Re: The mysterious line break

  • Jody Adair
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 1, 1998
      Hi David,

      >anybody have any ideas on my added line-break problem from
      >yesterday?

      So far I haven't been able to check it too throughly. It's
      taking some time to rename all the paths and figure out exactly
      what you are wanting us to check. What exactly am I suppose to
      run. Which is the problem clip. I'm not concerned about the
      good ones. It would help if those of us on the list had a standard path(s) to use for testing which we all could have on our drives.

      Wren had some good suggestions. :)

    • Jody Adair
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 1, 1998

      • djust@netvision.net.il
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 1, 1998
          >It would help if those of us on the list had a standard
          > path(s) to use for testing which we all could have on our drives.
          The c:\unzipped\ntpb4etc is easy, since it uses Windows and
          Winzip defaults, but I'll go along with any reasonable suggestion.

          Template9etc is the problem clip.

          Thank you.
          David Jonathan Justman

        • djust@netvision.net.il
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 1, 1998
            (Sent the reply to the list because it could be that Eric should
            know all these funny details about the line breaks).
            > > Once it is "broken in", as above, everything will go fine until
            the end
            > > of clip 3, when it tells you that "curtplt is now ready for use". When
            > > you press OK, it will a) ADD A LINE BREAK after the current cursor
            > > position of the topmost file, thus,
            >
            > It sure takes a lot of riding to break that sucker in.
            Pity me. The first time I had to go through all of that without
            knowing if it was going to work. One of my physics teachers said
            that I had a talent for always finding the most indirect way to solve
            any problem.

            > Once I did I was able to repeat your problem. (I had only
            > one file open with four lines in it, my cursor at the beginning
            > of the third line.)
            >
            > The solution is that your template9b1.clb file end with
            > a lot of blank lines (<NL>'s) then a line with one space char
            > on it, and then another blank line. If you remove the line with
            > the single space on it the problem goes away. (i.e., it
            > works correctly even with extra blank lines at the end, just
            > as long as one ISN'T "almost" blank.)
            That was it, in principle. My copy had 2 pure line breaks at the
            end, but when I deleted them, everything returned to normal.

            > I'll leave it to the other readers to explain why this is
            > causing a problem. (I do notice your template9b1.clb has Unix
            > line breaks.)
            Can't figure this one out. Was written and modified on various
            versions of Notetab, pure Win95; no Unixes are allowed in our
            neighborhood. I do know that a lot of my programs have trouble
            reading line breaks from my other programs. I'm running the
            original Hebrew Win95, probably the world's weirdest version,
            but I can't imagine that they were using Unix line breaks.

            > Do I get a free book from Amazon?
            How about a free picture postcard of beautiful Petach Tikva?
            Thanks a lot.
            David.

          • Jody Adair
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 3, 1998
              Hi David,

              You wrote the following on 12:38 AM 9/2/98 +0300:

              >>It would help if those of us on the list had a standard
              >> path(s) to use for testing which we all could have on our drives.

              ...but I'll go along with any reasonable suggestion.

              I use...

              NoteTabAppPath\Temp
              NoteTabAppPath\Test

              ...because they are easy to get to, but anywhere in NoteTab's
              folders is fine. If ^$GetAppPath$ is used and whatever folder,
              then it is easy for anybody to do a S&R to change the folder if
              need be in any clips that are sent to us.

              Happy NoteTabbin',
              Jody
              http://www.mindspring.com/~kjb1611/notetab/notetab.htm