Is there such a CLIP?

  • jfulmer@foxinternet.net
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 30, 1998
      Jody,

      Is there a 'Clip' that will remove the '>' flags from E-mail messages.
      some times I want to send on a portion of a previously quoted message
      and have to manually remove the '>' signs from a long section of the
      old message. (Something like the following sample):

      >> >Hai which file to copy for saving backup of OPTION SETTINGS
      >>
      >> NoteTab Pro = NotePro.ini
      >> NoteTab Standard = NoteTab.ini
      >>
      >> Those have other settings as well as the ones you asked for.
      >Good morning, Joseph,
      >Are you saying that instead of fiddling with our settings each time
      >we install a new version of NTP, we can just take NotePro.ini out
      >of the old folder and put it in the new folder, and we get instant
      >settings?
      >
      >Thanks,
      >David.

      I would like to maybe copy to the Clipboard a message with '>' and
      have a Clip to remove them before copying to a new message.

      Jack

    • Carl Swann
      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 30, 1998
        jfulmer@... wrote:

        > Jody,

        Carl here... ;-)

        > Is there a 'Clip' that will remove the '>' flags from E-mail messages.
        > some times I want to send on a portion of a previously quoted message
        > and have to manually remove the '>' signs from a long section of the
        > old message.

        Here's one I use:

        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 30, 1998
          Jack... I should have specified in the ">-remover" clip about the
          "replace line"

          You'll have to manually rewrite the line into your own clip because the
          Copy function in windows will see only blank spaces between the ">" and
          the "TIWSA" instructor.
          As you know, NoteTab needs to be told what to replace ">" with --
          therefore, rewrite the line this way:

          !REPLACE:>[space][space}[tab] TIWSA

          Of course, use the space bar to make the "spaces" and the "tab" button
          to make the tab, then write TIWSA. It should work fine!

          oOOo-(_)-oOOo

        • Lawrence R. Thomas
          Message 4 of 21 , Aug 30, 1998
            Hi Carl and Jack,

            At 10:45 AM 8/30/98 -0400, you wrote:
            >jfulmer@... wrote:
            >>
            >> Jody,
            >
            >Carl here... ;-)
            >>
            >> Is there a 'Clip' that will remove the '>' flags from E-mail messages.
            >> some times I want to send on a portion of a previously quoted message
            >> and have to manually remove the '>' signs from a long section of the
            >> old message.
            >
            >Here's one I use:

            The above clip can also be written as:

            ^!TOOLBAR:SELECT ALL
            ^!TOOLBAR:E-mail Unquote
            ^!TOOLBAR:LEFT ALIGN
            ^!JUMP Doc_Start

            >-------- use above this line-----------
            >
            >It also left aligns all lines; I usually follow with this one that I
            >call Quick Wrap (which I think I got from Jody ;-)
            >
            >--------- use below -----------
            >
            >^!TOOLBAR Select All
            >^!SetColumnWrap 60
            >^!TOOLBAR Join Lines
            >^!TOOLBAR Left Align
            >^!FocusDoc
            >^!TOOLBAR Select All
            >^!TOOLBAR Split Lines
            >^!JUMP Line_Start
            >
            >------ use above -------
            >
            >The above takes the ">-eliminated" paragraphs and joins each paragraph
            >into a long line, then splits the long lines into left-justified
            >paragraphs 60 characters long.
            >
            >If you wished, you could unite the two clips into a full e-mail TidyUp
            >clip -- I like having them separate. These are simple examples of how
            >Eric's clip language can be used for everyday file and document
            >management chores (they're simple because I remain one of the list's
            >"eternal newbies") ;-)

            The two clips above can be combined as follows:

            ^!TOOLBAR:SELECT ALL
            ^!TOOLBAR:E-mail Unquote
            ^!TOOLBAR:LEFT ALIGN
            ^!SetColumnWrap 60
            ^!TOOLBAR Join Lines
            ^!TOOLBAR Left Align
            ^!TOOLBAR Split Lines
            ^!JUMP Line_Start

            I have tested this and it works for me.

            >Hope this helps...
            >--

            > (o o) "Starting slow, and coasting downhill from there"
            >oOOo-(_)-oOOo

            Larry Thomas
            larryt@...

