Re: [NTB] Should I buy this software?

  • loro
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 18, 2007
      sswvfarm1081 wrote:
      >1) if I buy this, will I be able to get it installed and do the mass
      >edits without a long learning curve? I can learn the other features
      >later.

      Sure. In addition to the disk search that Jeff mentioned you can do
      replacements in all open documents. It's also possible to make more
      advanced replacements with the help of the built-in scripting language
      ("CLips"). For example you could search for <!-- FOOTER START --> and
      replace everything from there to <!-- FOOTER END -->. There's a Clip list
      where people would be happy to help you with how to do that.

      BTW, you don't have to buy to try. There's a 30 days trial IIRC. I'd get
      the Pro, not Standard. You can see the differences here.
      http://notetab.com/chart.php

      Lotta
    • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 18, 2007
        Jeff Scism wrote:
        > The freeware verson (NoteTab light) doesn't do mass edits, but both
        > purchased versions do.

        I would not say this is totally accurate. Even if search and replace on
        disk isn't available on the freeware version (I don't have any idea as
        I'm not running a copy), you can still do mass replacements via a clip
        with the freeware version. This is great software if you are willing to
        use it fully and the cost of buying one of the main versions is very
        modest.

        You can see the relative comparison of the three versions here:
        http://notetab.com/chart.php

        You can most definitely work on files created in dreamweaver in notetab.
        I'm not a dreamweaver fan really. I much prefer notetab and seeing my
        html. If you are a mainframe guy, learning a little html won't take you
        long. It is a very simple language for the most part.
      • MotoMania
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 18, 2007
          Hi Maureen,

          I think that you are looking in exactly the right direction for updating
          your html files with NoteTab.

          I also us Dreamweaver some when creating a website or new look for one.
          I only use Dreamweaver to do the initial layout/design and once happy
          with that I switch to NoteTab to do everything by "hand". Most of the
          time I use PHP to break down the layout into sections for easier
          updating of a particular section whether it's a header, footer, menu, etc.

          NoteTab is great and has only gotten better over the years. I highly
          recommend it as an editor, whether it's for html or other things. Being
          able to build and use clips for things is a great plus for programming
          and coding.

          The investment in the Pro version is minimal and well worth every cent
          spent, IM - not so - HO. As was said, feel free to post questions on
          these lists. There are lots of folks who are very knowledgeable and more
          than willing to help.

          Welcome to the NTB family :)

          MotoMania aka Mick
          motomania@...
          Remove SPAM to email me :)

          safely in a pretty and well preserved body -- but rather to skid in
          broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming
          -- WOW, WHAT A RIDE!!" - Author : Unknown

          sswvfarm1081 wrote:

          > Hello, I have a website and my son created the pages in Dreamweaver.
          > Usually he is not available to edit them for me. I can do simple
          > changes myself and upload the revised pages. However, sometimes I
          > need to do mass edits which take me all day.
          >
          > I found the NoteTab software in a search and I would like to know
          > your opinion -
          >
          > 1) if I buy this, will I be able to get it installed and do the mass
          > edits without a long learning curve? I can learn the other features
          > later.
          >
          > 2) is this ok to use with pages created in Dreamweaver?
          >
          > 3) should I just try the freeware for what I need to do right now?
          >
          > Sorry to sound so ignorant - I was actually a mainframe programmer
          > for 20 years, but never learned pc/web applications! Now I am in a
          > completely different field and am learning this stuff for my own
          > website by trial and error.
          >
          > Thank you in advance - user groups are the best!
          >
          > Maureen

        • Corl DeLuna
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 18, 2007
            Hi Maureen,

            I switched from HomeSite and Dreamweaver to using NoteTab because It allows
            me to stay focused on the HTML, rather than the tool. I use the pro version
            because I work in a networked environment. Plus, NoteTab is so easy to
            customize any tag you want, which was a advanced pain with any other tool
            I've worked with. Check out the many clip libraries available for NoteTab
            http://www.notetab.com/html.php

            There are a million places to learn HTML, but I got a great crash course at
            http://www.w3schools.com/html/default.asp

            There is a NoteTab list just for HTML
            http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/ntb-html/

            Best,
            Corl

            _____

            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 18, 2007
              Thank you to everyone - I am using the trial Pro version right now.
              I'm sure I will buy it shortly. The price is so reasonable -
              certainly I can afford NoteTab more than my own version of Adobe
              software.

