Re: [NTB] Notetab Pro acting up... FIXED

  • ken winston caine
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 5, 2007
      Odd, Jeff, I can't get it to open two instances now.

      But, nevertheless, my missing QuickList problem is solved.

      I found this post from Stefan Elssner
      http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/notetab/message/19190 in which he
      taught me how to set up the QuickList in the first place. And I
      caught my error. I had forgotten that I needed to go to the top
      menu/tools/quicklist properties to make it appear.

      No idea why it disappeared, but now it's back and all is well.

      Best,
      kwc

      --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Scism <Scismgenie@...> wrote:

      > This may sound silly, but what the heck,. Open the NoteTab and
      then
      > another one, close the first one you opened first, then the second
      one.

      > Its silly but may do something like reverse the
      problem................

      > Just blowin in the wind...
      >
      > Jeff
      >

      > ken winston caine wrote:
      > >
      > > It is a testament to Jody just how useful and stable this handy
      > > little piece of software has proven to be. I only have to ask for
      > > help every year or two. That time has come.
      > >
      > > For some reason, Notetab Pro has suddenly stopped reloading open
      > > documents, even though that option is checked, and it will not
      open
      > > my Quick List of open documents which someone here taught me how
      > > anchor on the right-hand side of my screen.
      > >
      > > I've un-checked and re-checked those options. Rebooted. No avail.
      > >
      > > This started after I inadvertently opened two instances of NoteTab
      > > Pro. That may or may not have anything to do with it.
      > >
      > > What I need to know is:
      > >
      > > 1. How do I get my QuickList back?
      > >
      > > 2. How do I convince NoteTab Pro to boot up with all my previously
      > > opened documents open?
      > >
      > > One more thing I tried: I tried setting it to open favorites on
      > > startup. But it didn't do that either, other than one time.
      > >
      > > Any ideas what I should do?
      > >
      > > Thanks,
      > > kwc

    • ken winston caine
      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 5, 2007
        OK. New Problem.

        Now that I've got my QuickList back on the right hand side of my
        screen, my Favorites are badly out of sorts.

        So, I tried using the clip, "sort *.fvr by Filenames" which has
        always managed in the past to re-alphabetize them for me. Not this
        time.

        This time I get an error message: Line 12, clip syntax error: OPEN ""

        Any idea what that means and what to do about it?

        Thanks,
        kwc

        --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "ken winston caine" <naturedoc@...>
        wrote:

        > Odd, Jeff, I can't get it to open two instances now.
        >

        > But, nevertheless, my missing QuickList problem is solved. <snip>
      • Corl DeLuna
        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 5, 2007
          Hi Ken,

          You can also open the Quick List by pressing F6.

          Best,
          Corl

          _____

          http://tech. <http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/notetab/message/19190>

          --- In notetab@yahoogroups <mailto:notetab%40yahoogroups.com> .com, Jeff
          Scism <Scismgenie@...> wrote:

          > This may sound silly, but what the heck,. Open the NoteTab and
          then
          > another one, close the first one you opened first, then the second
          one.

          > Its silly but may do something like reverse the
          problem................

          > Just blowin in the wind...
          >
          > Jeff
          >

          > ken winston caine wrote:
          > >
          > > It is a testament to Jody just how useful and stable this handy
          > > little piece of software has proven to be. I only have to ask for
          > > help every year or two. That time has come.
          > >
          > > For some reason, Notetab Pro has suddenly stopped reloading open
          > > documents, even though that option is checked, and it will not
          open
          > > my Quick List of open documents which someone here taught me how
          > > anchor on the right-hand side of my screen.
          > >
          > > I've un-checked and re-checked those options. Rebooted. No avail.
          > >
          > > This started after I inadvertently opened two instances of NoteTab
          > > Pro. That may or may not have anything to do with it.
          > >
          > > What I need to know is:
          > >
          > > 1. How do I get my QuickList back?
          > >
          > > 2. How do I convince NoteTab Pro to boot up with all my previously
          > > opened documents open?
          > >
          > > One more thing I tried: I tried setting it to open favorites on
          > > startup. But it didn't do that either, other than one time.
          > >
          > > Any ideas what I should do?
          > >
          > > Thanks,
          > > kwc

        • hsavage
          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 5, 2007
            ken winston caine wrote:
            > OK. New Problem.

