Added /usb command-line switch. Use it when you want to run NoteTab from a USB k

  • ladyck3
    Message 1 of 24 , Apr 5 8:51 AM
      I use NoteTab from a USB drive all the time. My question is what is
      this feature and why is it required? I've not needed anything special
      when using my flash drive before... then again I don't do this regex
      and clip stuff either (don't have the brain for it, old woman syndrome)
      hehe :)

      Anyway, please explain.

      Thanks....

      LadyCK3
    • Marcelo de Castro Bastos
      Message 2 of 24 , Apr 5 9:27 AM
        On the last exciting episode, aired on 5/4/2007 12:51, ladyck3 invited
        the wrath of the gods by saying:
        > I use NoteTab from a USB drive all the time. My question is what is
        > this feature and why is it required? I've not needed anything special
        > when using my flash drive before... then again I don't do this regex
        > and clip stuff either (don't have the brain for it, old woman syndrome)
        > hehe :)

        Yes, even without the /USB, Notetab performs nicely in a flash drive. I
        suppose the /USB switch improves on that, but would be nice knowing what
        are those improvements.

        In addition, I would like (for next version, I suppose -- unless it's
        already there but is undocumented) to be able to set up USB-mode for
        Notetab through a .ini file. Some application managers for USB (such as
        the one by PortableApps.com) only list EXE files, not BAT or CMD files.
        So, in order to use USB-mode, presently I have to create a batch file
        and then compile it with a Bat-to-Exe utility, and then set up the
        application loader accordingly. There should be an easier way...

        Marcelo
        -=-=-
        My computer has a terminal illness
        * TagZilla 0.066 on Seamonkey 1.1
      • ladyck3@tx.rr.com
        Message 3 of 24 , Apr 5 10:54 AM
          ---- Marcelo de Castro Bastos <mcblista@...> wrote:
          > On the last exciting episode, aired on 5/4/2007 12:51, ladyck3 invited
          > the wrath of the gods by saying:

          Ok, so call me totally ignorant, why am I invoking the wrath of some god?? Or don't I wanna know? Ok, so what they say must be true... ignorance is bliss and I'm very blissful today :)

          :)
        • Eric Fookes
          Message 4 of 24 , Apr 7 4:02 PM
            Hi LadyCK3,

            Here's an extract from the Help file:

            If your USB key doesn't have a permanent drive letter assigned to it,
            file references saved in NoteTab's INI and Favorites lists may have
            incorrect drive information. You can solve this problem by launching
            NoteTab with the /usb command-line switch (new in version 5.2). This
            will instruct NoteTab to look for the file on the USB drive if it
            doesn't exist at the specified location. Using this switch also causes
            NoteTab to store all its settings on the USB key. Example:

            NotePro.exe /usb

            ladyck3 wrote:
            > I use NoteTab from a USB drive all the time. My question is what is
            > this feature and why is it required? I've not needed anything special
            > when using my flash drive before... then again I don't do this regex
            > and clip stuff either (don't have the brain for it, old woman syndrome)
            > hehe :)
            >
            > Anyway, please explain.
            >
            > Thanks....
            >
            > LadyCK3

            Eric Fookes
            http://www.fookes.com/
          • Greg Chapman
            Message 5 of 24 , Apr 11 4:19 PM
              Hi Eric,

              On 08 Apr 07 00:02 Eric Fookes <egroups@...> said:
              > Here's an extract from the Help file:
              >
              > If your USB key doesn't have a permanent drive letter assigned
              > to it, file references saved in NoteTab's INI and Favorites
              > lists may have incorrect drive information. You can solve this
              > problem by launching NoteTab with the /usb command-line switch
              > (new in version 5.2). This will instruct NoteTab to look for
              > the file on the USB drive if it doesn't exist at the specified
              > location. Using this switch also causes NoteTab to store all
              > its settings on the USB key. Example:
              >
              > NotePro.exe /usb

              I'm confused by your last sentence.

