Help for learner and setting UTF-8

  • grace2much
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 9, 2007
      HI, I'm just learning xhtml via Ian Lloyd's book from Sitepoint. It
      it he mentions using basic wins notepad but he also recommended
      NoteTab Light. The book makes a big play on using UTF-8 and I'm happy
      to follow the book. But when I look in NPL I can't see the settings I
      need to change to make sure that as I follow the exercises in the book
      I will have saved my documents in both xhtml and UTF-8.

      Could someone please show me the different boxes etc I have to tick to
      make sure I start and finish without a major blip to begin with.

      Thanks in advance for all you help

      George
    • Cary Driscoll

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 9, 2007
          Cary Driscoll wrote:
          >Unfortunately, NoteTab doesn't have any support for UTF-8.

          >grace2much wrote:
          >>HI, I'm just learning xhtml via Ian Lloyd's book from Sitepoint. It
          >>it he mentions using basic wins notepad but he also recommended
          >>NoteTab Light. The book makes a big play on using UTF-8 and I'm happy
          >>to follow the book. But when I look in NPL I can't see the settings I
          >>need to change to make sure that as I follow the exercises in the book
          >>I will have saved my documents in both xhtml and UTF-8.

          Ascii characters are encoded the same in Ascii/Ansi and UTF-8. So if you
          type only Ascii characters and use entities for the rest you can safely use
          a non-unicode editor and declare UTF-8 on the server.

          Better stick to Jody's rules and take this to the HTML list if we are going
          to talk more about HTML. :-)
          <mailto:ntb-HTML-Subscribe@...>

          Lotta
        • Bruce Meyers
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 9, 2007
            [thelist] UTF-8 vs ISO-8859-] says:

            "If your Web site is in English, it makes no difference whether you use UTF-8 or ISO-8859-1. ISO-8859-1 is a subset of UTF-8."

            I struggled with this for a while and then found out that since everything I do is in English there really was no need to declare a character encoding.

            But if you are going to get really fussy about it, you can use this in the head section of your xhtml document
            [in the head section after the DOCTYPE declaration for strict xhtml]

            grace2much <geo.ferris@...> wrote:
            HI, I'm just learning xhtml via Ian Lloyd's book from Sitepoint. It
            it he mentions using basic wins notepad but he also recommended
            NoteTab Light. The book makes a big play on using UTF-8 and I'm happy
            to follow the book. But when I look in NPL I can't see the settings I
            need to change to make sure that as I follow the exercises in the book
            I will have saved my documents in both xhtml and UTF-8.

            Could someone please show me the different boxes etc I have to tick to
            make sure I start and finish without a major blip to begin with.

            Thanks in advance for all you help

            George

            Fookes Software: http://www.fookes.com
            Yahoo! Groups Links

          • tonychun9
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 14 7:18 PM
              I'd like to share a recent experience I had while working with an XML
              editor and NoteTab Pro. The XML Editor provided a symbol library so I
              could work natively with characters like: ≥ ≤ μ Ω π ± √ Σ Θ. I assume
              it converted them to entities encoded in the UTF-8 character set.

              When I opened the resultant XML files in NoteTab Pro, I found that the
              symbol characters were converted to letters. Theta (Θ) became T. Sigma
              (Σ) became S. And so on. However, when I opened the XML file in
              Notepad++, the symbols were preserved. Though I have no way of testing
              whether they were converted to entities.

              This was terrible news because I've used NoteTab Light since 1995 and
              bought NoteTab Pro in 2004 because the autoreplace, clipboard
              replacement, and macro features make it my editor of choice.

              So, the bottom line is to use different tools for different tasks. No
              one size fits all. And I can still use NoteTab's clipboard replace
              feature while I work with any application.

              I look forward to seeing the wish list for NoteTab 6.

              Cheers,

              -Tony