Need some help

  • threerandot
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 3, 2007
      Hi:

      I am new here. I hope that someone here might be able to offer their
      help. I am developing photo galleries for my site with pure CSS
      Tooltips. However, even with Crimson Editor or Note Tab Light, the
      work is slow going.

      Here is an example

      Here is what I want to change it to.

      In some cases I have as many as 90 to over 100 images. I use CSS to
      make the tooltips show up. What I want to know is there a fast and
      easy way to create macros that will copy the names of images from one
      document to the next. For instance:

      Say I have an HTML page with a photo named bob.jpg. Is it possible
      for a program like Note Tab Light to see the first .jpg image and
      copy that name for that image to the second document? Then the third,
      the fourth and the fifth, right down the list? Up to now I have only
      been able to use the standard copy and paste keyboard shortcuts. Very
      slow work. Am I asking too much?

      This would be the end result:

      First Document (copied from)

      Second Document (desired result)

      I have searched around the net for a program that would do this. Any
      ideas are really appreciated. Freeware would be nice.

      Shawn
    • sisterscape
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 3, 2007
        Why not just use one of the many free gallery scripts that are
        available? I would make it easier to set up and alter in the future as
        well. I've done it both ways and will never do another gallery from
        scratch ever again! Almost all these galleries use a pre-written php
        script - http://www.groundtruthinvestigations.org/photography.html

        --- threerandot <threerandot@...> wrote:

        > Hi:
        >
        > I am new here. I hope that someone here might be able to offer their
        > help. I am developing photo galleries for my site with pure CSS
        > Tooltips. However, even with Crimson Editor or Note Tab Light, the
        > work is slow going.
        >
        > Here is an example

        > Here is what I want to change it to.

        > In some cases I have as many as 90 to over 100 images. I use CSS to
        > make the tooltips show up. What I want to know is there a fast and
        > easy way to create macros that will copy the names of images from one
        >
        > document to the next. For instance:
        >
        > Say I have an HTML page with a photo named bob.jpg. Is it possible
        > for a program like Note Tab Light to see the first .jpg image and
        > copy that name for that image to the second document? Then the third,
        >
        > the fourth and the fifth, right down the list? Up to now I have only
        > been able to use the standard copy and paste keyboard shortcuts. Very
        >
        > slow work. Am I asking too much?
        >
        > This would be the end result:
        >
        > First Document (copied from)
        >
        > Second Document (desired result)
        >
        > I have searched around the net for a program that would do this. Any
        > ideas are really appreciated. Freeware would be nice.
        >
        > Shawn

        > The NoteTab Off Topic List:
        > Fookes Software: http://www.fookes.com
        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        It's here! Your new message!
      • threerandot
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 3, 2007
          Hi:

          Thanks for the quick response, but this is actually for a non-
          javascript gallery. It is a list of links to images and each link has
          a description that is quite long. Too long in fact for the browser to
          display in alt="" or title="".

          Here is the gallery in action. If you disable javascript (I use
          firefox), and place your cursor on the list of links to the right
          side of the page, you will get a pure css tooltip.

          Here is the link to just one of the many pages I have like this:
          http://www.runstop.de/bennysplace/set01a.html

          Also, the domain I am in does not allow pHp and other programming
          languages. All I can use is javascript and java.

          Thanks,
          Shawn

          --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, sisterscape <sisterscape@...> wrote:

          > Why not just use one of the many free gallery scripts that are
          > available? I would make it easier to set up and alter in the
          future as
          > well. I've done it both ways and will never do another gallery from
          > scratch ever again! Almost all these galleries use a pre-written
          php
          > script - http://www.groundtruthinvestigations.org/photography.html
          >
          > --- threerandot <threerandot@...> wrote:
          >
          > > Hi:
          > >
          > > I am new here. I hope that someone here might be able to offer
          their
          > > help. I am developing photo galleries for my site with pure CSS
          > > Tooltips. However, even with Crimson Editor or Note Tab Light,
          the
          > > work is slow going.
          > >
          > > Here is an example

          > > Here is what I want to change it to.
          > >
          > > <li><span class="link"><a href="whatever.jpg"
          title="whatever">Image

          > > In some cases I have as many as 90 to over 100 images. I use CSS
          > > make the tooltips show up. What I want to know is there a fast
          and
          > > easy way to create macros that will copy the names of images from
          one