              I haven't tried it, but I understand that I could always just copy my
              entire NoteTab program folder to my USB drive and run it from there.

              Now it seems that if I want to save my files to the same stick, I am
              best off creating a shortcut which includes the /usb command line
              switch, and then it won't matter what drive letter the stick is
              assigned when inserted on any machine, it will still find everything,
              because the ini file is written appropriately.

              Do I understand it right?

              Greg
            • Eric Fookes
              Message 6 of 24 , Apr 11 4:52 PM
                Hi Greg,

                Yes, I think you understood correctly. Here's an example with a document
                file reference in the INI file, which was saved on a USB drive assigned
                the letter F:

                [AutoLoad]
                LoadFiles=1
                FileName_1=F:\My Documents\Test.txt

                If next time you plug in your USB drive it is assigned letter G:, then
                run NoteTab, it will not find your file on drive F:, because it is now
                on drive G:. The document will fail to open.

                When you run NoteTab with the /USB switch, NoteTab will first look for
                the file on drive F:. If it doesn't find it there, it will then look for
                the file on the USB drive at the following location:

                G:\My Documents\Test.txt

                and successfully open it.

                Eric Fookes
                http://www.fookes.com/

                Greg Chapman wrote:
                > Hi Eric,
                >
                > On 08 Apr 07 00:02 Eric Fookes <egroups@...> said:
                >> Here's an extract from the Help file:
                >>
                >> If your USB key doesn't have a permanent drive letter assigned
                >> to it, file references saved in NoteTab's INI and Favorites
                >> lists may have incorrect drive information. You can solve this
                >> problem by launching NoteTab with the /usb command-line switch
                >> (new in version 5.2). This will instruct NoteTab to look for
                >> the file on the USB drive if it doesn't exist at the specified
                >> location. Using this switch also causes NoteTab to store all
                >> its settings on the USB key. Example:
                >>
                >> NotePro.exe /usb
                >
                > I'm confused by your last sentence.
                >
                > I haven't tried it, but I understand that I could always just copy my
                > entire NoteTab program folder to my USB drive and run it from there.
                >
                > Now it seems that if I want to save my files to the same stick, I am
                > best off creating a shortcut which includes the /usb command line
                > switch, and then it won't matter what drive letter the stick is
                > assigned when inserted on any machine, it will still find everything,
                > because the ini file is written appropriately.
                >
                > Do I understand it right?
                >
                > Greg
              • abairheart
                Message 7 of 24 , Apr 17 6:01 AM
                  Eric,

                  How does this work with files that contain dynamic links to other
                  documents? I.e. "[ X:\NTP\Documents\somepath\filename.txt ]"

                  Will Notetab also translate such links?

                  Abair

                  > When you run NoteTab with the /USB switch, NoteTab will first look for
                  > the file on drive F:. If it doesn't find it there, it will then look
                  for
                  > the file on the USB drive at the following location:
                  >
                  > G:\My Documents\Test.txt
                  >
                  > and successfully open it.
                • Greg Chapman
                  Message 8 of 24 , Apr 17 6:27 AM
                    Hi Eric,

                    On 12 Apr 07 00:52 Eric Fookes <egroups@...> said:
                    > Yes, I think you understood correctly. Here's an example with a
                    > document file reference in the INI file, which was saved on a
                    > USB drive assigned the letter F:
                    >
                    > [AutoLoad]
                    > LoadFiles=1
                    > FileName_1=F:\My Documents\Test.txt
                    >

                    > If next time you plug in your USB drive it is assigned letter G:,
                    > then run NoteTab, it will not find your file on drive F:,
                    > because it is now on drive G:. The document will fail to open.
                    >
                    > When you run NoteTab with the /USB switch, NoteTab will first look
                    > for the file on drive F:. If it doesn't find it there, it will
                    > then look for the file on the USB drive at the following location:
                    >
                    > G:\My Documents\Test.txt
                    >
                    > and successfully open it.

                    You picked a good example! On my normal machine my internal DVD drive
                    is assigned D:, my external CD writer E: and my USB stick F:.

