EBCDIC to ASCII conversion

  • parskyman
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2, 2006
      I often need to convert files from EBCDIC to ASCII. Whenever I do,
      though, three characters always get translated incorrectly:

      end-of-line becomes Å
      [ character becomes Õ
      ] character becomes þ

      The Help file states that NoteTab can't read files with
      variable-length records, which these are. The thing that surprises me
      about this is that the translation always shows EOL char as that Å
      char, and allows me to replace it with ^P. Rather than having to do
      this all the time, I'd prefer to alter the Default.ebc file, if
      possible, to convert that to ^P automatically. Can this be done?

      Also, while the variable-length limitation explains the EOL char, it
      doesn't explain why the '[' and ']' chars don't get translated
      properly. I've tried various ways of converting these in the
      Default.ebc but haven't had any success there either.

      Any suggestions?