Re: [NTB] Added /usb command-line switch. Use it when you want to run NoteTab fr

  • John Mitchell
    Message 1 of 24 , Apr 30 7:39 PM
      Eb

      You are not missing anything but there is an easy workaround. Suppose
      you have installed NTB in a directory called NOTETAB on your USB stick.
      In the root of your USB drive create a command called NTB.BAT with the
      following...

      start .\notetab\notepro.exe /usb

      That should do it.

      Regards, John M

      Message 2 of 24 , May 1, 2007
        Hi John,

        Thanks for the answer. Network security policies
        preven my installing executables (.bat, .exe)
        on USB drives. I use flash ROMs for document
        and library storage only.

        I would personally be OK with running executables
        from a USB drive, but my (computer-phobic) clients
        would not be. It'd be like hotwiring a car. Not
        exactly the Windows norm of starting programs
        from the start menu or the desktop (from shortcuts).

        I too use a batchfile to start NoteTab, but its
        located on the hard disk, and does not break the
        link. But there are still many problems, especi-
        ally in installing the batchfile. For example,
        picture a novice user trying to assign a NoteTab
        icon to the batchfile shortcut.

        I'm simply looking for a cleaner way to do this.

        Cheers,

        Eb

        --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "John Mitchell" <notetab@...> wrote:

        > Eb
        >
        > You are not missing anything but there is an easy workaround. Suppose
        > you have installed NTB in a directory called NOTETAB on your USB stick.
        > In the root of your USB drive create a command called NTB.BAT with the
        > following...
        >
        > start .\notetab\notepro.exe /usb
        >
        > That should do it.
        >
        > Regards, John M

      • Jono
        Message 3 of 24 , Jun 29, 2007
          Hi - Even using the USB parameter, NotePro.exe creates a directory
          under C:\Documents and Settings\{username}\Application Data. It
          includes folders Favorites, Libraries, Spelling, Templates, and the
          files cntp5.nws and NotePro.ini.

          All my settings are being read from the ini file on the USB drive ok,
          but the favorites (and I don't know what else) is being read from the
          HDD, meaning no favorites at all.

          How can I get NoteTabPro to use the Favorites folder from the app
          directory on the USB drive and to not leave anything behind on the
          host computer?

          Thanks,
          Jono Martin

          > Hi LadyCK3,
          >
          > Here's an extract from the Help file:
          >
          > If your USB key doesn't have a permanent drive letter assigned to
          it,
          > file references saved in NoteTab's INI and Favorites lists may have
          > incorrect drive information. You can solve this problem by
          launching
          > NoteTab with the /usb command-line switch (new in version 5.2).
          This
          > will instruct NoteTab to look for the file on the USB drive if it
          > doesn't exist at the specified location. Using this switch also
          causes
          > NoteTab to store all its settings on the USB key. Example:
          >
          > NotePro.exe /usb
          >

          > ladyck3 wrote:
          > > I use NoteTab from a USB drive all the time. My question is what
          is
          > > this feature and why is it required? I've not needed anything
          special
          > > when using my flash drive before... then again I don't do this
          regex
          > > and clip stuff either (don't have the brain for it, old woman
          syndrome)
          > > hehe :)
          > >
          > > Anyway, please explain.
          > >
          > > Thanks....
          > >
          > > LadyCK3
          >
          > --
          > Regards,
          >
          > Eric Fookes
          > http://www.fookes.com/

        • ebbtidalflats
          Message 4 of 24 , Jun 30, 2007
            --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Jono" <jmartin@...> wrote:

            > Hi - Even using the USB parameter, NotePro.exe creates a directory
            > under C:\Documents and Settings\{username}\Application Data. It
            > includes folders Favorites, Libraries, Spelling, Templates, and the
            > files cntp5.nws and NotePro.ini.
            >
            > All my settings are being read from the ini file on the USB drive ok,
            > but the favorites (and I don't know what else) is being read from the
            > HDD, meaning no favorites at all.
            >
            > How can I get NoteTabPro to use the Favorites folder from the app
            > directory on the USB drive and to not leave anything behind on the
            > host computer?

