Re: [NTB] Notetab Pro -- New Problem

  • ken winston caine
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 5 8:41 PM
      OK. New Problem.

      Now that I've got my QuickList back on the right hand side of my
      screen, my Favorites are badly out of sorts.

      So, I tried using the clip, "sort *.fvr by Filenames" which has
      always managed in the past to re-alphabetize them for me. Not this
      time.

      This time I get an error message: Line 12, clip syntax error: OPEN ""

      Any idea what that means and what to do about it?

      Thanks,
      kwc

      --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "ken winston caine" <naturedoc@...>
      wrote:

      > Odd, Jeff, I can't get it to open two instances now.
      >

      > But, nevertheless, my missing QuickList problem is solved. <snip>
    • Corl DeLuna
      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 5 9:38 PM
        Hi Ken,

        You can also open the Quick List by pressing F6.

        Best,
        Corl

        _____

        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 5 9:40 PM
          ken winston caine wrote:
          > OK. New Problem.

          > Now that I've got my QuickList back on the right hand side
          > of my screen, my Favorites are badly out of sorts.

          > So, I tried using the clip, "sort *.fvr by Filenames" which
          > has always managed in the past to re-alphabetize them for
          > me. Not this time.

          > This time I get an error message: Line 12, clip syntax
          > error: OPEN ""

          > Any idea what that means and what to do about it?

          > Thanks, kwc

          Ken,

          Although I've never used H="Sort *.fvr by Filenames" I tried it. Have
          you expanded the dialog and selected a file? You must, my attempt failed
          with the same error message as you when I don't select a file using the
          dialog.

          ºvº SL-3-40
          2007.03.05 - 23.13.02

          In Only 30 Years...
          • 1977: Parents begging you to get your hair cut
          • 2007: Children begging you to get their heads shaved

          ¤ hrs ø hsavage@...
        • ken winston caine
          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 5 11:37 PM
            Oh, you're right, HSR. I was only selecting the *folder* not the
            actual file.

            So... next challenge with this. It is sorting the .fvr file by path
            name, not by file names. And that is why I have the current jumble.
            Somehow before I was able to get it to sort them by file name without
            the full path.

            Any idea what to do to get back to that?

            Thanks.
            kwc

            --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, hsavage <hsavage@...> wrote:

            > ken winston caine wrote:
            > > OK. New Problem.
            >
            > > Now that I've got my QuickList back on the right hand side
            > > of my screen, my Favorites are badly out of sorts.
            >
            > > So, I tried using the clip, "sort *.fvr by Filenames" which
            > > has always managed in the past to re-alphabetize them for
            > > me. Not this time.
            >
            > > This time I get an error message: Line 12, clip syntax
            > > error: OPEN ""
            >
            > > Any idea what that means and what to do about it?
            >
            > > Thanks, kwc
            >
            > Ken,
            >
            > Although I've never used H="Sort *.fvr by Filenames" I tried it.
            Have
            > you expanded the dialog and selected a file? You must, my attempt
            failed
            > with the same error message as you when I don't select a file using
            the
            > dialog.
            >
            > ºvº SL-3-40
            > 2007.03.05 - 23.13.02
            >
            > In Only 30 Years...
            > • 1977: Parents begging you to get your hair cut
            > • 2007: Children begging you to get their heads shaved
            >
            > ¤ hrs ø hsavage@...

          • hsavage
            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 6 10:40 AM
              ken winston caine wrote:
              > Oh, you're right, HSR. I was only selecting the *folder* not
              > the actual file.

              > So... next challenge with this. It is sorting the .fvr file
              > by path name, not by file names. And that is why I have the
              > current jumble. Somehow before I was able to get it to sort
              > them by file name without the full path.

              > Any idea what to do to get back to that?

              > Thanks. kwc

              Ken,

              If you're using the same clip as I, Last updated on 01-28-2006 by Jody
              Adair, it should be sorting by filename correctly unless something has
              broken the clip.

              There is one small oversight in the clip, a backup folder is created,
              ^!MkDir "^$GetFavoritePath$Backup", but, the backup file isn't saved
              into the backup folder, now it is. There are a few other minor
              alterations and the clip works very well for the purpose it was written.

              Here is the bottom portion of the clip, includes everything after the
              ^!Continue command, replace this part of your clip with these lines
              below to correct your clip and insure the clip isn't broken.

