Re: [NTB] Help for learner and setting UTF-8

  • loro
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 9, 2007
      Cary Driscoll wrote:
      >Unfortunately, NoteTab doesn't have any support for UTF-8.

      >grace2much wrote:
      >>HI, I'm just learning xhtml via Ian Lloyd's book from Sitepoint. It
      >>it he mentions using basic wins notepad but he also recommended
      >>NoteTab Light. The book makes a big play on using UTF-8 and I'm happy
      >>to follow the book. But when I look in NPL I can't see the settings I
      >>need to change to make sure that as I follow the exercises in the book
      >>I will have saved my documents in both xhtml and UTF-8.

      Ascii characters are encoded the same in Ascii/Ansi and UTF-8. So if you
      type only Ascii characters and use entities for the rest you can safely use
      a non-unicode editor and declare UTF-8 on the server.

      Better stick to Jody's rules and take this to the HTML list if we are going
      to talk more about HTML. :-)
      <mailto:ntb-HTML-Subscribe@...>

      Lotta
    • Bruce Meyers
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 9, 2007
        [thelist] UTF-8 vs ISO-8859-] says:

        "If your Web site is in English, it makes no difference whether you use UTF-8 or ISO-8859-1. ISO-8859-1 is a subset of UTF-8."

        I struggled with this for a while and then found out that since everything I do is in English there really was no need to declare a character encoding.

        But if you are going to get really fussy about it, you can use this in the head section of your xhtml document
        [in the head section after the DOCTYPE declaration for strict xhtml]

        grace2much <geo.ferris@...> wrote:
        HI, I'm just learning xhtml via Ian Lloyd's book from Sitepoint. It
        it he mentions using basic wins notepad but he also recommended
        NoteTab Light. The book makes a big play on using UTF-8 and I'm happy
        to follow the book. But when I look in NPL I can't see the settings I
        need to change to make sure that as I follow the exercises in the book
        I will have saved my documents in both xhtml and UTF-8.

        Could someone please show me the different boxes etc I have to tick to
        make sure I start and finish without a major blip to begin with.

        Thanks in advance for all you help

        George

        Fookes Software: http://www.fookes.com
        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • tonychun9
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 14, 2008
          I'd like to share a recent experience I had while working with an XML
          editor and NoteTab Pro. The XML Editor provided a symbol library so I
          could work natively with characters like: ≥ ≤ μ Ω π ± √ Σ Θ. I assume
          it converted them to entities encoded in the UTF-8 character set.

          When I opened the resultant XML files in NoteTab Pro, I found that the
          symbol characters were converted to letters. Theta (Θ) became T. Sigma
          (Σ) became S. And so on. However, when I opened the XML file in
          Notepad++, the symbols were preserved. Though I have no way of testing
          whether they were converted to entities.

          This was terrible news because I've used NoteTab Light since 1995 and
          bought NoteTab Pro in 2004 because the autoreplace, clipboard
          replacement, and macro features make it my editor of choice.

          So, the bottom line is to use different tools for different tasks. No
          one size fits all. And I can still use NoteTab's clipboard replace
          feature while I work with any application.

          I look forward to seeing the wish list for NoteTab 6.

          Cheers,

          -Tony