              --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "sswvfarm1081" <sswvfarm1081@...>
              wrote:

              > Hello, I have a website and my son created the pages in
              Dreamweaver.
              > Usually he is not available to edit them for me. I can do simple
              > changes myself and upload the revised pages. However, sometimes I
              > need to do mass edits which take me all day.
              >
              > I found the NoteTab software in a search and I would like to know
              > your opinion -
              >
              > 1) if I buy this, will I be able to get it installed and do the
              mass
              > edits without a long learning curve? I can learn the other
              features
              > later.
              >
              > 2) is this ok to use with pages created in Dreamweaver?
              >
              > 3) should I just try the freeware for what I need to do right now?
              >
              > Sorry to sound so ignorant - I was actually a mainframe programmer
              > for 20 years, but never learned pc/web applications! Now I am in a
              > completely different field and am learning this stuff for my own
              > website by trial and error.
              >
              > Thank you in advance - user groups are the best!
              >
              > Maureen

            • Bruce Meyers
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 18, 2007
                You are hearing from some of the professionals who use NoteTab and they are right. It has a great many valuable features even if you don't use clips. I don't use clips because I don't understand them and have never learned how to create them or even to use some that are in libraries. I am an "advanced beginner" at html - xhtml and css and I find that NoteTab is invaluable in working on web pages. [This makes me a little closer to you in ability than the professionals who have replied.]

                Some people submit material to me to include in web pages in text files. NoteTab can convert text files to html files (if you are willing to do a little editing afterward) and this feature is ideal for my needs.

                I strongly urge you to buy either NoteTab Pro or NoteTab Standard (which is what I use) and learn to use some of the wonderful features it has. You cannot go wrong!

[...]

                Yahoo! Groups Links

              • S or J
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 18, 2007
                  Hi Maureen and Jeff:

                  Actually the freeware version 4.95 does do mass edits --
                  just a little differently, but with no difficulty.

                  I use it every month to make several thousand "search and
                  replaces" across a total of 3 or 4 megabytes of open files (typically
                  30 of my website files at a time). I probably could do more files
                  at a time but don't know if NoteTab Light has a memory size
                  limit for such transactions; so I err on the side of caution.

                  First close all open files so only the files we will need will
                  be present for the editing..

                  If you have no idea which files contain the text needing change,
                  Jeff's Ctl+D brings up the search box allowing a search through
                  all the files in a directory, or including sub directories. Make sure
                  the Confirm box is checked, and it will now display all files
                  found matching the criteria. You have the option, thanks to Confirm,
                  as to which files you will leave checked for opening. Click on Open
                  and only the files remaining checked will be opened for editing.

                  (NoteTab Light differs from Jeff's instructions in that the
                  Ctl+D search box contains no replace option. Instead the selected
                  files containing your search criteria are now all open and
                  the Replace option is to be done from another menu.)

                  Under NoteTab Light's Search menu is a Replace function,
                  which you can direct to do search and replace across all open
                  files, with or without confirmation. Works great.

                  As to whether NoteTab Light meets all your other needs will
                  depend on your evaluation of additional features present
                  in the paid versions. They are all terrific programs.

                  regards

                  Steve -- in Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada

                  "Jeff Scism" Scismgenie@... wrote:
                  >The freeware verson (NoteTab light) doesn't do mass edits, but both
                  >purchased versions do.
                  >When you get the Standard or Pro version post on the list and someone
                  >will be able to answer your questions.
                  >The Program does it by directory replacements, youn tell it which
                  >directory to search , give it what to search for and what to replace the
                  >phrase with.
                  >VERY simple, all you have to do is hold down the Ctrl key and tap the
                  >letter D. (Ctrl+D)
                  >Once the directory search box opens you use the edit bar at the top of
                  >the box to switch from search directory to replace in directory.
                  >(I use the 'confirm option' to display which files it will change BEFORE
                  >it changes them, if you leave it unchecked it makes the changes as it
                  >finds the phrase.
                • Scott Fordin
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 18, 2007
                    I'd just like to make two points in addition to the

                    First, I've used Notetab Pro for five years or so, and
                    it has saved me many, many hours in programmatic text
                    processing, HTML, and bulk editing chores. Notetab's
                    clip language is really a marvel, and it is well worth
                    learning at least the basics. As with other people here,
                    I often do my initial design work in Dreamweaver, but do
                    the day-to-day maintenance chores in Notetab Pro.

                    Second, it is hard to overstate the extraordinary
                    levels of peer support available through these mailing
                    lists. You are truly not alone when you're using
                    Notetab, and that's not something you can say about a
                    lot of software.

                    Go ahead, buy it! It's a bargain!

                    Scott