Paste Board Failing

  • Ray Shapp
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 29, 2006
      Hello All,

      The function of the Paste Board feature on my PC has stopped working. I can
      set any document to be my paste board by pressing Ctrl+Shft+P or by using the
      Documents menu item. The tab of the chosen document turns green to show that
      it is now the paste board, but none of the text I cut or copy in other
      documents is actually captured. The paste board divider (a line of asterisks)
      also does not appear in the paste board document. I don't receive any error
      messages.

      I can copy or cut and paste in the normal way in NoteTab and in Office
      applications like Word and Excel. It's just the automatic pasting in the PB
      document that is not working.

      I have designated a variety of documents to be the PB. I have closed and
      reopened NoteTab. I have even rebooted the PC several times, but the PB
      function still fails to work.

      This failure is relatively recent, but I can't think of any new installation
      or other incidents that might cause PB to fail.

      I'm using NTP v4.95 on a WinXP Home SP2 box.

      Thanks for your help.

      Ray Shapp
    • Alec Burgess
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 29, 2006
        Ray:
        > The function of the Paste Board feature on my PC has stopped working.
        > I can
        > set any document to be my paste board by pressing Ctrl+Shft+P or by
        > using the
        > Documents menu item. The tab of the chosen document turns green to
        > show that
        > it is now the paste board, but none of the text I cut or copy in other
        > documents is actually captured. The paste board divider (a line of
        > asterisks)
        > also does not appear in the paste board document. I don't receive any
        > error
        > messages.
        Usually this problem is because some other program is improperly messing
        with the notification methods all Windows programs are "supposed" to
        use. Have a look at this page from the author of Clipmate:
        > Clipboard Information For Developers - Clipboard Viewers, Common
        > Mistakes, etc.
        > "Clipboard Developer Information
        >

        > This page is intended to promote interoperability and harmony between
        > various applications. It is for developers of other software products
        > to learn about how to make their application work better with
        > ClipMate, avoid common clipboard coding problems.
        > Individual Topics:
        >
        > * Proper Implementation of Clipboard Viewers
        > * Common Clipboard Mistakes
        > * Ignoring Clipboard Updates with the CF_CLIPBOARD_VIEWER_IGNORE
        > Clipboard Format"
        > http://www.thornsoft.com/developer.htm
        You say:
        > I can copy or cut and paste in the normal way in NoteTab and in Office
        > applications like Word and Excel.

        I don't use Microsoft Word or Office programs very often but I believe
        they are frequently found to "misbehave".

        You didn't say whether you had already tried just terminating Notetab
        and restarting it and then turning on the Pasteboard function. I use
        ClipCachePlus. Sometimes it just "stops" working. It has a function that
        explicitly resets the clipboard chain and usually this is enough to make
        it start working again. The same effect can be obtained by stopping and
        then restarting.

        In an attempt to determine where your problems originate I'd suggest the
        following:

        1. Close Notetab, close ALL other applications, restart Notetab, set
        a file as the Pasteboard.
        * Does it work?
        * If so, restart other applications and try clipboard
        "functions" in them and then in Notetab. Can you make it
        fail reproducibly?
        2. If it didn't work after step (1), maybe its some "background"
        program that doesn't appear in Systray or Taskbar that is the problem.
        * Get a program like Sysinternals AutoRuns or PCMag's
        StartupCopPro 2 and temporarily turn off everything
        possible, Restart/reboot and again try Pasteboard functions
        in Notetab
        3. As an alternative to 2 (especially if you're not already
        comfortable with tinkering with what starts automatically) you
        could try rebooting into safe mode and testing Pasteboard
        functions in Notetab.

        Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail

      • Ray Shapp
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 30, 2006
          Hi Alec,

          Thanks for the reply,

          <<You didn't say whether you had already tried just terminating Notetab and
          restarting it and then turning on the Pasteboard function. >>

          I did reboot several times (although I didn't explicitly close ALL
          applications before rebooting). Nevertheless, I followed your suggestions just
          now, and I did close everything before turning off power to the PC. When I
          started back up all copying and pasteboard functions returned to normal. I was
          able to exercise copying text out of Word, Excel, MS Internet Explorer,
          Outlook Express, Firefox, and telnet.

          Nary a glitch anywhere. This indicates that the problem was preserved even
          when the machine was shut down because part of the shutdown sequence is to
          preserve the state of running applications. In my case, it was preserving the
          error condition too.

          Many thanks for the help -- I learned from this experience.

          Ray Shapp
        • Alec Burgess
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 30, 2006
            Ray:

            > <<You didn't say whether you had already tried just terminating Notetab and
            > restarting it and then turning on the Pasteboard function. >>
            >
            > I did reboot several times (although I didn't explicitly close ALL
            > applications before rebooting). Nevertheless, I followed your suggestions just
            > now, and I did close everything before turning off power to the PC. When I
            > started back up all copying and pasteboard functions returned to normal. I was
            > able to exercise copying text out of Word, Excel, MS Internet Explorer,
            > Outlook Express, Firefox, and telnet.
            >
            > Nary a glitch anywhere. This indicates that the problem was preserved even
            > when the machine was shut down because part of the shutdown sequence is to
            > preserve the state of running applications. In my case, it was preserving the
            > error condition too.

            I'm not sure that it would be the preservation of the state of running
            apps so much as reboots starting things in the same order. I suspect
            you've still got some program which, (at least under certain
            circumstances, possibly something you do only occasionally(?)), is doing
            something incorrect to the clipboard chain.

            If/when(?) it happens again, hopefully you've now got enough data points
            to restore the Notetab-pasteboard functionality with less trouble than
            previously.