RE: [NTB] Re: Note Tab Light failed to replace notepad

  • Corl DeLuna
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 14, 2007
      Hi Alasdair,

      I'd use Steve's method before using the ReplaceNotepad clip I sent you
      earlier.

      Great to know that simple still works on XP.

      Best,
      Corl

      _____

      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 15, 2007
        Dear Steve:

        Thanks for that. It's an advance.

        I was worried that any Excel or Word .txt files would now open in NoteTab but that doesn't happen. If you click on a .txt file in, say, Windows Explorer, however, it does open in NoteTab.

        However it hasn't altered the problem I'm having: when you click View Source on a web page it opens in Notepad. Which is a problem when you're working on a lot of files in your own website.

        Incidentally, I can, and am, copying the files that open that way in Notepad into NoteTab to work on them. It's a great application and I have recommend it to countless people. It's just my desire not to let Microsoft beat me that keeps me looking for a solution.

        I will try Corl's clip idea next, but probably at the weekend when I have more time!.

        Thanks to everyone for such kind help.

        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 15, 2007
          Check the settings in your browser. You should be able to designate the
          program used to edit/view source.

          John

          Alasdair Buchan - UKnewsletters.co.uk wrote:

          > Dear Steve:
          >
          > Thanks for that. It's an advance.
          >
          > I was worried that any Excel or Word .txt files would now open in
          > NoteTab but that doesn't happen. If you click on a .txt file in, say,
          > Windows Explorer, however, it does open in NoteTab.
          >
          > However it hasn't altered the problem I'm having: when you click View
          > Source on a web page it opens in Notepad. Which is a problem when
          > you're working on a lot of files in your own website.
          >
          > Incidentally, I can, and am, copying the files that open that way in
          > Notepad into NoteTab to work on them. It's a great application and I
          > have recommend it to countless people. It's just my desire not to let
          > Microsoft beat me that keeps me looking for a solution.
          >
          > I will try Corl's clip idea next, but probably at the weekend when I
          > have more time!.
          >
          > Thanks to everyone for such kind help.
          >
          > Alasdair

        • S or J
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 15, 2007
            Alasdair wrote:
            > However it hasn't altered the problem I'm having: when you click View
            > Source
            > on a web page it opens in Notepad. Which is a problem when you're working
            > on a lot of files in your own website.

            Hi Alasdair,

            Now I understand what you are doing, but personally prefer another method
            of file management for retaining and updating files for my website;
            editing is never done directly on a file in the actual website.

            All work files for my site are retained in a particular directory on my C
            drive,
            and are opened there for adding or editing content -- with NoteTab of
            course.

            Updated text files need no other view normally as what you see is what you
            get
            if that same text file is opened in a browser. I do however use hard returns
            on every website text file's line to ensure it will appear correctly on any
            browser,
            and will print correctly on any printer using 10 point text and 8.5 x 11
            paper.
            Such adds to the work but ensures uniformity of on-line results.

            Updated html or htm files are edited in NoteTab and I use the NoteTab
            off-line browser view to do a final check on their appearance.

            Naturally each file edited since the last ftp upload to my site has a more
            recent
            date. On the day I update my site, only these changed files are copied to a
            new
            dated directory on the C drive, and copies of this directory's files are
            uploaded
            to the website host (usually on the first day of the month, but sooner if
            necessary). Hence I have an ongoing record of how every file looked on
            every day it was ever uploaded.

            A separate external hard drive holds a copy of the first master directory
            (such backup done routinely after any significant amount of work on these
            files) and receives a copy of the complete new directory containing
            the files being uploaded on any particular date.

            Every file uploaded is afterwards checked via the on-line browser
            to make sure nothing went wrong on route.

            Consequently a recent/current copy of every file appears in two directories
            on my C drive (protecting against minor drive anomalies) and two copies
            on my external hard drive and one on the host website. Once in a while
            a copy of all current and past files are burned to a CD.

            Perhaps overly cautious? But I have experienced several instances over
            the years of complete C drive failure, mother board failure, power supply,
            etc that could have otherwise caused loss of an immense amount of work
            (including hundreds of reference files for my own use that are not part
            of the metal website).

            FWIW

            Steve -- in Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada
            Machining and Metalworking at Home
            http://www.janellestudio.com/metal/
          • loro
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 15, 2007
              Alasdair Buchan wrote:
              >However it hasn't altered the problem I'm having: when you click View
              >Source on a web page it opens in Notepad

              The easy way out. :-)
              <http://www.iconico.com/viewSourceEditor/>

              Lotta
            • Alasdair Buchan - UKnewsletters.co.uk
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 16, 2007
                And that, friends, is that.

                This worked. Simple and effective.

                Many, many thanks to Lotta and evertyone else for the input.

                Cheers

                Alasdair