                    What your example doesn't make clear is what happens should I take my
                    USB stick to a friend's machine where my stick gets assigned an
                    earlier letter in the alphabet. Will it happily assign it E: and
                    allow me to read the Test.txt file should the host machine only have
                    drives assigned up to D: ?

                    Greg
                  • lm_hamilton
                    Message 9 of 24 , Apr 17 6:39 AM
                      Abair,

                      If the drive exists on the PC you use the USB stick, then it will look
                      for that document path, and if found, open the document. If that
                      document is not found, it will look for the same path, but with the
                      drive letter of the USB stick. It will then give the usual error if it
                      cannot find the path or document.

                      Larry Hamilton

                      --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "abairheart" <abairheart@...> wrote:

                      > Eric,
                      >
                      > How does this work with files that contain dynamic links to other
                      > documents? I.e. "[ X:\NTP\Documents\somepath\filename.txt ]"
                      >
                      > Will Notetab also translate such links?
                      >

                      > Abair
                      >

                      > > When you run NoteTab with the /USB switch, NoteTab will first look
                      for
                      > > the file on drive F:. If it doesn't find it there, it will then look
                      > for
                      > > the file on the USB drive at the following location:
                      > >
                      > > G:\My Documents\Test.txt
                      > >
                      > > and successfully open it.

                    • Dave
                      Message 10 of 24 , Apr 18 5:46 AM
                        Hi
                        As far as I know USB sticks are always assigned the next letter up ,it does
                        not how many partitions or drives you have.
                        as far as the otl links from the stick to computer no problem the other it
                        probably does not work.
                        THANKYOU DAVE M

                        >> Yes, I think you understood correctly. Here's an example with a
                        >> document file reference in the INI file, which was saved on a
                        >> USB drive assigned the letter F:
                        >>
                        >> [AutoLoad]
                        >> LoadFiles=1
                        >> FileName_1=F:\My Documents\Test.txt
                        >>

                        >> If next time you plug in your USB drive it is assigned letter G:,
                        >> then run NoteTab, it will not find your file on drive F:,
                        >> because it is now on drive G:. The document will fail to open.
                        >>
                        >> When you run NoteTab with the /USB switch, NoteTab will first look
                        >> for the file on drive F:. If it doesn't find it there, it will
                        >> then look for the file on the USB drive at the following location:
                        >>
                        >> G:\My Documents\Test.txt
                        >>
                        >> and successfully open it.
                        >
                        > You picked a good example! On my normal machine my internal DVD drive
                        > is assigned D:, my external CD writer E: and my USB stick F:.
                        >
                        > What your example doesn't make clear is what happens should I take my
                        > USB stick to a friend's machine where my stick gets assigned an
                        > earlier letter in the alphabet. Will it happily assign it E: and
                        > allow me to read the Test.txt file should the host machine only have
                        > drives assigned up to D: ?
                        >
                        > Greg

                        > Fookes Software: http://www.fookes.com
                        > Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • David Smart
                        Message 11 of 24 , Apr 18 6:02 AM
                          From what I've seen, it will (XP) grab the next available letter the first
                          time it's inserted. After that it will tend to remember the letter.

                          This becomes a problem when you have two memory sticks (or MP3 players,
                          cameras, etc, that pretend to be memory sticks). If you plug a second one
                          in while the first is in, then the second one will get the next letter
                          beyond the first. And it'll probably get that letter again next time you
                          plug it in, regardless of whether there is another device plugged in or not.
                          To move it back, you'll need to reassign the drive letter under computer
                          administration.

                          So, normally not a problem, but it can bite occasionally.

