RE: [NTB] Note Tab Light failed to replace notepad

  • Corl DeLuna
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 13, 2007
      My XP Home system shows NoteTab as NOTEPAD when I right click > open with...
      I've also see it listed as NotePad Dummy.

      Jody gave me a clip years ago when I experienced the problem you describe in
      NTP 4.95. I haven't had to use it with 5.1 at all. Email me If you want me
      to send it as a zip attachment.

      Best,
      Corl

      PS I love 4.95, but 5.1 allows me to work in networked environments, so the
      latest version is a must for me.

      _____

      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 13, 2007
        alasdairbuchan wrote:
        > I've tried the Replace MS Notepad button on help in Note Tab
        > Light but it doesn't replace, at least when I try View
        > Source on a web page. I'm using Outlook Explorere in Windows
        > XP.

        > I tried the internet>tools>option route to replace the HTML
        > editor there but - surprise - it only offers MS alternatives
        > of Word, Notepad,Excel etc.

        > I'd be happy to pay for a Note Tab upgrade if somebody says
        > that's the way to go and can assure me that it will work.

        > Thanks for any help.

        alas...,

        I haven't ever used NoteTab Light but, in both Pro and Std, if you click
        on 'Help', 2 of the choices are 'Replace MS Notepad and Restore MS Notepad'.

        Click on the Replace choice and that should start a cause a Windows
        pop-up to appear warning you of dire consequences if you replace the
        selected file. Click to continue, don't recall the exact wording, and
        if everything works out correctly MS Notepad will be replaced by a
        NoteTab stub program named Notepad.exe, whenever clicking a file or
        other choice, hopefully, NoteTab will run instead of MS Notepad.

        ºvº SL-2-102
        2007.02.13 - 15.54.11

        Newspaper HeadLine...
        "Man Minus Ear Waives Hearing"

        ¤ hrs ø hsavage@...
      • alasdairbuchan
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 14, 2007
          Thanks to everyone who ahs responded and I have tried each solution.

          But without success, I'm afraid.

          As suggetsed, I renamed the notepad.exe application in dllcache but
          the problem then, as indeed is the problem for the other solutions
          offered, is that when I go back to Note Tab Light the menu in Help
          still has Replace Ms Notepad avilable and Restore MS Notepad greyed
          out.

          Naturally I have tried the Replace Ms Notepad function again and am
          getting the Note Tab dialog box telling me how to avoid the Windows
          warning boxes that will appear. But so far those Windows boxes haven't
          surfaced.

          The Freeware version I downloaded is v.4.95. I see a 5.1. version ahs
          been mentioned . Does anyone know how I can find that?

          Thanks in the meantime.

          Alasdair

          --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "alasdairbuchan" <alasdair@...> wrote:

          > I've tried the Replace MS Notepad button on help in Note Tab Light
          but
          > it doesn't replace, at least when I try View Source on a web page.
          I'm
          > using Outlook Explorere in Windows XP.
          >
          > I tried the internet>tools>option route to replace the HTML editor
          > there but - surprise - it only offers MS alternatives of Word,
          > Notepad,Excel etc.
          >
          > I'd be happy to pay for a Note Tab upgrade if somebody says that's
          the
          > way to go and can assure me that it will work.
          >
          > Thanks for any help.

        • S or J
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 14, 2007
            Hi Alasdair,

            I have been using NoteTab Light for several years on XP,
            and have easily made it the default text editor without
            using menu choices in NoteTab or messing with dlls and
            XP's protective antics.

            Simply
            click on XP's "My Computer"
            go to the "Tools" menu
            and select "Folder Options"
            then select "File Types"
            scroll down and select the TXT line which currently shows Notepad
            (make sure the box on this menu is checked to always use
            this program -- which will be NoteTab shortly)
            click on the "Change..." button
            and use the "Browse" button to find and select the NoteTab.exe
            file which is normally located in the directory
            C:\Program Files\Notetab Light
            Click "Open" and "OK" your way back out.

            Now NoteTab Light will always automatically open any .txt file you
            double-click on.

            While this may seem a bit more complicated than using a NoteTab
            menu item, it has three very positive advantages:

            1. It works every time.
            2. Notepad is still available on the machine if you have a simple text task
            3. You have learned how to change which programs open which file types
            (which can be handy if you install some other program that has a nasty
            install process that seizes control of opening more file types that you
            want it to -- particularly common with music players or photo programs).

            regards

            Steve -- Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada
            who has enjoyed using NoteTab Light to keep all his reference
            text files (hundreds) current, and code with XML for a private website
            Machining and Metalworking at Home
            http://www.janellestudio.com/metal/
          • Corl DeLuna
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 14, 2007
              Hi Alasdair,

              I'd use Steve's method before using the ReplaceNotepad clip I sent you
              earlier.

              Great to know that simple still works on XP.