          • Jody Adair
            Message 5 of 21 , Aug 30, 1998
              Hi Jack,

              >I would like to maybe copy to the Clipboard a message
              >with '>' and have a Clip to remove them before copying
              >to a new message.

              ^!KeyBoard Ctrl+N Ctrl+V Ctrl+A Ctrl+Shift+Q Ctrl+Home

              You can do that manually...

              Ctrl+N = New Document
              Ctrl+V = Paste from ClipBoard
              Ctrl+A = Select All
              Ctrl+Shift+Q = E-Mail UnQuote
              Ctrl+Home = Moves cursor to Top of Page

              ...or set up your Toolbar/Shortcut menu to do it
              which would be the equivalent to (without the jump):

              ^!ToolBar New Document
              ^!Paste
              ^!ToolBar Select All
              ^!ToolBar E-Mail UnQuote
              ^!Jump Doc_Start

              In my original e-Mail "Zapper" library which is long
              due an overhaul (as far as the web copy goes) I was
              using a series of...

              ^!REPLACE:> WA

              ...in all sorts of fashion before we had or I knew
              about e-Mail UnQuote. I had up to about 6 lines of
              those in various forms trying to get the possible
              combinations that might occur.

              I've been working on a new Mail Library that is
              intended to go hand in hand with Eudora which is one
              more of my few major projects near completion. I'm
              sure can be modified to other mail programs that use
              Keyboard shortcuts. Even without them there are a
              number of clips in it that might be of use to some of
              you.

            • jfulmer@foxinternet.net
              Message 6 of 21 , Aug 30, 1998
                Larry,

                Your modification and combination of Carl's 'Clips' seemed to work
                fine. A few of the lines where not properly wrapped - there were a few
                'Long/Short' lines.

                I also received a error message:

                Error could not launch 'SetColumnWrap60'
                Application not found or incorrect command

                Your efforts on my behave greatly appreciated.

                Jack

              • jfulmer@foxinternet.net
                Message 7 of 21 , Aug 30, 1998
                  Carl,

                  I modified the 1st part of the two part clip for modifying a e-mail
                  message as follows:

                  ^!TOOLBAR:SELECT ALL
                  ^!REPLACE:> TIWSA
                  ^!JUMP Doc_Start
                  ^!TOOLBAR:SELECT ALL
                  ^!TOOLBAR:LEFT ALIGN
                  ^!JUMP Doc_Start

                  <********************><Schnip><********************>

                  When I ran it I got the error message:

                  Error could not launch 'JumpDoc_Start'
                  Application not found or incorrect command

                  I used the keyboard to edit the command as you suggested in the
                  !REPLACE line - should I have used the DEL key to shorten the space
                  between the {tab} entry and TIWSA?

                  Jack

                • Eric G.V. Fookes
                  Message 8 of 21 , Aug 30, 1998
                    Hi Jack,

                    >When I ran it I got the error message:
                    >
                    > Error could not launch 'JumpDoc_Start'
                    > Application not found or incorrect command
                    >
                    >I used the keyboard to edit the command as you suggested in the
                    >!REPLACE line - should I have used the DEL key to shorten the space
                    >between the {tab} entry and TIWSA?

                    Looks like you are not using the beta of version 4.5. The current version
                    requires a colon after the command name:

                    ^!TOOLBAR:SELECT ALL
                    ^!REPLACE:> TIWSA
                    ^!JUMP:Doc_Start
                    ^!TOOLBAR:SELECT ALL
                    ^!TOOLBAR:LEFT ALIGN
                    ^!JUMP:Doc_Start

                    Hope this helps!

                    Best regards,
                    Eric G.V. Fookes <fookes@...>
                    Author of the award-winning NoteTab text editors for Windows
                    and also the 1998 "People's Choice" award!

                  • jfulmer@foxinternet.net
                    Message 9 of 21 , Aug 30, 1998
                      Jody,

                      Would I need the Beta 5 program to make this work? When I use the
                      manual approach, it appears to make the reformat without the > as long
                      as the document remains highlighted. However when I take my fingers
                      off the Ctrl+Shift+Q keys, it reverts to a unhighlighted copy and
                      without the changes.

