[NTB] Re: NTP Screen Font Support Degraded?

  • xtx222003
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 23 12:05 PM
      Hi Alec,

      Sorry for the delay, I had to find a monitor before responding. I had
      bought the Dell UltraSharp 1907FP
      http://reviews.cnet.com/Dell_UltraSharp_1907FP/4505-3174_7-31694881-
      2.html?tag=nav not off this review, but from having seen the 20"
      version at my wife's work place. We went with the 19" because it was
      half the price, and they were supposed to be the same other than
      size. It didn't work out that way. As previously stated the images
      looked great, but the fonts looked jaggy. Dell sent two replacements
      and they didn't work out either, they really did try to make it work.
      I found that under the hood it was a Samsung.

      We decided that the best way to go about finding a good monitor was
      to look for ourselves in person, and see how monitors rendered images
      and text rather than relying on reviews. I loaded a USB stick with
      images, txt and rtf files, and went shopping. I was disheartened to
      see that most flat screen monitors I looked at render fonts very
      poorly and images well or the other way around, but not both. We only
      bought when we had a reasonable idea that it would perform both well,
      and that we could return them, and there was no restocking fee.

      To make an unnecessarily long story short, we bought some, and had to
      return them all. In the mean time my wife became dissatisfied whith
      her 20" Dell at work. Finally we found the Samsung Syncmaster 204B
      http://www.samsung.com/Products/Monitor/LCD_Digital/LS20BRDBSQXAA.asp
      that displayed fonts better than any CRT we've seen, and rendered the
      images with amazingly bright colors and sharp details. While we were
      prepared to pay a lot more because this is where spend most of our
      time, more than sleeping, more than watching TV, I mean this is our
      life and livelihood, and it doesn't hurt that we can always write
      them off next years taxes, we got a good deal, only $80 more than the
      Dell Samsung that was giving me headaches.

      Best,
      Corl

      --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Alec Burgess\(g\)" <buralex@...>
      wrote:

      > Corl:
      > Good for us (Notetab community), bad for you (if money spent on
      monitor is
      > "wasted") :-( Have you googled or google-grouped to see if others
      have
      > reported similar problems with same manufacturer/model monitor?
      >
      > Could you share those manufacturer/model details with us? Based on
      your
      > satisfaction with its display of photos it sounds like its probably
      fairly
      > high-end and perhaps there is an options setting to try that isn't
      as
      > obvious ...
      >
      > Note: I'm sending this to NTB-off-topic and copying you, just in
      case you're
      > not yet subscribed: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ntb-offtopic/
      >
      > Regards ... Alec
      > --

    • sisterscape
      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 23 2:59 PM
        When I bought my Samsung SyncMaster 172N a few years ago, I did exactly
        as you did. I put various files and web designs onto a floppy and
        tested them on monitor after monitor in store after store to make sure
        I got one that would render colors etc. correctly. It was well worth
        the effort.

        Glad to hear you worked it out on your end too.

        sisterscape

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • xtx222003
        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 23 3:46 PM
          Hi sisterscape,

          I'm glad to hear that worked for you too, I can't think of a better
          way, the reviews tend to be too wordy, too confusing, and it depends
          what they are reviewing it for, (Video, graphics, games, etc), and
          the same model can be made by different manufactures, like it turned
          out my Dell monitor was being made by 3 different manufacturers
          Samsung being the best of the 3. Funny thing is that I went to a Dell
          kiosk in a local mall and they had their "MY Computer" locked down so
          I couldn't test the monitors with my USB stick files, and when they
          said they wouldn't unlock it when I told them what I was doing, and I
          simply walked away and tested it at every other shop.

          I found a handy monitor text utility at
          http://www.dustylens.com/monitor_tests.htm and I found most of it
          very useful along with my test files.

          I still find the Fixed width fonts an eye sore, but this monitor at
          least makes them tolerably passable. I really wish that NTP's use of
          Fixed width fonts for the screen was a preference for those who had
          to work with them.

          Best,
          Corl