Simple character insertion

  • bruce.somers@web.de
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 20, 2007
      With Search/Replace, one can replace any string present in the records/lines of a file, with a NULL-string, and thus with 'nothing'.

      But I don't see how to insert a certain character or string at the start of each record/line. Replace and Replace all remain grayed-out if nothing is entered under Find what: , no matter what is entered under Replace with: .

      I tried Modify/Lines/Insert bullets but nothing happened.

      Can anyone help?

      Bruce
    • loro
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 20, 2007
        bruce.somers@... wrote:
        >With Search/Replace, one can replace any string present in the
        >records/lines of a file, with a NULL-string, and thus with 'nothing'.
        >
        >But I don't see how to insert a certain character or string at the start
        >of each record/line. Replace and Replace all remain grayed-out if
        >nothing is entered under Find what: , no matter what is entered under
        >Replace with: .
        >
        >I tried Modify/Lines/Insert bullets but nothing happened.

        Do I understand it right that you want a character inserted first thing in
        each line? In that case search for line break and replace it with line
        break + the character you want, say "X".

        Find: ^p Replace with: ^pX

        If you don't want the characters inserted where there are blank lines, I
        think it needs a clip.

        Lotta
      • hsavage
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 20, 2007
          bruce.somers@... wrote:
          > With Search/Replace, one can replace any string present in the
          records/lines of a file, with a NULL-string, and thus with 'nothing'.

          > But I don't see how to insert a certain character or string at the
          start of each record/line. Replace and Replace all remain grayed-out if
          nothing is entered under Find what: , no matter what is entered under
          Replace with: .

          > I tried Modify/Lines/Insert bullets but nothing happened.
          >
          > Can anyone help?
          >
          > Bruce

          Bruce,

          • If using Find/Replace the simplest way I can think of is paste the
          'Find text' into 'Find and Replace' both, then insert the additional
          character/s at the start of the Replace text. Or, if you know regex,
          that shouldn't be too hard.

          When using Modify/Lines/Insert Bullets the function will only work on
          the line the cursor is on if there is something on that line. Otherwise,
          you can preselect the text you want bulleted then perform 'Insert bullets'.

          ºvº
          2007.01.20 - 13.25.15
          Great Truth About Growing Old
          "It's frustrating when you know all the answers
          but nobody bothers to ask you the questions."
          hrs ø hsavage@...
        • Ben B
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 20, 2007
            On 2007-01-20 09:27:37 bruce.somers wrote regarding; "[NTB] Simple character insertion"

            > With Search/Replace, one can replace any string present in the
            > records/lines of a file, with a NULL-string, and thus with 'nothing'.
            >
            > But I don't see how to insert a certain character or string at the
            > start of each record/line. Replace and Replace all remain grayed-out
            > if nothing is entered under Find what: , no matter what is entered
            > under Replace with: .

            In the Find and Replace dialog (CTRL+R) tick the Regular Exp. box.
            The caption of the Find What field will change to Reg. Expr.

            Enter a ^ in the Reg. Expr. field and the string you want to add in
            the Replace With field.

            (With regular expressions, the ^ (caret) used outside of a character
            class represents the beginning of a line.)

            HTH
            Ben
          • bruce.somers@web.de
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 20, 2007
              Thanks Lotta, Ben and hsavage. Those tips will solve my present problem admirably.

              Bruce