Upgrade from 4.95 to 5.1 not overwriting the old copy

  • essinger2001
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 1, 2006
      Greetings,

      I am trying to replace the 4.95 Note Tab Pro version with the 5.1
      version I just downloaded. The install file I was directed to and
      downloaded is named NotePro510_Setup.exe. I checked the
      http://www.notetab.net/html/howupdate.htm site, but did not find any
      help. The copy I have does not want to overwrite the existing copy,
      ore even see the old version. What do I have to do to get this
      upgraded?

      I have some home grown clips, but other than that, only want to
      preserve the settings I have with the 4.95 version

      Win XP Pro with all the latest fixes downloaded.

      Thanks for you help

      Jim
    • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 1, 2006
        essinger2001 wrote:
        > Greetings,
        >
        > I am trying to replace the 4.95 Note Tab Pro version with the 5.1
        > version I just downloaded. The install file I was directed to and
        > downloaded is named NotePro510_Setup.exe. I checked the
        > http://www.notetab.net/html/howupdate.htm site, but did not find any
        > help. The copy I have does not want to overwrite the existing copy,
        > ore even see the old version. What do I have to do to get this
        > upgraded?
        >
        > I have some home grown clips, but other than that, only want to
        > preserve the settings I have with the 4.95 version
        >
        > Win XP Pro with all the latest fixes downloaded.
        >
        > Thanks for you help
        >
        > Jim

        Jim rather than overwrite the old one, I would just install beside it.
        That way if someday a clip doesn't work or something with 5 you have 4
        to fall back on. After a while, then delete 4 if you wish.
      • essinger2001
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 7, 2006
          Thanks for the response, but it does not address the question. I
          don't need 4.95 and 5.1 on my computer. I have backed up 4.95 to
          restore if needed, and I still have the 4.95 install backed up as
          well. I want to PRESERVE the clips and settings, and have them in
          5.1. Even running side by side, how do I get my settings and clips
          from 4.95 to 5.1?

          The question is how can I do all of that? The online help seems to be
          not helpful in this upgrade.

          I also have replaced notepad with NoteTab in Windows XP Pro, and want
          it to use the 5.1 version when I start the editor by clicking on a
          .txt or .html file. It does not do that currently. It uses the old
          version. The upgrade should give me the option of replaceing the 4.95
          version with the new and maintaining the clips I have created, and my
          settings.

          Jim

          --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" <don@...> wrote:

          > essinger2001 wrote:
          > > Greetings,
          > >
          > > I am trying to replace the 4.95 Note Tab Pro version with the 5.1
          > > version I just downloaded. The install file I was directed to and
          > > downloaded is named NotePro510_Setup.exe. I checked the
          > > http://www.notetab.net/html/howupdate.htm site, but did not find any
          > > help. The copy I have does not want to overwrite the existing copy,
          > > ore even see the old version. What do I have to do to get this
          > > upgraded?
          > >
          > > I have some home grown clips, but other than that, only want to
          > > preserve the settings I have with the 4.95 version
          > >
          > > Win XP Pro with all the latest fixes downloaded.
          > >
          > > Thanks for you help
          > >
          > > Jim
          >
          > Jim rather than overwrite the old one, I would just install beside it.
          > That way if someday a clip doesn't work or something with 5 you have 4
          > to fall back on. After a while, then delete 4 if you wish.

        • dave
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 8, 2006
            Hi
            close down notetab before you do any of this.
            that sort of depends how you have installed it but generally copy all your
            library files over to the new version do not overwrite the new ones.
            Copy your favorites over as well ,then copy your old notetab ini file and
            replace the new one you may have some setting to find again
            Go to any txt file right click and open with and you should find notetab new
            version on the list if not browse to the new version left click on the new
            version and tick the box for always ,you will have to repeat this for html
            files as well.

            restart notetab and your setting and libraries should all be there. make
            sure there is nothing you want then delete the old version.
            THANKYOU DAVE M

