How to restore my NTP configuration?

  • will_aka_clueless
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 5, 2006
      For the last year or more I've been using NTP 4.95 as a virtual notebook.

      I had it set up with a favorites list along the left side of the NTP
      window. I also had numerous favorites categories to choose from. But
      it's been so long since I set it up this way that I don't remember the
      details of how I managed to do it.

      I had NTP in my Win 2K StartUp folder, so each morning when I booted
      up my computer, NTP would be up and running with a selection of my
      favorite text files already open.

      But then everything changed this morning.

      Some time ago I had checked the "Help>Poll for News" menu item in NTP,
      but it had become a nuisance because every morning NTP would stall the
      boot up process by asking me if I wanted to connect to the internet.

      I couldn't remember how to turn that feature off, so this morning I
      started hunting through the menus and came across "Show Tip of the
      Day" and thought that might be helpful so I checked it. I don't know
      if that's what caused my problem, but now NTP looks completely different.

      My favorites list is gone, and in it's place is a list with "HTML" in
      the little drop down box at the top. None of my favorite files is
      opened. And the NTP window is cluttered with all manner of liuttle
      buttons I've never seen before.

      I'd be grateful for some help in getting NTP back to the way I had it
      before.

      Will in Seattle
      a.k.a. "Clueless"
    • Sheri
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 5, 2006
        --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "will_aka_clueless"
        <will_aka_clueless@...> wrote:

        > My favorites list is gone, and in it's place is a list
        > with "HTML" in the little drop down box at the top.
        > None of my favorite files is opened. And the NTP
        > window is cluttered with all manner of liuttle buttons
        > I've never seen before.

        Favorites is one of the choices for display in the "Quick List" side
        panel. The Quick List normally appears on the right side (F6 to toggle
        on and off), but if you set you ClipBook option to Dock on the right
        side, the Quick List appears on the left side. You can access the
        options for Clipbook and Quick List from View|Options in the menu, or
        from the Tools menu (Clipbook properties and Quick List properties).

        Regards,
        Sheri
      • will_aka_clueless
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 5, 2006
          Thanks Sheri,

          Yes, F6 opened my Quick List.

          And now I've got it back on the left side.

          But it's lost its former formatting. Am I going to have to manually
          set the color and font?

          Will in Seattle
          a.k.a. "Clueless"

          But all of the files

          --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Sheri" <silvermoonwoman@...> wrote:

          > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "will_aka_clueless"
          > <will_aka_clueless@> wrote:
          >
          > > My favorites list is gone, and in it's place is a list
          > > with "HTML" in the little drop down box at the top.
          > > None of my favorite files is opened. And the NTP
          > > window is cluttered with all manner of liuttle buttons
          > > I've never seen before.
          >
          > Favorites is one of the choices for display in the "Quick List" side
          > panel. The Quick List normally appears on the right side (F6 to toggle
          > on and off), but if you set you ClipBook option to Dock on the right
          > side, the Quick List appears on the left side. You can access the
          > options for Clipbook and Quick List from View|Options in the menu, or
          > from the Tools menu (Clipbook properties and Quick List properties).
          >
          > Regards,
          > Sheri

        • Clueless in Seattle
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 6, 2006
            Little by little I've been getting NTP 4.95 back to the way it was
            working before it went blooey on me yesterday morning. Just a few
            moments ago I discovered that it had lost the WordStar Key Mapping and
            had to hunt for the control to get that back.

            So I imagine over the next few days I'll keep stumbling on settings
            that I'm going to have to figure out how to restore. Yesterday I
            tried to reset the background color on the Favorites list, but the
            "Define Custom Colors" option was out of commission. No matter where I
            moved the crosshairs, the color always came out white. But this
            morning, it was working again.

            That behavior, along with it losing all of my personal settings, leads
            me to believe that I may be dealing with a corrupted installation and
            may have to reinstall. Would this forum be the appropriate place to
            request advice on how to reinstall NTP 4.95 while trying to retain my
            personal settings in the process?

            And, I suppose, there is no way to answer the question of how it got
            so messed up. It was working fine until I decided to deselect the
            "Help > Poll for News" menu item. And in the process noticed the
            "Show Tip of the Day" menu item, and checked it. Then yesterday
            morning when I booted up I got a tip about dragging and dropping from
            the Clipbook into a document.

            The tip had a footer that said "Press F1 for more information about
            this tip." When I pressed F1 my NTP display changed radically and I
            lost all my personal settings. I guess that alone is reason enough to
            reinstall NTP, wouldn't you say?

            Will in Seattle
            a.k.a. "Clueless"