Jody is in hospital

  • Eric Fookes
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 22, 2007
      Hi everyone,

      I have received permission from Jody's wife to give you information
      about his health situation.

      Jody was rushed to hospital at the beginning of the month and has been
      diagnosed with last stage cancer. he has been moved to the hospice a few
      days ago. According to his wife, Doreen, Jody won't be returning home.
      If you would like to send Jody something or visit him, his address is as
      follows:

      Joseph Adair Rm. #302
      West FL Hospital
      8383 N. Davis Hwy.
      Pensacola, FL 32514

      If you want to make a donation to help out Jody and his family, you can
      do so to Doreen's PayPal account: w8n4him@...

      Here's an extract of the latest news I have received from Doreen:

      ************
      Jody is still pretty alert, and even walks to the bathroom. Most of his
      memory is coming back. He complains of pain every time he is awake. The
      Dr. says that they have to gradually increase the pain meds.

      Jody was confused why he was in the hospital, and that no one seemed to
      be trying to cure him of his pain. He kept talking about going home, so
      I had to tell him why he was there. This way he could tell me if there
      is anything special that he needs done, such as funeral services. I
      brought him his laptop, but he couldn't remember his password to log on.
      If he has a really good day soon, he will probably use the laptop. Maybe
      you will receive a message from him!
      ************

      Eric Fookes
      http://www.fookes.com/
    • Christine
      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 22, 2007
        Oh, goodness.
        I'm so sorry to hear this. I've lost online friends over the years and
        it's so hard. We have such relationships, casual to close, but
        relationships nonetheless, which are sometimes more real that those we
        see face-2-face every day. Jody's always just been here. Eric, I'm
        sorry for your loss, I'm sorry for our loss, and I my thoughts and
        prayers are absolutely with Jody's family. I've just sent off a card to
        Jody.
        Thank you for sharing this info with us, particularly as hard as it
        must have been.
        Sincerely,
        Christine
      • Eric Fookes
        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 23, 2007
          Hi everyone,

          Here's the latest news from Jody's wife:

          I stayed with Jody all day yesterday, and all he did was sleep. I just
          called the hospice this morning and they said he slept all night, too.
          If he continues sleeping, it will signal that he is much closer to
          passing on.
          Yesterday, he woke up just long enough to have one bite of food, but
          spit it out after a minute. He is drinking very little liquids now, too.
          Hospice will not interfere with force feeding him(such as a tube), since
          he is terminal. He sleeps well, so I believe he is at least out of pain.
          He is ready to meet the Lord, and will be happy when that day comes.

          Eric Fookes
          http://www.fookes.com/
        • jehall522
          Message 4 of 20 , Feb 23, 2007
            Hey Eric et al

            I'm sorry to hear about Jody's illness.

            I too have Stage IV Cancer and have spent the past year having
            surgery, chemo, and the whole gamut.

            I emailed Jody and told him about it about 6 months ago but never
            heard back from him.

            I wanted him to know why I haven't been active for the past year and
            let him know that I still hang out on the fringe when I can.

            I'm in the hospice program at home, mentally alert, physically
            declining and on Morphine 24/7.

            If you could relay a message to Doreen I would appreciate it.

            If she hasn't already done so, the VERY FIRST chance she gets, she
            needs to contact the local VA office and with Jody's DD-214 in hand,
            go down and talk to those folks.

            There are many different things that they can help her with.

            She can find a lot of good information at

            http://www.vba.va.gov/

            If she can't find Jody's DD-214 then she can apply for a copy on line
            at

            http://www.vba.va.gov/ro/providence/C&P/dd214.htm

            Realistically it takes 2 to 3 weeks to get a copy.

            I know how much she has on her plate right now but contacting the VA
            ASAP will help a lot.

            Eric, thanks for stepping up and helping Doreen, it is a pretty tough
            time for her right now and I for one appreciate what you are doing.

            It is times like this when you find out who your real friends are.

