Re: [NTB] Anyone else running pro on a usb drive?

  • Alan G
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 26, 2006
      On Tue, 26 Sep 2006, "richard.beddard" <richard.beddard@...> wrote
      in part:

      > It works fine. There's only one problem: because the USB drive letter
      > changes depending on which machine it is plugged into, any reference
      > to files is broken because the drive letter is included in the pat. So
      > if you have quicklists they don't work. The only way I've found around
      > it is to plump for a drive letter that is unlikely to be assigned (U
      > for USB) install NotTab so it's looking on the U drive for settings
      > and files and then remember to check the pen drive is the U drive
      > before starting NoteTab (and change it to U if it is not).

      Do you "install" to the USB drive or do you copy the installation
      directory from your hard drive to the USB drive?

      Alan G
    • Richard Beddard
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 26, 2006
        I copied it. Because my existing Favourites were all stored in textfiles
        with the .fvr suffixe I then searched and replaced all the paths with the
        new paths. It's very easy using CTRL+D in NoteTab.

        --
        Richard Beddard
        http://richrach.com/

        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 26, 2006
          Hi Richard,

          >It works fine. There's only one problem: because the USB drive
          >letter changes depending on which machine it is plugged into, any
          >reference to files is broken because the drive letter is included
          >in the pat. So if you have quicklists they don't work. The only
          >way I've found around it is to plump for a drive letter that is
          >unlikely to be assigned (U for USB) install NotTab so it's
          >looking on the U drive for settings and files and then remember
          >to check the pen drive is the U drive before starting NoteTab
          >(and change it to U if it is not).
          >
          >I was wondering if anyone had any more elegant solutions!?

          Try putting a copy of NotePro.ini in the folder on the USB and
          reinstall to it then. All files, settings, Clipbook changes, etc.
          will be done on the USB then just like v4.95 use to act. You
          shouldn't have to, but you might need to delete any of the
          settings made under Application Data folder for NoteTab.

          Happy Tab'n,

        • Richard Beddard
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 26, 2006
            Thanks Jody,

            I tried that and to my horror all my Favourites Quick Lists were gone.
            They're there on the USB Drive (the .fav files) but not in the Quick List
            when I open NoteTab (by double clicking NoteTab.exe).

            But If I click on a shortcut I created following the instructions on this
            page: http://www.notetab.com/whatsnew.php I can see my Favourites in NoteTab
            again. That's because the shortcut contains the following switch:
            "U:\NoteTab Pro\NotePro.exe" /USER="U:\NoteTab Pro"

            I believe this is necessary to point NoteTab to the favourites files on the
            usb drive instead of my c: drive. But an unforunate side-effect is it chains
            me to a particular drive letter. In this case U - which is a pain because
            the drive letter can change depending on what else is plugged into the
            computer and which computer I am using.

            Is there a way around this?

            Richard.

            --
            Richard Beddard
            http://richrach.com/

          • hsavage
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 26, 2006
              richard.beddard wrote:
              > It works fine. There's only one problem: because the USB drive letter
              > changes depending on which machine it is plugged into, any reference
              > to files is broken because the drive letter is included in the pat.
              >
              > I was wondering if anyone had any more elegant solutions!?

              richard,

              A quick solution depends on whether you have everything on the USB, or
              the manner in which you start the executable.

              I have a clip that could, relatively easily, be modified to serve your
              purpose. It all depends on starting the executable, loading a specific
              clipbook at startup and running a particular clip when the clipbook is
              loaded. This clip is invoked every time I start NoteTab, which is every
              time I boot up.

              Give all the pertinent details and minutia and I'll see if I can modify
              the clip for you.

              ºvº
              2006.09.26
              -Newspaper HeadLine...
              "Man Minus Ear Waives Hearing"
              hrs ø hsavage@...
            • Brian Binder
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 26, 2006
                So I'm reading this post over and I decided to take a minute and look at
                this to see if I could help.

                I've invested only a minute into this solution so please don't yell at
                me if I screw this up! :P

                Download Pstart from http://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/pstart

                It's a free app that automatically launches apps from a USB drive (I use
                it everyday) and takes drive letter changes into consideration,
                automatically updating the paths whenever necessary. This happens
                without you knowing or any user intervention. Drive letter issues are
                taken care of for most issues.