                          Regards, Dave S

                          > As far as I know USB sticks are always assigned the next letter up ,it
                          > does
                          > not how many partitions or drives you have.
                          > as far as the otl links from the stick to computer no problem the other it
                          > probably does not work.
                          > THANKYOU DAVE M

                        • Marcelo de Castro Bastos
                          Message 12 of 24 , Apr 18 6:15 AM
                            On the last exciting episode, aired on 18/4/2007 09:46, Dave invited the
                            wrath of the gods by saying:
                            > Hi
                            > As far as I know USB sticks are always assigned the next letter up ,it does
                            > not how many partitions or drives you have.
                            > as far as the otl links from the stick to computer no problem the other it
                            > probably does not work.
                            > THANKYOU DAVE M

                            Actually, they are assigned the first available letter (except A: and
                            B:, and possibly C: -- never tested that one), meaning that if you
                            rename your CD-ROM from D: to, say, R:, the USB flash drive would not be
                            assigned S:, but D:. I think. U3-compatible flash drives need *two*
                            consecutive letters.

                            There's also a known bug in Windows in which it only considers LOCAL
                            drives when assigning letters to USB devices. Meaning if you have local
                            disks C: and D: and a network drive on E:, your USB drive will ALSO be
                            assigned to E:. And the one you will see is the network drive -- your
                            USB drive will be "hidden" by the network drive.

                            Which means that it's good practice to keep network drives in the upper
                            range of letters.

                            Windows XP (and, I assume, 2003 and Vista) suggest assigning network
                            drive letters downwards from Z:, but this is by no means mandatory, and
                            many network setups will automatically map network letters on logon --
                            some of them are low enough to be troublesome (I have seen setups that
                            map to the F: drive, and probably there are some around mapping to E:
                            drive). I make a practice not to assign network mappings below I:, and
                            actually prefer to keep above P:

                            If you see yourself in a situation in which your USB flash drive is
                            conflicting with a network mapping, and it would be impractical to
                            change the network mapping assignments (large networks, for instance),
                            change (or ask your sysadmin to do it for you) the drive letter for
                            the CD-ROM or some other nonessential local disk to some available letter.

                            Marcelo

                            -=-=-
                            Objects in taglines are closer than they appear.
                            * TagZilla 0.066 on Seamonkey 1.1
                          • Alan G
                            Message 13 of 24 , Apr 19 12:57 AM
                              On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 23:02:09 +1000, David Smart wrote:

                              > From what I've seen, it will (XP) grab the next available letter the first
                              > time it's inserted. After that it will tend to remember the letter.
                              >
                              > This becomes a problem when you have two memory sticks (or MP3 players,
                              > cameras, etc, that pretend to be memory sticks). If you plug a second one
                              > in while the first is in, then the second one will get the next letter
                              > beyond the first. And it'll probably get that letter again next time you
                              > plug it in, regardless of whether there is another device plugged in or not.

                              On the other hand, this drive letter stickiness can be used to
                              advantage. I have a thumb drive that I have forced to be "Drive I" on
                              each computer I use it on. This was done on each computer to override
                              the system assigned drive letter. For me that forced it to be above the
                              highest existing drive on every computer but well below the range I use
                              for network drives.

                              My email (Agent) database is in a directory on the thumb drive. I take
                              it to whatever computer I'm using. The email program is installed on
                              each computer's hard drive and configured to look for its database on
                              drive I:. If I've failed to plug in the thumb drive, the email
                              application reports that it can't find its database.

                              You can set the drive letter on Windows XP using Computer Management
                              (Local) / Storage / Disk Management. Then selecting the drive, right
                              clicking and selecting Change Drive Letter and Paths.
                            • abairheart
                              Message 14 of 24 , Apr 23 9:16 AM
                                Larry,

                                Thanks for the answer.

                                O course now I can't find the file where I had the problem.

                                I use the USB stick on multiple computers, on other people's NoteTab
                                installations. Different Windows versions, different drive letter
                                availability, etc. I guess I'll have to create a test for this.

