Re: [NTB] Could someone look over my website

  • dave
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 9, 2006
      Hi
      your family pic page is the best of the lot.
      The radio page is a bit spacey. I would go something like below ,put a break
      after Radio and take the spaces out ,anybody with a different size than
      yours the page comes out weird

      FCC AM Broadcast Radio
      Federal Communications Commission's database on station's location,
      owners, power, Antennas, for all USA Broadcast Band Radio Stations, plus
      links to other sections of their site.

      THANKYOU DAVE M

      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 9, 2006
        Here are the CSE Validator results for your picture page. The free version
        of CSE can be found here:
        http://www.htmlvalidator.com/lite/

        Validator message export for
        "http://gpayne2.home.mindspring.com/pictures.html":
        Generated by CSE HTML Validator Professional v7.01
        (http://www.htmlvalidator.com/)

        1. Message: (Accessibility->Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 1.0) [73]
        WCAG 1.0 accessibility checking is disabled.

        2. Message: (Accessibility->Section 508 Accessibility Standards) [73]
        Section 508 accessibility checking is disabled.

        3. Message in line 4 at character 2: (Grouped->Search Engine) [111] Tip - A
        good title is very important for search engine listings. Use many keywords
        and search terms in your title tag but make it readable. It should also be
        something that a user will want to click on when it's listed on a search
        engine. A good title is also important when a visitor bookmarks a page.
        Example: <title>Download CSE HTML Validator - Powerful HTML and Link
        Checking Software for Windows</title>.

        4. Warning in line 6 at character 91: For backward compatibility with HTML,
        use a space character before the '/' character.

        5. Warning in line 7 at character 52: For backward compatibility with HTML,
        use a space character before the '/' character.

        6. Warning in line 8 at character 127: For backward compatibility with HTML,
        use a space character before the '/' character.

        7. Message in line 8 at character 32: (Grouped->Search Engine) [107] The
        keywords contain only 94 characters. AI Internet Solutions recommends a
        minimum of 100 characters. The recommended maximum is 800 characters.
        Consider increasing the number of keywords.

        8. Error in line 11 at character 78: The hexadecimal color value for the
        "alink" attribute is missing the '#' character. Use alink="#ffcc00".

        9. Message in line 11 at character 7: (Grouped->Deprecated) [9] The
        "background", "bgcolor", "text", "link", "vlink", and "alink" attributes for
        the "body" element are deprecated in HTML 4.01 and XHTML in favor of using
        style sheets. Instead of the "alink" attribute, consider using the CSS
        pseudo-class ":active". Example: "a:active {color: ffcc00}". Instead of the
        "bgcolor" attribute, consider using the CSS property "background-color".
        Example: style="background-color: #00aaFF". Instead of the "link" attribute,
        consider using the CSS pseudo-class ":link". Example: "a:link {color:
        #000fff}". Instead of the "text" attribute, consider using the CSS property
        "color". Example: style="color: #ffffff". Instead of the "vlink" attribute,
        consider using the CSS pseudo-class ":visited". Example: "a:visited {color:
        #008800}".

        10. Error in line 12 at character 115: The "size" attribute has an invalid
        attribute value "+7". Try using one of the following values: an integer
        offset from -6 to +6 or an integer from 1 to 7.

        11. Message in line 12 at character 6: (Grouped->Deprecated) [9] The "align"
        attribute is deprecated in HTML 4.01 and XHTML in favor of using style
        sheets. Instead of align="center", consider using the CSS "text-align:
        center" instead.

        12. Message in line 12 at character 22: (Grouped->Deprecated) [9] The "font"
        element and all of its attributes are deprecated in HTML 4.01 and XHTML in
        favor of using style sheets (use the "color", "font", "font-family",
        "font-size", and other CSS font properties instead).

        13. Warning in line 13 at character 28: For backward compatibility with
        HTML, use a space character before the '/' character.

        14. Warning in line 14 at character 4: For backward compatibility with HTML,
        use a space character before the '/' character.

        15. Warning in line 16 at character 47: For backward compatibility with
        HTML, use a space character before the '/' character.

