Re: [NTB] Still trying to set margins

  • Brian Mailman
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 3, 2007
      N. M. Wallace wrote:
      > ...Is there any way I can get some white space on the right and still
      > keep my nicely wrapped text?

      Document > Word Wrap or Ctrl-W if I'm understanding you.

      B/
    • Corl DeLuna
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 3, 2007
        Try View > Options > Documents: Wrap to Column

        Hope that is what you are looking for.

        Best,
        Corl

        _____

        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 3, 2007
          Unfortunately, the Wrap to Column option gives me the hard paragraph
          breaks at the end of each line, which I have to manually remove if
          I'm, say, cutting and pasting into a LiveJournal comment field. What I
          want is for it to wrap the entire paragraph without breaking at the
          end of the line, only doing it at the column setting.

          --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Corl DeLuna" <corl@...> wrote:

          > Try View > Options > Documents: Wrap to Column
          >
          > Hope that is what you are looking for.
          >
          > Best,
          > Corl
          >
          > _____

          Behalf Of
          > N. M. Wallace
          > Sent: Saturday, February 03, 2007 7:06 PM
          > To: notetab@yahoogroups.com
          > Subject: [NTB] Still trying to set margins
          >

          > Hi there,
          >
          > I've been using NoteTab for years, but I only recently upgraded to Std
          > from Lite. I've run into an issue that's become increasingly
          > frustrating, and I'm hoping someone here can help.
          >
          > What I want to do is wrap text so that I effectively have a right
          > margin, to make it easier for me to read. I've tried using wrap to
          > column,but if I do that and then update column wrap, I get a hard
          > break at the end of each line that doesn't go away even if I join
          > lines. Is there any way I can get some white space on the right and
          > still keep my nicely wrapped text?
          >
          > Thanks for any suggestions!

        • Dave
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 3, 2007
            Hi
            go to options untick wrap to column and wordwrap.
            If you start a text file and click on "document/wordwrap" ,do your typing it
            will wrap of course, do ten lines say do not save it ,control+a control+c go
            to desktop open a new text file in notepad when you paste it wont be wrapped
            ,is this what you want.
            THANKYOU DAVE M

            > Unfortunately, the Wrap to Column option gives me the hard paragraph
            > breaks at the end of each line, which I have to manually remove if
            > I'm, say, cutting and pasting into a LiveJournal comment field. What I
            > want is for it to wrap the entire paragraph without breaking at the
            > end of the line, only doing it at the column setting.
            >

            > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Corl DeLuna" <corl@...> wrote:
            >>
            >> Try View > Options > Documents: Wrap to Column
            >>
            >> Hope that is what you are looking for.
            >>
            >> Best,
            >> Corl
            >>
            >> _____

          • hsavage
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 3, 2007
              N. M. Wallace wrote:
              > Hi there,
              >
              > I've been using NoteTab for years, but I only recently upgraded
              to Std
              > from Lite. I've run into an issue that's become increasingly
              > frustrating, and I'm hoping someone here can help.
              >
              > What I want to do is wrap text so that I effectively have a right
              > margin, to make it easier for me to read. I've tried using wrap to
              > column,but if I do that and then update column wrap, I get a hard
              > break at the end of each line that doesn't go away even if I join
              > lines. Is there any way I can get some white space on the right and
              > still keep my nicely wrapped text?
              >
              > Thanks for any suggestions!

              N. M.,

              If it isn't already there you could add the 'Justify Align' dialog icon to
              the toolbar. Or, you could use the keystroke 'Ctrl+Shift+M' to open
              the 'Reformat Lines' dialog window. From there you can, on pre-
              selected text, adjust the left and right margins and justify the
              right margin.

              ºvº SL-2-9
              2007.02.03 - 16.40.53

              Great Truth About Growing Old:
              "Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get."

              ¤ hrs ø hsavage@...
            • N. M. Wallace
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 3, 2007
                --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, hsavage <hsavage@...> wrote:

                > If it isn't already there you could add the 'Justify Align' dialog
                icon to
                > the toolbar. Or, you could use the keystroke 'Ctrl+Shift+M' to open
                > the 'Reformat Lines' dialog window. From there you can, on pre-
                > selected text, adjust the left and right margins and justify the
                > right margin.

                Thanks! That did part of what I wanted--it does give me the right
                margin I was looking for. Unfortunately, it's also still giving me
                line breaks at the end of each line. Since I use NTS to compose things
                like LJ comments before posting, this doesn't work.

                I'm getting frustrated because it seems like setting viewing margins
                should be relatively easy, but I guess not. *sigh*
              • loro
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 4, 2007
                  N. M. Wallace wrote:
                  >Thanks! That did part of what I wanted--it does give me the right
                  >margin I was looking for. Unfortunately, it's also still giving me
                  >line breaks at the end of each line. Since I use NTS to compose things
                  >like LJ comments before posting, this doesn't work.

                  I don't know what the problem might be. Join Lines does remove the line
                  breaks, both in Standard and Light, when you use Wrap to Column. I just
                  tried. If I understand you right that works as it should in your Light but
                  not in your Standard? Pro never inserts the hard line breaks, the wrapping
                  is all virtual there, but of course that doesn't solve your problem.

                  Lotta
                • N. M. Wallace
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 4, 2007
                    --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, loro <loro-spam01-@...> wrote:

                    > N. M. Wallace wrote:
                    > >Thanks! That did part of what I wanted--it does give me the right
                    > >margin I was looking for. Unfortunately, it's also still giving me
                    > >line breaks at the end of each line. Since I use NTS to compose things
                    > >like LJ comments before posting, this doesn't work.
                    >
                    > I don't know what the problem might be. Join Lines does remove the line
                    > breaks, both in Standard and Light, when you use Wrap to Column. I just
                    > tried. If I understand you right that works as it should in your
                    Light but
                    > not in your Standard? Pro never inserts the hard line breaks, the
                    wrapping
                    > is all virtual there, but of course that doesn't solve your problem.

                    Maybe I'm doing it wrong. What I did was:

                    1. Pasted the block of text into a new document with Word Wrap.

                    2. Went into Document > Properties and set it to wrap to column at
                    186. At this point, it rewrapped, but the hard breaks were at the end
                    of each line.

                    3. Went to Modify > Lines > Join Lines. I got a single continuous line
                    with no wrapping.

                    4. Saved the document.

                    5. Reopened. The text was wrapped, but the hard breaks were also at
                    the end of each line.

                    6. Joined lines again.

                    7. Tried Reformat Lines command. Still getting hard breaks.

                    I guess at this point, my only options are to shrink the window, or to
                    switch to another application--which is too bad, because I like
                    everything about NTS except for this problem. Unfortunately, it makes
                    it hard to read and edit my writing.
                  • loro
                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 4, 2007
                      N. M. Wallace wrote:
                      >6. Joined lines again.
                      >
                      >4. Saved the document.
                      >
                      >5. Reopened. The text was wrapped, but the hard breaks were also at
                      >the end of each line.

                      OK. What I thought you did, and what works without catching the hard line
                      breaks, is to copy the text directly after you have used Join Lines. Then
                      the text can be pasted into another application or into another document in
                      Notetab without line breaks.

                      If you want to save the document without the line breaks I think you have
                      to first Join Lines and then uncheck Wrap To Column in Document Properties.

                      I hope I got that right. I don't use Standard normally and as said pro
                      doesn't behave like this.
                      Lotta