Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Setting tabs

Expand Messages
  • w8tts
    In most word processors you can set tabs at any place you like. Is there a way to do this in NoteTab Pro? For example, is ther a way to set tabs at
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 24, 2006
    • 0 Attachment
      In most word processors you can set tabs at any place you like. Is
      there a way to do this in NoteTab Pro? For example, is ther a way to
      set tabs at positions, 5, 22, 30, and 40?
    • loro
      ... If you use Tab Type: Smart (in Options or Document Properties), tabbing will jump to the next, ahem, natural column. I don t know how to explain this... If
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 24, 2006
      • 0 Attachment
        w8tts wrote:
        >In most word processors you can set tabs at any place you like. Is
        >there a way to do this in NoteTab Pro? For example, is ther a way to
        >set tabs at positions, 5, 22, 30, and 40?

        If you use Tab Type: Smart (in Options or Document Properties), tabbing
        will jump to the next, ahem, natural column. I don't know how to explain
        this... If you type the first line with some text at the position you want,
        like this:
        3 22 30 40
        tabbing on the following line will skip all the blank spaces, similar to
        auto indent. The inserted character won't be a tab, but a series of
        spaces. I like this option for writing tables. The table will look the same
        in other editors, no matter what their tab settings are, as long as a fixed
        font is used.

        Lotta
      • w8tts
        Thanks. That helps, but doesn t do what I want to do. I guess I should have explained that what I want to do is a cut and paste from an Excel spread sheet,
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 24, 2006
        • 0 Attachment
          Thanks. That helps, but doesn't do what I want to do. I guess I
          should have explained that what I want to do is a cut and paste from
          an Excel spread sheet, into NoteTab. In the cut & paste from Excel
          the fields are Tab deliminated, And, I'd like to be able to set the
          tabs after I do the paste, so I can get a good field alignment. Or,
          is there another way.
        • loro
          ... Use real tabs and set the tab size (Document Properties) to something that makes the table look nice. You have to set the tab size high enough for the
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 24, 2006
          • 0 Attachment
            w8tts wrote:
            >Thanks. That helps, but doesn't do what I want to do. I guess I
            >should have explained that what I want to do is a cut and paste from
            >an Excel spread sheet, into NoteTab. In the cut & paste from Excel
            >the fields are Tab deliminated, And, I'd like to be able to set the
            >tabs after I do the paste, so I can get a good field alignment. Or,
            >is there another way.

            Use real tabs and set the tab size (Document Properties) to something that
            makes the table look nice. You have to set the tab size high enough for the
            columns not to get jumbled, a higher value for more cell content and so on.
            I'm not very familiar with Excel, but this worked for me with a little
            trial and error.

            Lotta
          • w8tts
            I haven t been able to get it work the way I want. But, I ll play with it a little more. I d just like to set tabs where I want them, then paste the records
            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 24, 2006
            • 0 Attachment
              I haven't been able to get it work the way I want. But, I'll play
              with it a little more.

              I'd just like to set tabs where I want them, then paste the records
              in, and have them align on the tabs. It's been on my wish list for
              some time. Something the developers might want to look at.
            • Jeff Scism
              Under View and OPTIONS you can set the Tab length, I use 25 to align my Pre- Tabulated data fields. I did find that although NEW docs will have the new tab
              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 24, 2006
              • 0 Attachment
                Under View and OPTIONS you can set the Tab length, I use 25 to align my
                Pre- Tabulated data fields. I did find that although NEW docs will have
                the new tab spacing, docs that you paste too will return to the original
                defaults, and you have to go to Document Properties and check "use
                default" every time (in standard 4.95)Also I toggle word wrap off (Ctrl +W)

                I have a TAB delimited file to HTML Table Clip that people on the
                Clips list made for me and I modified.

                The Clips List is the place to do these issues.

