Re: Need some help

  • threerandot
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 3, 2007
      Something that I think would make what I am attempting to do clearer
      is to show you a page that is completed and one that isn't.

      As for this language:

      <li><a href="{[^"]+}" title="{[^"]+}">{[^<]+}</a></li>

      I have never used it before. A little complicated looking to me. Up
      to this point, I have been editing with basic html tags. I do have
      Note Tab Light 4.95. This must be somewhere in the Help files?

      As I said, a page completed:
      http://www.runstop.de/bennysplace/set04a.html

      And here is an example of one not yet completed:
      http://www.runstop.de/bennysplace/set05a.html

      Place your cursor on the links. In the first page, a pure css tooltip
      pops up. I am attempting to create a more accessible gallery without
      the need for making d-link pages, as well as the need for javascript.

      Hope this clears things up a bit more...

      Thanks for your help,
      Shawn

      --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Marcelo de Castro Bastos
      <mcblista@...> wrote:

      > On the last exciting episode, aired on 3/4/2007 19:36, threerandot
      > invited the wrath of the gods by saying:
      > > Hi:
      > >
      > > I am new here. I hope that someone here might be able to offer
      their
      > > help. I am developing photo galleries for my site with pure CSS
      > > Tooltips. However, even with Crimson Editor or Note Tab Light,
      the
      > > work is slow going.
      > >
      > > Here is an example

      > > Here is what I want to change it to.
      > >
      > > <li><span class="link"><a href="whatever.jpg"
      title="whatever">Image

      > > In some cases I have as many as 90 to over 100 images. I use CSS
      > > make the tooltips show up. What I want to know is there a fast
      and
      > > easy way to create macros that will copy the names of images from
      one
      > > document to the next. For instance:
      > >
      > > Say I have an HTML page with a photo named bob.jpg. Is it
      possible
      > > for a program like Note Tab Light to see the first .jpg image and
      > > copy that name for that image to the second document? Then the
      third,
      > > the fourth and the fifth, right down the list? Up to now I have
      only
      > > been able to use the standard copy and paste keyboard shortcuts.
      Very
      > > slow work. Am I asking too much?
      > >
      > > This would be the end result:
      > >
      > > First Document (copied from)
      > >
      > > Second Document (desired result)
      > > <li><span class="link"><a href="bob02.jpg" title="Bob
      Again">Image

      > > I have searched around the net for a program that would do this.
      Any
      > > ideas are really appreciated. Freeware would be nice.
      > >

      > I'm not sure exactly what you are trying to accomplish here. I
      mean, I
      > probably didn't get the idea, but wouldn't it be easier to use a
      regular
      > expression-powered search & replace in the first document, and
      later to
      > copy the entire block of lines to the second one? Or even saving
      with a
      > different name?
      >
      > As for the regexp: In Notetab Lite (which is still in version 4.95,
      > AFAIK) something like searching for
      >
      > <li><a href="{[^"]+}" title="{[^"]+}">{[^<]+}</a></li>
      >
      > and replacing it with
      >
      > <li><span class="link"><a href="\1"
      >
      > would probably work. If you have a version 5 Notetab, of course,
      the regexp syntax is a bit different.

      > As for writing a clip to search for image filenames in a file and
      pasting them on another... it's certainly possible. I once did a clip
      that takes a page from Blogspot and reorders the blog entries so they
      are in normal chronological order, top to bottom, instead of in the
      inverted order common in blogs. It does that searching backwards in
      the original file and cutting & pasting data to a new file. So your
      idea should be possible.

      > I just don't see, from the limited info you gave us, whether such a
      procedure would be the best way to solve your problem.

      > Marcelo
      >

      > -=-=-
      > Act now and get a free gift with that tagline!
      > * TagZilla 0.066 on Seamonkey 1.1

    • Marcelo de Castro Bastos
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 3, 2007
        On the last exciting episode, aired on 3/4/2007 21:41, threerandot
        invited the wrath of the gods by saying:
        > As for this language:
        >
        > <li><a href="{[^"]+}" title="{[^"]+}">{[^<]+}</a></li>
        >
        > I have never used it before. A little complicated looking to me. Up
        > to this point, I have been editing with basic html tags. I do have
        > Note Tab Light 4.95. This must be somewhere in the Help files?

