The mysterious line break

  • djust@netvision.net.il
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 1, 1998
      anybody have any ideas on my added line-break problem from
      yesterday?

      Thanks,
      David.

    • Wren McMains
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 1, 1998
        Hi David,

        Your sample files probably require too much of your
        environment for most people to help you.

        Which of the 3 clips in template9b1.clb adds the
        line? To what file? Where in the file?

        Can you give us a simple version of this problem clip
        which works (or doesn't) on a test file in the current
        directory? Also give us the test file(s).

        Then I'm sure someone could help.

        -Wren

        djust@... wrote:

        > anybody have any ideas on my added line-break problem from
        > yesterday?

      • Jody Adair
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 1, 1998
          Hi David,

          >anybody have any ideas on my added line-break problem from
          >yesterday?

          So far I haven't been able to check it too throughly. It's
          taking some time to rename all the paths and figure out exactly
          what you are wanting us to check. What exactly am I suppose to
          run. Which is the problem clip. I'm not concerned about the
          good ones. It would help if those of us on the list had a standard path(s) to use for testing which we all could have on our drives.

          Wren had some good suggestions. :)

        • Jody Adair
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 1, 1998
            Hi David,

            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 1, 1998
              >It would help if those of us on the list had a standard
              > path(s) to use for testing which we all could have on our drives.
              The c:\unzipped\ntpb4etc is easy, since it uses Windows and
              Winzip defaults, but I'll go along with any reasonable suggestion.

              Template9etc is the problem clip.

              Thank you.
              David Jonathan Justman

            • djust@netvision.net.il
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 1, 1998
                (Sent the reply to the list because it could be that Eric should
                know all these funny details about the line breaks).
                > > Once it is "broken in", as above, everything will go fine until
                the end
                > > of clip 3, when it tells you that "curtplt is now ready for use". When
                > > you press OK, it will a) ADD A LINE BREAK after the current cursor
                > > position of the topmost file, thus,
                >
                > It sure takes a lot of riding to break that sucker in.
                Pity me. The first time I had to go through all of that without
                knowing if it was going to work. One of my physics teachers said
                that I had a talent for always finding the most indirect way to solve
                any problem.

                > Once I did I was able to repeat your problem. (I had only
                > one file open with four lines in it, my cursor at the beginning
                > of the third line.)
                >
                > The solution is that your template9b1.clb file end with
                > a lot of blank lines (<NL>'s) then a line with one space char
                > on it, and then another blank line. If you remove the line with
                > the single space on it the problem goes away. (i.e., it
                > works correctly even with extra blank lines at the end, just
                > as long as one ISN'T "almost" blank.)
                That was it, in principle. My copy had 2 pure line breaks at the
                end, but when I deleted them, everything returned to normal.

                > I'll leave it to the other readers to explain why this is
                > causing a problem. (I do notice your template9b1.clb has Unix
                > line breaks.)
                Can't figure this one out. Was written and modified on various
                versions of Notetab, pure Win95; no Unixes are allowed in our
                neighborhood. I do know that a lot of my programs have trouble
                reading line breaks from my other programs. I'm running the
                original Hebrew Win95, probably the world's weirdest version,
                but I can't imagine that they were using Unix line breaks.

                > Do I get a free book from Amazon?
                How about a free picture postcard of beautiful Petach Tikva?
                Thanks a lot.
                David.

              • Jody Adair
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 3, 1998
                  Hi David,

                  You wrote the following on 12:38 AM 9/2/98 +0300:

                  >>It would help if those of us on the list had a standard
                  >> path(s) to use for testing which we all could have on our drives.

                  ...but I'll go along with any reasonable suggestion.

                  I use...

                  NoteTabAppPath\Temp
                  NoteTabAppPath\Test

                  ...because they are easy to get to, but anywhere in NoteTab's
                  folders is fine. If ^$GetAppPath$ is used and whatever folder,
                  then it is easy for anybody to do a S&R to change the folder if
                  need be in any clips that are sent to us.

                  Happy NoteTabbin',
                  Jody
                  http://www.mindspring.com/~kjb1611/notetab/notetab.htm