              ; =================
              ^!IfSame ".fvr" "^$GetExt(^**)$" FVRFOCUSED
              ^!Set %FavsLoc%=^$GetFavoritePath$
              ^!SetWizardTitle Please visit: http://www.fookes.us
              ^!SetWizardLabel EXPAND DIALOG, PICK .FVR-FILE TO SORT (fvr) [...]
              ^!Open "^?{(T=O;F="Favorite Files (*.fvr)|*.fvr")=^%FavsLoc%}"
              ;
              :FVRFOCUSED
              ; ·····
              ^!SetDebug 1
              ; -----
              ^!SetWordWrap 0
              ^!Delay 5
              ^!MkDir "^$GetFavoritePath$Backup"
              ^!Set %FileName%=^$GetFileName("^##")$
              ^!Toolbar Copy All
              ^!Toolbar Paste New
              ^!Save As "^$GetFavoritePath$Backup\^%FileName%.BAK"
              ^!Document PREV
              ^!Delay 1
              ^!SetScreenUpdate 0
              ^!SetHintInfo 0
              ^!Jump 1
              ;
              :LOOP1
              ^!IfTrue ^$IsEmpty("^$GetLine$")$ SORT
              ^!Jump Line_End
              ^!Find "\" B
              ^!IfError END
              ^!Select EOL
              ^!Toolbar Cut
              ^!Jump Line_Start
              ^!Toolbar Paste
              ^!InsertText @
              ^!Jump +1
              ^!Goto LOOP1
              ;
              :SORT
              ^!Select ALL
              ^$StrSort("^$GetSelection$";0;1;0)$
              ^!Jump 1
              ;
              :LOOP2
              ^!IfTrue ^$IsEmpty("^$GetLine$")$ TOP
              ^!Find "@" S
              ^!IfError END
              ^!Select BOL
              ^!Toolbar Cut
              ^!SetClipboard ^$StrReplace("@";"";"^$GetClipboard$";0;0)$
              ^!Jump Line_End
              ^!Toolbar Paste
              ^!Jump +1
              ^!Goto LOOP2
              ;
              :TOP
              ^!Jump 1
              ; =================

              ºvº SL-3-44
              2007.03.06 - 09.04.37

              In Only 30 Years...
              • 1977: Seeds and stems
              • 2007: Roughage

              ¤ hrs ø hsavage@...
            • hsavage
              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 6 10:50 AM
                hsavage wrote:
                > ken winston caine wrote: > Oh, you're right, HSR. I was only
                > selecting the *folder* not > the actual file.

                > > So... next challenge with this. It is sorting the .fvr
                > file > by path name, not by file names. And that is why I
                > have the > current jumble. Somehow before I was able to get
                > it to sort > them by file name without the full path.

                > > Any idea what to do to get back to that?

                > > Thanks. kwc

                > Ken,

                There is one small oversight in my clip, I left the ^!SetDebug line
                active, you should remove it or comment the line out by prepending with
                a semi-colon. Remove the below lines if that is your choice.

                ; ·····
                ^!SetDebug 1
                ; -----

                ºvº SL-3-45
                2007.03.06 - 12.38.58

                In Only 30 Years...
                • 1977: The Grateful Dead
                • 2007: Dr. Kevorkian

                ¤ hrs ø hsavage@...
              • ken winston caine
                Message 7 of 19 , Mar 6 1:13 PM
                  Uh oh. This may be beyond me.

                  The clip I have is in the Dir Stuff collection I bought from Jody.

                  I don't know how to actually see the date on it, or as far as that
                  goes, how to actaully see the code and edit it. What I know how to
                  do, and this may sound funny, is click on it and watch it work.

                  And it definitely is alphabetizing by the full path, rather than by
                  the first letter of the file name.

                  I'm thinking of complicated workarounds....

                  Favorites themselves, when I click on "Favorites" in top menu, are
                  alphabetized by file name. I'm wondering if I open all the favorites
                  (which should have them open by file name in alphabetical order) and
                  then change my QuickLIst to show open documents, whether that might
                  get my QuickList in filename alphabetical order?

                  NEW WRINKLE: On the top menu, under View, I no longer
                  show "options." The drop-down menu ends with "Spellchecker Options."
                  I have no idea why my program is suddenly getting so weird...

                • ken winston caine
                  Message 8 of 19 , Mar 6 1:25 PM
                    I just rebooted Notetab Pro and ran the alphabetize clip again and it
                    worked. My QuickList is now alphabetized.

