STILL attempting to clear up Code

  • gane423
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 21, 2007
      Validator site says there are 19 errors, and quite frankly, I can't
      find them: for example, in a couple places it says a < is missing, but
      there is a < already there, another place it says I cant use
      BLOCKQUOTE, and in another place it seems to be saying I cant use gold
      as a text color...

      Latest attempt to clean things up has resulted in lines on homepage
      being in a somewhat zigzag position.

      Could someone take look at my site & see what they could find?

      http://gpayne2.home.mindspring.com/index.html
    • loro
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 22, 2007
        gane423 wrote:
        >Validator site says there are 19 errors, and quite frankly, I can't
        >find them: for example, in a couple places it says a < is missing, but
        >there is a < already there,

        Tag refers to the whole thing. Start tag: <font>, end tag: </font>. Yeah,
        it's there, but it's in the wrong place, not where the validator expects it
        to be. It's a case of what's called improper nesting.

        The first error is for this line.
        <http://www.htmlhelp.com/cgi-bin/validate.cgi?url=http%3A//gpayne2.home.mindspring.com/index.html&warnings=yes&input=yes#L16>
        color="#000000">CLICK HERE</a>  TO SEE SITE UPDATES TO JAN. 16,
        2007</font>

        FONT is contained in A, so you must close FONT before you close A. Yours
        are overlapping. Try not to think about in what order "tags" come, rather
        think about the whole elements (start tag - content - end tag) as a
        containers. One element can be contained another one. Like Chinese boxes,
        one inside the other, or circles within circles. Then it becomes obvious
        where you should put the tags.

        > another place it says I cant use
        >BLOCKQUOTE,

        You declare XHTML which, unlike HTML, is case sensitive. All element and
        attribute names must be lower case. Or just use HTML.
        http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/#diffs

        >and in another place it seems to be saying I cant use gold
        >as a text color...

        There are only 16 named colors that are defined in the spec. For the rest
        you have to use hex.
        http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/types.html#type-color

        Jody don't want us to talk about HTML on the basic list. If you want more
        help, please ask on the HTML list and we'll help you sort it out. :-)
        <mailto:ntb-HTML-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com>

        Lotta