Re: [NTB] Upgrade from 4.95 to 5.1 not overwriting the old copy

  • hsavage
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 8, 2006
      essinger2001 wrote:
      > Thanks for the response, but it does not address the question. I
      > don't need 4.95 and 5.1 on my computer. I have backed up 4.95 to
      > restore if needed, and I still have the 4.95 install backed up as
      > well. I want to PRESERVE the clips and settings, and have them in
      > 5.1. Even running side by side, how do I get my settings and clips
      > from 4.95 to 5.1?
      >
      > The question is how can I do all of that? The online help seems to be
      > not helpful in this upgrade.
      >
      > I also have replaced notepad with NoteTab in Windows XP Pro, and want
      > it to use the 5.1 version when I start the editor by clicking on a
      > .txt or .html file. It does not do that currently. It uses the old
      > version. The upgrade should give me the option of replaceing the 4.95
      > version with the new and maintaining the clips I have created, and my
      > settings.
      >
      > Jim

      Jim,

      You're getting decent advice if you want to retain both versions. I
      installed 5.1 over the old version and recommend that process. This
      will adapt all the support files for the new version without changing
      paths, saves time and trouble if you already have shortcuts for
      NoteTab. Installing the new version over the old is the way I've always
      done it.

      Later, if you plan to try using NotePro in a multi-user environment,
      after closing NotePro you can temporarily move NotePro.ini out of the
      NotePro main folder, restart NotePro. Without the ini file NoteTab will
      act as if it's a brand new install no settings at all, other than the
      default settings. The next step will return your settings.

      That will create the necessary NoteTab folders under the 'applications'
      folder, then simply close NoteTab again, replace the newly created
      inifile with your original in the NoteTab folder and your settings will
      be intact.

      I would, however, be sure to save the 4.95 installer package, just for
      emergencies. Also, safeguard the v5.1 installer.

      ºvº
      2006.09.08
      -Newspaper HeadLine...
      "Deaf College Opens Doors to Hearing"
      hrs ø hsavage@...
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 8, 2006
        Hi All,

        Eric wrote:
        >The simplest solution is to instruct the Setup program to install
        >NoteTab 5 in the same folder as your version 4.95. In other
        >words, you will be overwriting your old program file with the
        >new. The only downside of this method is that you will not have
        >copies of the latest Clipbook library files installed.

        What I did after that was installed to a new location after
        installing over 4.95 and then copied the Libraries folder over
        the new 4.95-5.10 folder. I suggest that if you do that, that is
        install to a new folder to get the new Libraries is to make a
        folder and in it make a file called NotePro.ini (or NoteTab.ini
        for Std) so that you don't get all the stuff under the Documents
        and Settings folder for the user logged on and then under his/her
        Application Data folder for NoteTab. I suppose you could delete
        that just as easy thought.

        (Oh, that howtoupdate.htm page is very old; I'll try to find time
        to update it.)

        Now, if you are really bored and want to understand it all a bit
        better., read the following. It should be accurate.

        Here's some tips I wrote up for people asking about how to
        install v5.00, their Clips in 4.95, and where to install to, etc.
        You might find some of it useful...

        You can do one or more of a few things, but first, some notes...

        If you install directly over v4.95 everything should be the same.
        If you had Clips in a Library that NoteTab upgraded, you should
        find them in a folder underneath NoteTab's Libraries folder.
        There's a screen in the installation process that gives you some
        more information about where NoteTab will be installed to. I also
        put it in this message towards the bottom right above the
        discussion mailing list information. I preceded it with: A NOTE
        FROM INSTALLATION SCREEN.

        If you install NoteTab v5.xx to a new location you find the data
        files, settings, etc. such a NotePro.ini under Documents and
        Settings | Application Data | User it was installed under | and
        in the NoteTab Pro folder. That folder will contain the
        following, but instead of Jody, it will be the user you are
        logged in as:

        C:\Documents and Settings\Jody\Application Data\NoteTab Pro\NotePro.fpr
        C:\Documents and Settings\Jody\Application Data\NoteTab Pro\NotePro.ini
        C:\Documents and Settings\Jody\Application Data\NoteTab Pro\Tips.ndx
        C:\Documents and Settings\Jody\Application Data\NoteTab Pro\Favorites
        C:\Documents and Settings\Jody\Application Data\NoteTab Pro\Libraries
        C:\Documents and Settings\Jody\Application Data\NoteTab Pro\Spelling
        C:\Documents and Settings\Jody\Application Data\NoteTab Pro\Templates

        (Note: Some things like your Favorites will have to be copied from
        your old v4.95 Favorites folder to the new one in the Application
        Data folder under NoteTab Pro; see above. You can Copy the folder
        itself such as Favorites under NoteTab Pro 4.95 and then Paste it
        into the NoteTab Pro Application Data folder.)

