Re: [NTB] Simple character insertion

  • hsavage
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 20, 2007
      bruce.somers@... wrote:
      > With Search/Replace, one can replace any string present in the
      records/lines of a file, with a NULL-string, and thus with 'nothing'.

      > But I don't see how to insert a certain character or string at the
      start of each record/line. Replace and Replace all remain grayed-out if
      nothing is entered under Find what: , no matter what is entered under
      Replace with: .

      > I tried Modify/Lines/Insert bullets but nothing happened.
      >
      > Can anyone help?
      >
      > Bruce

      Bruce,

      • If using Find/Replace the simplest way I can think of is paste the
      'Find text' into 'Find and Replace' both, then insert the additional
      character/s at the start of the Replace text. Or, if you know regex,
      that shouldn't be too hard.

      When using Modify/Lines/Insert Bullets the function will only work on
      the line the cursor is on if there is something on that line. Otherwise,
      you can preselect the text you want bulleted then perform 'Insert bullets'.

      ºvº
      2007.01.20 - 13.25.15
      Great Truth About Growing Old
      "It's frustrating when you know all the answers
      but nobody bothers to ask you the questions."
      hrs ø hsavage@...
    • Ben B
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 20, 2007
        On 2007-01-20 09:27:37 bruce.somers wrote regarding; "[NTB] Simple character insertion"

        > With Search/Replace, one can replace any string present in the
        > records/lines of a file, with a NULL-string, and thus with 'nothing'.
        >
        > But I don't see how to insert a certain character or string at the
        > start of each record/line. Replace and Replace all remain grayed-out
        > if nothing is entered under Find what: , no matter what is entered
        > under Replace with: .

        In the Find and Replace dialog (CTRL+R) tick the Regular Exp. box.
        The caption of the Find What field will change to Reg. Expr.

        Enter a ^ in the Reg. Expr. field and the string you want to add in
        the Replace With field.

        (With regular expressions, the ^ (caret) used outside of a character
        class represents the beginning of a line.)

        HTH
        Ben
      • bruce.somers@web.de
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 20, 2007
          Thanks Lotta, Ben and hsavage. Those tips will solve my present problem admirably.

          Bruce