                                Abair

                                --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "lm_hamilton" <lmh@...> wrote:

                                > Abair,
                                >
                                > If the drive exists on the PC you use the USB stick, then it will look
                                > for that document path, and if found, open the document. If that
                                > document is not found, it will look for the same path, but with the
                                > drive letter of the USB stick. It will then give the usual error if it
                                > cannot find the path or document.
                                >
                                > Larry Hamilton
                                >
                                > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "abairheart" <abairheart@> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Eric,
                                > >
                                > > How does this work with files that contain dynamic links to other
                                > > documents? I.e. "[ X:\NTP\Documents\somepath\filename.txt ]"
                                > >
                                > > Will Notetab also translate such links?
                                > >

                                > > Abair
                                > >

                                > > > When you run NoteTab with the /USB switch, NoteTab will first look
                                > for
                                > > > the file on drive F:. If it doesn't find it there, it will then look
                                > > for
                                > > > the file on the USB drive at the following location:
                                > > >
                                > > > G:\My Documents\Test.txt
                                > > >
                                > > > and successfully open it.

                              • ebbtidalflats
                                Message 15 of 24 , Apr 30 12:58 PM
                                  Hi Eric, or anybody that knows the answer,

                                  I've tried to get NoteTab to run from a USB stick,
                                  but my destop shortcut to NoteTab fails, when the
                                  USB drive letter changes.

                                  Am I missing something?

                                  Regards,

                                  Eb

                                  > If your USB key doesn't have a permanent drive letter assigned to it,
                                  > file references saved in NoteTab's INI and Favorites lists may have
                                  > incorrect drive information.

                                  > You can solve this problem by launching
                                  > NoteTab with the /usb command-line switch (new in version 5.2). This
                                  > will instruct NoteTab to look for the file on the USB drive if it
                                  > doesn't exist at the specified location. Using this switch also causes
                                  > NoteTab to store all its settings on the USB key. Example:
                                  >
                                  > NotePro.exe /usb

                                • John Mitchell
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Apr 30 7:39 PM
                                    Eb

                                    You are not missing anything but there is an easy workaround. Suppose
                                    you have installed NTB in a directory called NOTETAB on your USB stick.
                                    In the root of your USB drive create a command called NTB.BAT with the
                                    following...

                                    start .\notetab\notepro.exe /usb

                                    That should do it.

                                    Regards, John M

                                    Hi Eric, or anybody that knows the answer,

                                    I've tried to get NoteTab to run from a USB stick,
                                    but my destop shortcut to NoteTab fails, when the
                                    USB drive letter changes.

                                    Am I missing something?

                                    Regards,

                                    Eb

                                    > If your USB key doesn't have a permanent drive letter assigned to it,
                                    > file references saved in NoteTab's INI and Favorites lists may have
                                    > incorrect drive information.

                                    > You can solve this problem by launching
                                    > NoteTab with the /usb command-line switch (new in version 5.2). This
                                    > will instruct NoteTab to look for the file on the USB drive if it
                                    > doesn't exist at the specified location. Using this switch also causes
                                    > NoteTab to store all its settings on the USB key. Example:
                                    >
                                    > NotePro.exe /usb

                                  • ebbtidalflats
                                    Message 17 of 24 , May 1, 2007
                                      Hi John,

                                      Thanks for the answer. Network security policies
                                      preven my installing executables (.bat, .exe)
                                      on USB drives. I use flash ROMs for document
                                      and library storage only.

                                      I would personally be OK with running executables
                                      from a USB drive, but my (computer-phobic) clients
                                      would not be. It'd be like hotwiring a car. Not
                                      exactly the Windows norm of starting programs
                                      from the start menu or the desktop (from shortcuts).

                                      I too use a batchfile to start NoteTab, but its
                                      located on the hard disk, and does not break the
                                      link. But there are still many problems, especi-
                                      ally in installing the batchfile. For example,
                                      picture a novice user trying to assign a NoteTab
                                      icon to the batchfile shortcut.

                                      I'm simply looking for a cleaner way to do this.