            > Now that I've got my QuickList back on the right hand side
            > of my screen, my Favorites are badly out of sorts.

            > So, I tried using the clip, "sort *.fvr by Filenames" which
            > has always managed in the past to re-alphabetize them for
            > me. Not this time.

            > This time I get an error message: Line 12, clip syntax
            > error: OPEN ""

            > Any idea what that means and what to do about it?

            > Thanks, kwc

            Ken,

            Although I've never used H="Sort *.fvr by Filenames" I tried it. Have
            you expanded the dialog and selected a file? You must, my attempt failed
            with the same error message as you when I don't select a file using the
            dialog.

            ºvº SL-3-40
            2007.03.05 - 23.13.02

            In Only 30 Years...
            • 1977: Parents begging you to get your hair cut
            • 2007: Children begging you to get their heads shaved

            ¤ hrs ø hsavage@...
          • ken winston caine
            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 5, 2007
              Oh, you're right, HSR. I was only selecting the *folder* not the
              actual file.

              So... next challenge with this. It is sorting the .fvr file by path
              name, not by file names. And that is why I have the current jumble.
              Somehow before I was able to get it to sort them by file name without
              the full path.

              Any idea what to do to get back to that?

              Thanks.
              kwc

              --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, hsavage <hsavage@...> wrote:

              > ken winston caine wrote:
              > > OK. New Problem.
              >
              > > Now that I've got my QuickList back on the right hand side
              > > of my screen, my Favorites are badly out of sorts.
              >
              > > So, I tried using the clip, "sort *.fvr by Filenames" which
              > > has always managed in the past to re-alphabetize them for
              > > me. Not this time.
              >
              > > This time I get an error message: Line 12, clip syntax
              > > error: OPEN ""
              >
              > > Any idea what that means and what to do about it?
              >
              > > Thanks, kwc
              >
              > Ken,
              >
              > Although I've never used H="Sort *.fvr by Filenames" I tried it.
              Have
              > you expanded the dialog and selected a file? You must, my attempt
              failed
              > with the same error message as you when I don't select a file using
              the
              > dialog.
              >
              > ºvº SL-3-40
              > 2007.03.05 - 23.13.02
              >
              > In Only 30 Years...
              > • 1977: Parents begging you to get your hair cut
              > • 2007: Children begging you to get their heads shaved
              >
              > ¤ hrs ø hsavage@...

            • hsavage
              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 6, 2007
                ken winston caine wrote:
                > Oh, you're right, HSR. I was only selecting the *folder* not
                > the actual file.

                > So... next challenge with this. It is sorting the .fvr file
                > by path name, not by file names. And that is why I have the
                > current jumble. Somehow before I was able to get it to sort
                > them by file name without the full path.

                > Any idea what to do to get back to that?

                > Thanks. kwc

                Ken,

                If you're using the same clip as I, Last updated on 01-28-2006 by Jody
                Adair, it should be sorting by filename correctly unless something has
                broken the clip.

                There is one small oversight in the clip, a backup folder is created,
                ^!MkDir "^$GetFavoritePath$Backup", but, the backup file isn't saved
                into the backup folder, now it is. There are a few other minor
                alterations and the clip works very well for the purpose it was written.

                Here is the bottom portion of the clip, includes everything after the
                ^!Continue command, replace this part of your clip with these lines
                below to correct your clip and insure the clip isn't broken.