            One way is to use a batch (cmd) file to start notetab, using the
            /USER switch INSTEAD of the /USB switch.

            I keep all my data on the usb drive, and force the drive letter to "Y"
            using the DOS "subst" command.

            That way all paths conform to the USB drive, regardless what drive
            letter comes up, and what computer it's running on.

            There are a whole lot of different possibilities with this, making it
            hard to be specific, but basically, this approach does NOT use the
            hard drive for data storage at all, except for stuff left behind from
            the installation. There is ONE SIDE-EFFECT: NoteTab will load hard
            disk libraries, if mising from the USB drive. This is YET ANOTHER
            problem with the user profile, installation.

            Ina ny case, my approach DOES require a NoteTab installation on each
            computer run on.

            You can install the batchfile on the PC, rather than the USB drive,
            BUT may need to add a bypass, if you want to deal with a missing USB
            stick.

            Generally, here is what you need - even if you run the batchfile from
            the USB drive directly:

            StartNoteTab.bat
            ----
            :: discover the actual USB drive letter:
            FOR %%I IN (D E F G H I J K) DO if exist %%I:\NTP\NTP.ini set
            SneakerNet=%%I:&GOTO FOUND
            GOTO END

            :FOUND
            :: remove existing Y: substitutes, if any, then create it again
            IF EXIST Y:\nul subst Y: /d
            subst Y: %SneakerNet%\

            :: start notetab
            start /WAIT D:\PROGRA~1\NoteTab5\NotePro.exe /USER=Y:\NTP

            :DONE
            IF EXIST Y:\nul subst Y: /d
            ----

            Add whatever eye candy you need, to make the dos winow more attractive
            to you.

            By the way, rather than avoiding left-behind-data, I actuall back up
            changed data to any of the 2 PC's I ordinarily run on, using XCOPY at
            the end of the batch file (before the DONE label). This gives my two
            fairly frequent backups, as well as the original on the USB stick.

            On other PCs, where I run on sombody else's PC, and NoteTab, I have a
            different batchfile, that doesn't backup.

            Cheers,

            Eb
          • ebbtidalflats
            Message 5 of 24 , Jun 30, 2007
              OOPS:

              > :: discover the actual USB drive letter:
              > FOR %%I IN (D E F G H I J K) DO if exist %%I:\NTP\NTP.ini set
              > SneakerNet=%%I:&GOTO FOUND

              I forgot to mention, that the filename "NTP\NTP.INI" was MY filename.
              You can pick any file at all to use as a way to detect the flash drive.

              Also, beware of long lines in the batch code.

              Eb
            • Eric Fookes
              Message 6 of 24 , Jun 30, 2007
                Hi Jono,

                If you want NoteTab to save all settings and favorites on your USB
                drive, you should also place a copy of your NotePro.ini file on it (same
                folder as NotePro.exe).

                Eric Fookes
                http://www.fookes.com/

              • ebbtidalflats
                Message 7 of 24 , Jul 1, 2007
                  Hi Eric,
                  PMFBI

                  You pushing the /USB switch over the /USER switch reminds me of the
                  problems I encountered with the /USB, when I tried it.

                  On Windows 2000, data AND the program on the USB stick:

                  WITH /USB, running FROM the USB stick,

                  1 Quick List, files mode (shows hard disk data path as ONLY option)

                  2 clear the path window

                  3 quit Notetab

                  4 restart

                  5 Quicklist shows hard disk NoteTab path and *.txt files,
                  WITHOUT intervening backslash !!

                  With the /USER switch, running from the desktop, does NOT exhibit this
                  problem.

                  This brings up several questions:

                  So where does the quick list get its filenames from?

                  Where (& why) does it lose its backslash?

                  Why doesn't it conform to the NoteTab norm of ALWAYS ending paths with
                  a backslash?

                  Why is it still getting files from the hard disk path, when running
                  from the USB drive?

                  and one question, only semi-related, which I've been meaning to ask:
                  Why doesn't the NoteTab installation offer to run as administrator for
                  this one process, INSTEAD of REQUIRING to SWITCH to the Administrator
                  account?