                                      Cheers,

                                      Eb

                                      --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "John Mitchell" <notetab@...> wrote:

                                      > Eb
                                      >
                                      > You are not missing anything but there is an easy workaround. Suppose
                                      > you have installed NTB in a directory called NOTETAB on your USB stick.
                                      > In the root of your USB drive create a command called NTB.BAT with the
                                      > following...
                                      >
                                      > start .\notetab\notepro.exe /usb
                                      >
                                      > That should do it.
                                      >
                                      > Regards, John M

                                    • Jono
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Jun 29, 2007
                                        Hi - Even using the USB parameter, NotePro.exe creates a directory
                                        under C:\Documents and Settings\{username}\Application Data. It
                                        includes folders Favorites, Libraries, Spelling, Templates, and the
                                        files cntp5.nws and NotePro.ini.

                                        All my settings are being read from the ini file on the USB drive ok,
                                        but the favorites (and I don't know what else) is being read from the
                                        HDD, meaning no favorites at all.

                                        How can I get NoteTabPro to use the Favorites folder from the app
                                        directory on the USB drive and to not leave anything behind on the
                                        host computer?

                                        Thanks,
                                        Jono Martin

                                        > Hi LadyCK3,
                                        >
                                        > Here's an extract from the Help file:
                                        >
                                        > If your USB key doesn't have a permanent drive letter assigned to
                                        it,
                                        > file references saved in NoteTab's INI and Favorites lists may have
                                        > incorrect drive information. You can solve this problem by
                                        launching
                                        > NoteTab with the /usb command-line switch (new in version 5.2).
                                        This
                                        > will instruct NoteTab to look for the file on the USB drive if it
                                        > doesn't exist at the specified location. Using this switch also
                                        causes
                                        > NoteTab to store all its settings on the USB key. Example:
                                        >
                                        > NotePro.exe /usb
                                        >

                                        > ladyck3 wrote:
                                        > > I use NoteTab from a USB drive all the time. My question is what
                                        is
                                        > > this feature and why is it required? I've not needed anything
                                        special
                                        > > when using my flash drive before... then again I don't do this
                                        regex
                                        > > and clip stuff either (don't have the brain for it, old woman
                                        syndrome)
                                        > > hehe :)
                                        > >
                                        > > Anyway, please explain.
                                        > >
                                        > > Thanks....
                                        > >
                                        > > LadyCK3
                                        >
                                        > --
                                        > Regards,
                                        >
                                        > Eric Fookes
                                        > http://www.fookes.com/

                                      • ebbtidalflats
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Jun 30, 2007
                                          --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Jono" <jmartin@...> wrote:

                                          > Hi - Even using the USB parameter, NotePro.exe creates a directory
                                          > under C:\Documents and Settings\{username}\Application Data. It
                                          > includes folders Favorites, Libraries, Spelling, Templates, and the
                                          > files cntp5.nws and NotePro.ini.
                                          >
                                          > All my settings are being read from the ini file on the USB drive ok,
                                          > but the favorites (and I don't know what else) is being read from the
                                          > HDD, meaning no favorites at all.
                                          >
                                          > How can I get NoteTabPro to use the Favorites folder from the app
                                          > directory on the USB drive and to not leave anything behind on the
                                          > host computer?

                                          One way is to use a batch (cmd) file to start notetab, using the
                                          /USER switch INSTEAD of the /USB switch.

                                          I keep all my data on the usb drive, and force the drive letter to "Y"
                                          using the DOS "subst" command.

                                          That way all paths conform to the USB drive, regardless what drive
                                          letter comes up, and what computer it's running on.

                                          There are a whole lot of different possibilities with this, making it
                                          hard to be specific, but basically, this approach does NOT use the
                                          hard drive for data storage at all, except for stuff left behind from
                                          the installation. There is ONE SIDE-EFFECT: NoteTab will load hard
                                          disk libraries, if mising from the USB drive. This is YET ANOTHER
                                          problem with the user profile, installation.

                                          Ina ny case, my approach DOES require a NoteTab installation on each
                                          computer run on.

                                          You can install the batchfile on the PC, rather than the USB drive,
                                          BUT may need to add a bypass, if you want to deal with a missing USB
                                          stick.