        Yes. Search for "Regular Expressions" in the Help. It's a very powerful
        feature of Notetab. It allows you to search & replace stuff that has
        quite a bit of variance, and do some pretty fancy things with the
        replacing string.

        In the example I gave you, it searches for the basic framework of your
        "old" line, but allowing some variation in parts of it (the file name
        and such). Those variable parts are given token identifiers, so you can
        copy them to the "replace" string.

        To give a very short summary of the highpoints:
        The square brackets define a "class" of characters, meaning that any
        character belonging to that class can be accepted here. In the example,
        the class [^"] contains any character, EXCEPT the quote mark (the "^"
        means "not")
        The plus character means "one or more of the previous". So, [^"]+ means
        "any string that does NOT contain a quote character."
        The curly brackets "tag" the above string to be copied to the "replace"
        string.

        In the "replace" string, the tokens \1, \2 and \3 mark the places where
        the strings contained in the first, second and third pair of curly
        brackets in the "search" string should be inserted.

        Yes, it looks like what you get when you let your cat walk around on the
        keyboard; but it's actually not that complicated, and it's REALLY,
        REALLY powerful. Worth learning.

        (By the way, one of the changes in Notetab 5 is a new, better regular
        expression engine. It has a slightly different syntax, but it's easy to
        adapt to it.)

        Marcelo

        -=-=-
        Looked up my family tree. Found out I'm the sap.
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 3, 2007
          Hi:

          Thanks for the heads up on this information. I am going to keep this
          thread and look up more on "Regular Expressions". Shows how smart I
          am by not checking my help files more carefully.

          Thanks,

          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 3, 2007
            I am just taking a look at this but it seems pretty complicated
            still. I am not sure if I am supposed to be replacing each individual
            line of text with the string you posted or just exactly what I am
            supposed to do. I have been taking a look at the help file but its
            still pretty sketchy to me.

            Thanks,
            Shawn

            --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "threerandot" <threerandot@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > the "replace"
            > > string.
            > >
            > > In the "replace" string, the tokens \1, \2 and \3 mark the places
            > where
            > > the strings contained in the first, second and third pair of curly
            > > brackets in the "search" string should be inserted.
            > >
            > > Yes, it looks like what you get when you let your cat walk around
            > on the
            > > keyboard; but it's actually not that complicated, and it's REALLY,
            > > REALLY powerful. Worth learning.
            > >
            > > (By the way, one of the changes in Notetab 5 is a new, better
            > regular
            > > expression engine. It has a slightly different syntax, but it's
            > easy to
            > > adapt to it.)
            > >
            > > Marcelo
            > >

            > > -=-=-
            > > Looked up my family tree. Found out I'm the sap.

          • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 3, 2007
              Hi all, I mean this totally kind so don't misread :-)
              This discussion is better placed either on the clips list or the html
              list for notetab.
              It exceeds the idea of the plain old notetab list.

              What you want can easily be achieved with clips. Someone already
              pointed out the regular expressions (they sure look confusing at first)
              can solve much of the issue if you wish. The person also pointed out
              that notetab 5.x and notetab 4.95 have different regular expression
              engines, the later version being much superior. It might be a good time
              for an update.

              Don
              >> I am new here. I hope that someone here might be able to offer their
              >> help. I am developing photo galleries for my site with pure CSS
              >> Tooltips. However, even with Crimson Editor or Note Tab Light, the
              >> work is slow going.

            • abairheart
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 4, 2007
                At the level of NoteTab that you're using, the best way to handle this
                is to divide it up into several simple text replace ops:

                --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "threerandot" <threerandot@...> wrote:

                to:

                In the search menu, select replace

                1. replace "<li><a" with "<li<span class="link"><a"
                Click "Replace ALL"

                Click "Replace all"

                etc.

                If that will not do it for you, you'll have to take a crash course in
                clip code. I.e. Read the entire help file.

                Abair