Re: [NTB] Select Text --> Ctrl-J ---> Ctrl-Shift-J Behavior in 5.1

  • buralex@gmail.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 18, 2007
      Hi Richard:
      > As you can see Ver 5.1 has decided to indent all lines subsequent to
      > the first by one column. This is a serious bug! In fact, I had to
      > revert to 4.95 almost immediately. I use the sequence
      > 1) select text
      > 2) single space selected text
      > 3) join lines
      > 4) split lines
      > to format paragraphs in my newsletter. The 1-column indent makes this
      > sequence useless.
      >
      > Perhaps somebody in this group can suggest to me what I ought to do to
      > overcome the bug.
      I've seen that too - not sure how it slipped through the beta-testing
      cycle :-(
      Interestingly, I notice it works fine with lines that start with a number.
      I don't recall ever seeing an option that makes the "hanging paragraph"
      controllable.

      There is a work-around but it requires using a clip. Its a one line
      regex so (begging Jody's forbearance) I'll post it here rather than
      forcing this discussion to the clips list.

      ^!replace "^ " >> "" rhsia
      or from the Replace dialog, turn on Regular expressions, set Find="^ "
      (w/o quotes caret+space) and leave Replace empty and click Replace All
      button

      If you are familiar with the clipbar you can create that clip and drag
      it to the clipbar so it only requires 1-click to execute.
      You could also replace steps 2,3,4 above by a three line clip (using
      ^!Menu commands) and add the fixup regexp as the fourth line. It would
      still be a 1-click operation after doing the selection.

      If an ALL-Keyboard method is needed/desirable you could use Sheri's
      clipkey shortcuts but discussion of that really would have to take place
      on the clips list.
      Note though, that you don't have to do it with each paragraph as you go
      through the Select, Single-line-space, Join, Split routine but can
      instead do it on the whole document at the end. (Assuming there are no
      lines that are SUPPOSED to start with a single-space indent.)

      Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail
      --
    • abairheart
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 19, 2007
        --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Richard" <anderson@...> wrote:

        > As you can see Ver 5.1 has decided to indent all lines subsequent to
        > the first by one column. This is a serious bug! In fact, I had to

        > to format paragraphs in my newsletter. The 1-column indent makes this
        > sequence useless.
        >
        > Perhaps somebody in this group can suggest to me what I ought to do to
        > overcome the bug.

        The quick fix is to do

        SHIFT+CTRL+J SHIFT+CTRL+I

        Which will UN-join and then OUTDENT the spaces

        Abair
      • buralex@gmail.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 20, 2007
          Abair: MUCH better than my clumsy solution :-)

          > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Richard" <anderson@...> wrote:
          >

          >> > As you can see Ver 5.1 has decided to indent all lines subsequent to
          >> > the first by one column. This is a serious bug! In fact, I had to
          >

          >> > to format paragraphs in my newsletter. The 1-column indent makes this
          >> > sequence useless.
          >> >
          >> > Perhaps somebody in this group can suggest to me what I ought to do to
          >> > overcome the bug.
          >> >

          > The quick fix is to do
          >
          > SHIFT+CTRL+J SHIFT+CTRL+I
          >
          > Which will UN-join and then OUTDENT the spaces
          >

          > Abair

          Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail