Re: [NTB] Upgrade from 4.95 to 5.1 not overwriting the old copy

  • dave
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 8, 2006
      Hi
      close down notetab before you do any of this.
      that sort of depends how you have installed it but generally copy all your
      library files over to the new version do not overwrite the new ones.
      Copy your favorites over as well ,then copy your old notetab ini file and
      replace the new one you may have some setting to find again
      Go to any txt file right click and open with and you should find notetab new
      version on the list if not browse to the new version left click on the new
      version and tick the box for always ,you will have to repeat this for html
      files as well.

      restart notetab and your setting and libraries should all be there. make
      sure there is nothing you want then delete the old version.
      THANKYOU DAVE M

      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 8, 2006
        Hi Jim,

        > I am trying to replace the 4.95 Note Tab Pro version with the 5.1
        > version I just downloaded. The install file I was directed to and
        > downloaded is named NotePro510_Setup.exe. I checked the
        > http://www.notetab.net/html/howupdate.htm site, but did not find any
        > help. The copy I have does not want to overwrite the existing copy,
        > ore even see the old version. What do I have to do to get this
        > upgraded?
        >
        > I have some home grown clips, but other than that, only want to
        > preserve the settings I have with the 4.95 version

        The simplest solution is to instruct the Setup program to install
        NoteTab 5 in the same folder as your version 4.95. In other words, you
        will be overwriting your old program file with the new. The only
        downside of this method is that you will not have copies of the latest
        Clipbook library files installed.

        Eric Fookes
        http://www.fookes.com/
      • hsavage
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 8, 2006
          essinger2001 wrote:
          > Thanks for the response, but it does not address the question. I
          > don't need 4.95 and 5.1 on my computer. I have backed up 4.95 to
          > restore if needed, and I still have the 4.95 install backed up as
          > well. I want to PRESERVE the clips and settings, and have them in
          > 5.1. Even running side by side, how do I get my settings and clips
          > from 4.95 to 5.1?
          >
          > The question is how can I do all of that? The online help seems to be
          > not helpful in this upgrade.
          >
          > I also have replaced notepad with NoteTab in Windows XP Pro, and want
          > it to use the 5.1 version when I start the editor by clicking on a
          > .txt or .html file. It does not do that currently. It uses the old
          > version. The upgrade should give me the option of replaceing the 4.95
          > version with the new and maintaining the clips I have created, and my
          > settings.
          >
          > Jim

          Jim,

          You're getting decent advice if you want to retain both versions. I
          installed 5.1 over the old version and recommend that process. This
          will adapt all the support files for the new version without changing
          paths, saves time and trouble if you already have shortcuts for
          NoteTab. Installing the new version over the old is the way I've always
          done it.

          Later, if you plan to try using NotePro in a multi-user environment,
          after closing NotePro you can temporarily move NotePro.ini out of the
          NotePro main folder, restart NotePro. Without the ini file NoteTab will
          act as if it's a brand new install no settings at all, other than the
          default settings. The next step will return your settings.

          That will create the necessary NoteTab folders under the 'applications'
          folder, then simply close NoteTab again, replace the newly created
          inifile with your original in the NoteTab folder and your settings will
          be intact.

          I would, however, be sure to save the 4.95 installer package, just for
          emergencies. Also, safeguard the v5.1 installer.

          ºvº
          2006.09.08
          -Newspaper HeadLine...
          "Deaf College Opens Doors to Hearing"
          hrs ø hsavage@...
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 8, 2006
            Hi All,

            Eric wrote:
            >The simplest solution is to instruct the Setup program to install
            >NoteTab 5 in the same folder as your version 4.95. In other
            >words, you will be overwriting your old program file with the
            >new. The only downside of this method is that you will not have
            >copies of the latest Clipbook library files installed.

            What I did after that was installed to a new location after
            installing over 4.95 and then copied the Libraries folder over
            the new 4.95-5.10 folder. I suggest that if you do that, that is
            install to a new folder to get the new Libraries is to make a
            folder and in it make a file called NotePro.ini (or NoteTab.ini
            for Std) so that you don't get all the stuff under the Documents
            and Settings folder for the user logged on and then under his/her
            Application Data folder for NoteTab. I suppose you could delete
            that just as easy thought.

            (Oh, that howtoupdate.htm page is very old; I'll try to find time
            to update it.)

            Now, if you are really bored and want to understand it all a bit
            better., read the following. It should be accurate.

            Here's some tips I wrote up for people asking about how to
            install v5.00, their Clips in 4.95, and where to install to, etc.
            You might find some of it useful...

            You can do one or more of a few things, but first, some notes...

            If you install directly over v4.95 everything should be the same.
            If you had Clips in a Library that NoteTab upgraded, you should
            find them in a folder underneath NoteTab's Libraries folder.
            There's a screen in the installation process that gives you some
            more information about where NoteTab will be installed to. I also
            put it in this message towards the bottom right above the
            discussion mailing list information. I preceded it with: A NOTE
            FROM INSTALLATION SCREEN.