                With NoteTab, you still have the problem of specifying a folder for
                everything, seeing as Pstart won't update the ini file for you.

                Try this: Get Pstart configured (it's really easy) and make your
                application shortcut for NoteTab Pro. Instead of using your standard
                shortcut you previously mentioned, use this one instead:
                "whatever your path...\NotePro.exe" /INI=Notepro.ini /USER="\"

                This worked perfectly for me, as everything followed me separate from my
                USB drive. I setup 3 different locations...1 on my D drive, 1 on my C
                drive and 1 on my USB drive.

                Anytime I made changes to each one, the changes stuck with each instance
                of NoteTab.

                Anyways...I don't think I missed anything, but chances are I did. :P
                Hopefully it can get you on the right path for what you are trying to
                accomplish if it doesn't resolve it for you completely.

                Brian

                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 27, 2006
                  Thanks for the pointer to PStart. But, if I use your command line parameters
                  ( "%pdrive%\NoteTab Pro\NotePro.exe" /INI=Notepro.ini /USER="\" ) my
                  QuickList Favourites are completely empty - nothing listed.

                  If I use the parameters I found on the Fookes website ( "%pdrive%:\NoteTab
                  Pro\NotePro.exe" /USER="%pdrive%:\NoteTab Pro" ). It picks up my favourites,
                  the QuickList is populated with the right filenames but the problem is,
                  unless the USB drive is assigned to drive U I can't open any of them. I just
                  get an error message saying 'file "U: etc. not found'

                  The Quicklist favourite file locations are stored in favourites\*.fvr In the
                  form: driveletter:\path\filename.txt. The problem, it seems to me is that
                  when I add a file to a favourite's list (Favourites > Organise > Add
                  Document to Favourites) it adds the file to the .fvr file with the
                  driveletter of the drive in use at the time.

                  I've tried opening the .fvr file and removing the drive letter so the
                  location is just \path\filename.txt and it works fine. The problem is you
                  don't want to do that every time you add a file to a favourites list.

                  Any thoughts? I'm hoping I've done something foolish. I'm going to keep
                  plugging away because I think it's worth it but I'm not particularly
                  technical so help is much appreciated!!

                  PS a couple of other bits of undesirable behaviour:

                  Started from PStart, NoteTab ignored my default file locations, stored in
                  view > options > files. I think that's because they are also stored in the
                  form driveletter:\path . Removing the driveletter so only \path remains
                  seems to work though.

                  Starting from PStart, NoteTab opens an extra file on start up (apart from my
                  favourites) : Notepro.exe i.e. it doesn't just run the executable but opens
                  it!?

                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 27, 2006
                    Thanks for the offer :-) Everything is on the USB - I have no installation
                    on my c: drive any more. I start it from a shortcut with the following
                    command line switch: "U:\NoteTab Pro\NotePro.exe" /USER="U:\NoteTab Pro"
                    which obviously ties me into using a particular drive letter.

                    Richard.

                    --
                    Richard Beddard
                    http://richrach.com/

                  • Richard Beddard
                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 27, 2006
                      Ok... Just so I don't waste any of your time. I've got PStart working
                      beautifully on portable Firefox, Skype and Keepass which is the other
                      software I run from the USB keydrive (It's great). And it works fine for
                      NoteTab, as long as the U drive letter is assigned to the USB. These are the
                      settings:

                      Application file path:
                      NoteTab Pro\NotePro.exe

                      Command line settings
                      /USER="%pdrive%:\NoteTab Pro"

                      The reason it was trying to open the executable (Notepr.exe) as well as
                      start it was (I think) that I had it in both the Application file path and
                      the Command line settings.

                      But I'm still left with this problem (copied and pasted from my earlier
                      message):

                      It picks up my favourites, the QuickList is populated with the right
                      filenames but the problem is, unless the USB drive is assigned to drive U I
                      can't open any of them. I just get an error message saying 'file "U: etc.
                      not found'

                      The Quicklist favourite file locations are stored in favourites\*.fvr In the
                      form: driveletter:\path\filename.txt. The problem, it seems to me is that
                      when I add a file to a favourite's list (Favourites > Organise > Add
                      Document to Favourites) it adds the file to the .fvr file with the
                      driveletter of the drive in use at the time.

