Re: [NTB] Could someone look over my website

  • John Zeman
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 9, 2006

      http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fgpayne2.home.mindspring.com%2Findex.html

      > Second, it contains many deprecated elements.
      >
      > Third, CSS is under-utilized.

      To follow up on what sister said, here is the CSE HTML Professional 8
      (beta) analysis output of your page. Note you will need to turn your
      NoteTab word wrap off in order for the line numbers to match the
      Validator's line numbers.

      John

      Validator message export for
      "http://gpayne2.home.mindspring.com/index.html":
      Generated by CSE HTML Validator Professional v8.00 BETA 1C
      (http://www.htmlvalidator.com/)

      1. Message: (Accessibility->Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 1.0)
      [73] WCAG 1.0 accessibility checking is disabled.

      2. Message: (Accessibility->Section 508 Accessibility Standards) [73]
      Section 508 accessibility checking is disabled.

      3. Message in line 4 at character 2: (Grouped->Search Engine) Tip - A
      good title is very important for search engine listings. Use many
      keywords and search terms in the title but make it readable. Don't
      just stuff keywords in the title. The title should also be something
      that a user will want to click on when it's listed on a search engine.
      A good title is also important when a visitor bookmarks a page.
      Example: <title>Download CSE HTML Validator - Powerful HTML and Link
      Checking Software for Windows</title>. AI Internet Solutions also
      recommends that the "title" tag be the first tag inside the "head"
      section.

      4. Message in line 4 at character 8: (Grouped->Search Engine) [8] This
      document's title contains only 3 words. It may be inadequate for
      search engine purposes. A good title is important to your search
      engine rankings and listings. AI Internet Solutions recommends a title
      that is 5-15 words in length and that contains a relevant and
      descriptive phrase. The title should also contain keywords and search
      terms while remaining readable.

      5. Warning in line 6 at character 91: For backward compatibility with
      HTML, use a space character before the '/' character.

      6. Warning in line 7 at character 52: For backward compatibility with
      HTML, use a space character before the '/' character.

      7. Warning in line 8 at character 160: For backward compatibility with
      HTML, use a space character before the '/' character.

      8. Error in line 11 at character 78: The hexadecimal color value for
      the "alink" attribute is missing the '#' character. Use alink="#ffcc00".

      9. Message in line 11 at character 7: (Grouped->Deprecated) [9] The
      "background", "bgcolor", "text", "link", "vlink", and "alink"
      attributes for the "body" element are deprecated in HTML 4.01 and
      XHTML in favor of using style sheets. Instead of the "alink"
      attribute, consider using the CSS pseudo-class ":active". Example:
      "a:active {color: ffcc00}". Instead of the "bgcolor" attribute,
      consider using the CSS property "background-color". Example:
      style="background-color: #00aaFF". Instead of the "link" attribute,
      consider using the CSS pseudo-class ":link". Example: "a:link {color:
      #000fff}". Instead of the "text" attribute, consider using the CSS
      property "color". Example: style="color: #ffffff". Instead of the
      "vlink" attribute, consider using the CSS pseudo-class ":visited".
      Example: "a:visited {color: #008800}".

      10. Warning in line 12 at character 33: Typefaces from more than one
      family were given. Typically, for a consistent look, the typefaces
      should all be from the same font family. Number of serif family
      typefaces: 1 ("Times New Roman"), sans-serif: 2 ("Helvetica",
      "Arial"), cursive: 0, fantasy: 0, monospace: 1 ("Courier New"). The
      following typeface was not recognized (check spelling): "Sans Serif".

      11. Error in line 12 at character 115: The "size" attribute has an
      invalid attribute value "+7". Try using one of the following values:
      an integer offset from -6 to +6 or an integer from 1 to 7.

      12. Message in line 12 at character 6: (Grouped->Deprecated) [9] The
      "align" attribute is deprecated in HTML 4.01 and XHTML in favor of
      using style sheets. Instead of align="center", consider using the CSS
      "text-align: center" instead.

      13. Message in line 12 at character 22: (Grouped->Deprecated) [9] The
      "font" element and all of its attributes are deprecated in HTML 4.01
      and XHTML in favor of using style sheets (use the "color", "font",
      "font-family", "font-size", and other CSS font properties instead).

