Re: [NTB] Help for learner and setting UTF-8

  • Bruce Meyers
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 9, 2007
      [thelist] UTF-8 vs ISO-8859-] says:

      "If your Web site is in English, it makes no difference whether you use UTF-8 or ISO-8859-1. ISO-8859-1 is a subset of UTF-8."

      I struggled with this for a while and then found out that since everything I do is in English there really was no need to declare a character encoding.

      But if you are going to get really fussy about it, you can use this in the head section of your xhtml document
      [in the head section after the DOCTYPE declaration for strict xhtml]

      grace2much <geo.ferris@...> wrote:
      HI, I'm just learning xhtml via Ian Lloyd's book from Sitepoint. It
      it he mentions using basic wins notepad but he also recommended
      NoteTab Light. The book makes a big play on using UTF-8 and I'm happy
      to follow the book. But when I look in NPL I can't see the settings I
      need to change to make sure that as I follow the exercises in the book
      I will have saved my documents in both xhtml and UTF-8.

      Could someone please show me the different boxes etc I have to tick to
      make sure I start and finish without a major blip to begin with.

      Thanks in advance for all you help

      George

      Fookes Software: http://www.fookes.com
      Yahoo! Groups Links

    • tonychun9
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 14, 2008
        I'd like to share a recent experience I had while working with an XML
        editor and NoteTab Pro. The XML Editor provided a symbol library so I
        could work natively with characters like: ≥ ≤ μ Ω π ± √ Σ Θ. I assume
        it converted them to entities encoded in the UTF-8 character set.

        When I opened the resultant XML files in NoteTab Pro, I found that the
        symbol characters were converted to letters. Theta (Θ) became T. Sigma
        (Σ) became S. And so on. However, when I opened the XML file in
        Notepad++, the symbols were preserved. Though I have no way of testing
        whether they were converted to entities.

        This was terrible news because I've used NoteTab Light since 1995 and
        bought NoteTab Pro in 2004 because the autoreplace, clipboard
        replacement, and macro features make it my editor of choice.

        So, the bottom line is to use different tools for different tasks. No
        one size fits all. And I can still use NoteTab's clipboard replace
        feature while I work with any application.

        I look forward to seeing the wish list for NoteTab 6.

        Cheers,

        -Tony