                      When I use the auto approach with the Clip, I get a error message to
                      the effect that it cannot accept ToolBar commands.

                      Jack

                      P.s. This is exciting watching it come together for the first time. I
                      actually got a 'Clip' to function.. <g>

                    • jfulmer@foxinternet.net
                      Message 10 of 21 , Aug 30, 1998
                        Eric,

                        >Looks like you are not using the beta of version 4.5. The current
                        >version
                        >requires a colon after the command name:

                        ^!TOOLBAR:SELECT ALL
                        ^!REPLACE:> TIWSA
                        ^!JUMP:Doc_Start
                        ^!TOOLBAR:SELECT ALL
                        ^!TOOLBAR:LEFT ALIGN
                        ^!JUMP:Doc_Start

                        <********************><Schnip><********************>

                        Nope that did not help, I will download the 4.5 version and see what
                        happens.

                        Jack

                      • Jody Adair
                        Message 11 of 21 , Aug 30, 1998
                          Hi Jack,

                          When I use the
                          >manual approach, it appears to make the reformat without the > as long
                          >as the document remains highlighted. However when I take my fingers
                          >off the Ctrl+Shift+Q keys, it reverts to a unhighlighted copy and
                          >without the changes.

                          Works fine for me in the latest version.

                          >When I use the auto approach with the Clip, I get a error message to
                          >the effect that it cannot accept ToolBar commands.
                          >Would I need the Beta 5 program to make this work?

                          Yes or a very recent that hasn't expired. :)

                        • Lawrence R. Thomas
                          Message 12 of 21 , Aug 30, 1998
                            Hi Eric,

                            At 11:14 PM 8/30/98 +0200, you wrote:
                            >Hi Jack,
                            >
                            >>When I ran it I got the error message:
                            >>
                            >> Error could not launch 'JumpDoc_Start'
                            >> Application not found or incorrect command
                            >>
                            >>I used the keyboard to edit the command as you suggested in the
                            >>!REPLACE line - should I have used the DEL key to shorten the space
                            >>between the {tab} entry and TIWSA?
                            >
                            >Looks like you are not using the beta of version 4.5. The current version
                            >requires a colon after the command name:
                            >
                            >^!TOOLBAR:SELECT ALL
                            >^!REPLACE:> TIWSA
                            >^!JUMP:Doc_Start
                            >^!TOOLBAR:SELECT ALL
                            >^!TOOLBAR:LEFT ALIGN
                            >^!JUMP:Doc_Start
                            >
                            >Hope this helps!
                            >
                            >Best regards,
                            >Eric G.V. Fookes <fookes@...>

                            I must have a different copy of the beta than you. I have 4.5 Final Beta
                            5c and the commands work with or without a colon (:) but I do have to use a
                            space if I don't use a colon. I think that Jack is using 4.011. If he had
                            an old beta, it surely would have timed out by now.

                            Regards,

                            Larry Thomas
                            larryt@...

                          • jfulmer@foxinternet.net
                            Message 13 of 21 , Aug 30, 1998
                              Jody,

                              > ^!ToolBar New Document
                              > ^!Paste
                              > ^!ToolBar Select All
                              > ^!ToolBar E-Mail UnQuote
                              > ^!Jump Doc_Start

                              Yes, Yes, Yes!!! With the ver 4.5 final beta 5c the above worked just
                              great.

                              Thank you,

                              Jack

                            • Nicole Simon
                              Message 14 of 21 , Aug 31, 1998
                                jfulmer@... wrote:
                                > Is there a 'Clip' that will remove the '>' flags from E-mail messages.
                                > some times I want to send on a portion of a previously quoted message
                                > and have to manually remove the '>' signs from a long section of the
                                > old message. (Something like the following sample):

                                Have you tried to select all (ctrl-a) or a part and
                                then use shift-ctrl-e for 'unqouting'?