          > > document to the next. For instance:
          > >
          > > Say I have an HTML page with a photo named bob.jpg. Is it
          possible
          > > for a program like Note Tab Light to see the first .jpg image and
          > > copy that name for that image to the second document? Then the
          third,

          > > the fourth and the fifth, right down the list? Up to now I have
          only
          > > been able to use the standard copy and paste keyboard shortcuts.
          Very

          > > slow work. Am I asking too much?
          > >
          > > This would be the end result:
          > >
          > > First Document (copied from)
          > >
          > > Second Document (desired result)
          > > <li><span class="link"><a href="bob02.jpg" title="Bob
          Again">Image

          ______________
          > It's here! Your new message!

        • Marcelo de Castro Bastos
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 3, 2007
            On the last exciting episode, aired on 3/4/2007 19:36, threerandot
            invited the wrath of the gods by saying:
            > Hi:
            >
            > I am new here. I hope that someone here might be able to offer their
            > help. I am developing photo galleries for my site with pure CSS
            > Tooltips. However, even with Crimson Editor or Note Tab Light, the
            > work is slow going.
            >
            > Here is an example

            > Here is what I want to change it to.

            > In some cases I have as many as 90 to over 100 images. I use CSS to
            > make the tooltips show up. What I want to know is there a fast and
            > easy way to create macros that will copy the names of images from one
            > document to the next. For instance:
            >
            > Say I have an HTML page with a photo named bob.jpg. Is it possible
            > for a program like Note Tab Light to see the first .jpg image and
            > copy that name for that image to the second document? Then the third,
            > the fourth and the fifth, right down the list? Up to now I have only
            > been able to use the standard copy and paste keyboard shortcuts. Very
            > slow work. Am I asking too much?
            >
            > This would be the end result:
            >
            > First Document (copied from)
            >
            > Second Document (desired result)
            >
            > I have searched around the net for a program that would do this. Any
            > ideas are really appreciated. Freeware would be nice.

            I'm not sure exactly what you are trying to accomplish here. I mean, I
            probably didn't get the idea, but wouldn't it be easier to use a regular
            expression-powered search & replace in the first document, and later to
            copy the entire block of lines to the second one? Or even saving with a
            different name?

            As for the regexp: In Notetab Lite (which is still in version 4.95,
            AFAIK) something like searching for

            <li><a href="{[^"]+}" title="{[^"]+}">{[^<]+}</a></li>

            and replacing it with

            would probably work. If you have a version 5 Notetab, of course, the regexp syntax is a bit different.

            As for writing a clip to search for image filenames in a file and pasting them on another... it's certainly possible. I once did a clip that takes a page from Blogspot and reorders the blog entries so they are in normal chronological order, top to bottom, instead of in the inverted order common in blogs. It does that searching backwards in the original file and cutting & pasting data to a new file. So your idea should be possible.

            I just don't see, from the limited info you gave us, whether such a procedure would be the best way to solve your problem.

            Marcelo

            -=-=-
            Act now and get a free gift with that tagline!
            * TagZilla 0.066 on Seamonkey 1.1
          • threerandot
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 3, 2007
              Something that I think would make what I am attempting to do clearer
              is to show you a page that is completed and one that isn't.

              As for this language:

              <li><a href="{[^"]+}" title="{[^"]+}">{[^<]+}</a></li>

              I have never used it before. A little complicated looking to me. Up
              to this point, I have been editing with basic html tags. I do have
              Note Tab Light 4.95. This must be somewhere in the Help files?

              As I said, a page completed:
              http://www.runstop.de/bennysplace/set04a.html

              And here is an example of one not yet completed:
              http://www.runstop.de/bennysplace/set05a.html

              Place your cursor on the links. In the first page, a pure css tooltip
              pops up. I am attempting to create a more accessible gallery without
              the need for making d-link pages, as well as the need for javascript.

              Hope this clears things up a bit more...

              Thanks for your help,
              Shawn

              --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Marcelo de Castro Bastos

              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 3, 2007
                On the last exciting episode, aired on 3/4/2007 21:41, threerandot
                invited the wrath of the gods by saying:
                > As for this language:
                >
                > <li><a href="{[^"]+}" title="{[^"]+}">{[^<]+}</a></li>
                >
                > I have never used it before. A little complicated looking to me. Up
                > to this point, I have been editing with basic html tags. I do have
                > Note Tab Light 4.95. This must be somewhere in the Help files?

