Re: [NTB] Re: Trouble with Quick List

  • Alec Burgess(g)
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 26, 2006
      Hi Corl:

      I remembered the problem, but was too lazy (tired) to check the
      yahoo-archive and/or my personal gmail archive to see if you were in
      fact the Original Poster on that one:(

      It's much better if the communication takes place on one of the Notetab
      lists so everyone can see what's going on and/or offer suggestions. If
      the back-and-forth gets too lengthy Jody may request it get moved to
      off-topic or next-release lists but for now I can't see any reason NOT
      to do it on the main list.

      Hopefully this one won't take as long to resolve as the first
      incarnation did :)

      Regards ... Alec buralex(@gmail)
      --

      xtx222003 said the following on 2006-09-26 13:31:
      > Hi Alec,
      >
      > Yes mapping the network drive did resolve the problem of files
      > opening very slowly, Quick List is pointing at that mapped drive.
      >
      > I'll test 4.95 and see what happens over the next week. I'll let you
      > know what I find out. Shall I let you know here or at your your gmail
      > account?
    • xtx222003
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 27, 2006
        Hi Alec,

        I reinstalled NTP 4.95, Quick List had no problems connecting to the
        folder, even after opening and closing the program dozens of times,
        and neither did 5.1 during this test. But, when I rebooted they BOTH
        had the same trouble with QL not showing me what was in the folder it
        was pointing at until I browsed to another folder and then selected
        the file path I really wanted off the "drop down" of the most
        recently used file paths.

        It has become an essential part of my work with 5.1 that I use Search
        Disk to Find in Files through the Network to the same folder that QL
        is pointing to, and I realized that I could never go back to 4.95 as
        my ability to work came to an immediate halt since it doesn't even
        recognize the mapped drive through Search Disk.

        Thanks for looking at this,
        Corl

        --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Alec Burgess(g)" <buralex@...> wrote:

        > Hi Corl:
        >
        > I remembered the problem, but was too lazy (tired) to check the
        > yahoo-archive and/or my personal gmail archive to see if you were
        in
        > fact the Original Poster on that one:(
        >
        > It's much better if the communication takes place on one of the
        Notetab
        > lists so everyone can see what's going on and/or offer suggestions.
        If
        > the back-and-forth gets too lengthy Jody may request it get moved
        > off-topic or next-release lists but for now I can't see any reason
        NOT
        > to do it on the main list.
        >
        > Hopefully this one won't take as long to resolve as the first
        > incarnation did :)
        >
        > Regards ... Alec buralex(@gmail)
        > --
        >
        > xtx222003 said the following on 2006-09-26 13:31:
        > > Hi Alec,
        > >
        > > Yes mapping the network drive did resolve the problem of files
        > > opening very slowly, Quick List is pointing at that mapped drive.
        > >
        > > I'll test 4.95 and see what happens over the next week. I'll let
        you
        > > know what I find out. Shall I let you know here or at your your
        gmail
        > > account?

      • Alec Burgess(g)
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 27, 2006
          Corl said the following on 2006-09-27 15:40:
          > I reinstalled NTP 4.95, Quick List had no problems connecting to the
          > folder, even after opening and closing the program dozens of times,
          > and neither did 5.1 during this test. But, when I rebooted they BOTH
          > had the same trouble with QL not showing me what was in the folder it
          > was pointing at until I browsed to another folder and then selected
          > the file path I really wanted off the "drop down" of the most
          > recently used file paths.

          This is a genuine WAG (wild-a?s-guess) :) Long winded dissertation follows.
          Maybe your problem has something to do with Windows OS file-caching?

          In earlier versions of Notetab 5.0 (beta-pre-5.0 release) there was a
          problem with Clipbar libraries showing up very slowly the first time a
          Clipbar was activated (one icon would appear, wait, next would appear,
          wait etc. ,etc.)
          If you then changed to another Clipbar its icons would show up slowly
          but if you switched back to the first, its icons would appear "instantly".