              Best,
              Corl

              _____

[...]

              http://www.janelles <http://www.janellestudio.com/metal/> tudio.com/metal/

            • Alasdair Buchan - UKnewsletters.co.uk
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 15, 2007
                Dear Steve:

                Thanks for that. It's an advance.

                I was worried that any Excel or Word .txt files would now open in NoteTab but that doesn't happen. If you click on a .txt file in, say, Windows Explorer, however, it does open in NoteTab.

                However it hasn't altered the problem I'm having: when you click View Source on a web page it opens in Notepad. Which is a problem when you're working on a lot of files in your own website.

                Incidentally, I can, and am, copying the files that open that way in Notepad into NoteTab to work on them. It's a great application and I have recommend it to countless people. It's just my desire not to let Microsoft beat me that keeps me looking for a solution.

                I will try Corl's clip idea next, but probably at the weekend when I have more time!.

                Thanks to everyone for such kind help.

                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 15, 2007
                  Check the settings in your browser. You should be able to designate the
                  program used to edit/view source.

                  John

                  Alasdair Buchan - UKnewsletters.co.uk wrote:

                  > Dear Steve:
                  >
                  > Thanks for that. It's an advance.
                  >
                  > I was worried that any Excel or Word .txt files would now open in
                  > NoteTab but that doesn't happen. If you click on a .txt file in, say,
                  > Windows Explorer, however, it does open in NoteTab.
                  >
                  > However it hasn't altered the problem I'm having: when you click View
                  > Source on a web page it opens in Notepad. Which is a problem when
                  > you're working on a lot of files in your own website.
                  >
                  > Incidentally, I can, and am, copying the files that open that way in
                  > Notepad into NoteTab to work on them. It's a great application and I
                  > have recommend it to countless people. It's just my desire not to let
                  > Microsoft beat me that keeps me looking for a solution.
                  >
                  > I will try Corl's clip idea next, but probably at the weekend when I
                  > have more time!.
                  >
                  > Thanks to everyone for such kind help.
                  >
                  > Alasdair

                • S or J
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 15, 2007
                    Alasdair wrote:
                    > However it hasn't altered the problem I'm having: when you click View
                    > Source
                    > on a web page it opens in Notepad. Which is a problem when you're working
                    > on a lot of files in your own website.

                    Hi Alasdair,

                    Now I understand what you are doing, but personally prefer another method
                    of file management for retaining and updating files for my website;
                    editing is never done directly on a file in the actual website.

                    All work files for my site are retained in a particular directory on my C
                    drive,
                    and are opened there for adding or editing content -- with NoteTab of
                    course.

                    Updated text files need no other view normally as what you see is what you
                    get
                    if that same text file is opened in a browser. I do however use hard returns
                    on every website text file's line to ensure it will appear correctly on any
                    browser,
                    and will print correctly on any printer using 10 point text and 8.5 x 11
                    paper.
                    Such adds to the work but ensures uniformity of on-line results.

                    Updated html or htm files are edited in NoteTab and I use the NoteTab
                    off-line browser view to do a final check on their appearance.

                    Naturally each file edited since the last ftp upload to my site has a more
                    recent
                    date. On the day I update my site, only these changed files are copied to a
                    new
                    dated directory on the C drive, and copies of this directory's files are
                    uploaded
                    to the website host (usually on the first day of the month, but sooner if
                    necessary). Hence I have an ongoing record of how every file looked on
                    every day it was ever uploaded.

                    A separate external hard drive holds a copy of the first master directory
                    (such backup done routinely after any significant amount of work on these
                    files) and receives a copy of the complete new directory containing
                    the files being uploaded on any particular date.

                    Every file uploaded is afterwards checked via the on-line browser
                    to make sure nothing went wrong on route.

                    Consequently a recent/current copy of every file appears in two directories
                    on my C drive (protecting against minor drive anomalies) and two copies
                    on my external hard drive and one on the host website. Once in a while
                    a copy of all current and past files are burned to a CD.

                    Perhaps overly cautious? But I have experienced several instances over
                    the years of complete C drive failure, mother board failure, power supply,
                    etc that could have otherwise caused loss of an immense amount of work
                    (including hundreds of reference files for my own use that are not part
                    of the metal website).

                    FWIW

                    Steve -- in Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada
                    Machining and Metalworking at Home
                    http://www.janellestudio.com/metal/
                  • loro
                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 15, 2007
                      Alasdair Buchan wrote:
                      >However it hasn't altered the problem I'm having: when you click View
                      >Source on a web page it opens in Notepad

                      The easy way out. :-)
                      <http://www.iconico.com/viewSourceEditor/>

                      Lotta
                    • Alasdair Buchan - UKnewsletters.co.uk
                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 16, 2007
                        And that, friends, is that.

                        This worked. Simple and effective.

                        Many, many thanks to Lotta and evertyone else for the input.

                        Cheers

                        Alasdair