Should I buy this software?

  • sswvfarm1081
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 18, 2007
      Hello, I have a website and my son created the pages in Dreamweaver.
      Usually he is not available to edit them for me. I can do simple
      changes myself and upload the revised pages. However, sometimes I
      need to do mass edits which take me all day.

      I found the NoteTab software in a search and I would like to know
      your opinion -

      1) if I buy this, will I be able to get it installed and do the mass
      edits without a long learning curve? I can learn the other features
      later.

      2) is this ok to use with pages created in Dreamweaver?

      3) should I just try the freeware for what I need to do right now?

      Sorry to sound so ignorant - I was actually a mainframe programmer
      for 20 years, but never learned pc/web applications! Now I am in a
      completely different field and am learning this stuff for my own
      website by trial and error.

      Thank you in advance - user groups are the best!

      Maureen
    • Jeff Scism
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 18, 2007
        The freeware verson (NoteTab light) doesn't do mass edits, but both
        purchased versions do.

        When you get the Standard or Pro version post on the list and someone
        will be able to answer your questions.

        The Program does it by directory replacements, youn tell it which
        directory to search , give it what to search for and what to replace the
        phrase with.

        VERY simple, all you have to do is hold down the Ctrl key and tap the
        letter D. (Ctrl+D)

        Once the directory search box opens you use the edit bar at the top of
        the box to switch from search directory to replace in directory.

        (I use the 'confirm option' to display which files it will change BEFORE
        it changes them, if you leave it unchecked it makes the changes as it
        finds the phrase.

        Jeff Scism

        sswvfarm1081 wrote:

        > Hello, I have a website and my son created the pages in Dreamweaver.
        > Usually he is not available to edit them for me. I can do simple
        > changes myself and upload the revised pages. However, sometimes I
        > need to do mass edits which take me all day.
        >
        > I found the NoteTab software in a search and I would like to know
        > your opinion -
        >
        > 1) if I buy this, will I be able to get it installed and do the mass
        > edits without a long learning curve? I can learn the other features
        > later.
        >
        > 2) is this ok to use with pages created in Dreamweaver?
        >
        > 3) should I just try the freeware for what I need to do right now?
        >
        > Sorry to sound so ignorant - I was actually a mainframe programmer
        > for 20 years, but never learned pc/web applications! Now I am in a
        > completely different field and am learning this stuff for my own
        > website by trial and error.
        >
        > Thank you in advance - user groups are the best!
        >
        > Maureen

      • sswvfarm1081
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 18, 2007
          Thank you for the quick reply - I will try it later today. This
          would really be a big help to someone html-challenged like me.
          Maureen

          --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Scism <Scismgenie@...> wrote:

          > The freeware verson (NoteTab light) doesn't do mass edits, but both
          > purchased versions do.
          >
          > When you get the Standard or Pro version post on the list and
          someone
          > will be able to answer your questions.
          >
          > The Program does it by directory replacements, youn tell it which
          > directory to search , give it what to search for and what to
          replace the
          > phrase with.
          >
          > VERY simple, all you have to do is hold down the Ctrl key and tap
          the
          > letter D. (Ctrl+D)
          >
          > Once the directory search box opens you use the edit bar at the top
          of
          > the box to switch from search directory to replace in directory.
          >
          > (I use the 'confirm option' to display which files it will change
          BEFORE
          > it changes them, if you leave it unchecked it makes the changes as
          it
          > finds the phrase.
          >
          > Jeff Scism
          >
          > sswvfarm1081 wrote:
          > >
          > > Hello, I have a website and my son created the pages in
          Dreamweaver.
          > > Usually he is not available to edit them for me. I can do simple
          > > changes myself and upload the revised pages. However, sometimes I
          > > need to do mass edits which take me all day.
          > >
          > > I found the NoteTab software in a search and I would like to know
          > > your opinion -
          > >
          > > 1) if I buy this, will I be able to get it installed and do the
          mass
          > > edits without a long learning curve? I can learn the other
          features
          > > later.
          > >
          > > 2) is this ok to use with pages created in Dreamweaver?
          > >
          > > 3) should I just try the freeware for what I need to do right now?
          > >
          > > Sorry to sound so ignorant - I was actually a mainframe programmer
          > > for 20 years, but never learned pc/web applications! Now I am in a
          > > completely different field and am learning this stuff for my own
          > > website by trial and error.
          > >
          > > Thank you in advance - user groups are the best!
          > >
          > > Maureen

        • loro
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 18, 2007
            sswvfarm1081 wrote:
            >1) if I buy this, will I be able to get it installed and do the mass
            >edits without a long learning curve? I can learn the other features
            >later.