            Jim Hall

            > Hi everyone,
            >
            > Here's the latest news from Jody's wife:
            >
            > I stayed with Jody all day yesterday, and all he did was sleep. I
            just
            > called the hospice this morning and they said he slept all night,
            too.
            > If he continues sleeping, it will signal that he is much closer to
            > passing on.
            > Yesterday, he woke up just long enough to have one bite of food,
            but
            > spit it out after a minute. He is drinking very little liquids now,
            too.
            > Hospice will not interfere with force feeding him(such as a tube),
            since
            > he is terminal. He sleeps well, so I believe he is at least out of
            pain.
            > He is ready to meet the Lord, and will be happy when that day comes.
            >
            > --
            > Regards,
            >
            > Eric Fookes
            > http://www.fookes.com/

          • sisterscape
            Message 5 of 20 , Feb 24, 2007
              The list hasn't been the same the last few months without Jody. It's
              sad to know that he probably won't be coming back. His presence is
              greatly missed.

              --- Eric Fookes <egroups@...> wrote:

              > Hi everyone,
              >
              > Here's the latest news from Jody's wife:
              >
              > I stayed with Jody all day yesterday, and all he did was sleep. I
              > just
              > called the hospice this morning and they said he slept all night,
              > too.
              > If he continues sleeping, it will signal that he is much closer to
              > passing on.
              > Yesterday, he woke up just long enough to have one bite of food, but
              > spit it out after a minute. He is drinking very little liquids now,
              > too.
              > Hospice will not interfere with force feeding him(such as a tube),
              > since
              > he is terminal. He sleeps well, so I believe he is at least out of
              > pain.
              > He is ready to meet the Lord, and will be happy when that day comes.
              >
              > --
              > Regards,
              >
              > Eric Fookes
              > http://www.fookes.com/

              > Fookes Software: http://www.fookes.com
              > Yahoo! Groups - Join or create groups, clubs, forums &
              > communities. Links

              http://new.mail.yahoo.com
            • Eric Fookes
              Message 6 of 20 , Feb 28, 2007
                Hi everyone,

                I am sad to announce that Jody passed away last night at around 2 am
                (Florida time). Jody was a very good friend and he will be greatly
                missed. I am happy though that he's no longer suffering and I believe he
                is now with the Lord.

                The very first message I received from Jody was on May 10, 1997. Since
                then there has been a flood of emails between us that never stopped
                until end of January 2007 when he was rushed to hospital.

                Looking through my email archives I found that Jody started the first
                NoteTab mailing list in October 1997. He started handling some NoteTab
                sales (checks, money orders) in spring 1998 and officially became a
                member of the Fookes Software team. Then around November 1998, Jody
                started handling NoteTab customer support and has done so faithfully for
                all Fookes Software titles until last month.

                I only met Jody once in person. That was in July 2000 when I invited him
                to join me at the Shareware Industry Conference in Tampa. NoteTab Light
                was announced the winner of the 2000 "Shareware Industry Awards" in the
                Best Application category during that event. It was thrilling to
                celebrate the award together. Unfortunately, I haven't had the
                opportunity to return to the USA since then.

                Fookes Software won't be quite the same anymore without Jody.

                Eric Fookes
                http://www.fookes.com/
              • John Wallace
                Message 7 of 20 , Feb 28, 2007
                  Sorry to hear that.
                  He will be greatly missed.

                  My condolences to his family.

                  John Wallace
                  Pontiac Power RULES !!!
                  www.wallaceracing.com

                  _____

[...]

                  http://www.fookes <http://www.fookes.com/> com/

                • Brian Binder
                  Message 8 of 20 , Feb 28, 2007
                    I can't believe it and am very sorry to hear the news. It's still a
                    harsh reality when someone passes away and you knew them through boards,
                    or email, etc.

                    I remember when I had talked with him once and accidentally referred to
                    him as a girl because of my own ignorance. But he was always such a
                    nice person and just laughed about it.

                    I had apologized about it but still felt bad. Because no offense, but
                    the writing style he had was so neat and clean it was hard to believe
                    that a man was behind the keyboard with those perfect writing and
                    grammar skills.

                    I'm in the IT industry and I have yet to meet someone who comes close to
                    writing 1/10 as well as he did in his replies and what-not - especially
                    a man. ( Sorry men, I'm not trying to insult us! :D )

                    But my thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends, as I'm
                    sure he will be missed by all.