      14. Message in line 12 at character 33: The following typeface may not
      be available on a significant number of browsers: "Sans Serif". Also,
      check the spelling of the typeface name.

      15. Message in line 14 at character 33: Typefaces from more than one
      family were given. Typically, for a consistent look, the typefaces
      should all be from the same font family. Number of serif family
      typefaces: 1 ("Times New Roman"), sans-serif: 2 ("Helvetica",
      "Arial"), cursive: 0, fantasy: 0, monospace: 1 ("Courier New").

      16. Warning in line 15 at character 44: For backward compatibility
      with HTML, use a space character before the '/' character.

      17. Warning in line 15 at character 49: For backward compatibility
      with HTML, use a space character before the '/' character.

      18. Error in line 16 at character 95: The attribute value "black" for
      the "color" attribute was not enclosed in single or double quotation
      marks when it must be. In HTML 4.01, attribute values containing
      characters other than A-Z, a-z, 0-9, hyphens, periods, underscores,
      and colons must be quoted. In XHTML/XML, all attribute values must be
      quoted. Quotes are recommended even if they are not required.

      19. Error in line 16 at character 112: The end tag for "font" (opened
      in line 16) should appear before the end tag for "a" (nesting error).

      20. Warning in line 18 at character 4: For backward compatibility with
      HTML, use a space character before the '/' character.

      21. Warning in line 20 at character 2: The HTML 4.01 specification
      states that it is a common error to include two or more adjacent
      hyphens in comments (between <!-- and -->). This error is also carried
      over to XHTML in the XML recommendation. You may want to consider
      removing these extra hyphens or placing spaces between them. However,
      in practice, it does not appear that this causes problems in browsers,
      so you may also want to consider disabling this message and ignoring
      this issue (but this is not recommended).

      22. Warning in line 23 at character 4: For backward compatibility with
      HTML, use a space character before the '/' character.

      23. Error in line 25 at character 135: Found an ampersand '&' but
      could not find a following semicolon for a properly formed character
      reference. If you want to actually display an ampersand, such as in
      "Recreation & Sports", then use the character entity reference "&"
      as in "Recreation & Sports" (see comment).

      24. Error in line 29 at character 109: Found an ampersand '&' but
      could not find a following semicolon for a properly formed character
      reference. If you want to actually display an ampersand, such as in
      "Recreation & Sports", then use the character entity reference "&"
      as in "Recreation & Sports" (see comment).

      25. Error in line 29 at character 133: Found an ampersand '&' but
      could not find a following semicolon for a properly formed character
      reference. If you want to actually display an ampersand, such as in
      "Recreation & Sports", then use the character entity reference "&"
      as in "Recreation & Sports" (see comment).

      26. Warning in line 29 at character 201: For backward compatibility
      with HTML, use a space character before the '/' character.

      27. Error in line 32 at character 213: Found an ampersand '&' but
      could not find a following semicolon for a properly formed character
      reference. If you want to actually display an ampersand, such as in
      "Recreation & Sports", then use the character entity reference "&"
      as in "Recreation & Sports" (see comment).

      28. Error in line 34 at character 123: The attribute value "gold" for
      the "color" attribute was not enclosed in single or double quotation
      marks when it must be. In HTML 4.01, attribute values containing
      characters other than A-Z, a-z, 0-9, hyphens, periods, underscores,
      and colons must be quoted. In XHTML/XML, all attribute values must be
      quoted. Quotes are recommended even if they are not required.

      29. Error in line 34 at character 202: The end tag for "font" (opened
      in line 34) should appear before the end tag for "h3" (nesting error).

      30. Warning in line 36 at character 4: For backward compatibility with
      HTML, use a space character before the '/' character.

      31. Warning in line 37 at character 4: For backward compatibility with
      HTML, use a space character before the '/' character.

      32. Error in line 39 at character 13: The attribute value "yellow" for
      the "color" attribute was not enclosed in single or double quotation
      marks when it must be. In HTML 4.01, attribute values containing
      characters other than A-Z, a-z, 0-9, hyphens, periods, underscores,
      and colons must be quoted. In XHTML/XML, all attribute values must be
      quoted. Quotes are recommended even if they are not required.