            > Thanks for the response, but it does not address the question. I
            > don't need 4.95 and 5.1 on my computer. I have backed up 4.95 to
            > restore if needed, and I still have the 4.95 install backed up as
            > well. I want to PRESERVE the clips and settings, and have them in
            > 5.1. Even running side by side, how do I get my settings and clips
            > from 4.95 to 5.1?
            >
            > The question is how can I do all of that? The online help seems to be
            > not helpful in this upgrade.
            >
            > I also have replaced notepad with NoteTab in Windows XP Pro, and want
            > it to use the 5.1 version when I start the editor by clicking on a
            > .txt or .html file. It does not do that currently. It uses the old
            > version. The upgrade should give me the option of replaceing the 4.95
            > version with the new and maintaining the clips I have created, and my
            > settings.
            >
            > Jim
            >
            > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" <don@...> wrote:
            >>
            >> essinger2001 wrote:
            >> > Greetings,
            >> >
            >> > I am trying to replace the 4.95 Note Tab Pro version with the 5.1
            >> > version I just downloaded. The install file I was directed to and
            >> > downloaded is named NotePro510_Setup.exe. I checked the
            >> > http://www.notetab.net/html/howupdate.htm site, but did not find any
            >> > help. The copy I have does not want to overwrite the existing copy,
            >> > ore even see the old version. What do I have to do to get this
            >> > upgraded?
            >> >
            >> > I have some home grown clips, but other than that, only want to
            >> > preserve the settings I have with the 4.95 version
            >> >
            >> > Win XP Pro with all the latest fixes downloaded.
            >> >
            >> > Thanks for you help
            >> >
            >> > Jim
            >>
            >> Jim rather than overwrite the old one, I would just install beside it.
            >> That way if someday a clip doesn't work or something with 5 you have 4
            >> to fall back on. After a while, then delete 4 if you wish.

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • dpasseng
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 8, 2006
              --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "essinger2001" <Dilbernator@...> wrote:

              > Thanks for the response, but it does not address the question. I
              > don't need 4.95 and 5.1 on my computer. I have backed up 4.95 to
              > restore if needed, and I still have the 4.95 install backed up as
              > well. I want to PRESERVE the clips and settings, and have them in
              > 5.1. Even running side by side, how do I get my settings and clips
              > from 4.95 to 5.1?

              I think to preserve the settings you need to move your ini from 4.95
              and put it in place of the 5.1 ini. To move clips, simply copy the
              relevant clb files from 4.95's library folder to the new library
              folder on 5.1. There is apparently a choice of whether to have the
              library and ini files in the notetab folder or in the user file in
              windows, so you have to figure out which way to go. I have yet to buy
              5.1, so I am speaking from belief not knowledge.

              Don
            • Eric Fookes
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 8, 2006
                Hi Jim,

                > I am trying to replace the 4.95 Note Tab Pro version with the 5.1
                > version I just downloaded. The install file I was directed to and
                > downloaded is named NotePro510_Setup.exe. I checked the
                > http://www.notetab.net/html/howupdate.htm site, but did not find any
                > help. The copy I have does not want to overwrite the existing copy,
                > ore even see the old version. What do I have to do to get this
                > upgraded?
                >
                > I have some home grown clips, but other than that, only want to
                > preserve the settings I have with the 4.95 version

                The simplest solution is to instruct the Setup program to install
                NoteTab 5 in the same folder as your version 4.95. In other words, you
                will be overwriting your old program file with the new. The only
                downside of this method is that you will not have copies of the latest
                Clipbook library files installed.

                Eric Fookes
                http://www.fookes.com/
              • hsavage
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 8, 2006
                  essinger2001 wrote:
                  > Thanks for the response, but it does not address the question. I
                  > don't need 4.95 and 5.1 on my computer. I have backed up 4.95 to
                  > restore if needed, and I still have the 4.95 install backed up as
                  > well. I want to PRESERVE the clips and settings, and have them in
                  > 5.1. Even running side by side, how do I get my settings and clips
                  > from 4.95 to 5.1?
                  >
                  > The question is how can I do all of that? The online help seems to be
                  > not helpful in this upgrade.
                  >
                  > I also have replaced notepad with NoteTab in Windows XP Pro, and want
                  > it to use the 5.1 version when I start the editor by clicking on a
                  > .txt or .html file. It does not do that currently. It uses the old
                  > version. The upgrade should give me the option of replaceing the 4.95
                  > version with the new and maintaining the clips I have created, and my
                  > settings.
                  >
                  > Jim

                  Jim,

                  You're getting decent advice if you want to retain both versions. I
                  installed 5.1 over the old version and recommend that process. This
                  will adapt all the support files for the new version without changing
                  paths, saves time and trouble if you already have shortcuts for
                  NoteTab. Installing the new version over the old is the way I've always
                  done it.