                                          Generally, here is what you need - even if you run the batchfile from
                                          the USB drive directly:

                                          StartNoteTab.bat
                                          ----
                                          :: discover the actual USB drive letter:
                                          FOR %%I IN (D E F G H I J K) DO if exist %%I:\NTP\NTP.ini set
                                          SneakerNet=%%I:&GOTO FOUND
                                          GOTO END

                                          :FOUND
                                          :: remove existing Y: substitutes, if any, then create it again
                                          IF EXIST Y:\nul subst Y: /d
                                          subst Y: %SneakerNet%\

                                          :: start notetab
                                          start /WAIT D:\PROGRA~1\NoteTab5\NotePro.exe /USER=Y:\NTP

                                          :DONE
                                          IF EXIST Y:\nul subst Y: /d
                                          ----

                                          Add whatever eye candy you need, to make the dos winow more attractive
                                          to you.

                                          By the way, rather than avoiding left-behind-data, I actuall back up
                                          changed data to any of the 2 PC's I ordinarily run on, using XCOPY at
                                          the end of the batch file (before the DONE label). This gives my two
                                          fairly frequent backups, as well as the original on the USB stick.

                                          On other PCs, where I run on sombody else's PC, and NoteTab, I have a
                                          different batchfile, that doesn't backup.

                                          Cheers,

                                          Eb
                                        • ebbtidalflats
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Jun 30, 2007
                                            OOPS:

                                            > :: discover the actual USB drive letter:
                                            > FOR %%I IN (D E F G H I J K) DO if exist %%I:\NTP\NTP.ini set
                                            > SneakerNet=%%I:&GOTO FOUND

                                            I forgot to mention, that the filename "NTP\NTP.INI" was MY filename.
                                            You can pick any file at all to use as a way to detect the flash drive.

                                            Also, beware of long lines in the batch code.

                                            Eb
                                          • Eric Fookes
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Jun 30, 2007
                                              Hi Jono,

                                              If you want NoteTab to save all settings and favorites on your USB
                                              drive, you should also place a copy of your NotePro.ini file on it (same
                                              folder as NotePro.exe).

                                              Eric Fookes
                                              http://www.fookes.com/

                                            • ebbtidalflats
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Jul 1, 2007
                                                Hi Eric,
                                                PMFBI

                                                You pushing the /USB switch over the /USER switch reminds me of the
                                                problems I encountered with the /USB, when I tried it.

                                                On Windows 2000, data AND the program on the USB stick:

                                                WITH /USB, running FROM the USB stick,

                                                1 Quick List, files mode (shows hard disk data path as ONLY option)

                                                2 clear the path window

                                                3 quit Notetab

                                                4 restart

                                                5 Quicklist shows hard disk NoteTab path and *.txt files,
                                                WITHOUT intervening backslash !!

                                                With the /USER switch, running from the desktop, does NOT exhibit this
                                                problem.

                                                This brings up several questions:

                                                So where does the quick list get its filenames from?

                                                Where (& why) does it lose its backslash?

                                                Why doesn't it conform to the NoteTab norm of ALWAYS ending paths with
                                                a backslash?

                                                Why is it still getting files from the hard disk path, when running
                                                from the USB drive?

                                                and one question, only semi-related, which I've been meaning to ask:
                                                Why doesn't the NoteTab installation offer to run as administrator for
                                                this one process, INSTEAD of REQUIRING to SWITCH to the Administrator
                                                account?

                                                This (User Account management) is NOT just a Vista feature, but is
                                                supported at least as far back as Windows 2000.

                                                Eb

                                                > Hi Jono,
                                                >
                                                > If you want NoteTab to save all settings and favorites on your USB
                                                > drive, you should also place a copy of your NotePro.ini file on it
                                                (same
                                                > folder as NotePro.exe).

