Typing Fractions

  • Brian Binder
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 16, 2006
      I'm sure this answer will be obvious but I can't find what to search for
      in the manual.

      I want to make fractions, like 3/4, 1/2, etc. in a NoteTab document.

      Instead of having them take up 3 spaces, i.e., 1/2, how can I have them
      take up a single space where it shows the 1 on top, slash below and the
      2 on the bottom, for example?

      Here's a screenie that shows what I mean. The only way I can get it to
      happen is by copying a pasting it from a different program.

      http://www.bndservices.com/notetab/fractions.jpg
    • John Wallace
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 16, 2006
        You can do these by pressing:
        ALT plus 171 = ½
        ALT plus 172 = ¼
        I think there are others.

        John Wallace
        Pontiac Power RULES !!!
        www.wallaceracing.com

        _____

        I'm sure this answer will be obvious but I can't find what to search for
        in the manual.

        I want to make fractions, like 3/4, 1/2, etc. in a NoteTab document.

        Instead of having them take up 3 spaces, i.e., 1/2, how can I have them
        take up a single space where it shows the 1 on top, slash below and the
        2 on the bottom, for example?

        Here's a screenie that shows what I mean. The only way I can get it to
        happen is by copying a pasting it from a different program.

        http://www.bndservi <http://www.bndservices.com/notetab/fractions.jpg> ces.com/notetab/fractions.jpg

      • adrien
        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 16, 2006
          Op donderdag 16-11-2006 om 09:56 uur [tijdzone -0600], schreef Brian
          Binder:
          > Instead of having them take up 3 spaces, i.e., 1/2, how can I have
          > them take up a single space where it shows the 1 on top, slash below
          > and the 2 on the bottom, for example?

          type: ¼ (=1/4)
          ½ (=1/2)
          ¾ (=3/4)
          --
          adrien
        • Jeff Scism
          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 16, 2006
            SEE: http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/math/index.html#fractions

            Brian Binder wrote:
            > I'm sure this answer will be obvious but I can't find what to search for
            > in the manual.
            >
            > I want to make fractions, like 3/4, 1/2, etc. in a NoteTab document.
            >
            > Instead of having them take up 3 spaces, i.e., 1/2, how can I have them
            > take up a single space where it shows the 1 on top, slash below and the
            > 2 on the bottom, for example?
            >
            > Here's a screenie that shows what I mean. The only way I can get it to
            > happen is by copying a pasting it from a different program.
            >
            > http://www.bndservices.com/notetab/fractions.jpg

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • DRRD
            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 16, 2006
              http://www.1728.com/altchar.htm
              here are your alt key combos
              kitten

              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 16, 2006
                I use fractions a lot (I write recipes). I have these codes on clips,
                and it's great. If anyone ever see codes (or character strings or
                whatever you call them) for 1/3 and 2/3, I'd love to know about it!

                Thanks -

                Laura
              • Corl DeLuna
                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 16, 2006
                  Hi Laura,

                  My wife does recipies in HTML and uses &176; or ° or ALT 0176 in regular
                  text to give her the degree sign.
                  I haven't seen HTML character entities for 1/3 or 2/3, but the math
                  fractions link http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/math/index.html#fractions that
                  Jeff Scism provided has some good work arounds.
                  Mind sharing your fraction clips?

                  Best,
                  Corl

                  _____

                  Message 8 of 17 , Nov 16, 2006
                    Interesting, only the right ALT key works.

                    Lou

                    At 10:17 AM 11/16/2006 -0600, you wrote:

                    >You can do these by pressing:
                    >ALT plus 171 = ½
                    >ALT plus 172 = ¼
                    >I think there are others.
                    >
                    >John Wallace
                    >Pontiac Power RULES !!!
                    >www.wallaceracing.com
                  • Corl DeLuna
                    Message 9 of 17 , Nov 16, 2006
                      For me it is just the key pad that works.

                      Corl

                      _____

                      Interesting, only the right ALT key works.

                      Lou

                      At 10:17 AM 11/16/2006 -0600, you wrote:

                      >You can do these by pressing:
                      >ALT plus 171 = ½
                      >ALT plus 172 = ¼
                      >I think there are others.
                      >
                      >John Wallace
                      >Pontiac Power RULES !!!
                      >www.wallaceracing.com

                    • Brian Binder
                      Message 10 of 17 , Nov 16, 2006
                        Thanks everyone for all the help and links, but anytime I write them or
                        use Alt keys, they launch my clip libraries and I never see the fraction
                        signs. :(

                        I'm sure I'm missing something here, but I don't have any special keys
                        setup for anything else.

                        I hold ALT and then press 171 and my Autocorrect clip opens.

                        Lou wrote:

                        > Interesting, only the right ALT key works.
                        >
                        > Lou
                        >
                        > At 10:17 AM 11/16/2006 -0600, you wrote:
                        >
                        >>You can do these by pressing:
                        >>ALT plus 171 = ½
                        >>ALT plus 172 = ¼
                        >>I think there are others.
                        >>
                        >>John Wallace
                        >>Pontiac Power RULES !!!
                        >>www.wallaceracing.com
                      • Brian Binder
                        Message 11 of 17 , Nov 16, 2006
                          I'm trying to do it on my laptop :(

                          Corl DeLuna wrote:

                          > For me it is just the key pad that works.
                          >
                          > Corl
                        • Brian Binder
                          Message 12 of 17 , Nov 16, 2006
                            And there it it...ALT+Fn has to be held and then the keys. Now I can
                            get it to work. Phew! :P Thanks everyone!