      33. Error in line 39 at character 215: The "font" tag must have an end
      tag (</font>) but the end tag was not found. In XHTML, all elements
      not declared as empty (like "b", "p", "span", etc.) must have an end
      tag. Elements declared as empty (like "br", "img", "input", etc.) can
      have an end tag or can use the empty element shorthand.

      34. Error in line 39 at character 226: The attribute value "black" for
      the "color" attribute was not enclosed in single or double quotation
      marks when it must be. In HTML 4.01, attribute values containing
      characters other than A-Z, a-z, 0-9, hyphens, periods, underscores,
      and colons must be quoted. In XHTML/XML, all attribute values must be
      quoted. Quotes are recommended even if they are not required.

      35. Error in line 39 at character 308: The attribute value "black" for
      the "color" attribute was not enclosed in single or double quotation
      marks when it must be. In HTML 4.01, attribute values containing
      characters other than A-Z, a-z, 0-9, hyphens, periods, underscores,
      and colons must be quoted. In XHTML/XML, all attribute values must be
      quoted. Quotes are recommended even if they are not required.

      36. Error in line 39 at character 376: The attribute value "white" for
      the "color" attribute was not enclosed in single or double quotation
      marks when it must be. In HTML 4.01, attribute values containing
      characters other than A-Z, a-z, 0-9, hyphens, periods, underscores,
      and colons must be quoted. In XHTML/XML, all attribute values must be
      quoted. Quotes are recommended even if they are not required.

      37. Warning in line 40 at character 4: For backward compatibility with
      HTML, use a space character before the '/' character.

      38. Warning in line 46 at character 4: For backward compatibility with
      HTML, use a space character before the '/' character.

      39. Error in line 48 at character 33: The attribute value "white" for
      the "color" attribute was not enclosed in single or double quotation
      marks when it must be. In HTML 4.01, attribute values containing
      characters other than A-Z, a-z, 0-9, hyphens, periods, underscores,
      and colons must be quoted. In XHTML/XML, all attribute values must be
      quoted. Quotes are recommended even if they are not required.

      40. Error in line 48 at character 60: The end tag for "font" (opened
      in line 48) should appear before the end tag for "div" (nesting error).

      41. Error in line 51 at character 2: The "td" element cannot be used
      here. It is not contained in an element that allows its use. This
      element may be contained in "tr".

      42. Warning in line 51 at character 791: For backward compatibility
      with HTML, use a space character before the '/' character.

      43. Warning in line 51 at character 796: For backward compatibility
      with HTML, use a space character before the '/' character.

      44. Error in line 62 at character 13: The attribute value "white" for
      the "color" attribute was not enclosed in single or double quotation
      marks when it must be. In HTML 4.01, attribute values containing
      characters other than A-Z, a-z, 0-9, hyphens, periods, underscores,
      and colons must be quoted. In XHTML/XML, all attribute values must be
      quoted. Quotes are recommended even if they are not required.

      45. Message in line 63 at character 180: (Grouped->Good Style) [7] The
      "height" and "width" attributes should be used with the "img" element.
      Using these attributes generally result in faster and smoother (less
      jumpy) rendering. Using them is also considered to be good style.

      46. Error in line 67 at character 2: The end tag for "h4" (opened in
      line 49) should appear before the end tag for "body" (nesting error).

      47. Error in line 68: Terminating validation due to too many errors.
      Please correct the previous errors and recheck the document. HTML
      Validator is currently set to stop after 20 errors.

      48. Comment: CSE HTML Validator Professional 8.00 BETA 1C expires on
      December 31, 2006, 112.36 days from now. Note that BETA versions
      always expire, even if registered.

      49. Comment: (Accessibility->Accessibility Tips) This program can help
      you make your web pages more accessible. An accessible page is one
      that more individuals can use, such as individuals who are blind or
      deaf. It can also increase the usefulness of your web page for
      individuals who browse the web using slower devices like older
      computers or wireless devices like cell phones and PDAs. An accessible
      web site makes good business sense (and possibly good legal sense as
      well). You can enable or disable accessibility checking in the
      Validator Engine Options.