                  This (User Account management) is NOT just a Vista feature, but is
                  supported at least as far back as Windows 2000.

                  Eb

                  > Hi Jono,
                  >
                  > If you want NoteTab to save all settings and favorites on your USB
                  > drive, you should also place a copy of your NotePro.ini file on it
                  (same
                  > folder as NotePro.exe).

                • Jono
                  Message 8 of 24 , Jul 25, 2007
                    Hi Eric,

                    I have installed NoteTab Pro 5.3 on my USB thumb drive. I created
                    the following batch file to launch NoteTab:

                    @echo off
                    NotePro.exe /usb
                    Exit

                    When I launch the app with this batch file, it still creates a folder
                    called in C:\Documents and Settings\{username}\Application Data that
                    includes these folders and files:

                    /Favorites/
                    /Libraries/
                    /Spelling/
                    /Templates/
                    /NotePro.ini
                    /NotePro.fpr
                    /cntp5.nws

                    I copied the NotePro.ini to the installation directory on the thumb
                    drive, but it still uses the one on the C: drive.

                    I would like to make sure that everything stays on the thumb drive
                    with nothing being copied or created to the C: drive of the host
                    computer. Is that possible? Please explain how I can do this. I
                    have read through this thread and I am not at all clear on how to do
                    this. Just copying the NotePro.ini doesn't work.

                    Another thing I tried was to use the /user instead of the /usb as
                    someone suggested. That didn't seem to make any difference either.

                    Thanks for your help.

                    Jono

                    > Hi Jono,
                    >
                    > If you want NoteTab to save all settings and favorites on your USB
                    > drive, you should also place a copy of your NotePro.ini file on it
                    (same
                    > folder as NotePro.exe).
                    >
                    > --
                    > Regards,
                    >
                    > Eric Fookes
                    > http://www.fookes.com/
                    >
                    > Jono wrote:
                    > > Hi - Even using the USB parameter, NotePro.exe creates a
                    directory
                    > > under C:\Documents and Settings\{username}\Application Data. It
                    > > includes folders Favorites, Libraries, Spelling, Templates, and
                    the
                    > > files cntp5.nws and NotePro.ini.
                    > >
                    > > All my settings are being read from the ini file on the USB drive
                    ok,
                    > > but the favorites (and I don't know what else) is being read from
                    the
                    > > HDD, meaning no favorites at all.
                    > >
                    > > How can I get NoteTabPro to use the Favorites folder from the app
                    > > directory on the USB drive and to not leave anything behind on
                    the
                    > > host computer?
                    > >
                    > > Thanks,
                    > > Jono Martin
                    > >

                    > > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Eric Fookes <egroups@> wrote:
                    > >> Hi LadyCK3,
                    > >>
                    > >> Here's an extract from the Help file:
                    > >>
                    > >> If your USB key doesn't have a permanent drive letter assigned
                    > > it,
                    > >> file references saved in NoteTab's INI and Favorites lists may
                    have
                    > >> incorrect drive information. You can solve this problem by
                    > > launching
                    > >> NoteTab with the /usb command-line switch (new in version 5.2).
                    > > This
                    > >> will instruct NoteTab to look for the file on the USB drive if
                    it
                    > >> doesn't exist at the specified location. Using this switch also
                    > > causes
                    > >> NoteTab to store all its settings on the USB key. Example:
                    > >>
                    > >> NotePro.exe /usb

                    > > is
                    > > special
                    > > regex
                    > > syndrome)

                    > >> --
                    > >> Regards,
                    > >>
                    > >> Eric Fookes
                    > >> http://www.fookes.com/

                  • Jono
                    Message 9 of 24 , Jul 25, 2007
                      Eric - Please disregard my last post. I was copying a previous
                      NotePro.ini file to the USB drive which somehow told the app to
                      create the folder structure on the C: drive. After deleting the file
                      and allowing the new NotePro.ini file to stay in place, and then just
                      resetting the settings, it works great. I haven't seen any problems
                      at all.

                      Thanks for a great app!

                      Jono