[NTB] Re: Need some help

  • threerandot
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 3, 2007
      I am just taking a look at this but it seems pretty complicated
      still. I am not sure if I am supposed to be replacing each individual
      line of text with the string you posted or just exactly what I am
      supposed to do. I have been taking a look at the help file but its
      still pretty sketchy to me.

      Thanks,
      Shawn

      --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "threerandot" <threerandot@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > thread and look up more on "Regular Expressions". Shows how smart I
      > am by not checking my help files more carefully.
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Shawn
      >

      > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Marcelo de Castro Bastos
      > <mcblista@> wrote:
      > >
      > > On the last exciting episode, aired on 3/4/2007 21:41, threerandot
      > > invited the wrath of the gods by saying:
      > > > As for this language:
      > > >
      > > > <li><a href="{[^"]+}" title="{[^"]+}">{[^<]+}</a></li>
      > > >
      > > > I have never used it before. A little complicated looking to
      me.
      > Up
      > > > to this point, I have been editing with basic html tags. I do
      > have
      > > > Note Tab Light 4.95. This must be somewhere in the Help files?
      > > >

      > > Yes. Search for "Regular Expressions" in the Help. It's a very
      > powerful
      > > feature of Notetab. It allows you to search & replace stuff that
      has
      > > quite a bit of variance, and do some pretty fancy things with the
      > > replacing string.
      > >
      > > In the example I gave you, it searches for the basic framework of
      > your
      > > "old" line, but allowing some variation in parts of it (the file
      > name
      > > and such). Those variable parts are given token identifiers, so
      you
      > can
      > > copy them to the "replace" string.
      > >
      > > To give a very short summary of the highpoints:
      > > The square brackets define a "class" of characters, meaning that
      any
      > > character belonging to that class can be accepted here. In the
      > example,
      > > the class [^"] contains any character, EXCEPT the quote mark
      > (the "^"
      > > means "not")
      > > The plus character means "one or more of the previous". So, [^"]+
      > means
      > > "any string that does NOT contain a quote character."
      > > The curly brackets "tag" the above string to be copied to
      > the "replace"
      > > string.
      > >
      > > In the "replace" string, the tokens \1, \2 and \3 mark the places
      > where
      > > the strings contained in the first, second and third pair of curly
      > > brackets in the "search" string should be inserted.
      > >
      > > Yes, it looks like what you get when you let your cat walk around
      > on the
      > > keyboard; but it's actually not that complicated, and it's REALLY,
      > > REALLY powerful. Worth learning.
      > >
      > > (By the way, one of the changes in Notetab 5 is a new, better
      > regular
      > > expression engine. It has a slightly different syntax, but it's
      > easy to
      > > adapt to it.)
      > >
      > > Marcelo
      > >

      > > -=-=-
      > > Looked up my family tree. Found out I'm the sap.

    • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 3, 2007
        Hi all, I mean this totally kind so don't misread :-)
        This discussion is better placed either on the clips list or the html
        list for notetab.
        It exceeds the idea of the plain old notetab list.

        What you want can easily be achieved with clips. Someone already
        pointed out the regular expressions (they sure look confusing at first)
        can solve much of the issue if you wish. The person also pointed out
        that notetab 5.x and notetab 4.95 have different regular expression
        engines, the later version being much superior. It might be a good time
        for an update.

        Don
        >> I am new here. I hope that someone here might be able to offer their
        >> help. I am developing photo galleries for my site with pure CSS
        >> Tooltips. However, even with Crimson Editor or Note Tab Light, the
        >> work is slow going.

      • abairheart
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 4, 2007
          At the level of NoteTab that you're using, the best way to handle this
          is to divide it up into several simple text replace ops:

          --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "threerandot" <threerandot@...> wrote:

          to:

          In the search menu, select replace

          1. replace "<li><a" with "<li<span class="link"><a"
          Click "Replace ALL"

          Click "Replace all"

          etc.

          If that will not do it for you, you'll have to take a crash course in
          clip code. I.e. Read the entire help file.

          Abair