                ; =================
                ^!IfSame ".fvr" "^$GetExt(^**)$" FVRFOCUSED
                ^!Set %FavsLoc%=^$GetFavoritePath$
                ^!SetWizardTitle Please visit: http://www.fookes.us
                ^!SetWizardLabel EXPAND DIALOG, PICK .FVR-FILE TO SORT (fvr) [...]
                ^!Open "^?{(T=O;F="Favorite Files (*.fvr)|*.fvr")=^%FavsLoc%}"
                ;
                :FVRFOCUSED
                ; ·····
                ^!SetDebug 1
                ; -----
                ^!SetWordWrap 0
                ^!Delay 5
                ^!MkDir "^$GetFavoritePath$Backup"
                ^!Set %FileName%=^$GetFileName("^##")$
                ^!Toolbar Copy All
                ^!Toolbar Paste New
                ^!Save As "^$GetFavoritePath$Backup\^%FileName%.BAK"
                ^!Document PREV
                ^!Delay 1
                ^!SetScreenUpdate 0
                ^!SetHintInfo 0
                ^!Jump 1
                ;
                :LOOP1
                ^!IfTrue ^$IsEmpty("^$GetLine$")$ SORT
                ^!Jump Line_End
                ^!Find "\" B
                ^!IfError END
                ^!Select EOL
                ^!Toolbar Cut
                ^!Jump Line_Start
                ^!Toolbar Paste
                ^!InsertText @
                ^!Jump +1
                ^!Goto LOOP1
                ;
                :SORT
                ^!Select ALL
                ^$StrSort("^$GetSelection$";0;1;0)$
                ^!Jump 1
                ;
                :LOOP2
                ^!IfTrue ^$IsEmpty("^$GetLine$")$ TOP
                ^!Find "@" S
                ^!IfError END
                ^!Select BOL
                ^!Toolbar Cut
                ^!SetClipboard ^$StrReplace("@";"";"^$GetClipboard$";0;0)$
                ^!Jump Line_End
                ^!Toolbar Paste
                ^!Jump +1
                ^!Goto LOOP2
                ;
                :TOP
                ^!Jump 1
                ; =================

                ºvº SL-3-44
                2007.03.06 - 09.04.37

                In Only 30 Years...
                • 1977: Seeds and stems
                • 2007: Roughage

                ¤ hrs ø hsavage@...
              • hsavage
                Message 7 of 19 , Mar 6, 2007
                  hsavage wrote:
                  > ken winston caine wrote: > Oh, you're right, HSR. I was only
                  > selecting the *folder* not > the actual file.

                  > > So... next challenge with this. It is sorting the .fvr
                  > file > by path name, not by file names. And that is why I
                  > have the > current jumble. Somehow before I was able to get
                  > it to sort > them by file name without the full path.

                  > > Any idea what to do to get back to that?

                  > > Thanks. kwc

                  > Ken,

                  There is one small oversight in my clip, I left the ^!SetDebug line
                  active, you should remove it or comment the line out by prepending with
                  a semi-colon. Remove the below lines if that is your choice.

                  ; ·····
                  ^!SetDebug 1
                  ; -----

                  ºvº SL-3-45
                  2007.03.06 - 12.38.58

                  In Only 30 Years...
                  • 1977: The Grateful Dead
                  • 2007: Dr. Kevorkian

                  ¤ hrs ø hsavage@...
                • ken winston caine
                  Message 8 of 19 , Mar 6, 2007
                    Uh oh. This may be beyond me.

                    The clip I have is in the Dir Stuff collection I bought from Jody.

                    I don't know how to actually see the date on it, or as far as that
                    goes, how to actaully see the code and edit it. What I know how to
                    do, and this may sound funny, is click on it and watch it work.

                    And it definitely is alphabetizing by the full path, rather than by
                    the first letter of the file name.

                    I'm thinking of complicated workarounds....

                    Favorites themselves, when I click on "Favorites" in top menu, are
                    alphabetized by file name. I'm wondering if I open all the favorites
                    (which should have them open by file name in alphabetical order) and
                    then change my QuickLIst to show open documents, whether that might
                    get my QuickList in filename alphabetical order?

                    NEW WRINKLE: On the top menu, under View, I no longer
                    show "options." The drop-down menu ends with "Spellchecker Options."
                    I have no idea why my program is suddenly getting so weird...

                  • ken winston caine
                    Message 9 of 19 , Mar 6, 2007
                      I just rebooted Notetab Pro and ran the alphabetize clip again and it
                      worked. My QuickList is now alphabetized.

                      However, puzzlingly, I still don't have the 'Options' tab under View
                      (on the top menu). How do I get that back?

                      Thanks,
                      kwc
                    • Corl DeLuna
                      Message 10 of 19 , Mar 6, 2007
                        Hi Ken,

                        While someone figures out the answer to your actual question. Here is a way
                        to put it on your toolbar. Right click your Toolbar > Properties > Show In
                        Toobar scroll down and check Options. You can customise your Toolbar to your
                        liking here.