                    However, puzzlingly, I still don't have the 'Options' tab under View
                    (on the top menu). How do I get that back?

                    Thanks,
                    kwc
                  • Corl DeLuna
                    Message 9 of 19 , Mar 6 1:38 PM
                      Hi Ken,

                      While someone figures out the answer to your actual question. Here is a way
                      to put it on your toolbar. Right click your Toolbar > Properties > Show In
                      Toobar scroll down and check Options. You can customise your Toolbar to your
                      liking here.

                      Best,
                      Corl

                      _____

                      Message 10 of 19 , Mar 6 6:20 PM
                        Thank you for that Corl.

                        This is all very odd.

                        I just got back in and rebooted my computer and EVERYTHING seems to
                        be back to normal.

                        Something must be (or have been) corrupting Notetab Pro these last
                        couple days. Don't recall adding any new software or making any
                        system chagnes around the time this strangeness started.

                        Think I'll run an adware scan and a full virus scan tonight.

                        If the puzzles persist, I'll be back. In the meantime, thanks again
                        everyone for being here and being so helpful.

                        Best,
                        kwc

                        --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Corl DeLuna" <corl@...> wrote:

                        > Hi Ken,
                        >
                        > While someone figures out the answer to your actual question. Here
                        is a way
                        > to put it on your toolbar. Right click your Toolbar > Properties >
                        Show In
                        > Toobar scroll down and check Options. You can customise your
                        Toolbar to your
                        > liking here.
                        >
                        > Best,
                        > Corl
                        >
                        > _____

                        Behalf Of
                        > ken winston caine
                        > Sent: Tuesday, March 06, 2007 1:25 PM
                        > To: notetab@yahoogroups.com
                        > Subject: Re: [NTB] Notetab Pro -- correction
                        >

                        > I just rebooted Notetab Pro and ran the alphabetize clip again and
                        it
                        > worked. My QuickList is now alphabetized.
                        >
                        > However, puzzlingly, I still don't have the 'Options' tab under
                        View
                        > (on the top menu). How do I get that back?
                        >
                        > Thanks,
                        > kwc

                      • Corl DeLuna
                        Message 11 of 19 , Mar 6 9:21 PM
                          Hi Ken,

                          Rebooting, the magic cure for most all that ails you. ;-)

                          I run Spybot-S&D as well

                          Have you done an error check on your drive lately?

                          Plus, you might make a back-up of the NotePro.ini in the NoteTab Pro folder.
                          This is where all NTP preferences are stored. I back mine up with all my
                          important files daily and copy it monthly. My HP has been great, but my
                          previous Dell taught me to be extra cautious.

                          Best,
                          Corl

                          _____

                          --- In notetab@yahoogroups <mailto:notetab%40yahoogroups.com> .com, "Corl
                          DeLuna" <corl@...> wrote:

                          > Hi Ken,
                          >
                          > While someone figures out the answer to your actual question. Here
                          is a way
                          > to put it on your toolbar. Right click your Toolbar > Properties >
                          Show In
                          > Toobar scroll down and check Options. You can customise your
                          Toolbar to your
                          > liking here.
                          >
                          > Best,
                          > Corl
                          >
                          > _____
                          >
                          > From: notetab@yahoogroups <mailto:notetab%40yahoogroups.com> .com
                          > I just rebooted Notetab Pro and ran the alphabetize clip again and
                          it
                          > worked. My QuickList is now alphabetized.
                          >
                          > However, puzzlingly, I still don't have the 'Options' tab under
                          View
                          > (on the top menu). How do I get that back?
                          >
                          > Thanks,
                          > kwc

                        • tapuekina
                          Message 12 of 19 , Mar 21 1:11 PM
                            I recently bought Notetab Pro 5.1 version. I bought it because most
                            html sites I visited to recomend it. Now that I have it, still learning
                            where things are, I am trying to understand how to use it.

                            Under help, I clicked on glossary and it responds with..

                            "Cannot find file Glossary otl"

                            I must have been too excited and have put my finger on somewhere it was
                            not supposed to be.

                            Thanks for your help.

