Re: Specialfolder for NTP 5.1 like in NTP 4.95

  • w9zo
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 7, 2006
      --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Horst Nogajski" <newsletters@...> wrote:

      > Hi there,
      >
      > have upgraded from NTP 4.95 to 5.1 but the folder with all of my
      > configurations isn't found. In NTP 4.95 there was an Option under
      > Options->Advanced to tell NoteTab where all the files are. Now it
      > isn't available anymore. How can I get back this behave?
      >
      > Regards,
      > Horst

      Can't you find where the new version is saving the files, and just
      copy the old ones to that folder?
    • Horst Nogajski
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 7, 2006
        Hi Lotta,

        thanks for your answer,

        --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, loro <loro-spam01-@...> wrote:
        > If you don't mind reinstalling it, it will
        > work if you create its folder beforehand and place an ini file there.
        > Either use your old Notepro.ini or just create a blank file with
        that name.
        > If the installer sees the ini it will place the support files in the
        same
        > directory. Installing over version 4 should also work. I don't think
        there
        > is a way to get the option you talk about back.

        In meantime, I've found a solution to get back the old behave:
        As I've read here in the list, there is a commandline option with
        NoteTab 5:
        "C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\notetab.exe" /USER=D:\Data\NoteTab_data

        opens NTP and supports all my old files. But, unfortunatly, to got
        this work with double-clicking a file in explorer or something, I had
        to update all file-associations that points to NTP with this
        commandline option, too. :(

        But now, it works very similar like with NTP 4.x.

        Best regards,
        Horst
      • loro
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 7, 2006
          Horst Nogajski wrote:
          >In meantime, I've found a solution to get back the old behave:
          >As I've read here in the list, there is a commandline option with
          >NoteTab 5:
          >"C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\notetab.exe" /USER=D:\Data\NoteTab_data
          >
          >opens NTP and supports all my old files.

          Ah, you use a custom location. Sorry, I didn't understand that. I have no
          idea if this will work, but in previous versions NTP adds a line to the ini
          file, under the [Application] heading, when you use the Support Files
          Location option. Try to add it manually to Notepro.ini (when Notetab is not
          running) and see what happens. With a little luck it still works...

          [Application]
          MainDirectory=c:\path\to\dir

          If you use the registry instead of the ini, I don't know. But it shouldn't
          be hard to find out if you still have version 4.

          Lotta
        • Horst Nogajski
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 8, 2006
            Hi Lotta,

            --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, loro <loro-spam01-@...> wrote:
            > Ah, you use a custom location. Sorry, I didn't understand that. I
            have no
            > idea if this will work, but in previous versions NTP adds a line to
            the ini
            > file, under the [Application] heading, when you use the Support Files
            > Location option.

            > [Application]
            > MainDirectory=c:\path\to\dir

            This Line was kept automatically from the old installation by
            upgrading to NTP 5. But it doesn't work. I think this option was
            removed on behalf of the new Multi-User-functionality.

            --------------------------------

            Here are some of my experiences:

            The following two options in inifile are of interest if one want to
            have a custom location:

            [Application]
            UseRegistry=0
            UseProfileFolder=1

            This options in combination with the commandline param
            /USER=C:\Path\to\MyCustomfolder
            will work!

            e.g. if "UseProfileFolder=0" is set in inifile, calling the
            commandline option doesn't work!

            Best regards,
            Horst
          • loro
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 8, 2006
              Horst Nogajski wrote:
              >This Line was kept automatically from the old installation by
              >upgrading to NTP 5. But it doesn't work. I think this option was
              >removed on behalf of the new Multi-User-functionality.

              Then I'm out of ideas. Odd though, isn't it? If it's possible from the
              command line, shouldn't it be possible in some other way too?

              Lotta