Re: [NTB] Upgrade from 4.95 to 5.1 not overwriting the old copy

    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 8, 2006
      Hi All,

      Eric wrote:
      >The simplest solution is to instruct the Setup program to install
      >NoteTab 5 in the same folder as your version 4.95. In other
      >words, you will be overwriting your old program file with the
      >new. The only downside of this method is that you will not have
      >copies of the latest Clipbook library files installed.

      What I did after that was installed to a new location after
      installing over 4.95 and then copied the Libraries folder over
      the new 4.95-5.10 folder. I suggest that if you do that, that is
      install to a new folder to get the new Libraries is to make a
      folder and in it make a file called NotePro.ini (or NoteTab.ini
      for Std) so that you don't get all the stuff under the Documents
      and Settings folder for the user logged on and then under his/her
      Application Data folder for NoteTab. I suppose you could delete
      that just as easy thought.

      (Oh, that howtoupdate.htm page is very old; I'll try to find time
      to update it.)

      Now, if you are really bored and want to understand it all a bit
      better., read the following. It should be accurate.

      Here's some tips I wrote up for people asking about how to
      install v5.00, their Clips in 4.95, and where to install to, etc.
      You might find some of it useful...

      You can do one or more of a few things, but first, some notes...

      If you install directly over v4.95 everything should be the same.
      If you had Clips in a Library that NoteTab upgraded, you should
      find them in a folder underneath NoteTab's Libraries folder.
      There's a screen in the installation process that gives you some
      more information about where NoteTab will be installed to. I also
      put it in this message towards the bottom right above the
      discussion mailing list information. I preceded it with: A NOTE
      FROM INSTALLATION SCREEN.

      If you install NoteTab v5.xx to a new location you find the data
      files, settings, etc. such a NotePro.ini under Documents and
      Settings | Application Data | User it was installed under | and
      in the NoteTab Pro folder. That folder will contain the
      following, but instead of Jody, it will be the user you are
      logged in as:

      C:\Documents and Settings\Jody\Application Data\NoteTab Pro\NotePro.fpr
      C:\Documents and Settings\Jody\Application Data\NoteTab Pro\NotePro.ini
      C:\Documents and Settings\Jody\Application Data\NoteTab Pro\Tips.ndx
      C:\Documents and Settings\Jody\Application Data\NoteTab Pro\Favorites
      C:\Documents and Settings\Jody\Application Data\NoteTab Pro\Libraries
      C:\Documents and Settings\Jody\Application Data\NoteTab Pro\Spelling
      C:\Documents and Settings\Jody\Application Data\NoteTab Pro\Templates

      (Note: Some things like your Favorites will have to be copied from
      your old v4.95 Favorites folder to the new one in the Application
      Data folder under NoteTab Pro; see above. You can Copy the folder
      itself such as Favorites under NoteTab Pro 4.95 and then Paste it
      into the NoteTab Pro Application Data folder.)

      Clipbooks, Clipbars, etc. will still be in NoteTab's program
      folder structure, but when edited, a copy is placed in the
      associated Application Data folder for NoteTab Pro. (FYI, if
      NoteTab sees NotePro.ini in the folder you install to, no
      appearance will be in your Application Data folder as mentioned
      above.)

      This is an example of the installation folders of NoteTab Pro to a
      new location:

      C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\Sounds
      C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\Templates
      C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\Dictionaries
      C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\Libraries
      C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\Samples
      C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\Scripts

      ...and *some* of the files for an example only:

      C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\WhatsNew.txt
      C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\Browsers.dat
      C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\ClipCode.chm
      C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\ClipCode.hlp
      C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\ClipHelp.clh
      C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\Glossary.otl
      C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\NotePro.exe
      C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\NoteTab.chm
      C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\NoteTab.hlp
      C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\ReadMe.otl
      C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\ReadMe.txt
      C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\Shortcuts.dat

      You can copy v4.95 Libraries over to the v5.0 location:

      1. Copy your old Clipbooks that you changed to the Clipboard from
      the Libraries folder in v4.95 and then paste them into the v5
      Libraries folder. You should do that with NoteTab closed. Note:
      if any of the Libraries were NoteTab's and they were updated in
      the upgrade, you will loose those new changes. I do not know
      exactly what was changed.

      You can move a Clip at a time:

      2. The best way would be to open v4.95 and right click over the
      Clip and choose Copy to Clipboard. Switch to v5, right click over
      the Library where you want to add the Clip and choose Add from
      Clipboard.

      You can do multiple Clips using the PasteBoard:

      3. Setup v5 with a PasteBoard open if you have a lot to change.
      Right click over v4.95's Clipbook and choose "Show Headers," 3 up
      from the bottom if not checked. Right click over Edit Clip... for
      a Clip you want to migrate to v5. Press Ctrl+A to Select All (or
      use a Select All tool from wherever you have it setup). It's also
      under the Edit menu. Press your Copy icon or Ctrl+C. Continue
      doing that for every Clip you want to migrate. When you are done
      switch to v5 and in front of every Clip name add "H=" without the
      quotes. For instance if you have something like:

      A note and some review/reminders...
      This assumes that when you installed, you did not have a copy of
      NotePro.ini (for NoteTab Pro and NoteTab.ini for NoteTab
      Standard/Light). In v5 changes made to Libraries are kept in the
      Application Data folder for NoteTab even though the Libraries are
      kept in the Libraries folder in the NoteTab installation folder.
      NotePro.ini or NoteTab.ini is also kept in NoteTab's Application
      Data folder under Documents and Settings for the logged on user
      of Windows. If you had a copy of the INI file in the folder you
      installed to, then all changes are kept under NoteTab's
      installation folder. In other words, it acts just like v4.95 did.

      A NOTE FROM INSTALLATION SCREEN:

      You can install this release over a previous copy of NoteTab Pro.
      We recommend that you choose a different folder if you are
      upgrading from version 4.x so that you can benefit from all new
      features. See below for an explanation on where NoteTab Pro saves
      its settings.

      If you have a trial version of NoteTab Pro on your computer, it
      is preferable that you uninstall it before installing this copy.

      Storage Location for User Data

      NoteTab 5 is designed to work under multi-user environments and
      stores user settings and data under the Application Data folder.
      Previous versions of NoteTab stored such files by default under
      the NoteTab program folder. If you are not working in a multi-
      user environment and have an account with administrator
      privileges (as opposed to a Windows limited account), you can
      instruct NoteTab to use the program folder as the main storage
      location instead of the Application Data folder. To do so, simply
      place the program NotePro.ini file in the same folder as the
      NoteTab program file. An empty INI file will do the trick.

      If you install NoteTab 5.0 over an earlier version of NoteTab,
      then user data will be stored in the same folders as before; if
      you want to have user data stored under the Application Data
      folder, then simply move the INI file to the "Application
      Data\NoteTab Pro" folder.

      System Requirements

      Windows 95/98/2000/2003/NT4/ME/XP/XP64/Vista and Wine
      4 MB of free disk space
      32 MB of RAM

      Happy Tab'n,

    • LaurieK
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 8, 2006
        No downaide here.. Thanks Eric for the tip....

        As luck would have it, I installed 5.1 in a new directory so I can reinstall it into the 4.9x directlry and THEN copy the clipbooks over and I'll have the new ones!!!

        WOO HOO, this rules!

        The simplest solution is to instruct the Setup program to install
        NoteTab 5 in the same folder as your version 4.95. In other words, you
        will be overwriting your old program file with the new. The only
        downside of this method is that you will not have copies of the latest
        Clipbook library files installed.

        Eric Fookes
        http://www.fookes.com/

        .