        16. Warning in line 16 at character 52: For backward compatibility with
        HTML, use a space character before the '/' character.

        17. Warning in line 19 at character 4: For backward compatibility with HTML,
        use a space character before the '/' character.

        18. Error in line 20 at character 2: The "table" tag must have an end tag
        but the end tag was not found.

        19. Message in line 20 at character 2: (Grouped->General Compatibility) [5]
        The "table" element is an official HTML 4.01 and XHTML element but may not
        be supported by older or nongraphical browsers. Furthermore, nongraphical
        browsers that do support tables may not support them the way that you
        expect. However, most browsers used today should support this element.

        20. Error in line 21 at character 2: The "tr" tag must have an end tag but
        the end tag was not found.

        21. Warning in line 23 at character 156: [64] An invalid entity was found in
        the value for the "alt" attribute. Often this is because the ampersand
        character was not properly encoded as the entity "&". Example 1:
        href="script.cgi?var1=value&var2=value" should be
        href="script.cgi?var1=value&var2=value", example 2: alt="For him & her"
        should be alt="For him & her". Note that the ampersand in the values was
        encoded as "&".

        22. Warning in line 23 at character 379: For backward compatibility with
        HTML, use a space character before the '/' character.

        23. Warning in line 23 at character 384: For backward compatibility with
        HTML, use a space character before the '/' character.

        24. Warning in line 23 at character 519: For backward compatibility with
        HTML, use a space character before the '/' character.

        25. Message in line 23 at character 5: (Grouped->Deprecated) [9] The
        "height" and "width" attributes for the "td" and "th" elements are
        deprecated in HTML 4.01 and XHTML in favor of using style sheets.

        26. Warning in line 25 at character 154: [64] An invalid entity was found in
        the value for the "alt" attribute. Often this is because the ampersand
        character was not properly encoded as the entity "&". Example 1:
        href="script.cgi?var1=value&var2=value" should be
        href="script.cgi?var1=value&var2=value", example 2: alt="For him & her"
        should be alt="For him & her". Note that the ampersand in the values was
        encoded as "&".

        27. Warning in line 25 at character 449: For backward compatibility with
        HTML, use a space character before the '/' character.

        28. Warning in line 25 at character 454: For backward compatibility with
        HTML, use a space character before the '/' character.

        29. Error in line 25 at character 462: The character reference "  "
        is not recognized. Did you misspell it? Did you forget to end the reference
        with a semicolon?

        30. Error in line 27 at character 2: The "table" tag must be closed by
        adding a slash to the end of the tag (<table ... />) or by a separate end
        tag (</table>).

        31. Error in line 27 at character 2: The "table" element cannot be used
        here. It is nested in another "table" tag and cannot be nested. Did you
        forget to close the previous "table" tag? This element may be contained in
        "body", "dd", "td", and "th". This element may not be contained in "dl" and
        "table".

        32. Error in line 28 at character 2: The "tr" tag must have an end tag but
        the end tag was not found.

        33. Error in line 30 at character 2: The "br" element cannot be used here.
        It is contained in a "table" tag that cannot contain it. This element may be
        contained in "body", "caption", "td", and "th". This element may not be
        contained in "table".

        34. Warning in line 30 at character 4: For backward compatibility with HTML,
        use a space character before the '/' character.

        35. Error in line 31 at character 2: The "br" element cannot be used here.
        It is contained in a "table" tag that cannot contain it. This element may be
        contained in "body", "caption", "td", and "th". This element may not be
        contained in "table".

        36. Warning in line 31 at character 4: For backward compatibility with HTML,
        use a space character before the '/' character.

        37. Error in line 32 at character 2: The "br" element cannot be used here.
        It is contained in a "table" tag that cannot contain it. This element may be
        contained in "body", "caption", "td", and "th". This element may not be
        contained in "table".

        38. Warning in line 32 at character 4: For backward compatibility with HTML,
        use a space character before the '/' character.

        39. Warning in line 35 at character 252: For backward compatibility with
        HTML, use a space character before the '/' character.

