Re: [NTB] Typing Fractions

  • Jeff Scism
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 16 8:42 AM
      SEE: http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/math/index.html#fractions

      Brian Binder wrote:
      > I'm sure this answer will be obvious but I can't find what to search for
      > in the manual.
      >
      > I want to make fractions, like 3/4, 1/2, etc. in a NoteTab document.
      >
      > Instead of having them take up 3 spaces, i.e., 1/2, how can I have them
      > take up a single space where it shows the 1 on top, slash below and the
      > 2 on the bottom, for example?
      >
      > Here's a screenie that shows what I mean. The only way I can get it to
      > happen is by copying a pasting it from a different program.
      >
      > http://www.bndservices.com/notetab/fractions.jpg

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • DRRD
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 16 8:46 AM
        http://www.1728.com/altchar.htm
        here are your alt key combos
        kitten

        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 16 9:19 AM
          I use fractions a lot (I write recipes). I have these codes on clips,
          and it's great. If anyone ever see codes (or character strings or
          whatever you call them) for 1/3 and 2/3, I'd love to know about it!

          Thanks -

          Laura
        • Corl DeLuna
          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 16 10:14 AM
            Hi Laura,

            My wife does recipies in HTML and uses &176; or ° or ALT 0176 in regular
            text to give her the degree sign.
            I haven't seen HTML character entities for 1/3 or 2/3, but the math
            fractions link http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/math/index.html#fractions that
            Jeff Scism provided has some good work arounds.
            Mind sharing your fraction clips?

            Best,
            Corl

            _____

            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 16 10:47 AM
              Interesting, only the right ALT key works.

              Lou

              At 10:17 AM 11/16/2006 -0600, you wrote:

              >You can do these by pressing:
              >ALT plus 171 = ½
              >ALT plus 172 = ¼
              >I think there are others.
              >
              >John Wallace
              >Pontiac Power RULES !!!
              >www.wallaceracing.com
            • Corl DeLuna
              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 16 11:04 AM
                For me it is just the key pad that works.

                Corl

                _____

                Interesting, only the right ALT key works.

                Lou

                At 10:17 AM 11/16/2006 -0600, you wrote:

                >You can do these by pressing:
                >ALT plus 171 = ½
                >ALT plus 172 = ¼
                >I think there are others.
                >
                >John Wallace
                >Pontiac Power RULES !!!
                >www.wallaceracing.com

              • Brian Binder
                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 16 11:21 AM
                  Thanks everyone for all the help and links, but anytime I write them or
                  use Alt keys, they launch my clip libraries and I never see the fraction
                  signs. :(

                  I'm sure I'm missing something here, but I don't have any special keys
                  setup for anything else.

                  I hold ALT and then press 171 and my Autocorrect clip opens.

                  Lou wrote:

                  > Interesting, only the right ALT key works.
                  >
                  > Lou
                  >
                  > At 10:17 AM 11/16/2006 -0600, you wrote:
                  >
                  >>You can do these by pressing:
                  >>ALT plus 171 = ½
                  >>ALT plus 172 = ¼
                  >>I think there are others.
                  >>
                  >>John Wallace
                  >>Pontiac Power RULES !!!
                  >>www.wallaceracing.com
                • Brian Binder
                  Message 8 of 17 , Nov 16 11:24 AM
                    I'm trying to do it on my laptop :(

                    Corl DeLuna wrote:

                    > For me it is just the key pad that works.
                    >
                    > Corl
                  • Brian Binder
                    Message 9 of 17 , Nov 16 11:25 AM
                      And there it it...ALT+Fn has to be held and then the keys. Now I can
                      get it to work. Phew! :P Thanks everyone!

                      Corl DeLuna wrote:

                      > For me it is just the key pad that works.
                      >
                      > Corl
                    • John Wallace
                      Message 10 of 17 , Nov 16 11:50 AM
                        Yes, I think you have to use the keypad when using the ALT button.
                        Should have remembered that.

                        John Wallace
                        Pontiac Power RULES !!!
                        www.wallaceracing.com

                        _____

                        For me it is just the key pad that works.

                        Corl

                        _____

                        Interesting, only the right ALT key works.

                        Lou

                        At 10:17 AM 11/16/2006 -0600, you wrote:

                        >You can do these by pressing:
                        >ALT plus 171 = ½
                        >ALT plus 172 = ¼
                        >I think there are others.
                        >
                        >John Wallace
                        >Pontiac Power RULES !!!
                        >www.wallaceracing.com

                      • Corl DeLuna
                        Message 11 of 17 , Nov 16 11:57 AM
                          Glad you got it going Brian. What is ALT+Fn? When I try ALT+F, the file menu
                          drops down.

