Re: Note Tab Light failed to replace notepad

  • alasdairbuchan
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 14, 2007
      Thanks to everyone who ahs responded and I have tried each solution.

      But without success, I'm afraid.

      As suggetsed, I renamed the notepad.exe application in dllcache but
      the problem then, as indeed is the problem for the other solutions
      offered, is that when I go back to Note Tab Light the menu in Help
      still has Replace Ms Notepad avilable and Restore MS Notepad greyed
      out.

      Naturally I have tried the Replace Ms Notepad function again and am
      getting the Note Tab dialog box telling me how to avoid the Windows
      warning boxes that will appear. But so far those Windows boxes haven't
      surfaced.

      The Freeware version I downloaded is v.4.95. I see a 5.1. version ahs
      been mentioned . Does anyone know how I can find that?

      Thanks in the meantime.

      Alasdair

      --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "alasdairbuchan" <alasdair@...> wrote:

      > I've tried the Replace MS Notepad button on help in Note Tab Light
      but
      > it doesn't replace, at least when I try View Source on a web page.
      I'm
      > using Outlook Explorere in Windows XP.
      >
      > I tried the internet>tools>option route to replace the HTML editor
      > there but - surprise - it only offers MS alternatives of Word,
      > Notepad,Excel etc.
      >
      > I'd be happy to pay for a Note Tab upgrade if somebody says that's
      the
      > way to go and can assure me that it will work.
      >
      > Thanks for any help.

    • S or J
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 14, 2007
        Hi Alasdair,

        I have been using NoteTab Light for several years on XP,
        and have easily made it the default text editor without
        using menu choices in NoteTab or messing with dlls and
        XP's protective antics.

        Simply
        click on XP's "My Computer"
        go to the "Tools" menu
        and select "Folder Options"
        then select "File Types"
        scroll down and select the TXT line which currently shows Notepad
        (make sure the box on this menu is checked to always use
        this program -- which will be NoteTab shortly)
        click on the "Change..." button
        and use the "Browse" button to find and select the NoteTab.exe
        file which is normally located in the directory
        C:\Program Files\Notetab Light
        Click "Open" and "OK" your way back out.

        Now NoteTab Light will always automatically open any .txt file you
        double-click on.

        While this may seem a bit more complicated than using a NoteTab
        menu item, it has three very positive advantages:

        1. It works every time.
        2. Notepad is still available on the machine if you have a simple text task
        3. You have learned how to change which programs open which file types
        (which can be handy if you install some other program that has a nasty
        install process that seizes control of opening more file types that you
        want it to -- particularly common with music players or photo programs).

        regards

        Steve -- Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada
        who has enjoyed using NoteTab Light to keep all his reference
        text files (hundreds) current, and code with XML for a private website
        Machining and Metalworking at Home
        http://www.janellestudio.com/metal/
      • Corl DeLuna
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 14, 2007
          Hi Alasdair,

          I'd use Steve's method before using the ReplaceNotepad clip I sent you
          earlier.

          Great to know that simple still works on XP.

          Best,
          Corl

          _____

[...]

          http://www.janelles <http://www.janellestudio.com/metal/> tudio.com/metal/

        • Alasdair Buchan - UKnewsletters.co.uk
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 15, 2007
            Dear Steve:

            Thanks for that. It's an advance.

            I was worried that any Excel or Word .txt files would now open in NoteTab but that doesn't happen. If you click on a .txt file in, say, Windows Explorer, however, it does open in NoteTab.

            However it hasn't altered the problem I'm having: when you click View Source on a web page it opens in Notepad. Which is a problem when you're working on a lot of files in your own website.

            Incidentally, I can, and am, copying the files that open that way in Notepad into NoteTab to work on them. It's a great application and I have recommend it to countless people. It's just my desire not to let Microsoft beat me that keeps me looking for a solution.

            I will try Corl's clip idea next, but probably at the weekend when I have more time!.

            Thanks to everyone for such kind help.

            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 15, 2007
              Check the settings in your browser. You should be able to designate the
              program used to edit/view source.

              John

              Alasdair Buchan - UKnewsletters.co.uk wrote:

              > Dear Steve:
              >
              > Thanks for that. It's an advance.
              >
              > I was worried that any Excel or Word .txt files would now open in
              > NoteTab but that doesn't happen. If you click on a .txt file in, say,
              > Windows Explorer, however, it does open in NoteTab.
              >
              > However it hasn't altered the problem I'm having: when you click View
              > Source on a web page it opens in Notepad. Which is a problem when
              > you're working on a lot of files in your own website.
              >
              > Incidentally, I can, and am, copying the files that open that way in
              > Notepad into NoteTab to work on them. It's a great application and I
              > have recommend it to countless people. It's just my desire not to let
              > Microsoft beat me that keeps me looking for a solution.
              >
              > I will try Corl's clip idea next, but probably at the weekend when I
              > have more time!.
              >
              > Thanks to everyone for such kind help.
              >
              > Alasdair

            • S or J
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 15, 2007
                Alasdair wrote:
                > However it hasn't altered the problem I'm having: when you click View
                > Source
                > on a web page it opens in Notepad. Which is a problem when you're working
                > on a lot of files in your own website.

                Hi Alasdair,

                Now I understand what you are doing, but personally prefer another method
                of file management for retaining and updating files for my website;
                editing is never done directly on a file in the actual website.

                All work files for my site are retained in a particular directory on my C
                drive,
                and are opened there for adding or editing content -- with NoteTab of
                course.

                Updated text files need no other view normally as what you see is what you
                get
                if that same text file is opened in a browser. I do however use hard returns
                on every website text file's line to ensure it will appear correctly on any
                browser,
                and will print correctly on any printer using 10 point text and 8.5 x 11
                paper.
                Such adds to the work but ensures uniformity of on-line results.

                Updated html or htm files are edited in NoteTab and I use the NoteTab
                off-line browser view to do a final check on their appearance.

                Naturally each file edited since the last ftp upload to my site has a more
                recent
                date. On the day I update my site, only these changed files are copied to a
                new
                dated directory on the C drive, and copies of this directory's files are
                uploaded
                to the website host (usually on the first day of the month, but sooner if
                necessary). Hence I have an ongoing record of how every file looked on
                every day it was ever uploaded.

                A separate external hard drive holds a copy of the first master directory
                (such backup done routinely after any significant amount of work on these
                files) and receives a copy of the complete new directory containing
                the files being uploaded on any particular date.

                Every file uploaded is afterwards checked via the on-line browser
                to make sure nothing went wrong on route.

                Consequently a recent/current copy of every file appears in two directories
                on my C drive (protecting against minor drive anomalies) and two copies
                on my external hard drive and one on the host website. Once in a while
                a copy of all current and past files are burned to a CD.

                Perhaps overly cautious? But I have experienced several instances over
                the years of complete C drive failure, mother board failure, power supply,
                etc that could have otherwise caused loss of an immense amount of work
                (including hundreds of reference files for my own use that are not part
                of the metal website).

                FWIW

                Steve -- in Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada
                Machining and Metalworking at Home
                http://www.janellestudio.com/metal/
              • loro
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 15, 2007
                  Alasdair Buchan wrote:
                  >However it hasn't altered the problem I'm having: when you click View
                  >Source on a web page it opens in Notepad

                  The easy way out. :-)
                  <http://www.iconico.com/viewSourceEditor/>

                  Lotta
                • Alasdair Buchan - UKnewsletters.co.uk
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 16, 2007
                    And that, friends, is that.

                    This worked. Simple and effective.

                    Many, many thanks to Lotta and evertyone else for the input.

                    Cheers

                    Alasdair