        40. Warning in line 35 at character 257: For backward compatibility with
        HTML, use a space character before the '/' character.

        41. Warning in line 35 at character 352: For backward compatibility with
        HTML, use a space character before the '/' character.

        42. Warning in line 42 at character 243: For backward compatibility with
        HTML, use a space character before the '/' character.

        43. Warning in line 42 at character 248: For backward compatibility with
        HTML, use a space character before the '/' character.

        44. Warning in line 42 at character 334: For backward compatibility with
        HTML, use a space character before the '/' character.

        45. Warning in line 42 at character 409: For backward compatibility with
        HTML, use a space character before the '/' character.

        46. Warning in line 42 at character 490: For backward compatibility with
        HTML, use a space character before the '/' character.

        47. Error in line 44 at character 2: The "table" tag must be closed by
        adding a slash to the end of the tag (<table ... />) or by a separate end
        tag (</table>).

        48. Error in line 44 at character 2: The "table" element cannot be used
        here. It is nested in another "table" tag and cannot be nested. Did you
        forget to close the previous "table" tag? This element may be contained in
        "body", "dd", "td", and "th". This element may not be contained in "dl" and
        "table".

        49. Error in line 45 at character 2: The "tr" tag must have an end tag but
        the end tag was not found.

        50. Error in line 48 at character 2: The "br" element cannot be used here.
        It is contained in a "table" tag that cannot contain it. This element may be
        contained in "body", "caption", "td", and "th". This element may not be
        contained in "table".

        51. Warning in line 48 at character 4: For backward compatibility with HTML,
        use a space character before the '/' character.

        52. Error in line 49 at character 2: The "br" element cannot be used here.
        It is contained in a "table" tag that cannot contain it. This element may be
        contained in "body", "caption", "td", and "th". This element may not be
        contained in "table".

        53. Warning in line 49 at character 4: For backward compatibility with HTML,
        use a space character before the '/' character.

        54. Error in line 50 at character 2: The "br" element cannot be used here.
        It is contained in a "table" tag that cannot contain it. This element may be
        contained in "body", "caption", "td", and "th". This element may not be
        contained in "table".

        55. Warning in line 50 at character 4: For backward compatibility with HTML,
        use a space character before the '/' character.

        56. Error in line 51 at character 2: The "br" element cannot be used here.
        It is contained in a "table" tag that cannot contain it. This element may be
        contained in "body", "caption", "td", and "th". This element may not be
        contained in "table".

        57. Warning in line 51 at character 4: For backward compatibility with HTML,
        use a space character before the '/' character.

        58. Error in line 52 at character 2: The "br" element cannot be used here.
        It is contained in a "table" tag that cannot contain it. This element may be
        contained in "body", "caption", "td", and "th". This element may not be
        contained in "table".

        59. Warning in line 52 at character 4: For backward compatibility with HTML,
        use a space character before the '/' character.

        60. Error in line 53 at character 2: The "br" element cannot be used here.
        It is contained in a "table" tag that cannot contain it. This element may be
        contained in "body", "caption", "td", and "th". This element may not be
        contained in "table".

        61. Warning in line 53 at character 4: For backward compatibility with HTML,
        use a space character before the '/' character.

        62. Error in line 55 at character 2: The "h2" element cannot be used here.
        It is contained in a "table" tag that cannot contain it. This element may be
        contained in "body", "dd", "td", and "th". This element may not be contained
        in "dl", "pre", and "table".

        63. Error in line 56 at character 2: The "br" element cannot be used here.
        It is contained in a "table" tag that cannot contain it. This element may be
        contained in "body", "caption", "td", and "th". This element may not be
        contained in "table".

        64. Warning in line 56 at character 4: For backward compatibility with HTML,
        use a space character before the '/' character.

        65. Error in line 57 at character 2: The "div" element cannot be used here.
        It is contained in a "table" tag that cannot contain it. This element may be
        contained in "body", "dd", "td", and "th". This element may not be contained
        in "dl" and "table".

        66. Error in line 57 at character 22: The "a" element cannot be used here.
        It is contained in a "table" tag that cannot contain it. This element may be
        contained in "body", "caption", "td", and "th". This element may not be
        contained in "a", "button", and "table".