                          Thanks,
                          Corl

                          _____

                          Corl DeLuna wrote:

                          > For me it is just the key pad that works.
                          >
                          > Corl

                        • Chris Laarman
                          Message 12 of 17 , Nov 16 12:07 PM
                            Corl DeLuna (corl@...), Thursday, November 16, 2006 8:04 PM

                            > For me it is just the key pad that works.

                            >> Interesting, only the right ALT key works.

                            >>> You can do these by pressing:
                            >>> ALT plus 171 = ½
                            >>> ALT plus 172 = ¼
                            >>> I think there are others.

                            Originally it was the (only) Alt-key plus the numbers on the numeric bloc.

                            Then there came two Alt-keys. Then the right-hand one became Alt Gr
                            (equaling Shift-Alt, if I'm right), in order to address more valuta symbols,
                            printed in green on the keys. Then some manufacurer managed to save a cent
                            per pallet of keyboards by using the one caption "Alt" on both the Alt and
                            the Alt Gr keys. The green ink didn't make it to black keyboards anyway.
                            The numeric block didn't make it to notebooks, until the larger wide-screen
                            ones (17" or even 19"?), but a separate numeric block, connected though USB,
                            will likely mimic the desktop behavior.

                            Notebooks tend to have an "Fn" button. For example, I can trade part of my
                            characters for numbers by pressing Fn-NumLock. Then pressing Alt while
                            typing "j7k" (without the quotation marks) equals and returns the above "ALT
                            plus 172 = ¼".

                            Using the "US International" keyboard layout, typing the row 1..0 above Q..P
                            while holding Alt Gr down results in:
                            ¡²³¤€¼½¾‘’
                            so do keep experimenting! :-)

                            NOTE: In order to show the intentioned symbols I had to send this message in
                            Unicode, whereas you (Corl) use US-ASCII. I don't know what you'll see in
                            that line.

                            But obviously Clips are nice, as long as you're in NoteTab.

                            --
                            Chris Laarman
                          • Corl DeLuna
                            Message 13 of 17 , Nov 16 12:38 PM
                              I love the backgrounder on keyboard evolution/devolution, and the present day Unicode/US-ASCII distinctions.

                              Thanks a bunch Chris!
                              Corl

                              _____

                              > For me it is just the key pad that works.

                              >> Interesting, only the right ALT key works.

                              >>> You can do these by pressing:
                              >>> ALT plus 171 = ½
                              >>> ALT plus 172 = ¼
                              >>> I think there are others.

                              Originally it was the (only) Alt-key plus the numbers on the numeric bloc.

                              Then there came two Alt-keys. Then the right-hand one became Alt Gr
                              (equaling Shift-Alt, if I'm right), in order to address more valuta symbols,
                              printed in green on the keys. Then some manufacurer managed to save a cent
                              per pallet of keyboards by using the one caption "Alt" on both the Alt and
                              the Alt Gr keys. The green ink didn't make it to black keyboards anyway.
                              The numeric block didn't make it to notebooks, until the larger wide-screen
                              ones (17" or even 19"?), but a separate numeric block, connected though USB,
                              will likely mimic the desktop behavior.

                              Notebooks tend to have an "Fn" button. For example, I can trade part of my
                              characters for numbers by pressing Fn-NumLock. Then pressing Alt while
                              typing "j7k" (without the quotation marks) equals and returns the above "ALT
                              plus 172 = ¼".

                              Using the "US International" keyboard layout, typing the row 1..0 above Q..P
                              while holding Alt Gr down results in:
                              ¡²³¤€¼½¾‘’
                              so do keep experimenting! :-)

                              NOTE: In order to show the intentioned symbols I had to send this message in
                              Unicode, whereas you (Corl) use US-ASCII. I don't know what you'll see in
                              that line.

                              But obviously Clips are nice, as long as you're in NoteTab.

                              --
                              Chris Laarman

                            • don
                              Message 14 of 17 , Nov 19 8:51 PM
                                Should you forget the keystrokes or wish to find others, go to
                                Character Map (Accessories - System Tools in XP). The keystrokes are
                                shown in the bottom right corner of the dialog box. Notice that some
                                fonts will not produce. db