                If you want the clip for converting TDF to HTML Table I will send it
                directly.

                loro wrote:
                > w8tts wrote:
                >> Thanks. That helps, but doesn't do what I want to do. I guess I
                >> should have explained that what I want to do is a cut and paste from
                >> an Excel spread sheet, into NoteTab. In the cut & paste from Excel
                >> the fields are Tab deliminated, And, I'd like to be able to set the
                >> tabs after I do the paste, so I can get a good field alignment. Or,
                >> is there another way.
                >
                > Use real tabs and set the tab size (Document Properties) to something that
                > makes the table look nice. You have to set the tab size high enough for the
                > columns not to get jumbled, a higher value for more cell content and so on.
                > I'm not very familiar with Excel, but this worked for me with a little
                > trial and error.
                >
                > Lotta
                >
                >
                >
                >
                > The NoteTab Clips List: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ntb-clips/
                > The NoteTab Off Topic List: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ntb-offtopic/
                > Fookes Software: http://www.fookes.us, http://www.fookes.com
                >
                > Yahoo! Groups Links
                >
                >
                >
                >
                >
                >
                >
                >
                >
                >
                >
              • Stan Blazejewski
                It seems it can be done in 2 ways... click on document/properties & set the tabs with semi-colons in beteen, eg 5;22;30;40. This will apply to the current
                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 25, 2006
                • 0 Attachment
                  It seems it can be done in 2 ways...
                  click on document/properties & set the tabs with semi-colons in beteen,
                  eg 5;22;30;40. This will apply to the current document.

                  If you want to set the default for all documents just do the same via ...
                  view/options/documents

                  On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 11:49:46 -0000, you wrote:

                  >In most word processors you can set tabs at any place you like. Is
                  >there a way to do this in NoteTab Pro? For example, is ther a way to
                  >set tabs at positions, 5, 22, 30, and 40?
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  >The NoteTab Clips List: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ntb-clips/
                  >The NoteTab Off Topic List: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ntb-offtopic/
                  >Fookes Software: http://www.fookes.us, http://www.fookes.com
                  >
                  >Yahoo! Groups Links
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  --

                  Australia isn't "down under", it's "off to one side"!

                  stanblaz@...
                  www.cobracat.com (home of the Australian Cobra Catamaran)
                  www.parkdaleyc.com (where most of them sail)
                  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/cobra-cat/
                • Stan Blazejewski
                  ... Hey, that s something I could really use. I have been doing excel to HTML a lot more than I d like & that would save a lot of typing. I had a look at the
                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 25, 2006
                  • 0 Attachment
                    On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 17:33:46 -0700, you wrote:

                    >Under View and OPTIONS you can set the Tab length, I use 25 to align my
                    >Pre- Tabulated data fields. I did find that although NEW docs will have
                    >the new tab spacing, docs that you paste too will return to the original
                    >defaults, and you have to go to Document Properties and check "use
                    >default" every time (in standard 4.95)Also I toggle word wrap off (Ctrl +W)
                    >
                    >I have a TAB delimited file to HTML Table Clip that people on the
                    >Clips list made for me and I modified.
                    >
                    >The Clips List is the place to do these issues.
                    >
                    >If you want the clip for converting TDF to HTML Table I will send it
                    >directly.

                    Hey, that's something I could really use. I have been doing excel to HTML a lot
                    more than I'd like & that would save a lot of typing.

                    I had a look at the files section on the NoteTab Clips List but couldn't see
                    anything in the descriptions that sounded like what you're describing.

                    Soooo, could you send me a copy and/or upload to the Clips List?

                    Thanks.

                    --

                    Australia isn't "down under", it's "off to one side"!

                    stanblaz@...
                    www.cobracat.com (home of the Australian Cobra Catamaran)
                    www.parkdaleyc.com (where most of them sail)
                    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/cobra-cat/
                  • w8tts
                    Tried this. First NoteTab would let me type in the ; . Then I did a cut and paste on your string 5;22;30;40 , and it allowed this. I tried all three Type
                    Message 9 of 15 , Sep 25, 2006
                    • 0 Attachment
                      Tried this. First NoteTab would let me type in the ";". Then I did a
                      cut and paste on your string "5;22;30;40", and it allowed this. I
                      tried all three "Type Tabs", Real, Fixed, and Smart. And, no luck.

                      --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Stan Blazejewski <stanblaz@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > It seems it can be done in 2 ways...
                      > click on document/properties & set the tabs with semi-colons in
                      > beteen, eg 5;22;30;40. This will apply to the current document.
                      >
                      > If you want to set the default for all documents just do the same via
                      > ... view/options/documents
                    • w8tts
                      Tried this. First NoteTab wouldn t let me type in the ; . Then I did a cut and paste on your string 5;22;30;40 , and it allowed this. I tried all three Type
                      Message 10 of 15 , Sep 25, 2006
                      • 0 Attachment
                        Tried this. First NoteTab wouldn't let me type in the ";". Then I did a
                        cut and paste on your string "5;22;30;40", and it allowed this. I
                        tried all three "Type Tabs", Real, Fixed, and Smart. And, no luck.