        Clipbooks, Clipbars, etc. will still be in NoteTab's program
        folder structure, but when edited, a copy is placed in the
        associated Application Data folder for NoteTab Pro. (FYI, if
        NoteTab sees NotePro.ini in the folder you install to, no
        appearance will be in your Application Data folder as mentioned
        above.)

        This is an example of the installation folders of NoteTab Pro to a
        new location:

        C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\Sounds
        C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\Templates
        C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\Dictionaries
        C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\Libraries
        C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\Samples
        C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\Scripts

        ...and *some* of the files for an example only:

        C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\WhatsNew.txt
        C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\Browsers.dat
        C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\ClipCode.chm
        C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\ClipCode.hlp
        C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\ClipHelp.clh
        C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\Glossary.otl
        C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\NotePro.exe
        C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\NoteTab.chm
        C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\NoteTab.hlp
        C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\ReadMe.otl
        C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\ReadMe.txt
        C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\Shortcuts.dat

        You can copy v4.95 Libraries over to the v5.0 location:

        1. Copy your old Clipbooks that you changed to the Clipboard from
        the Libraries folder in v4.95 and then paste them into the v5
        Libraries folder. You should do that with NoteTab closed. Note:
        if any of the Libraries were NoteTab's and they were updated in
        the upgrade, you will loose those new changes. I do not know
        exactly what was changed.

        You can move a Clip at a time:

        2. The best way would be to open v4.95 and right click over the
        Clip and choose Copy to Clipboard. Switch to v5, right click over
        the Library where you want to add the Clip and choose Add from
        Clipboard.

        You can do multiple Clips using the PasteBoard:

        3. Setup v5 with a PasteBoard open if you have a lot to change.
        Right click over v4.95's Clipbook and choose "Show Headers," 3 up
        from the bottom if not checked. Right click over Edit Clip... for
        a Clip you want to migrate to v5. Press Ctrl+A to Select All (or
        use a Select All tool from wherever you have it setup). It's also
        under the Edit menu. Press your Copy icon or Ctrl+C. Continue
        doing that for every Clip you want to migrate. When you are done
        switch to v5 and in front of every Clip name add "H=" without the
        quotes. For instance if you have something like:

        A note and some review/reminders...
        This assumes that when you installed, you did not have a copy of
        NotePro.ini (for NoteTab Pro and NoteTab.ini for NoteTab
        Standard/Light). In v5 changes made to Libraries are kept in the
        Application Data folder for NoteTab even though the Libraries are
        kept in the Libraries folder in the NoteTab installation folder.
        NotePro.ini or NoteTab.ini is also kept in NoteTab's Application
        Data folder under Documents and Settings for the logged on user
        of Windows. If you had a copy of the INI file in the folder you
        installed to, then all changes are kept under NoteTab's
        installation folder. In other words, it acts just like v4.95 did.

        A NOTE FROM INSTALLATION SCREEN:

        You can install this release over a previous copy of NoteTab Pro.
        We recommend that you choose a different folder if you are
        upgrading from version 4.x so that you can benefit from all new
        features. See below for an explanation on where NoteTab Pro saves
        its settings.

        If you have a trial version of NoteTab Pro on your computer, it
        is preferable that you uninstall it before installing this copy.

        Storage Location for User Data

        NoteTab 5 is designed to work under multi-user environments and
        stores user settings and data under the Application Data folder.
        Previous versions of NoteTab stored such files by default under
        the NoteTab program folder. If you are not working in a multi-
        user environment and have an account with administrator
        privileges (as opposed to a Windows limited account), you can
        instruct NoteTab to use the program folder as the main storage
        location instead of the Application Data folder. To do so, simply
        place the program NotePro.ini file in the same folder as the
        NoteTab program file. An empty INI file will do the trick.

        If you install NoteTab 5.0 over an earlier version of NoteTab,
        then user data will be stored in the same folders as before; if
        you want to have user data stored under the Application Data
        folder, then simply move the INI file to the "Application
        Data\NoteTab Pro" folder.

        System Requirements

        Windows 95/98/2000/2003/NT4/ME/XP/XP64/Vista and Wine
        4 MB of free disk space
        32 MB of RAM

        Happy Tab'n,

      • LaurieK
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 8, 2006
          No downaide here.. Thanks Eric for the tip....

          As luck would have it, I installed 5.1 in a new directory so I can reinstall it into the 4.9x directlry and THEN copy the clipbooks over and I'll have the new ones!!!

          WOO HOO, this rules!

          The simplest solution is to instruct the Setup program to install
          NoteTab 5 in the same folder as your version 4.95. In other words, you
          will be overwriting your old program file with the new. The only
          downside of this method is that you will not have copies of the latest
          Clipbook library files installed.

          Eric Fookes
          http://www.fookes.com/

          .