        67. Error in line 57 at character 77: Text is contained in a "table"
        element. Because it is contained here, it must also be contained in one of
        the following elements: "td" "th" "caption".

        68. Error in line 59 at character 2: The end tag for "tr" (opened in line
        45) should appear before the end tag for "body" (nesting error).

        69. Comment: (Accessibility->Accessibility Tips) This program can help you
        make your web pages more accessible. An accessible page is one that more
        individuals can use, such as individuals who are blind or deaf. It can also
        increase the usefulness of your web page for individuals who browse the web
        using slower devices like older computers or wireless devices like cell
        phones and PDAs. An accessible web site makes good business sense (and
        possibly good legal sense as well). You can enable or disable accessibility
        checking in the Validator Engine Options.

        70. Comment: (Grouped->Search Engine) If you're concerned about top search
        engine rankings, visit http://www.htmlvalidator.com/seo.html

        71. Comment: You can ignore the nesting errors by turning off the option to
        check HTML tag nesting. However, it is recommended that you leave this
        feature enabled. This option is in CSE HTML Validator's Validator Engine
        Options.

        72. Comment: Possibly misspelled words (14, 7 unique): Gerta (1x),
        Handtinted (1x), PAYNE (1x), Voltron (1x), Loy (2x), Orval (2x), Laura (6x).
        Complete list.

        73. Comment: XHTML 1.0 Transitional document detected.

        74. Comment: [24] The XHTML recommendation strongly encourages that an XML
        declaration be used as the first line (line 1) of every XHTML document. For
        example, for XHTML and WML documents, something similar to <?xml
        version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> or simply <?xml version="1.0"?> should be
        the first line. If you are using HTML Validator's integrated editor, then
        you can add this from the Tags menu and/or from the Tag Inserter. However,
        in practice, correctly using an XML declaration may cause problems, such as
        triggering Internet Explorer 6's "quirks" mode (which causes non-standards
        compliant rendering). Because of this, you may not want to use an XML
        declaration. If you don't, then specify the character encoding in the "head"
        section with a meta tag such as <meta http-equiv="Content-Type"
        content="text/html; charset=us-ascii" />

        75. Comment: (Grouped->Search Engine) [113] Random Search Engine Tip #15 -
        Following accessibility standards may improve search engine rankings. Use
        "alt", "title", and table "summary" attributes whenever relevent and
        possible. Use keywords and search terms in them but keep them accurate.
        Using this program's accessibility checking can help.

        76. Comment: (Grouped->Search Engine) [8] <meta name="description"
        content="(actual description)" /> should be used in the "head" section to
        provide a brief description of what is contained on this page. This
        information is used by many search engines when indexing a site. If you are
        using HTML Validator's integrated editor, then you can add this from the
        Tags menu and/or from the Tag Inserter.

        77. Comment: An ICRA RDF label was not found in the "head" section of this
        document. Browsers that are enabled with this rating system may not display
        documents that have not been labelled. It is recommended that every page
        include an ICRA label. For more information, please visit
        http://www.icra.org/.

        78. Comment: 3791 bytes; 2.6s@14.4Kbps, 1.3s@28.8, 0.8s@50, 0.6s@64,
        0.3s@128, 0.1s@384, 0.1s@512, 0.0s@768, 0.0s@1.5Mbps, 0.0s@10Mbps.

        79. Comment: 0.29s, 26 errors, 33 warnings, 9 messages, 11 validator
        comments, 60 lines, 58 tags (20 closed), 4 document comments, 15 entities,
        119 programs run.

        > and see if anything serious is wrong with the Source coding,
        > Particularly for the "Family Pictures" and "Radio" pages and how what
        > problems are found could be fixed?
        >
        > Using NoteTab Light 4.95 (Freeware version).
      • Alec Burgess
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 12, 2006
          Jody:
          > Could you all bring this discussion over to the HTML list please? You can
          > signup for it at the bottom on any [NTB] message.

          May need a few tweaks ... I'm seeing only:

          Regards ... Alec