          It turned out that this had been a "bug"/"feature" of 4.9x series as well.
          Eric worked his magic and made the bug go-away in the next beta :)

          *Here's the guess*: maybe he's changed the initialization logic (in I
          suspect a background thread) to force ALL possible clipbar icons into
          the Windows file cache so that when requested they appear "instantly"

          In the event that I've guessed correctly, I think you would see that if
          after opening and getting the slow (or rereading what you said the
          non-appearance) of QuickList items and then switch to another
          folder/QuickList and then going back to the first, the first would now
          appear "instantly".

          Please try and test variants on this:)

          Here's a possible workaround: (Definitely not tested, but it may follow
          from the above)
          Windows will reopen any Windows Explorer folders that were open at
          shutdown after reboot.
          Could you try a test: Before Shutdown open a Windows explorer folder(s)
          view so that all possible mapped-files that will appear in any Quick
          List you might invoke, will be shown. Then Shutdown, reboot, observe how
          long it takes for the Windows Explorer folder views to "repopulate".

          Now try going into Notetab and see if there is any improvement:

          Note(1): If there is "some improvement" but not enough that would
          suggest we're on the right track - "somewhere" in Control Panel - System
          there is (I believe) a parameter that you can tweak to control how much
          memory Windows uses for file caching. Tweaking this "might" give
          improvement at the possible expense of other programs swapping out more
          ofter, hence impacting performance.

          Note(2): You say "rebooting". If you're running WinXP you can select
          Logout instead of shutdown, and Logout then immediately Login again.
          This (my observation - no authoritative source) does about 95% of the
          work that a shutdown would do but depending on circumstances somewhat
          faster.
          If any of the above works - try redoing and instead of full Shutdown,
          just do a Logout-Login and see if it works the same.

          I've typed way more than I intended based on just a guess - but one more
          guess: If this all works as I'm supposing, your workaround during
          day-to-day work would be any time you intend to switch to a QuickList
          (who's files are mapped and you haven't used recently) would be to open
          a Windows Explorer folder. You could even create a clip and/or clipbar
          shortcut that given a file or folder spec of one of the files in the
          QuickList would force open a Windows Explorer folder view.

          Anyway -- let me know what results if any you get!

          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 4, 2006
            Hi Alec,

            The last time I had troubles with Quick List, I used Windows Explorer
            to go to the desired folder. As soon as I got there the QL
            immediately populated itself. I made a shortcut to the folder on my
            desktop in case I ever need it as "panic button", but so far I
            haven't needed it, hopefully this will work in the future.

            I haven't been getting slow populating windows since I moved to XP,
            but it was the reason I moved from 98 one year ago.

            Logging out didn't do anything for the situation.

            I've been very cautious about tweaking my system.

            All I know about clip programming is wrapping text with the ^& . I'm
            not even close to being able to write a clip that would force open a
            Windows Explorer folder view, and too little time to learn how.

            Thanks,
            Corl
          • Alec Burgess\(g\)
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 5, 2006
              Hi Corl:

              Can you confirm (or otherwise) that you now have a "workaround" that
              (albeit requiring running Explorer first to force "bad" folders into
              the file cache) "seems" to work once you get into Notetab (having done
              the preparatory work) functions "reasonably" quickly?

              If you could write up a brief reproducible problem statement (explaining
              what your setup is), what happens if you don't do the preparatory
              setup, what happens if you do (sample times both ways) I'll pass it on
              to the beta group. Feel free to include anything I said in past missives
              if it "passes the smell test" from your own experience.

              Note: if you could, please respond to the Next Release yahoo-group [NRN]
              rather than here - Jody (and probably 1,000's of other readers may be
              getting bored with this :( )

              Any other readers (especially the 'guru's) if you could have a look for
              reasonableness and comment I'd appreciate another set of eyes on this.
              Even better would be someone else who can reproduce from Corl's problem
              statement / bug report when he creates it. :)

              Unfortunately, my current system is non-Networked so I can't help with
              the reproducibility issue.

              Note: I suspect that the eventual answer may be something like
              constraints in "whatever" make it impossible to correct this in short
              (or long-term) but we shall see what we shall see!

              Regards ... Alec -- buralex(@gmail))