                        --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Stan Blazejewski <stanblaz@...> wrote:
                        >
                        > It seems it can be done in 2 ways...
                        > click on document/properties & set the tabs with semi-colons in
                        > beteen, eg 5;22;30;40. This will apply to the current document.
                        >
                        > If you want to set the default for all documents just do the same via
                        > ... view/options/documents
                      • Stan Blazejewski
                        Looks like we ve found a bug, the help files clearly states ... Tab Size: Text Tab size. You can set multiple tab sizes in NoteTab Std by separating each value
                        Message 11 of 15 , Sep 25, 2006
                        • 0 Attachment
                          Looks like we've found a bug, the help files clearly states ...

                          Tab Size: Text Tab size. You can set multiple tab sizes in NoteTab Std by
                          separating each value with a semi-colon (;). Values must be ordered in
                          increasing sizes and represent the distance from the left margin.

                          I notice it says 'NoteTab Std' but I have 'NoteTab Pro', I surely hope this
                          functionality is not lost in the pro version!


                          On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 10:16:11 -0000, you wrote:

                          >Tried this. First NoteTab wouldn't let me type in the ";". Then I did a
                          >cut and paste on your string "5;22;30;40", and it allowed this. I
                          >tried all three "Type Tabs", Real, Fixed, and Smart. And, no luck.
                          >
                          >--- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Stan Blazejewski <stanblaz@...> wrote:
                          >>
                          >> It seems it can be done in 2 ways...
                          >> click on document/properties & set the tabs with semi-colons in
                          >> beteen, eg 5;22;30;40. This will apply to the current document.
                          >>
                          >> If you want to set the default for all documents just do the same via
                          >> ... view/options/documents
                          >
                          >
                          >
                          >
                          >
                          >
                          >The NoteTab Clips List: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ntb-clips/
                          >The NoteTab Off Topic List: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ntb-offtopic/
                          >Fookes Software: http://www.fookes.us, http://www.fookes.com
                          >
                          >Yahoo! Groups Links
                          >
                          >
                          >
                          >
                          >
                          >
                          >
                          >
                          >
                          --

                          Australia isn't "down under", it's "off to one side"!

                          stanblaz@...
                          www.cobracat.com (home of the Australian Cobra Catamaran)
                          www.parkdaleyc.com (where most of them sail)
                          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/cobra-cat/
                        • w8tts
                          I think your correct, a bug. I ve sent a note directly to support about it, you may want to do the same. Ted
                          Message 12 of 15 , Sep 25, 2006
                          • 0 Attachment
                            I think your correct, a bug. I've sent a note directly to support
                            about it, you may want to do the same.

                            Ted


                            --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Stan Blazejewski <stanblaz@...> wrote:
                            >
                            > Looks like we've found a bug, the help files clearly states ...
                            >
                            > Tab Size: Text Tab size. You can set multiple tab sizes in NoteTab Std
                            > by separating each value with a semi-colon (;). Values must be ordered
                            > in increasing sizes and represent the distance from the left margin.
                            >
                            > I notice it says 'NoteTab Std' but I have 'NoteTab Pro', I surely hope
                            > this functionality is not lost in the pro version!
                            >
                            >
                          • w8tts
                            Here is what I got back from the NoteTab folks. My reply to it was That s ashame. It sure would make working with certain ormatted files much easier. Might
                            Message 13 of 15 , Sep 26, 2006
                            • 0 Attachment
                              Here is what I got back from the NoteTab folks. My reply to it
                              was "That's ashame. It sure would make working with certain ormatted
                              files much easier. Might want to pass it on to the development crew."

                              Ted

                              Jody Adair wrote:
                              > Hi Ted,

                              >> I'm not sure what you mean when you say re-order. But, what I'm
                              >> looking for is a way to set tabs so that when something like a
                              >> tab delimited EXCEL file is pasted, that the fields will align
                              >> better than it does. Something like you can do in any word
                              >> processor.

                              > NoteTab is a text editor and does not have the kind of formatting
                              > like a word processor.

                              >> Someone on the chat told me to try something like 10;35;50;70 in
                              >> the Tab Size box under Document|Properties. This apparently
                              >> works in Light but not Pro. A bug?

                              > No, it is not a bug. Pro uses a different input control that does
                              > not allow for multiple tab stops like you show above. You can
                              > only do that in Std/Light.