                                Nicole
                                --
                                Money is a powerful aphrodisiac, but flowers work almost as well.
                                Robert A. Heinlein

                              • DaddyVL
                                Message 15 of 21 , Aug 31, 1998
                                  At 12:45 PM 8/31/98 GMT, you wrote:
                                  >jfulmer@... wrote:
                                  >> Is there a 'Clip' that will remove the '>' flags from E-mail messages.
                                  >> some times I want to send on a portion of a previously quoted message
                                  >> and have to manually remove the '>' signs from a long section of the
                                  >> old message. (Something like the following sample):
                                  >
                                  >Have you tried to select all (ctrl-a) or a part and
                                  >then use shift-ctrl-e for 'unqouting'?
                                  >
                                  >Nicole

                                  Hi Nicole
                                  I just copied then pasted to a new 'txt' in notetab4.5 b5c.
                                  I did ctrl-a then shift-ctrl-e
                                  it did nothing to original, created another tab titled "[clip]" that is blank

                                  what am i missing here?

                                  Regards,
                                  Clifford in Houston

                                • Jody Adair
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Aug 31, 1998
                                    Hi DaddyVL,

                                    >>Have you tried to select all (ctrl-a) or a part and
                                    >>then use shift-ctrl-e for 'unqouting'?

                                    >I did ctrl-a then shift-ctrl-e
                                    >it did nothing to original, created another tab titled "[clip]"
                                    that is blank

                                    Ni' may have meant Shift+Ctrl+Q

                                    shift-ctrl-e opens the clip Editor to whatever clip you
                                    are sitting at. I suspect you were on an empty one. :)

                                  • Jody Adair
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Aug 31, 1998
                                      Hi DaddyVL,

                                      >>Shift+Ctrl+Q
                                      >>
                                      >Yes - that worked (except on "'>'" which is probably on purpose..??)

                                      If you meant it is not removing them I sispect you did not select
                                      the text first. Either select a portion with the mouse (or keyboard)
                                      or Ctrl+A (or Toolbar/Shortcut menu - see options) to select it all.

                                      >focus was on pasted email - no clips open, I don't edit clips, still
                                      >working on getting green belt, let alone brown or black....

                                      Try Eric's FormatE-mail library out.

                                    • DaddyVL
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Aug 31, 1998

                                        Message 19 of 21 , Aug 31, 1998
                                          Hi DaddyVL,

                                          >>Either select a portion with the mouse (or keyboard)
                                          >>or Ctrl+A (or Toolbar/Shortcut menu - see options) to select it all.

                                          You are leaving out Ctrl+A or any method of selecting all text.
                                          You can select only the text that you want to unquote and only
                                          the selected will be effected. NoteTab will only get the ">"
                                          signs when they are the start of a new line, therefore, e-mail
                                          addresses will not be effected and rightly so.

                                          In mail program:
                                          ctrl-a <--- Select All
                                          ctrl-c <--- Copy

                                          In NoteTab:
                                          ctrl-n <--- Omit if new doc is focused.
                                          ctrl-v <--- Paste
                                          ctrl-a
                                          shift-ctrl-q <--- E-Mail UnQuote

                                          this will still have greater than in it. '>'
                                          also addresses in header will still have greater thans in them
                                          (not complaining, just commenting)

                                          If you so not want the headers/footers try selecting only
                                          the text you want and then:

                                          Message 20 of 21 , Aug 31, 1998
                                            At 04:45 PM 8/31/98 -0500, you wrote:
                                            >Hi DaddyVL,
                                            >
                                            >>>Shift+Ctrl+Q
                                            >>>
                                            >>Yes - that worked (except on "'>'" which is probably on purpose..??)
                                            >
                                            >If you meant it is not removing them I sispect you did not select
                                            >the text first. Either select a portion with the mouse (or keyboard)
                                            >or Ctrl+A (or Toolbar/Shortcut menu - see options) to select it all.

                                            do ctrl-a on this msg
                                            then ctrl-c
                                            switch to new file in notetab
                                            do ctrl-v
                                            do shift-ctrl-q

                                            Message 21 of 21 , Sep 1, 1998
                                              Jody Adair wrote:
                                              > Ni' may have meant Shift+Ctrl+Q

                                              Jep, I meant this - I normaly only press the keys and don't look at it. :)

                                              Nicole