                        Best,
                        Corl

                        _____

                        Message 11 of 19 , Mar 6, 2007
                          Thank you for that Corl.

                          This is all very odd.

                          I just got back in and rebooted my computer and EVERYTHING seems to
                          be back to normal.

                          Something must be (or have been) corrupting Notetab Pro these last
                          couple days. Don't recall adding any new software or making any
                          system chagnes around the time this strangeness started.

                          Think I'll run an adware scan and a full virus scan tonight.

                          If the puzzles persist, I'll be back. In the meantime, thanks again
                          everyone for being here and being so helpful.

                          Best,
                          kwc

                          --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Corl DeLuna" <corl@...> wrote:

                          > Hi Ken,
                          >
                          > While someone figures out the answer to your actual question. Here
                          is a way
                          > to put it on your toolbar. Right click your Toolbar > Properties >
                          Show In
                          > Toobar scroll down and check Options. You can customise your
                          Toolbar to your
                          > liking here.
                          >
                          > Best,
                          > Corl
                          >
                          > _____

                          Behalf Of
                          > ken winston caine
                          > Sent: Tuesday, March 06, 2007 1:25 PM
                          > To: notetab@yahoogroups.com
                          > Subject: Re: [NTB] Notetab Pro -- correction
                          >

                          > I just rebooted Notetab Pro and ran the alphabetize clip again and
                          it
                          > worked. My QuickList is now alphabetized.
                          >
                          > However, puzzlingly, I still don't have the 'Options' tab under
                          View
                          > (on the top menu). How do I get that back?
                          >
                          > Thanks,
                          > kwc

                        • Corl DeLuna
                          Message 12 of 19 , Mar 6, 2007
                            Hi Ken,

                            Rebooting, the magic cure for most all that ails you. ;-)

                            I run Spybot-S&D as well

                            Have you done an error check on your drive lately?

                            Plus, you might make a back-up of the NotePro.ini in the NoteTab Pro folder.
                            This is where all NTP preferences are stored. I back mine up with all my
                            important files daily and copy it monthly. My HP has been great, but my
                            previous Dell taught me to be extra cautious.

                            Best,
                            Corl

                            _____

                            --- In notetab@yahoogroups <mailto:notetab%40yahoogroups.com> .com, "Corl
                            DeLuna" <corl@...> wrote:

                            > Hi Ken,
                            >
                            > While someone figures out the answer to your actual question. Here
                            is a way
                            > to put it on your toolbar. Right click your Toolbar > Properties >
                            Show In
                            > Toobar scroll down and check Options. You can customise your
                            Toolbar to your
                            > liking here.
                            >
                            > Best,
                            > Corl
                            >
                            > _____
                            >
                            > From: notetab@yahoogroups <mailto:notetab%40yahoogroups.com> .com
                            > I just rebooted Notetab Pro and ran the alphabetize clip again and
                            it
                            > worked. My QuickList is now alphabetized.
                            >
                            > However, puzzlingly, I still don't have the 'Options' tab under
                            View
                            > (on the top menu). How do I get that back?
                            >
                            > Thanks,
                            > kwc

                          • tapuekina
                            Message 13 of 19 , Mar 21, 2007
                              I recently bought Notetab Pro 5.1 version. I bought it because most
                              html sites I visited to recomend it. Now that I have it, still learning
                              where things are, I am trying to understand how to use it.

                              Under help, I clicked on glossary and it responds with..

                              "Cannot find file Glossary otl"

                              I must have been too excited and have put my finger on somewhere it was
                              not supposed to be.

                              Thanks for your help.

                              paul
                            • Sheri
                              Message 14 of 19 , Mar 21, 2007
                                tapuekina wrote:
                                > I recently bought Notetab Pro 5.1 version. I bought it because most
                                > html sites I visited to recomend it. Now that I have it, still learning
                                > where things are, I am trying to understand how to use it.
                                >
                                > Under help, I clicked on glossary and it responds with..
                                >
                                > "Cannot find file Glossary otl"
                                >
                                > I must have been too excited and have put my finger on somewhere it was
                                > not supposed to be.
                                >
                                > Thanks for your help.
                                >
                                > paul

                                Hi,

                                When I installed NoteTab Pro 5.1 into the default directory, I got a
                                Glossary.otl in my C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro 5\ folder. Do you have
                                such a file in the directory where you installed yours?