                  Later, if you plan to try using NotePro in a multi-user environment,
                  after closing NotePro you can temporarily move NotePro.ini out of the
                  NotePro main folder, restart NotePro. Without the ini file NoteTab will
                  act as if it's a brand new install no settings at all, other than the
                  default settings. The next step will return your settings.

                  That will create the necessary NoteTab folders under the 'applications'
                  folder, then simply close NoteTab again, replace the newly created
                  inifile with your original in the NoteTab folder and your settings will
                  be intact.

                  I would, however, be sure to save the 4.95 installer package, just for
                  emergencies. Also, safeguard the v5.1 installer.

                  ºvº
                  2006.09.08
                  -Newspaper HeadLine...
                  "Deaf College Opens Doors to Hearing"
                  hrs ø hsavage@...
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 8, 2006
                    Hi All,

                    Eric wrote:
                    >The simplest solution is to instruct the Setup program to install
                    >NoteTab 5 in the same folder as your version 4.95. In other
                    >words, you will be overwriting your old program file with the
                    >new. The only downside of this method is that you will not have
                    >copies of the latest Clipbook library files installed.

                    What I did after that was installed to a new location after
                    installing over 4.95 and then copied the Libraries folder over
                    the new 4.95-5.10 folder. I suggest that if you do that, that is
                    install to a new folder to get the new Libraries is to make a
                    folder and in it make a file called NotePro.ini (or NoteTab.ini
                    for Std) so that you don't get all the stuff under the Documents
                    and Settings folder for the user logged on and then under his/her
                    Application Data folder for NoteTab. I suppose you could delete
                    that just as easy thought.

                    (Oh, that howtoupdate.htm page is very old; I'll try to find time
                    to update it.)

                    Now, if you are really bored and want to understand it all a bit
                    better., read the following. It should be accurate.

                    Here's some tips I wrote up for people asking about how to
                    install v5.00, their Clips in 4.95, and where to install to, etc.
                    You might find some of it useful...

                    You can do one or more of a few things, but first, some notes...

                    If you install directly over v4.95 everything should be the same.
                    If you had Clips in a Library that NoteTab upgraded, you should
                    find them in a folder underneath NoteTab's Libraries folder.
                    There's a screen in the installation process that gives you some
                    more information about where NoteTab will be installed to. I also
                    put it in this message towards the bottom right above the
                    discussion mailing list information. I preceded it with: A NOTE
                    FROM INSTALLATION SCREEN.

                    If you install NoteTab v5.xx to a new location you find the data
                    files, settings, etc. such a NotePro.ini under Documents and
                    Settings | Application Data | User it was installed under | and
                    in the NoteTab Pro folder. That folder will contain the
                    following, but instead of Jody, it will be the user you are
                    logged in as:

                    C:\Documents and Settings\Jody\Application Data\NoteTab Pro\NotePro.fpr
                    C:\Documents and Settings\Jody\Application Data\NoteTab Pro\NotePro.ini
                    C:\Documents and Settings\Jody\Application Data\NoteTab Pro\Tips.ndx
                    C:\Documents and Settings\Jody\Application Data\NoteTab Pro\Favorites
                    C:\Documents and Settings\Jody\Application Data\NoteTab Pro\Libraries
                    C:\Documents and Settings\Jody\Application Data\NoteTab Pro\Spelling
                    C:\Documents and Settings\Jody\Application Data\NoteTab Pro\Templates

                    (Note: Some things like your Favorites will have to be copied from
                    your old v4.95 Favorites folder to the new one in the Application
                    Data folder under NoteTab Pro; see above. You can Copy the folder
                    itself such as Favorites under NoteTab Pro 4.95 and then Paste it
                    into the NoteTab Pro Application Data folder.)

                    Clipbooks, Clipbars, etc. will still be in NoteTab's program
                    folder structure, but when edited, a copy is placed in the
                    associated Application Data folder for NoteTab Pro. (FYI, if
                    NoteTab sees NotePro.ini in the folder you install to, no
                    appearance will be in your Application Data folder as mentioned
                    above.)

