Re: How to create Win2K Shortcut to NTP text file?

  • djust
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 8, 2006
      > I have a number of text files that show up in Windows Explorer with
      > little Swiss flag icons to the left of the file names.
      >
      > Today I tried dragging and dropping a shortcut to one of these files
      > from Windows Explorer onto the Win2K Start menu.
      >
      > But when I click on the shortcut, the text file doesn't open in NTP
      > (4.95). What happens is that the NTP window opens up on the desktop,
      > but then nothing else happens.
      >
      > Back when I was running Win 98, I was able to open files in NTP from
      > shortcuts on the Start Menu.

      I think that you had better give us some more detail. I am running
      Win2000, I just followed your instructions exactly, and the text file
      in question opened up in NTP with no problem when I clicked on the new
      shortcut.

      Thanks.
      David.
    • Clueless in Seattle
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 13, 2006
        --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "djust" <djust@...> wrote:

        > I think that you had better give us some more detail. I am running
        > Win2000, I just followed your instructions exactly, and the text file
        > in question opened up in NTP with no problem when I clicked on the new
        > shortcut.

        Thanks for offering to help, David.

        I'm not certain what kind of details will be helpful.

        I'm running NTP 4.95.

        I don't have the "Replace Notepad" option turned on.

        What else would you like to know?

        Will in Seattle
        a.k.a. "Clueless"
      • djust
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 16, 2006
          > I'm not certain what kind of details will be helpful.
          I'm not certain either. I'm just looking for a difference between
          your
          setup and mine, or what you did and what I did, to explain why it
          worked on my system, and not on yours.

          > I'm running NTP 4.95.
          Me too. And I'm running it with the configuration settings stored in
          an .ini file, not in the registry. This is the default setting.

          > I don't have the "Replace Notepad" option turned on.
          Me neither. So far, so good.

          > What else would you like to know?
          First I'll tell you EXACTLY what I did. See if this works for you:
          1. I picked a text file at random, right clicked, and hit "Create
          shortcut". (Make sure that you use a text file which you know has
          text
          content, and is undamaged.) It created the shortcut.
          2. I put the cursor over the new shortcut, pressed on the left mouse
          button, and dragged the cursor to the "Start" button. At that point,
          the Windows start menu usually jumped open, although once when I
          tried
          it it didn't, and the continuation worked fine anyway.
          3. I released the mouse button, and the new shortcut appeared at the
          top of the start menu, ABOVE "Programs". When I clicked the new
          shortcut, it opened the text file in question.

          If this doesn't work, I have another idea:
          1. Run the Windows Explorer file manager GUI by going to Start|Run
          and
          entering "explorer", then hitting return.
          2. Go into Tools|Folder Options|File Types.
          3. Scroll down to TXT.
          4. Destroy the association with NoteTab somehow. On my setup,
          hitting "Restore" did it. I just want you to create a new
          association with NTP, so that if there was anything strange about the
          old one, the strangeness will also be destroyed. (Oddly, if I go
          into
          NTP's View|Options|Associations, nothing appears. This may have
          something to do with it.)
          5. DON'T make a new association in the explorer GUI or in NoteTab.
          Try
          doing it just like I did. Pick out a text file. Right click. Go
          to "Open With". Go to "Choose Program" - even if it's unnecessary -
          then browse to NoteTab, check "Always use this program", and hit OK.
          Test the new association to see if the problem is solved, and tell us
          what happened.

          Good luck.
          David.

          > Will in Seattle
          > a.k.a. "Clueless"

        • abairheart
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 28, 2006
            This is really a Windows question, rather than a Notetab one.

            But here is how to get started:

            Open your Start menu, Place your cursor on the shortcut in question
            and RIGHT-click on it. Now select Properties in the menu that pops up.

            In the new pop-up window there should be several tabs, select them one
            by one, looking for the values in:

            Location
            Target
            and
            Start-in boxes.

            These values will tell you or your helpers what to expect from the
            shortcut.

            Good luck.

            Abair

            --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Clueless in Seattle"