                                Glossary.otl opens when I click NoteTab Glossary in the Help menu.

                                Regards,
                                Sheri
                              • hsavage
                                Message 15 of 19 , Mar 21, 2007
                                  tapuekina wrote:
                                  > I recently bought Notetab Pro 5.1 version. I bought it
                                  > because most html sites I visited to recomend it. Now that
                                  > I have it, still learning where things are, I am trying
                                  > to understand how to use it.
                                  >
                                  > Under help, I clicked on glossary and it responds with..
                                  >
                                  > "Cannot find file Glossary otl"
                                  >
                                  > I must have been too excited and have put my finger on
                                  > somewhere it was not supposed to be.
                                  >
                                  > Thanks for your help.
                                  >
                                  > paul

                                  Paul,

                                  Find the NoteTab main folder, there should be a subfolder, Outlines. In
                                  that folder should be a file named Glossary.otl. Since it failed to
                                  open when you clicked Glossary, the file may be missing.

                                  If so, here's a link to download the Glossary.otl file from NoteTab website.

                                  http://www.notetab.com/ftp/glossary.zip

                                  Download the file, unzip it and place it in the Outlines folder. It
                                  should then be displayed when you click Glossary under Help.

                                  ºvº SL-3-166
                                  2007.03.21 - 16.17.33

                                  Rules guys wish girls knew...
                                  "Yes and No are perfectly acceptable answers."

                                  ¤ hrs ø hsavage@...
                                • tapuekina
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Mar 21, 2007
                                    --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Sheri <silvermoonwoman@...> wrote:

                                    > tapuekina wrote:
                                    > > I recently bought Notetab Pro 5.1 version. I bought it because
                                    most
                                    > > html sites I visited to recomend it. Now that I have it, still
                                    learning
                                    > > where things are, I am trying to understand how to use it.
                                    > >
                                    > > Under help, I clicked on glossary and it responds with..
                                    > >
                                    > > "Cannot find file Glossary otl"
                                    > >
                                    > > I must have been too excited and have put my finger on somewhere
                                    it was
                                    > > not supposed to be.
                                    > >
                                    > > Thanks for your help.
                                    > >
                                    > > paul
                                    > >
                                    > Hi,
                                    >
                                    > When I installed NoteTab Pro 5.1 into the default directory, I got
                                    > Glossary.otl in my C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro 5\ folder. Do you
                                    have
                                    > such a file in the directory where you installed yours?
                                    >
                                    > Glossary.otl opens when I click NoteTab Glossary in the Help menu.
                                    >
                                    > Regards,
                                    > Sheri

                                    It's always nice to see helpful people in this forum. It feels like a
                                    great enighbor just to run to when I need help.

                                    Sheri, I found the lonely file Glossary.otl listed on my Document
                                    folder. I don't know how it got here but it's here. Anyway, should I
                                    drag and drop it into Notetap folder?

                                    I did and it didn't work.

                                    Please don't laugh for holding my hands and show me where I should
                                    go. I'm totally feel inadeguate here...compared to you guys.

                                    thanks,

                                    paul
                                  • Sheri
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Mar 22, 2007
                                      --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "tapuekina" <tapuekina@...> wrote:

                                      > It's always nice to see helpful people in this forum. It feels like a
                                      > great enighbor just to run to when I need help.
                                      >
                                      > Sheri, I found the lonely file Glossary.otl listed on my Document
                                      > folder. I don't know how it got here but it's here. Anyway, should I
                                      > drag and drop it into Notetap folder?
                                      >
                                      > I did and it didn't work.
                                      >
                                      > Please don't laugh for holding my hands and show me where I should
                                      > go. I'm totally feel inadeguate here...compared to you guys.
                                      >
                                      > thanks,
                                      >
                                      > paul

                                      Hi Paul,

                                      Hope you got that working now, you would probably need to restart
                                      NoteTab after putting the file in the right place. I don't have any
                                      Outlines subfolder, my Glossary.otl was installed directly in the
                                      application folder under Program Files.

                                      Regards,
                                      Sheri