            Sure. In addition to the disk search that Jeff mentioned you can do
            replacements in all open documents. It's also possible to make more
            advanced replacements with the help of the built-in scripting language
            ("CLips"). For example you could search for <!-- FOOTER START --> and
            replace everything from there to <!-- FOOTER END -->. There's a Clip list
            where people would be happy to help you with how to do that.

            BTW, you don't have to buy to try. There's a 30 days trial IIRC. I'd get
            the Pro, not Standard. You can see the differences here.
            http://notetab.com/chart.php

            Lotta
          • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 18, 2007
              Jeff Scism wrote:
              > The freeware verson (NoteTab light) doesn't do mass edits, but both
              > purchased versions do.

              I would not say this is totally accurate. Even if search and replace on
              disk isn't available on the freeware version (I don't have any idea as
              I'm not running a copy), you can still do mass replacements via a clip
              with the freeware version. This is great software if you are willing to
              use it fully and the cost of buying one of the main versions is very
              modest.

              You can see the relative comparison of the three versions here:
              http://notetab.com/chart.php

              You can most definitely work on files created in dreamweaver in notetab.
              I'm not a dreamweaver fan really. I much prefer notetab and seeing my
              html. If you are a mainframe guy, learning a little html won't take you
              long. It is a very simple language for the most part.
            • MotoMania
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 18, 2007
                Hi Maureen,

                I think that you are looking in exactly the right direction for updating
                your html files with NoteTab.

                I also us Dreamweaver some when creating a website or new look for one.
                I only use Dreamweaver to do the initial layout/design and once happy
                with that I switch to NoteTab to do everything by "hand". Most of the
                time I use PHP to break down the layout into sections for easier
                updating of a particular section whether it's a header, footer, menu, etc.

                NoteTab is great and has only gotten better over the years. I highly
                recommend it as an editor, whether it's for html or other things. Being
                able to build and use clips for things is a great plus for programming
                and coding.

                The investment in the Pro version is minimal and well worth every cent
                spent, IM - not so - HO. As was said, feel free to post questions on
                these lists. There are lots of folks who are very knowledgeable and more
                than willing to help.

                Welcome to the NTB family :)

                MotoMania aka Mick
                motomania@...
                Remove SPAM to email me :)

                safely in a pretty and well preserved body -- but rather to skid in
                broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming
                -- WOW, WHAT A RIDE!!" - Author : Unknown

                sswvfarm1081 wrote:

                > Hello, I have a website and my son created the pages in Dreamweaver.
                > Usually he is not available to edit them for me. I can do simple
                > changes myself and upload the revised pages. However, sometimes I
                > need to do mass edits which take me all day.
                >
                > I found the NoteTab software in a search and I would like to know
                > your opinion -
                >
                > 1) if I buy this, will I be able to get it installed and do the mass
                > edits without a long learning curve? I can learn the other features
                > later.
                >
                > 2) is this ok to use with pages created in Dreamweaver?
                >
                > 3) should I just try the freeware for what I need to do right now?
                >
                > Sorry to sound so ignorant - I was actually a mainframe programmer
                > for 20 years, but never learned pc/web applications! Now I am in a
                > completely different field and am learning this stuff for my own
                > website by trial and error.
                >
                > Thank you in advance - user groups are the best!
                >
                > Maureen

              • Corl DeLuna
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 18, 2007
                  Hi Maureen,

                  I switched from HomeSite and Dreamweaver to using NoteTab because It allows
                  me to stay focused on the HTML, rather than the tool. I use the pro version
                  because I work in a networked environment. Plus, NoteTab is so easy to
                  customize any tag you want, which was a advanced pain with any other tool
                  I've worked with. Check out the many clip libraries available for NoteTab
                  http://www.notetab.com/html.php

                  There are a million places to learn HTML, but I got a great crash course at
                  http://www.w3schools.com/html/default.asp

                  There is a NoteTab list just for HTML
                  http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/ntb-html/

                  Best,
                  Corl

                  _____

                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 18, 2007
                    Thank you to everyone - I am using the trial Pro version right now.
                    I'm sure I will buy it shortly. The price is so reasonable -
                    certainly I can afford NoteTab more than my own version of Adobe
                    software.