                      I've tried opening the .fvr file and removing the drive letter so the
                      location is just \path\filename.txt and it works fine. The problem is you
                      don't want to do that every time you add a file to a favourites list.

                      So if you have any thought's on that I'd be much obliged :-)

                      Richard.

                      --
                      Richard Beddard
                      http://richrach.com/

                    • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
                      Message 10 of 14 , Sep 27, 2006
                        That only makes sense. It is supposed to look in the same place next
                        time. Why not a simple clip to repair your favorites and then open them?

                        Is the .fvr file a moving target as well or can you use a relative file
                        name for that?

                        Is it one favorite per line? Cannot you just search til the : and
                        delete it and everything left of it if found on a line and then launch
                        favorites?

                        Don't forget to snip replies to necessary content please as it keeps the
                        emails reasonable in size :-)

                        Message 11 of 14 , Sep 27, 2006
                          Richard,

                          Sorry - I don't work much with Favorites so I failed to test that...my
                          apologies. I always re-open my documents that I commonly work on by
                          default (when NTP opens) so I've just never explored what the Favorites
                          will offer me at this point.

                          Maybe I'll play with it a little and see what I can do, if anything.

                          Message 12 of 14 , Sep 27, 2006
                            Brian,

                            No worries, I appreciate your efforts. I'll be using PStart so you helped me
                            anyway. The clip idea others have come up with might be the way forward. So
                            my new idea is to develop a clip that operates when NoteTab closes to turn
                            any new favourite paths from absolute to relative. No idea how but if I get
                            stuck I'll ask the question in the clips group!

                            Richard.

                            On 27/09/06, Brian Binder <brian.binder@...> wrote:

                            > Richard,
                            >
                            > Sorry - I don't work much with Favorites so I failed to test that...my
                            > apologies. I always re-open my documents that I commonly work on by
                            > default (when NTP opens) so I've just never explored what the Favorites
                            > will offer me at this point.
                            >
                            > Maybe I'll play with it a little and see what I can do, if anything.
                            >
                            > Richard Beddard wrote:
                            > >

                            > > Thanks for the pointer to PStart. But, if I use your command line
                            > parameters
                            > > ( "%pdrive%\NoteTab Pro\NotePro.exe" /INI=Notepro.ini /USER="\" ) my
                            > > QuickList Favourites are completely empty - nothing listed.
                            > >
                            > > If I use the parameters I found on the Fookes website (
                            > "%pdrive%:\NoteTab
                            > > Pro\NotePro.exe" /USER="%pdrive%:\NoteTab Pro" ). It picks up my
                            > favourites,
                            > > the QuickList is populated with the right filenames but the problem is,
                            > > unless the USB drive is assigned to drive U I can't open any of them. I
                            > just
                            > > get an error message saying 'file "U: etc. not found'
                            > >
                            > > The Quicklist favourite file locations are stored in favourites\*.fvr In
                            > the
                            > > form: driveletter:\path\filename.txt. The problem, it seems to me is
                            > that
                            > > when I add a file to a favourite's list (Favourites > Organise > Add
                            > > Document to Favourites) it adds the file to the .fvr file with the
                            > > driveletter of the drive in use at the time.
                            > >
                            > > I've tried opening the .fvr file and removing the drive letter so the
                            > > location is just \path\filename.txt and it works fine. The problem is
                            > you
                            > > don't want to do that every time you add a file to a favourites list.
                            > >
                            > > Any thoughts? I'm hoping I've done something foolish. I'm going to keep
                            > > plugging away because I think it's worth it but I'm not particularly
                            > > technical so help is much appreciated!!

                            --
                            Richard Beddard
                            http://richrach.com/
                            0771 716 8985

                          • lm_hamilton
                            Message 13 of 14 , Sep 27, 2006
                              I ran into PStart and an Open Source clone calls ASuite. I had been
                              planning to figure out how to get NoteTab running with them. While
                              either one will allow NoteTab to run, it leaves a lot to be desired it
                              you want to use NoteTab to remember your prior settings.

                              The biggest issue is that neither one can re-name the drive letter in
                              the ini or the fvr files. This will require a clip, or manual editing,
                              unless or until Eric adds a launcher to allow NoteTab to work without
                              having to edit INIs and FVRs.

                              Larry Hamilton

                              --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Beddard"