                    God bless,

                    Brian Binder

                    Eric Fookes wrote:

                    > Hi everyone,
                    >
                    > I am sad to announce that Jody passed away last night at around 2 am
                    > (Florida time). Jody was a very good friend and he will be greatly
                    > missed. I am happy though that he's no longer suffering and I believe he
                    > is now with the Lord.
                    >
                    > The very first message I received from Jody was on May 10, 1997. Since
                    > then there has been a flood of emails between us that never stopped
                    > until end of January 2007 when he was rushed to hospital.
                    >
                    > Looking through my email archives I found that Jody started the first
                    > NoteTab mailing list in October 1997. He started handling some NoteTab
                    > sales (checks, money orders) in spring 1998 and officially became a
                    > member of the Fookes Software team. Then around November 1998, Jody
                    > started handling NoteTab customer support and has done so faithfully for
                    > all Fookes Software titles until last month.
                    >
                    > I only met Jody once in person. That was in July 2000 when I invited him
                    > to join me at the Shareware Industry Conference in Tampa. NoteTab Light
                    > was announced the winner of the 2000 "Shareware Industry Awards" in the
                    > Best Application category during that event. It was thrilling to
                    > celebrate the award together. Unfortunately, I haven't had the
                    > opportunity to return to the USA since then.
                    >
                    > Fookes Software won't be quite the same anymore without Jody.
                    >
                    > --
                    > Regards,
                    >
                    > Eric Fookes
                    > http://www.fookes.com/ <http://www.fookes.com/>
                  • RS
                    Message 9 of 20 , Feb 28, 2007
                      Hi Eric, Everyone,

                      I'm very sad to hear about Jody. Please extend my sympathies to his family.

                      He's been an invaluable help to so many people all these years, heading
                      a user's group that defined an era, and organizing and consolidating a
                      loyal user base around NoteTab.

                      He will be remembered by everyone on these lists.

                      Best regards,

                      Ramon Silvera

                    • ladyck3@tx.rr.com
                      Message 10 of 20 , Feb 28, 2007
                        ---- Eric Fookes <egroups@...> wrote:
                        > Hi everyone,
                        >
                        > I am sad to announce that Jody passed away last night at around 2 am
                        > (Florida time).

                        Oh my, my condolences to his family...and to Fookes Software. And Eric, thanks so much for letting us know.

                        Someone mentioned his embarrassment at thinking that Jody was female and I had to chuckle, I did the same thing and yes, he was so gracious to accept the profuse apologies laid before him.

                        I am so welled up with tears right now it is difficult to say much.. he will be so very missed.... always SO helpful to everyone... a good person. I do am happy he is no longer suffering but extremely saddened.

                        I truly sad day....

                        We will miss you Jody....rest well and in peace.

                        Laurie
                        (aka ladyck3)
                      • EvBarney@comcast.net
                        Message 11 of 20 , Feb 28, 2007
                          I have corresponded with Jody off and on for years. We disagreed violently about just about everything other than how to write clips for Note Tab (something I unquestioningly bowed to his expertise on).

                          I will miss him.

                          My prayers are with him and his family.

                          Ev
                        • Patricia Tidmarsh
                          Message 12 of 20 , Feb 28, 2007
                            For many years Jody's expertize and helpfulness
                            were a daily presence on the list. And we could count on him to solve
                            problems cheerfully. He was particularly
                            helpful to me when I had a password problem. He contributed a great deal
                            and was the epitomy of the generosity of spirit and knowledge which make
                            being on the internet a pleasant experience.

                            We miss him and extend condolences to his family.

                            Patricia

                            On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 EvBarney@... wrote: ght!pine

                            > I have corresponded with Jody off and on for years. We disagreed
                            > violently about just about everything other than how to write clips for
                            > Note Tab (something I unquestioningly bowed to his expertise on).
                            >
                            > I will miss him.
                            >
                            > My prayers are with him and his family.
                            >
                            > Ev

                            > Fookes Software: http://www.fookes.com
                            > Yahoo! Groups Links

                          • GilaMountainDulcimers.com
                            Message 13 of 20 , Feb 28, 2007
                              Eeric,
                              I am so sorry to hear this. He certainly was a great contributor and a wonderful person. We will all miss his knowledge and generosity.

                              Hugs,
                              Kerry Coates in New Mexico
                              Visit all my websites!
                              http://www.GilaMountainDulcimers.com
                              http://www.Amazing-Health-Products.com
                              http://www.GamblingStrategyCards.com
                              http://www.CharroCoats.com
                              http://www.PaulCoatesGuitar.com

                            • kalynuik1@hotmail.com
                              Message 14 of 20 , Feb 28, 2007
                                Jody will be solely missed by all.

