Re: [NTB] Simple character insertion

  • Ben B
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 20, 2007
      On 2007-01-20 09:27:37 bruce.somers wrote regarding; "[NTB] Simple character insertion"

      > With Search/Replace, one can replace any string present in the
      > records/lines of a file, with a NULL-string, and thus with 'nothing'.
      >
      > But I don't see how to insert a certain character or string at the
      > start of each record/line. Replace and Replace all remain grayed-out
      > if nothing is entered under Find what: , no matter what is entered
      > under Replace with: .

      In the Find and Replace dialog (CTRL+R) tick the Regular Exp. box.
      The caption of the Find What field will change to Reg. Expr.

      Enter a ^ in the Reg. Expr. field and the string you want to add in
      the Replace With field.

      (With regular expressions, the ^ (caret) used outside of a character
      class represents the beginning of a line.)

      HTH
      Ben
    • bruce.somers@web.de
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 20, 2007
        Thanks Lotta, Ben and hsavage. Those tips will solve my present problem admirably.

        Bruce