                    This is an example of the installation folders of NoteTab Pro to a
                    new location:

                    C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\Sounds
                    C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\Templates
                    C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\Dictionaries
                    C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\Libraries
                    C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\Samples
                    C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\Scripts

                    ...and *some* of the files for an example only:

                    C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\WhatsNew.txt
                    C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\Browsers.dat
                    C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\ClipCode.chm
                    C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\ClipCode.hlp
                    C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\ClipHelp.clh
                    C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\Glossary.otl
                    C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\NotePro.exe
                    C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\NoteTab.chm
                    C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\NoteTab.hlp
                    C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\ReadMe.otl
                    C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\ReadMe.txt
                    C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\Shortcuts.dat

                    You can copy v4.95 Libraries over to the v5.0 location:

                    1. Copy your old Clipbooks that you changed to the Clipboard from
                    the Libraries folder in v4.95 and then paste them into the v5
                    Libraries folder. You should do that with NoteTab closed. Note:
                    if any of the Libraries were NoteTab's and they were updated in
                    the upgrade, you will loose those new changes. I do not know
                    exactly what was changed.

                    You can move a Clip at a time:

                    2. The best way would be to open v4.95 and right click over the
                    Clip and choose Copy to Clipboard. Switch to v5, right click over
                    the Library where you want to add the Clip and choose Add from
                    Clipboard.

                    You can do multiple Clips using the PasteBoard:

                    3. Setup v5 with a PasteBoard open if you have a lot to change.
                    Right click over v4.95's Clipbook and choose "Show Headers," 3 up
                    from the bottom if not checked. Right click over Edit Clip... for
                    a Clip you want to migrate to v5. Press Ctrl+A to Select All (or
                    use a Select All tool from wherever you have it setup). It's also
                    under the Edit menu. Press your Copy icon or Ctrl+C. Continue
                    doing that for every Clip you want to migrate. When you are done
                    switch to v5 and in front of every Clip name add "H=" without the
                    quotes. For instance if you have something like:

                    A note and some review/reminders...
                    This assumes that when you installed, you did not have a copy of
                    NotePro.ini (for NoteTab Pro and NoteTab.ini for NoteTab
                    Standard/Light). In v5 changes made to Libraries are kept in the
                    Application Data folder for NoteTab even though the Libraries are
                    kept in the Libraries folder in the NoteTab installation folder.
                    NotePro.ini or NoteTab.ini is also kept in NoteTab's Application
                    Data folder under Documents and Settings for the logged on user
                    of Windows. If you had a copy of the INI file in the folder you
                    installed to, then all changes are kept under NoteTab's
                    installation folder. In other words, it acts just like v4.95 did.

                    A NOTE FROM INSTALLATION SCREEN:

                    You can install this release over a previous copy of NoteTab Pro.
                    We recommend that you choose a different folder if you are
                    upgrading from version 4.x so that you can benefit from all new
                    features. See below for an explanation on where NoteTab Pro saves
                    its settings.

                    If you have a trial version of NoteTab Pro on your computer, it
                    is preferable that you uninstall it before installing this copy.

                    Storage Location for User Data

                    NoteTab 5 is designed to work under multi-user environments and
                    stores user settings and data under the Application Data folder.
                    Previous versions of NoteTab stored such files by default under
                    the NoteTab program folder. If you are not working in a multi-
                    user environment and have an account with administrator
                    privileges (as opposed to a Windows limited account), you can
                    instruct NoteTab to use the program folder as the main storage
                    location instead of the Application Data folder. To do so, simply
                    place the program NotePro.ini file in the same folder as the
                    NoteTab program file. An empty INI file will do the trick.

                    If you install NoteTab 5.0 over an earlier version of NoteTab,
                    then user data will be stored in the same folders as before; if
                    you want to have user data stored under the Application Data
                    folder, then simply move the INI file to the "Application
                    Data\NoteTab Pro" folder.

                    System Requirements

                    Windows 95/98/2000/2003/NT4/ME/XP/XP64/Vista and Wine
                    4 MB of free disk space
                    32 MB of RAM

                    Happy Tab'n,

                  • LaurieK
                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 8, 2006
                      No downaide here.. Thanks Eric for the tip....

                      As luck would have it, I installed 5.1 in a new directory so I can reinstall it into the 4.9x directlry and THEN copy the clipbooks over and I'll have the new ones!!!

                      WOO HOO, this rules!