                            Corl DeLuna wrote:

                            > For me it is just the key pad that works.
                            >
                            > Corl
                          • John Wallace
                            Message 13 of 17 , Nov 16, 2006
                              Yes, I think you have to use the keypad when using the ALT button.
                              Should have remembered that.

                              John Wallace
                              Pontiac Power RULES !!!
                              www.wallaceracing.com

                              _____

                              For me it is just the key pad that works.

                              Corl

                              _____

                              Interesting, only the right ALT key works.

                              Lou

                              At 10:17 AM 11/16/2006 -0600, you wrote:

                              >You can do these by pressing:
                              >ALT plus 171 = ½
                              >ALT plus 172 = ¼
                              >I think there are others.
                              >
                              >John Wallace
                              >Pontiac Power RULES !!!
                              >www.wallaceracing.com

                            • Corl DeLuna
                              Message 14 of 17 , Nov 16, 2006
                                Glad you got it going Brian. What is ALT+Fn? When I try ALT+F, the file menu
                                drops down.

                                Thanks,
                                Corl

                                _____

                                Corl DeLuna wrote:

                                > For me it is just the key pad that works.
                                >
                                > Corl

                              • Chris Laarman
                                Message 15 of 17 , Nov 16, 2006
                                  Corl DeLuna (corl@...), Thursday, November 16, 2006 8:04 PM

                                  > For me it is just the key pad that works.

                                  >> Interesting, only the right ALT key works.

                                  >>> You can do these by pressing:
                                  >>> ALT plus 171 = ½
                                  >>> ALT plus 172 = ¼
                                  >>> I think there are others.

                                  Originally it was the (only) Alt-key plus the numbers on the numeric bloc.

                                  Then there came two Alt-keys. Then the right-hand one became Alt Gr
                                  (equaling Shift-Alt, if I'm right), in order to address more valuta symbols,
                                  printed in green on the keys. Then some manufacurer managed to save a cent
                                  per pallet of keyboards by using the one caption "Alt" on both the Alt and
                                  the Alt Gr keys. The green ink didn't make it to black keyboards anyway.
                                  The numeric block didn't make it to notebooks, until the larger wide-screen
                                  ones (17" or even 19"?), but a separate numeric block, connected though USB,
                                  will likely mimic the desktop behavior.

                                  Notebooks tend to have an "Fn" button. For example, I can trade part of my
                                  characters for numbers by pressing Fn-NumLock. Then pressing Alt while
                                  typing "j7k" (without the quotation marks) equals and returns the above "ALT
                                  plus 172 = ¼".

                                  Using the "US International" keyboard layout, typing the row 1..0 above Q..P
                                  while holding Alt Gr down results in:
                                  ¡²³¤€¼½¾‘’
                                  so do keep experimenting! :-)

                                  NOTE: In order to show the intentioned symbols I had to send this message in
                                  Unicode, whereas you (Corl) use US-ASCII. I don't know what you'll see in
                                  that line.

                                  But obviously Clips are nice, as long as you're in NoteTab.

                                  --
                                  Chris Laarman
                                • Corl DeLuna
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Nov 16, 2006
                                    I love the backgrounder on keyboard evolution/devolution, and the present day Unicode/US-ASCII distinctions.

                                    Thanks a bunch Chris!
                                    Corl

                                    _____

                                    > For me it is just the key pad that works.

                                    >> Interesting, only the right ALT key works.

                                    >>> You can do these by pressing:
                                    >>> ALT plus 171 = ½
                                    >>> ALT plus 172 = ¼
                                    >>> I think there are others.

                                    Originally it was the (only) Alt-key plus the numbers on the numeric bloc.

                                    Then there came two Alt-keys. Then the right-hand one became Alt Gr
                                    (equaling Shift-Alt, if I'm right), in order to address more valuta symbols,
                                    printed in green on the keys. Then some manufacurer managed to save a cent
                                    per pallet of keyboards by using the one caption "Alt" on both the Alt and
                                    the Alt Gr keys. The green ink didn't make it to black keyboards anyway.
                                    The numeric block didn't make it to notebooks, until the larger wide-screen
                                    ones (17" or even 19"?), but a separate numeric block, connected though USB,
                                    will likely mimic the desktop behavior.

                                    Notebooks tend to have an "Fn" button. For example, I can trade part of my
                                    characters for numbers by pressing Fn-NumLock. Then pressing Alt while
                                    typing "j7k" (without the quotation marks) equals and returns the above "ALT
                                    plus 172 = ¼".

                                    Using the "US International" keyboard layout, typing the row 1..0 above Q..P
                                    while holding Alt Gr down results in:
                                    ¡²³¤€¼½¾‘’
                                    so do keep experimenting! :-)

                                    NOTE: In order to show the intentioned symbols I had to send this message in
                                    Unicode, whereas you (Corl) use US-ASCII. I don't know what you'll see in
                                    that line.

                                    But obviously Clips are nice, as long as you're in NoteTab.

                                    --
                                    Chris Laarman

                                  • don
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Nov 19, 2006
                                      Should you forget the keystrokes or wish to find others, go to
                                      Character Map (Accessories - System Tools in XP). The keystrokes are
                                      shown in the bottom right corner of the dialog box. Notice that some
                                      fonts will not produce. db