      50. Comment: (Grouped->Search Engine) If you're concerned about top
      search engine rankings, visit http://www.htmlvalidator.com/seo.html

      51. Comment: You can disable all the error messages for improperly
      quoted attribute values by having HTML Validator ignore and disregard
      the quotation mark requirements for attribute values. This option is
      in CSE HTML Validator's Validator Engine Options. However, it is
      recommended that you leave these error messages enabled and that you
      properly enclose attribute values in quotation marks.

      52. Comment: You can use the Quick Quote Tool in the editor to quickly
      enclose all attribute values in quotation marks.

      53. Comment: You can ignore the nesting errors by turning off the
      option to check HTML tag nesting. However, it is recommended that you
      leave this feature enabled. This option is in CSE HTML Validator's
      Validator Engine Options.

      54. Comment: The ampersand '&' is an escape character in HTML. If you
      want to actually use the ampersand in your HTML document, then the
      character entity reference '&' should be used instead of the
      actual ampersand character.

      55. Comment: Possibly misspelled words (2, 2 unique): WebCams (1x),
      YOSEMITE (1x). Complete list.

      56. Comment: You can change the maximum number of error messages to
      display before the validation is terminated. This option is in CSE
      HTML Validator's Validator Engine Options.

      57. Comment: XHTML 1.0 Transitional document detected.

      58. Comment: [24] The XHTML recommendation strongly encourages that an
      XML declaration be used as the first line (line 1) of every XHTML
      document. For example, for XHTML and WML documents, something similar
      to <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> or simply <?xml
      version="1.0"?> should be the first line. If you are using HTML
      Validator's integrated editor, then you can add this from the Tags
      menu and/or from the Tag Inserter. However, in practice, correctly
      using an XML declaration may cause problems, such as triggering
      Internet Explorer 6's "quirks" mode (which causes non-standards
      compliant rendering). Because of this, you may not want to use an XML
      declaration. If you don't, then specify the character encoding in the
      "head" section with a meta tag such as <meta http-equiv="Content-Type"
      content="text/html; charset=us-ascii" />

      59. Comment: (Grouped->Search Engine) [113] Random Search Engine Tip
      #16 - Don't use "&id=" as a parameter in URLs as some search engines
      like Google won't include these URLs in their listings.

      60. Comment: (Grouped->Search Engine) [8] <meta name="description"
      content="(actual description)" /> should be used in the "head" section
      to provide a brief description of what is contained on this page. This
      information is used by many search engines when indexing a site. If
      you are using HTML Validator's integrated editor, then you can add
      this from the Tags menu and/or from the Tag Inserter.

      61. Comment: An ICRA RDF label was not found in the "head" section of
      this document. Browsers that are enabled with this rating system may
      not display documents that have not been labelled. It is recommended
      that every page include an ICRA label. For more information, please
      visit http://www.icra.org/.

      62. Comment: [10] CSE HTML Validator Std/Pro allows you to disable
      certain messages (like this example message) and groups of related
      messages by disabling flags. For instance, the [10] at the beginning
      of this message indicates that you can disable this message by
      disabling validator flag 10. If you are using HTML Validator's
      integrated editor, then you can simply use your mouse on this message
      to open the context menu (usually done by right-clicking the mouse on
      this message) and select 'Disable Flag 10' to disable this message.
      For more information about disabling messages, please look at the
      Configuration section in the documentation.

      63. Comment: CSE HTML Validator Std/Pro allows you to disable many
      messages on an individual basis without using flags. For instance, you
      can disable this message by using HTML Validator's integrated editor
      to open the context menu for this message (usually done by
      right-clicking the mouse on this message) and selecting 'Options for
      this Message->Disable Message' to disable this message. For more
      information about disabling messages, please look at the Configuration
      section in the documentation.

      64. Comment: 6658 bytes; 4.6s@14.4Kbps, 2.3s@28.8, 1.3s@50, 1.0s@64,
      0.5s@128, 0.2s@384, 0.1s@512, 0.1s@768, 0.0s@1.5Mbps, 0.0s@10Mbps.