                              >> Ted

                              > Sincerely,
                              > Jody Adair
                              > Fookes Software
                              > Customer Service and Technical Support
                            • Stan Blazejewski
                              Unfortunately, it s not a bug. If you check the help file under comparison chart, you ll see that the Pro version is the only one that does not support
                              Message 14 of 15 , Sep 27, 2006
                              • 0 Attachment
                                Unfortunately, it's not a bug. If you check the help file under comparison
                                chart, you'll see that the Pro version is the only one that 'does not' support
                                multiple tabs!

                                On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 11:13:23 -0000, you wrote:

                                >I think your correct, a bug. I've sent a note directly to support
                                >about it, you may want to do the same.
                                >
                                >Ted
                                >
                                >
                                >--- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Stan Blazejewski <stanblaz@...> wrote:
                                >>
                                >> Looks like we've found a bug, the help files clearly states ...
                                >>
                                >> Tab Size: Text Tab size. You can set multiple tab sizes in NoteTab Std
                                >> by separating each value with a semi-colon (;). Values must be ordered
                                >> in increasing sizes and represent the distance from the left margin.
                                >>
                                >> I notice it says 'NoteTab Std' but I have 'NoteTab Pro', I surely hope
                                >> this functionality is not lost in the pro version!
                                >>
                                >>
                                >
                                >
                                >
                                >
                                >
                                >
                                >
                                >The NoteTab Clips List: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ntb-clips/
                                >The NoteTab Off Topic List: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ntb-offtopic/
                                >Fookes Software: http://www.fookes.us, http://www.fookes.com
                                >
                                >Yahoo! Groups Links
                                >
                                >
                                >
                                >
                                >
                                >
                                >
                                >
                                >
                                --

                                Australia isn't "down under", it's "off to one side"!

                                stanblaz@...
                                www.cobracat.com (home of the Australian Cobra Catamaran)
                                www.parkdaleyc.com (where most of them sail)
                                http://groups.yahoo.com/group/cobra-cat/
                              • Stan Blazejewski
                                ... I ve asked then why Pro is the only version that doesn t support multiple tabs .. waiting for a reply. ... -- Australia isn t down under , it s off to
                                Message 15 of 15 , Sep 27, 2006
                                • 0 Attachment
                                  On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 14:11:02 -0000, you wrote:

                                  >Here is what I got back from the NoteTab folks. My reply to it
                                  >was "That's ashame. It sure would make working with certain ormatted
                                  >files much easier. Might want to pass it on to the development crew."

                                  I've asked then why 'Pro' is the only version that doesn't support multiple tabs
                                  .. waiting for a reply.

                                  >
                                  >Ted
                                  >
                                  >Jody Adair wrote:
                                  >> Hi Ted,
                                  >
                                  >>> I'm not sure what you mean when you say re-order. But, what I'm
                                  >>> looking for is a way to set tabs so that when something like a
                                  >>> tab delimited EXCEL file is pasted, that the fields will align
                                  >>> better than it does. Something like you can do in any word
                                  >>> processor.
                                  >
                                  >> NoteTab is a text editor and does not have the kind of formatting
                                  >> like a word processor.
                                  >
                                  >>> Someone on the chat told me to try something like 10;35;50;70 in
                                  >>> the Tab Size box under Document|Properties. This apparently
                                  >>> works in Light but not Pro. A bug?
                                  >
                                  >> No, it is not a bug. Pro uses a different input control that does
                                  >> not allow for multiple tab stops like you show above. You can
                                  >> only do that in Std/Light.
                                  >
                                  >>> Ted
                                  >
                                  >> Sincerely,
                                  >> Jody Adair
                                  >> Fookes Software
                                  >> Customer Service and Technical Support
                                  >
                                  >
                                  >
                                  >
                                  >
                                  >
                                  >The NoteTab Clips List: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ntb-clips/
                                  >The NoteTab Off Topic List: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ntb-offtopic/
                                  >Fookes Software: http://www.fookes.us, http://www.fookes.com
                                  >
                                  >Yahoo! Groups Links
                                  >
                                  >
                                  >
                                  >
                                  >
                                  >
                                  >
                                  >
                                  >
                                  --

                                  Australia isn't "down under", it's "off to one side"!

                                  stanblaz@...
                                  www.cobracat.com (home of the Australian Cobra Catamaran)
                                  www.parkdaleyc.com (where most of them sail)
                                  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/cobra-cat/
                                Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.