            If you install NoteTab v5.xx to a new location you find the data
            files, settings, etc. such a NotePro.ini under Documents and
            Settings | Application Data | User it was installed under | and
            in the NoteTab Pro folder. That folder will contain the
            following, but instead of Jody, it will be the user you are
            logged in as:

            C:\Documents and Settings\Jody\Application Data\NoteTab Pro\NotePro.fpr
            C:\Documents and Settings\Jody\Application Data\NoteTab Pro\NotePro.ini
            C:\Documents and Settings\Jody\Application Data\NoteTab Pro\Tips.ndx
            C:\Documents and Settings\Jody\Application Data\NoteTab Pro\Favorites
            C:\Documents and Settings\Jody\Application Data\NoteTab Pro\Libraries
            C:\Documents and Settings\Jody\Application Data\NoteTab Pro\Spelling
            C:\Documents and Settings\Jody\Application Data\NoteTab Pro\Templates

            (Note: Some things like your Favorites will have to be copied from
            your old v4.95 Favorites folder to the new one in the Application
            Data folder under NoteTab Pro; see above. You can Copy the folder
            itself such as Favorites under NoteTab Pro 4.95 and then Paste it
            into the NoteTab Pro Application Data folder.)

            Clipbooks, Clipbars, etc. will still be in NoteTab's program
            folder structure, but when edited, a copy is placed in the
            associated Application Data folder for NoteTab Pro. (FYI, if
            NoteTab sees NotePro.ini in the folder you install to, no
            appearance will be in your Application Data folder as mentioned
            above.)

            This is an example of the installation folders of NoteTab Pro to a
            new location:

            C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\Sounds
            C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\Templates
            C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\Dictionaries
            C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\Libraries
            C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\Samples
            C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\Scripts

            ...and *some* of the files for an example only:

            C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\WhatsNew.txt
            C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\Browsers.dat
            C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\ClipCode.chm
            C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\ClipCode.hlp
            C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\ClipHelp.clh
            C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\Glossary.otl
            C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\NotePro.exe
            C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\NoteTab.chm
            C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\NoteTab.hlp
            C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\ReadMe.otl
            C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\ReadMe.txt
            C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\Shortcuts.dat

            You can copy v4.95 Libraries over to the v5.0 location:

            1. Copy your old Clipbooks that you changed to the Clipboard from
            the Libraries folder in v4.95 and then paste them into the v5
            Libraries folder. You should do that with NoteTab closed. Note:
            if any of the Libraries were NoteTab's and they were updated in
            the upgrade, you will loose those new changes. I do not know
            exactly what was changed.

            You can move a Clip at a time:

            2. The best way would be to open v4.95 and right click over the
            Clip and choose Copy to Clipboard. Switch to v5, right click over
            the Library where you want to add the Clip and choose Add from
            Clipboard.

            You can do multiple Clips using the PasteBoard:

            3. Setup v5 with a PasteBoard open if you have a lot to change.
            Right click over v4.95's Clipbook and choose "Show Headers," 3 up
            from the bottom if not checked. Right click over Edit Clip... for
            a Clip you want to migrate to v5. Press Ctrl+A to Select All (or
            use a Select All tool from wherever you have it setup). It's also
            under the Edit menu. Press your Copy icon or Ctrl+C. Continue
            doing that for every Clip you want to migrate. When you are done
            switch to v5 and in front of every Clip name add "H=" without the
            quotes. For instance if you have something like:

            A note and some review/reminders...
            This assumes that when you installed, you did not have a copy of
            NotePro.ini (for NoteTab Pro and NoteTab.ini for NoteTab
            Standard/Light). In v5 changes made to Libraries are kept in the
            Application Data folder for NoteTab even though the Libraries are
            kept in the Libraries folder in the NoteTab installation folder.
            NotePro.ini or NoteTab.ini is also kept in NoteTab's Application
            Data folder under Documents and Settings for the logged on user
            of Windows. If you had a copy of the INI file in the folder you
            installed to, then all changes are kept under NoteTab's
            installation folder. In other words, it acts just like v4.95 did.

            A NOTE FROM INSTALLATION SCREEN:

            You can install this release over a previous copy of NoteTab Pro.
            We recommend that you choose a different folder if you are
            upgrading from version 4.x so that you can benefit from all new
            features. See below for an explanation on where NoteTab Pro saves
            its settings.

            If you have a trial version of NoteTab Pro on your computer, it
            is preferable that you uninstall it before installing this copy.

            Storage Location for User Data

            NoteTab 5 is designed to work under multi-user environments and
            stores user settings and data under the Application Data folder.
            Previous versions of NoteTab stored such files by default under
            the NoteTab program folder. If you are not working in a multi-
            user environment and have an account with administrator
            privileges (as opposed to a Windows limited account), you can
            instruct NoteTab to use the program folder as the main storage
            location instead of the Application Data folder. To do so, simply
            place the program NotePro.ini file in the same folder as the
            NoteTab program file. An empty INI file will do the trick.

            If you install NoteTab 5.0 over an earlier version of NoteTab,
            then user data will be stored in the same folders as before; if
            you want to have user data stored under the Application Data
            folder, then simply move the INI file to the "Application
            Data\NoteTab Pro" folder.

            System Requirements

            Windows 95/98/2000/2003/NT4/ME/XP/XP64/Vista and Wine
            4 MB of free disk space
            32 MB of RAM

            Happy Tab'n,

          • LaurieK
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 8, 2006
              No downaide here.. Thanks Eric for the tip....

              As luck would have it, I installed 5.1 in a new directory so I can reinstall it into the 4.9x directlry and THEN copy the clipbooks over and I'll have the new ones!!!

              WOO HOO, this rules!