      65. Comment: 0.06s, 21 errors, 16 warnings, 10 messages, 18 validator
      comments, 68 lines, 62 tags (43 closed), 6 document comments, 220
      entities, 193 programs run.
    • Patricia Tidmarsh
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 9, 2006
        Could you supply a couple of URLs for up-to-date designs with CSS.
        Thanks

        On Sat, 9 Sep 2006, sisterscape wrote:

        > First off, the code doesn't validate -
        > http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fgpayne2.home.mindspring.com%2Findex.html
        >
        > Second, it contains many deprecated elements.
        >
        > Third, CSS is under-utilized.
        >
        > You didn't ask but . . . aesthetically, the look is very retro,
        > mid-90s. The colors are a bit too vibrant for my taste and hurt my
        > eyes.
        > And sorry but I can't really say there is a design there at all.
        >
        > Can't comments on the pages you requested because all the links are
        > bringing up a 500 Internal Server Error. I am even unable to access
        > your style sheet.
        >
        > sisterscaoe
        >
        > --- gane423 <gane423@...> wrote:
        >
        >> at http://gpayne2.home.mindspring.com/index.html
        >>
        >> and see if anything serious is wrong with the Source coding,
        >> Particularly for the "Family Pictures" and "Radio" pages and how what
        >>
        >> problems are found could be fixed?
        >>
        >> Using NoteTab Light 4.95 (Freeware version).

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Margaret Peloquin
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 9, 2006
          Most commercial and university sites now use CSS so examples are all over the
          place. One of my favorite places to see the power of CSS is
          http://www.csszengarden.com/
          There you can see the same page information rendered to look different with a
          variety of style sheets (CSS).

          If you want to learn more about CSS, here are some places to start:
          http://www.w3schools.com/css/default.asp
          http://www.westciv.com/style_master/academy/hands_on_tutorial/index.html

          --
          === Margaret Peloquin, Head Librarian Eastview ===
          === Austin Community College, Austin, Texas ===
          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 9, 2006
            Another good site for some basic templates to get you started is:

            http://www.code-sucks.com/css%20layouts/index.php

            Lee

            On 9/9/2006 07:23 PM, Patricia Tidmarsh wrote:

            >Could you supply a couple of URLs for up-to-date designs with CSS.
            >Thanks

          • sisterscape
            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 9, 2006
              You can judge for yourself how "up-to-date" they are but all my sites
              are 99.9% tableless, with CSS separated from HTML markup. You can
              browse from this page - http://www.eartherdesigns.com/portfolio.html
              Take a look at the style sheets too.

              Keep in mind that I'm not designing much anymore so don't know quite
              what they're doing in current browser versions. I did see a problem
              with IE 7 on one of them that I'm hoping M$ will fix before the final
              release.

              sisterscape

              --- Patricia Tidmarsh <patricia@...> wrote:

              > Could you supply a couple of URLs for up-to-date designs with CSS.
              > Thanks
              >

              > On Sat, 9 Sep 2006, sisterscape wrote:
              >
              > > First off, the code doesn't validate -

              http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fgpayne2.home.mindspring.com%2Findex.html

              > > Second, it contains many deprecated elements.
              > >
              > > Third, CSS is under-utilized.
              > >
              > > You didn't ask but . . . aesthetically, the look is very retro,
              > > mid-90s. The colors are a bit too vibrant for my taste and hurt my
              > > eyes.
              > > And sorry but I can't really say there is a design there at all.
              > >
              > > Can't comments on the pages you requested because all the links are
              > > bringing up a 500 Internal Server Error. I am even unable to
              > access
              > > your style sheet.
              > >
              > > sisterscaoe
              > >
              > > --- gane423 <gane423@...> wrote:
              > >
              > >> at http://gpayne2.home.mindspring.com/index.html
              > >>
              > >> and see if anything serious is wrong with the Source coding,
              > >> Particularly for the "Family Pictures" and "Radio" pages and how
              > what
              > >>
              > >> problems are found could be fixed?
              > >>
              > >> Using NoteTab Light 4.95 (Freeware version).

              > > Yahoo! Groups Links

              > The NoteTab Off Topic List:
              >
              > Yahoo! Groups Links

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • sisterscape
              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 9, 2006
                Yes, Zen Garden is the BEST example of all. I should have thought of it
                myself . . . I really am out of the designing loop these days . . .
                LOL!!