                Yes. Search for "Regular Expressions" in the Help. It's a very powerful
                feature of Notetab. It allows you to search & replace stuff that has
                quite a bit of variance, and do some pretty fancy things with the
                replacing string.

                In the example I gave you, it searches for the basic framework of your
                "old" line, but allowing some variation in parts of it (the file name
                and such). Those variable parts are given token identifiers, so you can
                copy them to the "replace" string.

                To give a very short summary of the highpoints:
                The square brackets define a "class" of characters, meaning that any
                character belonging to that class can be accepted here. In the example,
                the class [^"] contains any character, EXCEPT the quote mark (the "^"
                means "not")
                The plus character means "one or more of the previous". So, [^"]+ means
                "any string that does NOT contain a quote character."
                The curly brackets "tag" the above string to be copied to the "replace"
                string.

                In the "replace" string, the tokens \1, \2 and \3 mark the places where
                the strings contained in the first, second and third pair of curly
                brackets in the "search" string should be inserted.

                Yes, it looks like what you get when you let your cat walk around on the
                keyboard; but it's actually not that complicated, and it's REALLY,
                REALLY powerful. Worth learning.

                (By the way, one of the changes in Notetab 5 is a new, better regular
                expression engine. It has a slightly different syntax, but it's easy to
                adapt to it.)

                Marcelo

                -=-=-
                Looked up my family tree. Found out I'm the sap.
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 3, 2007
                  Hi:

                  Thanks for the heads up on this information. I am going to keep this
                  thread and look up more on "Regular Expressions". Shows how smart I
                  am by not checking my help files more carefully.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 3, 2007
                    I am just taking a look at this but it seems pretty complicated
                    still. I am not sure if I am supposed to be replacing each individual
                    line of text with the string you posted or just exactly what I am
                    supposed to do. I have been taking a look at the help file but its
                    still pretty sketchy to me.

                    Thanks,
                    Shawn

                    --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "threerandot" <threerandot@...> wrote:

> [...]
                    > the "replace"
                    > > string.
                    > >
                    > > In the "replace" string, the tokens \1, \2 and \3 mark the places
                    > where
                    > > the strings contained in the first, second and third pair of curly
                    > > brackets in the "search" string should be inserted.
                    > >
                    > > Yes, it looks like what you get when you let your cat walk around
                    > on the
                    > > keyboard; but it's actually not that complicated, and it's REALLY,
                    > > REALLY powerful. Worth learning.
                    > >
                    > > (By the way, one of the changes in Notetab 5 is a new, better
                    > regular
                    > > expression engine. It has a slightly different syntax, but it's
                    > easy to
                    > > adapt to it.)
                    > >
                    > > Marcelo
                    > >

                    > > -=-=-
                    > > Looked up my family tree. Found out I'm the sap.

                  • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 3, 2007
                      Hi all, I mean this totally kind so don't misread :-)
                      This discussion is better placed either on the clips list or the html
                      list for notetab.
                      It exceeds the idea of the plain old notetab list.

                      What you want can easily be achieved with clips. Someone already
                      pointed out the regular expressions (they sure look confusing at first)
                      can solve much of the issue if you wish. The person also pointed out
                      that notetab 5.x and notetab 4.95 have different regular expression
                      engines, the later version being much superior. It might be a good time
                      for an update.

                      Don
                      >> I am new here. I hope that someone here might be able to offer their
                      >> help. I am developing photo galleries for my site with pure CSS
                      >> Tooltips. However, even with Crimson Editor or Note Tab Light, the
                      >> work is slow going.

                    • abairheart
                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 4, 2007
                        At the level of NoteTab that you're using, the best way to handle this
                        is to divide it up into several simple text replace ops:

                        --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "threerandot" <threerandot@...> wrote:

                        to:

                        In the search menu, select replace

                        1. replace "<li><a" with "<li<span class="link"><a"
                        Click "Replace ALL"

                        Click "Replace all"

                        etc.

                        If that will not do it for you, you'll have to take a crash course in
                        clip code. I.e. Read the entire help file.

                        Abair