Specialfolder for NTP 5.1 like in NTP 4.95

  • Horst Nogajski
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 6, 2006
      Hi there,

      have upgraded from NTP 4.95 to 5.1 but the folder with all of my
      configurations isn't found. In NTP 4.95 there was an Option under
      Options->Advanced to tell NoteTab where all the files are. Now it
      isn't available anymore. How can I get back this behave?

      Regards,
      Horst
    • loro
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 7, 2006
        Horst Nogajski wrote:
        >have upgraded from NTP 4.95 to 5.1 but the folder with all of my
        >configurations isn't found. In NTP 4.95 there was an Option under
        >Options->Advanced to tell NoteTab where all the files are. Now it
        >isn't available anymore. How can I get back this behave?

        I don't remember if there is a way to change this after you have installed
        Notetab, but I don't think so. If you don't mind reinstalling it, it will
        work if you create its folder beforehand and place an ini file there.
        Either use your old Notepro.ini or just create a blank file with that name.
        If the installer sees the ini it will place the support files in the same
        directory. Installing over version 4 should also work. I don't think there
        is a way to get the option you talk about back.

        Lotta
      • w9zo
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 7, 2006
          --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Horst Nogajski" <newsletters@...> wrote:

          > Hi there,
          >
          > have upgraded from NTP 4.95 to 5.1 but the folder with all of my
          > configurations isn't found. In NTP 4.95 there was an Option under
          > Options->Advanced to tell NoteTab where all the files are. Now it
          > isn't available anymore. How can I get back this behave?
          >
          > Regards,
          > Horst

          Can't you find where the new version is saving the files, and just
          copy the old ones to that folder?
        • Horst Nogajski
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 7, 2006
            Hi Lotta,

            thanks for your answer,

            --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, loro <loro-spam01-@...> wrote:
            > If you don't mind reinstalling it, it will
            > work if you create its folder beforehand and place an ini file there.
            > Either use your old Notepro.ini or just create a blank file with
            that name.
            > If the installer sees the ini it will place the support files in the
            same
            > directory. Installing over version 4 should also work. I don't think
            there
            > is a way to get the option you talk about back.

            In meantime, I've found a solution to get back the old behave:
            As I've read here in the list, there is a commandline option with
            NoteTab 5:
            "C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\notetab.exe" /USER=D:\Data\NoteTab_data

            opens NTP and supports all my old files. But, unfortunatly, to got
            this work with double-clicking a file in explorer or something, I had
            to update all file-associations that points to NTP with this
            commandline option, too. :(

            But now, it works very similar like with NTP 4.x.

            Best regards,
            Horst
          • loro
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 7, 2006
              Horst Nogajski wrote:
              >In meantime, I've found a solution to get back the old behave:
              >As I've read here in the list, there is a commandline option with
              >NoteTab 5:
              >"C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\notetab.exe" /USER=D:\Data\NoteTab_data
              >
              >opens NTP and supports all my old files.

              Ah, you use a custom location. Sorry, I didn't understand that. I have no
              idea if this will work, but in previous versions NTP adds a line to the ini
              file, under the [Application] heading, when you use the Support Files
              Location option. Try to add it manually to Notepro.ini (when Notetab is not
              running) and see what happens. With a little luck it still works...

              [Application]
              MainDirectory=c:\path\to\dir

              If you use the registry instead of the ini, I don't know. But it shouldn't
              be hard to find out if you still have version 4.

              Lotta
            • Horst Nogajski
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 8, 2006
                Hi Lotta,

                --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, loro <loro-spam01-@...> wrote:
                > Ah, you use a custom location. Sorry, I didn't understand that. I
                have no
                > idea if this will work, but in previous versions NTP adds a line to
                the ini
                > file, under the [Application] heading, when you use the Support Files
                > Location option.

                > [Application]
                > MainDirectory=c:\path\to\dir

                This Line was kept automatically from the old installation by
                upgrading to NTP 5. But it doesn't work. I think this option was
                removed on behalf of the new Multi-User-functionality.

                --------------------------------

                Here are some of my experiences:

                The following two options in inifile are of interest if one want to
                have a custom location:

                [Application]
                UseRegistry=0
                UseProfileFolder=1

                This options in combination with the commandline param
                /USER=C:\Path\to\MyCustomfolder
                will work!

                e.g. if "UseProfileFolder=0" is set in inifile, calling the
                commandline option doesn't work!

                Best regards,
                Horst
              • loro
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 8, 2006
                  Horst Nogajski wrote:
                  >This Line was kept automatically from the old installation by
                  >upgrading to NTP 5. But it doesn't work. I think this option was
                  >removed on behalf of the new Multi-User-functionality.

                  Then I'm out of ideas. Odd though, isn't it? If it's possible from the
                  command line, shouldn't it be possible in some other way too?

                  Lotta