Re: [NTB] Should I buy this software?

  • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 18, 2007
      Jeff Scism wrote:
      > The freeware verson (NoteTab light) doesn't do mass edits, but both
      > purchased versions do.

      I would not say this is totally accurate. Even if search and replace on
      disk isn't available on the freeware version (I don't have any idea as
      I'm not running a copy), you can still do mass replacements via a clip
      with the freeware version. This is great software if you are willing to
      use it fully and the cost of buying one of the main versions is very
      modest.

      You can see the relative comparison of the three versions here:
      http://notetab.com/chart.php

      You can most definitely work on files created in dreamweaver in notetab.
      I'm not a dreamweaver fan really. I much prefer notetab and seeing my
      html. If you are a mainframe guy, learning a little html won't take you
      long. It is a very simple language for the most part.
    • MotoMania
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 18, 2007
        Hi Maureen,

        I think that you are looking in exactly the right direction for updating
        your html files with NoteTab.

        I also us Dreamweaver some when creating a website or new look for one.
        I only use Dreamweaver to do the initial layout/design and once happy
        with that I switch to NoteTab to do everything by "hand". Most of the
        time I use PHP to break down the layout into sections for easier
        updating of a particular section whether it's a header, footer, menu, etc.

        NoteTab is great and has only gotten better over the years. I highly
        recommend it as an editor, whether it's for html or other things. Being
        able to build and use clips for things is a great plus for programming
        and coding.

        The investment in the Pro version is minimal and well worth every cent
        spent, IM - not so - HO. As was said, feel free to post questions on
        these lists. There are lots of folks who are very knowledgeable and more
        than willing to help.

        Welcome to the NTB family :)

        MotoMania aka Mick
        motomania@...
        Remove SPAM to email me :)

        safely in a pretty and well preserved body -- but rather to skid in
        broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming
        -- WOW, WHAT A RIDE!!" - Author : Unknown

        sswvfarm1081 wrote:

        > Hello, I have a website and my son created the pages in Dreamweaver.
        > Usually he is not available to edit them for me. I can do simple
        > changes myself and upload the revised pages. However, sometimes I
        > need to do mass edits which take me all day.
        >
        > I found the NoteTab software in a search and I would like to know
        > your opinion -
        >
        > 1) if I buy this, will I be able to get it installed and do the mass
        > edits without a long learning curve? I can learn the other features
        > later.
        >
        > 2) is this ok to use with pages created in Dreamweaver?
        >
        > 3) should I just try the freeware for what I need to do right now?
        >
        > Sorry to sound so ignorant - I was actually a mainframe programmer
        > for 20 years, but never learned pc/web applications! Now I am in a
        > completely different field and am learning this stuff for my own
        > website by trial and error.
        >
        > Thank you in advance - user groups are the best!
        >
        > Maureen

      • Corl DeLuna
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 18, 2007
          Hi Maureen,

          I switched from HomeSite and Dreamweaver to using NoteTab because It allows
          me to stay focused on the HTML, rather than the tool. I use the pro version
          because I work in a networked environment. Plus, NoteTab is so easy to
          customize any tag you want, which was a advanced pain with any other tool
          I've worked with. Check out the many clip libraries available for NoteTab
          http://www.notetab.com/html.php

          There are a million places to learn HTML, but I got a great crash course at
          http://www.w3schools.com/html/default.asp

          There is a NoteTab list just for HTML
          http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/ntb-html/

          Best,
          Corl

          _____

          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 18, 2007
            Thank you to everyone - I am using the trial Pro version right now.
            I'm sure I will buy it shortly. The price is so reasonable -
            certainly I can afford NoteTab more than my own version of Adobe
            software.

