RE: [NTB] Re: Very slow startup for 5.1 Pro

  • Corl DeLuna
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 7, 2006
      Hi Funky's Mama,

      I don't know if this applies to your situation, but once you mentioned a
      server, it suggested the problem and solution I had where NTP (4.95-5.1)
      would take 30 seconds to open txt files through a 2 computer LAN. People
      suggested all sorts of things to no avail -- for over 8 months. I was about
      to give up on NTP when Alec & Jeffery suggested it might be a mapping
      problem. See
      http://compnetworking.about.com/od/windowsxpnetworking/ht/mapnetworkdrive.ht
      <http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308582&sd=tech#XSLT
      H3139121122120121120120>

      Ever since I mapped the drives rather than file sharing, txt files open as
      they should in NTP. It still has problems initially recognizing files in a
      Quick List until I open the mapped drive, but I think this is a Windows
      issue.

      Hope this helps,
      Corl

      _____

      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 7, 2006
        Hi Corl,

        Oddly enough, all I had to do was read your message for the problem
        to resolve itself. ;) Seriously though, I just tried opening NTP
        now and it popped up in under 2 seconds. If I run into more
        trouble, I'll try navigating to your sites, or even reading them.

        Thanks!

        --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Corl DeLuna" <corl@...> wrote:

        > Hi Funky's Mama,
        >
        > I don't know if this applies to your situation, but once you
        mentioned a
        > server, it suggested the problem and solution I had where NTP
        (4.95-5.1)
        > would take 30 seconds to open txt files through a 2 computer LAN.
        People
        > suggested all sorts of things to no avail -- for over 8 months. I
        was about
        > to give up on NTP when Alec & Jeffery suggested it might be a
        mapping
        > problem. See

        http://compnetworking.about.com/od/windowsxpnetworking/ht/mapnetworkd
        rive.ht
        > <http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-
        us;308582&sd=tech#XSLT
        > H3139121122120121120120>
        >
        > Ever since I mapped the drives rather than file sharing, txt files
        open as
        > they should in NTP. It still has problems initially recognizing
        files in a
        > Quick List until I open the mapped drive, but I think this is a
        Windows
        > issue.
        >
        > Hope this helps,
        > Corl
        >
        > _____

        Behalf Of
        > funkysmama
        > Sent: Tuesday, November 07, 2006 11:58 AM
        > To: notetab@yahoogroups.com
        > Subject: [NTB] Re: Very slow startup for 5.1 Pro
        >

        > OK, some progress to report: based on another thread, I checked my
        > favorites list & removed a couple of files that were on an
        > unavailable server, which trimmed the start time down to 30
        > seconds. Still, that seems awfully long. Any other tips would be
        > gratefully received!
        >
        > --- In notetab@yahoogroups <mailto:notetab%40yahoogroups.com> .com,
        > "funkysmama" <funkysmama@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi,
        > >
        > > I've recently upgraded from 4.95 Pro, and I'm finding that 5.1
        Pro
        > is
        > > taking 1 minute, 15 seconds to start up. None of my other
        > programs
        > > start particularly slowly, for example, Windows Notepad opens in
        > less
        > > than a second, and MS Word 2003 only takes about 2 seconds.
        > >
        > > I've tried uninstalling & reinstalling, but that made no
        > difference.
        > >
        > > Any suggestions?
        > >
        > > Thanks,
        > >
        > > -- Funky's Mama

      • Corl DeLuna
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 7, 2006
          Glad reading the message helped ;-) Hope it keeps working like it should.

          BTW it was the 1st link I meant to send should you ever need it,

          <http://compnetworking.about.com/od/windowsxpnetworking/ht/mapnetworkdrive.h
          tm>
          http://compnetworking.about.com/od/windowsxpnetworking/ht/mapnetworkdrive.ht

          Best,
          Corl

          _____

          --- In notetab@yahoogroups <mailto:notetab%40yahoogroups.com> .com, "Corl
          DeLuna" <corl@...> wrote:

          > Hi Funky's Mama,
          >
          > I don't know if this applies to your situation, but once you
          mentioned a
          > server, it suggested the problem and solution I had where NTP
          (4.95-5.1)
          > would take 30 seconds to open txt files through a 2 computer LAN.
          People
          > suggested all sorts of things to no avail -- for over 8 months. I
          was about
          > to give up on NTP when Alec & Jeffery suggested it might be a
          mapping
          > problem. See

          http://compnetworki
          <http://compnetworking.about.com/od/windowsxpnetworking/ht/mapnetworkdrive.h
          tm> ng.about.com/od/windowsxpnetworking/ht/mapnetworkdrive.htm