Re: [NTB] ISO? UTF ? How to set it

  • Eric Fookes
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 2, 2006
      Hi,

      Characters like =FC =F6 =D4 are extended or Unicode characters that the
      sender's mail client has encoded using a method called quoted-printable
      encoding. So what you're seeing is not a NoteTab issue. NoteTab is
      simply displaying the text as it is stored in your mailbox file.

      We're getting ready to release Mailbag Assistant later today. This new
      update will display your UTF-8 messages correctly. Maybe that'll be a
      good solution for what you're trying to do.

      Eric Fookes
      http://www.fookes.com/

      swisscatdk wrote:
      > Dear all
      > I use a purchased Notetab Pro 4.95/np (full version)
      > I am in Switzerland and receive emails which use French accents and
      > German Umlauts.
      > I use Thunderbird as a email program. This stores the emails in plain
      > text and so it is easy for me to open e.g. my "Orders" mailbox with
      > Notetab Pro and sort out the emails that way by "manipulating" the
      > text of those mails.
      > Several years ago when I started using Notetab (the shareware
      > version), when I opened the mailbox file, the content of the emails
      > was displayed correctly in NoteTab, e.g. the word "hübsch" was shown
      > as such.
      > Now, no matter how the ISO/UTF setting is set in Thunderbird, NoteTab
      > does not display the accents. Instead it displays e.g.
      > h=FCbsch
      > This is really annoying, as when I sort out orders to transfer them
      > to an Excel file, I need to change all these =FC, =F6 =D4 etc. to
      > visible letters.
      > Is there any setting I can use to make NoteTab Pro display accented
      > letters correctly ?
      > Thanks for any help !
    • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 2, 2006
        Eric Fookes wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > Characters like =FC =F6 =D4 are extended or Unicode characters that the
        > sender's mail client has encoded using a method called quoted-printable
        > encoding. So what you're seeing is not a NoteTab issue. NoteTab is
        > simply displaying the text as it is stored in your mailbox file.
        >
        > We're getting ready to release Mailbag Assistant later today. This new
        > update will display your UTF-8 messages correctly. Maybe that'll be a
        > good solution for what you're trying to do.

        Or email the clips list with the affected characters and I bet an easy
        clip could be used?
      • Eric Fookes
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 2, 2006
          Hi Don,

          >> Characters like =FC =F6 =D4 are extended or Unicode characters that the
          >> sender's mail client has encoded using a method called quoted-printable
          >> encoding. So what you're seeing is not a NoteTab issue. NoteTab is
          >> simply displaying the text as it is stored in your mailbox file.
          >>
          >> We're getting ready to release Mailbag Assistant later today. This new
          >> update will display your UTF-8 messages correctly. Maybe that'll be a
          >> good solution for what you're trying to do.
          >>
          > Or email the clips list with the affected characters and I bet an easy
          > clip could be used?

          It could indeed be done that way. But the changes must not be saved or
          the mailbox file will be corrupted and may not display correctly in
          Thunderbird. So this can be a risky procedure.

          Eric Fookes
          http://www.fookes.com/
        • swisscatdk
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 2, 2006
            When I open my mailbox "Ticket Reservations" in NoteTab, mails have
            different Content-Type lines, for example, one particular email:

            When I delete this lines, it makes no difference and the mails are
            still displayed "correctly" in Thunderbird (i.e. the mailbox file is
            not corrupted) but I still get odd characters instead of the umlauts
            etc.

            The problem is that - using the email with this Content-Type as an
            example, I also have, as a subject
            >From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Ferdi_Lösch?= <nobody@...>

            The iso-8859-1 etc. additions are because of the "ä" and ö of course.

            The odd thing is that when I open the mailbox file in Windows' own
            Editor, many words are displayed correctly.

            But I am content to wait and see what the new addition will do :-)