                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 9, 2006
                  OK, I started thinking about this question a little more . . .

                  Here's one more very useful URL - http://www.pmob.co.uk/ The site
                  itself is not the point. But the list of the CSS tips and tricks
                  (including layouts) is about the best available. It is pure genius!

                  sisterscape

                  --- Patricia Tidmarsh <patricia@...> wrote:

                  > Could you supply a couple of URLs for up-to-date designs with CSS.
                  > Thanks

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • Lee Underwood
                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 9, 2006
                    I couldn't get the URL to load ... problem on my end?

                    Lee

                    Message 9 of 16 , Sep 9, 2006
                      Pops right up here. :)

                      --- Lee Underwood <leeu@...> wrote:

                      > I couldn't get the URL to load ... problem on my end?
                      >
                      > Lee
                      >

                      > On 9/9/2006 11:58 PM, sisterscape wrote:
                      >
                      > >OK, I started thinking about this question a little more . . .
                      > >
                      > >Here's one more very useful URL - http://www.pmob.co.uk/ The site
                      > >itself is not the point. But the list of the CSS tips and tricks
                      > >(including layouts) is about the best available. It is pure genius!
                      > >
                      > >sisterscape

                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                    • Lee Underwood
                      Message 10 of 16 , Sep 10, 2006
                        Ah, it's working now. Thanks!

                        Lee

                        On 9/10/2006 01:52 AM, sisterscape wrote:

                        >Pops right up here. :)
                        >
                        >--- Lee Underwood <leeu@...> wrote:
                        >
                        > > I couldn't get the URL to load ... problem on my end?
                        > >
                        > > Lee
                        > >

                        > > On 9/9/2006 11:58 PM, sisterscape wrote:
                        > >
                        > > >OK, I started thinking about this question a little more . . .
                        > > >
                        > > >Here's one more very useful URL - http://www.pmob.co.uk/ The site
                        > > >itself is not the point. But the list of the CSS tips and tricks
                        > > >(including layouts) is about the best available. It is pure genius!
                        > > >
                        > > >sisterscape

                        >Yahoo! Groups Links
                        >

                        >--
                      • gane423
                        Message 11 of 16 , Sep 11, 2006
                          That is odd about not being able to access it -- don't know what to
                          suggest. This is first time I've tried to put up a site, so naturally I
                          guess, has a lot of errors.

                          Finally got into the W3 validator site, and found a few pages of things
                          wrong -- including a couple where major error seemed to be I'd typed in
                            instead of   :)

                          Question: I thought I was using css on my site, what with the line in
                          the index page source code which includes

                          mindspring.com/style.css" type="text/css" rel="stylesheet"/>

                          so to convert to css I'd have to take the site down & completely redo
                          it, or what?
                        • sisterscape
                          Message 12 of 16 , Sep 11, 2006
                            I am now able to access the links on your site but still not the style
                            sheet at - http://gpayne2.Home.mindspring.com/style.css . . . getting a
                            page not found. So I can't check what you have going on in your CSS.

                            You wouldn't have to take the site down to improve the code. Just
                            revise one page at a time and overwrtite what you currently have up.

                            All of these tags (and all similar ones) are deprecated. The attributes
                            should instead be set in the CSS.

                            alink="ffcc00">
                            color="#ffff00" size="+1">

                            Likewise huge chunks of   can be eliminated by setting margins on
                            various elements in the CSS. All these changes will make the code much
                            cleaner and up-to-date.

                            sisterscape

                            PS You can put an   into a document by clicking on the "non
                            breaking space" under "other elements" in the HTML clipbook library.
                            No need to do a lot of typing. ;)

                            http://mail.yahoo.com
                            Message 13 of 16 , Sep 11, 2006
                              Hi gane423,

                              Could you all bring this discussion over to the HTML list please? You can
                              signup for it at the bottom on any [NTB] message.

                              >at http://gpayne2.home.mindspring.com/index.html
                              >
                              >and see if anything serious is wrong with the Source coding,
                              >Particularly for the "Family Pictures" and "Radio" pages and how what
                              >problems are found could be fixed?

                              I've got Fookesability!
                              Although at times, no sensibility. <g>
                              http://clean-funnies.com