                                I remember years ago when Jody helped myself with a number of problems I had before I did some of my clipbooks, he always had the answer or knew where to get it, and even went out of his way to find the answer if he did not know. A truely dedicated person.

                                Jody, may you always influence our lives and be with us in our hearts, thank-you for everything, may you "Rest in Peace". Thank-you for being there.

                                Steve Kalynuik

                              • Scott Fordin
                                Message 15 of 20 , Feb 28, 2007
                                  While Eric is the heart and brain behind the Fookes line,
                                  Jody was the soul of the Notetab community. So many times,
                                  when people ask me about one of the most useful software
                                  tools around, Notetab Pro, I invariably talk about the
                                  Notetab community. Besides the technical excellence of the
                                  software, it is the community that truly sets Notetab apart
                                  -- making it not just a tool, but a place where supportive,
                                  inquisitive minds have been meeting for years. Jody was the
                                  soul that kept this community on track, focused, sympathetic,
                                  respectful, responsive, helpful, and remarkably active.

                                  As much as many of us were helped by Jody over the years and
                                  will very much miss his kind spirit, our pain at his loss has
                                  to pale against the pain you must be feeling, Eric, at the
                                  loss of your friend and colleague, and the pain Jody's family
                                  must be feeling right now. I am so sorry for your and their
                                  loss. Peace be with you and with Jody's family.

                                  Scott
                                • Carl Swann
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Mar 1, 2007
                                    --- Eric Fookes <egroups@...> wrote:

                                    > Hi everyone,
                                    >
                                    > I am sad to announce that Jody passed away last
                                    > night at around 2 am
                                    > (Florida time). Jody was a very good friend and he
                                    > will be greatly
                                    > missed. I am happy though that he's no longer
                                    > suffering and I believe he
                                    > is now with the Lord.

                                    May his soul find repose, and may peace envelop his
                                    friends and family. He was a friend and I will miss
                                    him.

                                    Carl Swann

                                    Get your own web address.
                                  • Eric Fookes
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Mar 1, 2007
                                      Hi everyone,

                                      Thanks for all the kind messages concerning Jody. His wife, Doreen, just
                                      sent the following details about the funeral:

                                      **********************
                                      Jody's funeral will be held next Wednesday, March 7 at 12 noon at Lewis
                                      Funeral Home in Milton on Hwy. 90. The burial will be at Barrancas
                                      Cemetery in Pensacola at 2 pm. On Tuesday, March 6, the funeral home
                                      will be open for visitors from 6-8 pm.
                                      **********************

                                      Sadly, I will not be able to attend the event due to visa issues.
                                      Perhaps one of you lives nearby and would like to attend the funeral?

                                      Eric Fookes
                                      http://www.fookes.com/
                                    • Eric Fookes
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Mar 2, 2007
                                        Hi everyone,

                                        Here is the home address of Jody's wife if you want to send a card or
                                        something else:

                                        Mrs. Doreen Adair
                                        10535 Pinewood Lane
                                        Milton, FL 32583
                                        USA

                                        Eric Fookes
                                        http://www.fookes.com/
                                      • Eric Fookes
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Mar 6, 2007
                                          Hi everyone,

                                          Here is the email address of Jody's wife if you want to write her a
                                          message: Doreen Adair <w8n4him@...>

                                          Spelling it out the address is w8n4him at earthlink dot net.

                                          And here is a copy of Jody's obituary:
                                          http://www.fookes.com/Jody_obituary.php

                                          Eric Fookes
                                          http://www.fookes.com/
                                        • Joe Rose
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Mar 9, 2007
                                            It has been ages since I've visited the groups. It was an immediate
                                            great sadness to read this news about Jody. I only needed help a
                                            couple of times, (as I never got deep into Clip programming, etc.) but
                                            his willingness to help and his "going the extra mile" were impressive
                                            then, and appear to be illustrative of his life.

                                            I echo Steve's thoughts... humbling to know just how much influence
                                            one can be to thousands. May his kindnesses cause a like "kind tribe"
                                            to increase!

                                            Joe