Re: [NTB] Re: Line breaks

  • bruce.somers@web.de
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 28, 2006
      The following might be a solution for you, if you want to go though a large file a line at time and make all changes by hand.

      It has nothing to do with what I asked, which was answered very well. It was the ^p that I didn't find anywhere.

      Thanks anyway.

      Bruce

      > As you saw from the other answers, you can REPLACE a character with
      > a linebreak, or add one, using "^P" (case doesn't matter).
      >
      > But if you want to replace the character only if it meets certain
      > conditions, you might want the use FIND, rather than REPLACE.
      >
      > Find the desired character, and exit the FIND dialog.
      > Then you have several options:
      >
      > 1. Find the NEXT such character (leave the first find as is)
      > by pressing F3
      >
      > 2. Replace the found character (still selected)
      > by pressing the ENTER key
      >
      > 3. Add the NEWLINE AFTER the character
      > press RIGHT ARROW, the press ENTER
      >
      > 4. Add the NEWLINE BEFORE the character selected
      > press LEFT ARROW, then ENTER, then F3
      >
      > The last F3 (option 4) will reselect the previously
      > found character. YOu can now add anothr line feed,
      > search again, or quit.
      >
      > On the other hand, it's a real good idea to learn
      > at least some rudimentary regular expressions,
      > and some rudimentary clip programming.
      >
      > Abair
      >
      > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Somers" <bruce.somers@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > I realize that this a very trivial question but I have not been able
      > > to find a solution by myself.
      > >
      > > There must be a way, using NoteTab, to insert a line break into a file
      > > at each point where a particular character is encountered, a %-sign
      > > for example, without resorting to clips, regular expression searches
      > > and the like.
      > >
      > > I'd appreciate any tips.
      > >
      > > Bruce Somers

    • loro
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 28, 2006
        bruce.somers@... wrote:
        > It was the ^p that I didn't find anywhere.

        I know this issue is solved long ago, but just for the reference... Open
        the Find dialog and hit F1 and there it is. Some day you may want to
        replace a tab. ;-)
        ____________________
        The Find and Replace dialog boxes accept tokens to represent special
        characters:

        ^T = Tab ($09)
        ^B = Page break ($0C)
        ^P = Paragraph (carriage-return/line-feed pair)

        The following are not available in NoteTab Pro:

        ^C = Carriage-return ($0D)
        ^L = Line-feed ($0A)

        Lotta