            --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "sswvfarm1081" <sswvfarm1081@...>
            wrote:

            > Hello, I have a website and my son created the pages in
            Dreamweaver.
            > Usually he is not available to edit them for me. I can do simple
            > changes myself and upload the revised pages. However, sometimes I
            > need to do mass edits which take me all day.
            >
            > I found the NoteTab software in a search and I would like to know
            > your opinion -
            >
            > 1) if I buy this, will I be able to get it installed and do the
            mass
            > edits without a long learning curve? I can learn the other
            features
            > later.
            >
            > 2) is this ok to use with pages created in Dreamweaver?
            >
            > 3) should I just try the freeware for what I need to do right now?
            >
            > Sorry to sound so ignorant - I was actually a mainframe programmer
            > for 20 years, but never learned pc/web applications! Now I am in a
            > completely different field and am learning this stuff for my own
            > website by trial and error.
            >
            > Thank you in advance - user groups are the best!
            >
            > Maureen

          • Bruce Meyers
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 18, 2007
              You are hearing from some of the professionals who use NoteTab and they are right. It has a great many valuable features even if you don't use clips. I don't use clips because I don't understand them and have never learned how to create them or even to use some that are in libraries. I am an "advanced beginner" at html - xhtml and css and I find that NoteTab is invaluable in working on web pages. [This makes me a little closer to you in ability than the professionals who have replied.]

              Some people submit material to me to include in web pages in text files. NoteTab can convert text files to html files (if you are willing to do a little editing afterward) and this feature is ideal for my needs.

              I strongly urge you to buy either NoteTab Pro or NoteTab Standard (which is what I use) and learn to use some of the wonderful features it has. You cannot go wrong!

[...]

              Yahoo! Groups Links

            • S or J
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 18, 2007
                Hi Maureen and Jeff:

                Actually the freeware version 4.95 does do mass edits --
                just a little differently, but with no difficulty.

                I use it every month to make several thousand "search and
                replaces" across a total of 3 or 4 megabytes of open files (typically
                30 of my website files at a time). I probably could do more files
                at a time but don't know if NoteTab Light has a memory size
                limit for such transactions; so I err on the side of caution.

                First close all open files so only the files we will need will
                be present for the editing..

                If you have no idea which files contain the text needing change,
                Jeff's Ctl+D brings up the search box allowing a search through
                all the files in a directory, or including sub directories. Make sure
                the Confirm box is checked, and it will now display all files
                found matching the criteria. You have the option, thanks to Confirm,
                as to which files you will leave checked for opening. Click on Open
                and only the files remaining checked will be opened for editing.

                (NoteTab Light differs from Jeff's instructions in that the
                Ctl+D search box contains no replace option. Instead the selected
                files containing your search criteria are now all open and
                the Replace option is to be done from another menu.)

                Under NoteTab Light's Search menu is a Replace function,
                which you can direct to do search and replace across all open
                files, with or without confirmation. Works great.

                As to whether NoteTab Light meets all your other needs will
                depend on your evaluation of additional features present
                in the paid versions. They are all terrific programs.

                regards

                Steve -- in Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada

                "Jeff Scism" Scismgenie@... wrote:
                >The freeware verson (NoteTab light) doesn't do mass edits, but both
                >purchased versions do.
                >When you get the Standard or Pro version post on the list and someone
                >will be able to answer your questions.
                >The Program does it by directory replacements, youn tell it which
                >directory to search , give it what to search for and what to replace the
                >phrase with.
                >VERY simple, all you have to do is hold down the Ctrl key and tap the
                >letter D. (Ctrl+D)
                >Once the directory search box opens you use the edit bar at the top of
                >the box to switch from search directory to replace in directory.
                >(I use the 'confirm option' to display which files it will change BEFORE
                >it changes them, if you leave it unchecked it makes the changes as it
                >finds the phrase.
              • Scott Fordin
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 18, 2007
                  I'd just like to make two points in addition to the

                  First, I've used Notetab Pro for five years or so, and
                  it has saved me many, many hours in programmatic text
                  processing, HTML, and bulk editing chores. Notetab's
                  clip language is really a marvel, and it is well worth
                  learning at least the basics. As with other people here,
                  I often do my initial design work in Dreamweaver, but do
                  the day-to-day maintenance chores in Notetab Pro.

                  Second, it is hard to overstate the extraordinary
                  levels of peer support available through these mailing
                  lists. You are truly not alone when you're using
                  Notetab, and that's not something you can say about a
                  lot of software.

                  Go ahead, buy it! It's a bargain!

                  Scott