                    --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "sswvfarm1081" <sswvfarm1081@...>
                    wrote:

                    > Hello, I have a website and my son created the pages in
                    Dreamweaver.
                    > Usually he is not available to edit them for me. I can do simple
                    > changes myself and upload the revised pages. However, sometimes I
                    > need to do mass edits which take me all day.
                    >
                    > I found the NoteTab software in a search and I would like to know
                    > your opinion -
                    >
                    > 1) if I buy this, will I be able to get it installed and do the
                    mass
                    > edits without a long learning curve? I can learn the other
                    features
                    > later.
                    >
                    > 2) is this ok to use with pages created in Dreamweaver?
                    >
                    > 3) should I just try the freeware for what I need to do right now?
                    >
                    > Sorry to sound so ignorant - I was actually a mainframe programmer
                    > for 20 years, but never learned pc/web applications! Now I am in a
                    > completely different field and am learning this stuff for my own
                    > website by trial and error.
                    >
                    > Thank you in advance - user groups are the best!
                    >
                    > Maureen

                  • Bruce Meyers
                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 18, 2007
                      You are hearing from some of the professionals who use NoteTab and they are right. It has a great many valuable features even if you don't use clips. I don't use clips because I don't understand them and have never learned how to create them or even to use some that are in libraries. I am an "advanced beginner" at html - xhtml and css and I find that NoteTab is invaluable in working on web pages. [This makes me a little closer to you in ability than the professionals who have replied.]

                      Some people submit material to me to include in web pages in text files. NoteTab can convert text files to html files (if you are willing to do a little editing afterward) and this feature is ideal for my needs.

                      I strongly urge you to buy either NoteTab Pro or NoteTab Standard (which is what I use) and learn to use some of the wonderful features it has. You cannot go wrong!

[...]

                      Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • S or J
                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 18, 2007
                        Hi Maureen and Jeff:

                        Actually the freeware version 4.95 does do mass edits --
                        just a little differently, but with no difficulty.

                        I use it every month to make several thousand "search and
                        replaces" across a total of 3 or 4 megabytes of open files (typically
                        30 of my website files at a time). I probably could do more files
                        at a time but don't know if NoteTab Light has a memory size
                        limit for such transactions; so I err on the side of caution.

                        First close all open files so only the files we will need will
                        be present for the editing..

                        If you have no idea which files contain the text needing change,
                        Jeff's Ctl+D brings up the search box allowing a search through
                        all the files in a directory, or including sub directories. Make sure
                        the Confirm box is checked, and it will now display all files
                        found matching the criteria. You have the option, thanks to Confirm,
                        as to which files you will leave checked for opening. Click on Open
                        and only the files remaining checked will be opened for editing.

                        (NoteTab Light differs from Jeff's instructions in that the
                        Ctl+D search box contains no replace option. Instead the selected
                        files containing your search criteria are now all open and
                        the Replace option is to be done from another menu.)

                        Under NoteTab Light's Search menu is a Replace function,
                        which you can direct to do search and replace across all open
                        files, with or without confirmation. Works great.

                        As to whether NoteTab Light meets all your other needs will
                        depend on your evaluation of additional features present
                        in the paid versions. They are all terrific programs.

                        regards

                        Steve -- in Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada

                        "Jeff Scism" Scismgenie@... wrote:
                        >The freeware verson (NoteTab light) doesn't do mass edits, but both
                        >purchased versions do.
                        >When you get the Standard or Pro version post on the list and someone
                        >will be able to answer your questions.
                        >The Program does it by directory replacements, youn tell it which
                        >directory to search , give it what to search for and what to replace the
                        >phrase with.
                        >VERY simple, all you have to do is hold down the Ctrl key and tap the
                        >letter D. (Ctrl+D)
                        >Once the directory search box opens you use the edit bar at the top of
                        >the box to switch from search directory to replace in directory.
                        >(I use the 'confirm option' to display which files it will change BEFORE
                        >it changes them, if you leave it unchecked it makes the changes as it
                        >finds the phrase.
                      • Scott Fordin
                        Message 11 of 11 , Feb 18, 2007
                          I'd just like to make two points in addition to the

                          First, I've used Notetab Pro for five years or so, and
                          it has saved me many, many hours in programmatic text
                          processing, HTML, and bulk editing chores. Notetab's
                          clip language is really a marvel, and it is well worth
                          learning at least the basics. As with other people here,
                          I often do my initial design work in Dreamweaver, but do
                          the day-to-day maintenance chores in Notetab Pro.

                          Second, it is hard to overstate the extraordinary
                          levels of peer support available through these mailing
                          lists. You are truly not alone when you're using
                          Notetab, and that's not something you can say about a
                          lot of software.

                          Go ahead, buy it! It's a bargain!

                          Scott