                            paul
                          • Sheri
                            Message 13 of 19 , Mar 21 1:33 PM
                              tapuekina wrote:
                              > I recently bought Notetab Pro 5.1 version. I bought it because most
                              > html sites I visited to recomend it. Now that I have it, still learning
                              > where things are, I am trying to understand how to use it.
                              >
                              > Under help, I clicked on glossary and it responds with..
                              >
                              > "Cannot find file Glossary otl"
                              >
                              > I must have been too excited and have put my finger on somewhere it was
                              > not supposed to be.
                              >
                              > Thanks for your help.
                              >
                              > paul

                              Hi,

                              When I installed NoteTab Pro 5.1 into the default directory, I got a
                              Glossary.otl in my C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro 5\ folder. Do you have
                              such a file in the directory where you installed yours?

                              Glossary.otl opens when I click NoteTab Glossary in the Help menu.

                              Regards,
                              Sheri
                            • hsavage
                              Message 14 of 19 , Mar 21 2:26 PM
                                tapuekina wrote:
                                > I recently bought Notetab Pro 5.1 version. I bought it
                                > because most html sites I visited to recomend it. Now that
                                > I have it, still learning where things are, I am trying
                                > to understand how to use it.
                                >
                                > Under help, I clicked on glossary and it responds with..
                                >
                                > "Cannot find file Glossary otl"
                                >
                                > I must have been too excited and have put my finger on
                                > somewhere it was not supposed to be.
                                >
                                > Thanks for your help.
                                >
                                > paul

                                Paul,

                                Find the NoteTab main folder, there should be a subfolder, Outlines. In
                                that folder should be a file named Glossary.otl. Since it failed to
                                open when you clicked Glossary, the file may be missing.

                                If so, here's a link to download the Glossary.otl file from NoteTab website.

                                http://www.notetab.com/ftp/glossary.zip

                                Download the file, unzip it and place it in the Outlines folder. It
                                should then be displayed when you click Glossary under Help.

                                ºvº SL-3-166
                                2007.03.21 - 16.17.33

                                Rules guys wish girls knew...
                                "Yes and No are perfectly acceptable answers."

                                ¤ hrs ø hsavage@...
                              • tapuekina
                                Message 15 of 19 , Mar 21 3:50 PM
                                  --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Sheri <silvermoonwoman@...> wrote:

                                  > tapuekina wrote:
                                  > > I recently bought Notetab Pro 5.1 version. I bought it because
                                  most
                                  > > html sites I visited to recomend it. Now that I have it, still
                                  learning
                                  > > where things are, I am trying to understand how to use it.
                                  > >
                                  > > Under help, I clicked on glossary and it responds with..
                                  > >
                                  > > "Cannot find file Glossary otl"
                                  > >
                                  > > I must have been too excited and have put my finger on somewhere
                                  it was
                                  > > not supposed to be.
                                  > >
                                  > > Thanks for your help.
                                  > >
                                  > > paul
                                  > >
                                  > Hi,
                                  >
                                  > When I installed NoteTab Pro 5.1 into the default directory, I got
                                  > Glossary.otl in my C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro 5\ folder. Do you
                                  have
                                  > such a file in the directory where you installed yours?
                                  >
                                  > Glossary.otl opens when I click NoteTab Glossary in the Help menu.
                                  >
                                  > Regards,
                                  > Sheri

                                  It's always nice to see helpful people in this forum. It feels like a
                                  great enighbor just to run to when I need help.

                                  Sheri, I found the lonely file Glossary.otl listed on my Document
                                  folder. I don't know how it got here but it's here. Anyway, should I
                                  drag and drop it into Notetap folder?

                                  I did and it didn't work.

                                  Please don't laugh for holding my hands and show me where I should
                                  go. I'm totally feel inadeguate here...compared to you guys.

                                  thanks,

                                  paul
                                • Sheri
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Mar 22 6:01 AM
                                    --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "tapuekina" <tapuekina@...> wrote:

                                    > It's always nice to see helpful people in this forum. It feels like a
                                    > great enighbor just to run to when I need help.
                                    >
                                    > Sheri, I found the lonely file Glossary.otl listed on my Document
                                    > folder. I don't know how it got here but it's here. Anyway, should I
                                    > drag and drop it into Notetap folder?
                                    >
                                    > I did and it didn't work.
                                    >
                                    > Please don't laugh for holding my hands and show me where I should
                                    > go. I'm totally feel inadeguate here...compared to you guys.
                                    >
                                    > thanks,
                                    >
                                    > paul

                                    Hi Paul,

                                    Hope you got that working now, you would probably need to restart
                                    NoteTab after putting the file in the right place. I don't have any
                                    Outlines subfolder, my Glossary.otl was installed directly in the
                                    application folder under Program Files.

                                    Regards,
                                    Sheri