                                              • Jono
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Jul 25, 2007
                                                  Hi Eric,

                                                  I have installed NoteTab Pro 5.3 on my USB thumb drive. I created
                                                  the following batch file to launch NoteTab:

                                                  @echo off
                                                  NotePro.exe /usb
                                                  Exit

                                                  When I launch the app with this batch file, it still creates a folder
                                                  called in C:\Documents and Settings\{username}\Application Data that
                                                  includes these folders and files:

                                                  /Favorites/
                                                  /Libraries/
                                                  /Spelling/
                                                  /Templates/
                                                  /NotePro.ini
                                                  /NotePro.fpr
                                                  /cntp5.nws

                                                  I copied the NotePro.ini to the installation directory on the thumb
                                                  drive, but it still uses the one on the C: drive.

                                                  I would like to make sure that everything stays on the thumb drive
                                                  with nothing being copied or created to the C: drive of the host
                                                  computer. Is that possible? Please explain how I can do this. I
                                                  have read through this thread and I am not at all clear on how to do
                                                  this. Just copying the NotePro.ini doesn't work.

                                                  Another thing I tried was to use the /user instead of the /usb as
                                                  someone suggested. That didn't seem to make any difference either.

                                                  Thanks for your help.

                                                  Jono

                                                  > Hi Jono,
                                                  >
                                                  > If you want NoteTab to save all settings and favorites on your USB
                                                  > drive, you should also place a copy of your NotePro.ini file on it
                                                  (same
                                                  > folder as NotePro.exe).
                                                  >
                                                  > --
                                                  > Regards,
                                                  >
                                                  > Eric Fookes
                                                  > http://www.fookes.com/
                                                  >
                                                  > Jono wrote:
                                                  > > Hi - Even using the USB parameter, NotePro.exe creates a
                                                  directory
                                                  > > under C:\Documents and Settings\{username}\Application Data. It
                                                  > > includes folders Favorites, Libraries, Spelling, Templates, and
                                                  the
                                                  > > files cntp5.nws and NotePro.ini.
                                                  > >
                                                  > > All my settings are being read from the ini file on the USB drive
                                                  ok,
                                                  > > but the favorites (and I don't know what else) is being read from
                                                  the
                                                  > > HDD, meaning no favorites at all.
                                                  > >
                                                  > > How can I get NoteTabPro to use the Favorites folder from the app
                                                  > > directory on the USB drive and to not leave anything behind on
                                                  the
                                                  > > host computer?
                                                  > >
                                                  > > Thanks,
                                                  > > Jono Martin
                                                  > >

                                                  > > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Eric Fookes <egroups@> wrote:
                                                  > >> Hi LadyCK3,
                                                  > >>
                                                  > >> Here's an extract from the Help file:
                                                  > >>
                                                  > >> If your USB key doesn't have a permanent drive letter assigned
                                                  > > it,
                                                  > >> file references saved in NoteTab's INI and Favorites lists may
                                                  have
                                                  > >> incorrect drive information. You can solve this problem by
                                                  > > launching
                                                  > >> NoteTab with the /usb command-line switch (new in version 5.2).
                                                  > > This
                                                  > >> will instruct NoteTab to look for the file on the USB drive if
                                                  it
                                                  > >> doesn't exist at the specified location. Using this switch also
                                                  > > causes
                                                  > >> NoteTab to store all its settings on the USB key. Example:
                                                  > >>
                                                  > >> NotePro.exe /usb

                                                  > > is
                                                  > > special
                                                  > > regex
                                                  > > syndrome)

                                                  > >> --
                                                  > >> Regards,
                                                  > >>
                                                  > >> Eric Fookes
                                                  > >> http://www.fookes.com/

                                                • Jono
                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Jul 25, 2007
                                                    Eric - Please disregard my last post. I was copying a previous
                                                    NotePro.ini file to the USB drive which somehow told the app to
                                                    create the folder structure on the C: drive. After deleting the file
                                                    and allowing the new NotePro.ini file to stay in place, and then just
                                                    resetting the settings, it works great. I haven't seen any problems
                                                    at all.

                                                    Thanks for a great app!

                                                    Jono