SP2 problem

  • harvsegal
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 10, 2006
      I've finally upgraded from SP1 to SP2 as in the past
      I was aware of problems with SP2/NoteTab.

      All is fine except for one thing.

      In Windows Explorer if I double click on a txt file
      nothing happens if NoteTab is already open. And if
      NoteTab is not open it just opens it on a new empty file
      (NoName01.txt).

      Note that I have added a NoteTab associated file
      extension of txt - and when I click on Properties it
      correctly says "Opens with NoteTab Pro".

      Also if I click on "Open With .... NoteTab Pro"
      the file does open correctly.

      It's just the double click which is failing

      I'm using NoteTab Pro 4.95

      Harvey
    • Jeff Scism
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 10, 2006
        Sounds like a MOUSE click problem, usually Mouse properties have an
        click speed adjustment.

        ~~

        Jeffery Scism,
        USGenWeb Project Local Coordinator Rep
        NC/NE region

        harvsegal wrote:

        >I've finally upgraded from SP1 to SP2 as in the past
        >I was aware of problems with SP2/NoteTab.
        >
        >All is fine except for one thing.
        >
        >In Windows Explorer if I double click on a txt file
        >nothing happens if NoteTab is already open. And if
        >NoteTab is not open it just opens it on a new empty file
        >(NoName01.txt).
        >
        >Note that I have added a NoteTab associated file
        >extension of txt - and when I click on Properties it
        >correctly says "Opens with NoteTab Pro".
        >
        >Also if I click on "Open With .... NoteTab Pro"
        >the file does open correctly.
        >
        >It's just the double click which is failing
        >
        >I'm using NoteTab Pro 4.95
        >

        >Harvey

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • harvsegal
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 10, 2006
          It's not a mouse click problem because files
          with other extensions open OK.

          --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Scism <scismgenie@...> wrote:

          > Sounds like a MOUSE click problem, usually Mouse properties have
          an
          > click speed adjustment.
          >
          > ~~
          >
          > Jeffery Scism,
          > USGenWeb Project Local Coordinator Rep
          > NC/NE region
          >

          > harvsegal wrote:
          >
          > >I've finally upgraded from SP1 to SP2 as in the past
          > >I was aware of problems with SP2/NoteTab.
          > >
          > >All is fine except for one thing.
          > >
          > >In Windows Explorer if I double click on a txt file
          > >nothing happens if NoteTab is already open. And if
          > >NoteTab is not open it just opens it on a new empty file
          > >(NoName01.txt).
          > >
          > >Note that I have added a NoteTab associated file
          > >extension of txt - and when I click on Properties it
          > >correctly says "Opens with NoteTab Pro".
          > >
          > >Also if I click on "Open With .... NoteTab Pro"
          > >the file does open correctly.
          > >
          > >It's just the double click which is failing
          > >
          > >I'm using NoteTab Pro 4.95
          > >

          > >Harvey
        • Stan Blazejewski
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 10, 2006
            2 questions....

            I've been running NoteTab Pro & SP2 for ages, haven't noticed any problems, what
            problems are there supposed to be?

            Re: double clicking, did you set up the 'txt' association manually or did you
            use the 'replace MS notepad' from within NTP/help? If you set it assn'
            manually, you might try via NTP/help & see if that fixes the problem.

            On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 20:50:40 -0000, you wrote:

            >I've finally upgraded from SP1 to SP2 as in the past
            >I was aware of problems with SP2/NoteTab.
            >
            >All is fine except for one thing.
            >
            >In Windows Explorer if I double click on a txt file
            >nothing happens if NoteTab is already open. And if
            >NoteTab is not open it just opens it on a new empty file
            >(NoName01.txt).
            >
            >Note that I have added a NoteTab associated file
            >extension of txt - and when I click on Properties it
            >correctly says "Opens with NoteTab Pro".
            >
            >Also if I click on "Open With .... NoteTab Pro"
            >the file does open correctly.
            >
            >It's just the double click which is failing
            >
            >I'm using NoteTab Pro 4.95
            >

            >Harvey

            >Yahoo! Groups Links

            stanblaz@...
          • harvsegal
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 10, 2006
              >>I've been running NoteTab Pro & SP2 for ages, haven't noticed any
              >>problems, what problems are there supposed to be?

              The main problem was that 'View Source' in Internet Explorer
              would revert to Notepad.

              >>Re: double clicking, did you set up the 'txt' association
              >> manually or did you use the 'replace MS notepad' from
              >> within NTP/help? If you set it assn' manually, you might
              >> try via NTP/help & see if that fixes the problem.

              I did both

              *** NOTE ***

              I should have mentioned: when clicking on Replace MS Notepad
              I get "feature may fail due to Windows File Protection"

              Previously Jody had said about this

              "When you get the warning click on Cancel and then you
              will get another message from Windows. Click Yes in it."

              In this case I did not get the option to cancel.

              Harvey

              --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Stan Blazejewski <stanblaz@...>
              wrote:

              > 2 questions....
              >
              > I've been running NoteTab Pro & SP2 for ages, haven't noticed any
              problems, what
              > problems are there supposed to be?
              >
              > Re: double clicking, did you set up the 'txt' association manually
              or did you
              > use the 'replace MS notepad' from within NTP/help? If you set it
              assn'
              > manually, you might try via NTP/help & see if that fixes the
              problem.

              > On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 20:50:40 -0000, you wrote:
              >

              > >I've finally upgraded from SP1 to SP2 as in the past
              > >I was aware of problems with SP2/NoteTab.
              > >
              > >All is fine except for one thing.
              > >
              > >In Windows Explorer if I double click on a txt file
              > >nothing happens if NoteTab is already open. And if
              > >NoteTab is not open it just opens it on a new empty file
              > >(NoName01.txt).
              > >
              > >Note that I have added a NoteTab associated file
              > >extension of txt - and when I click on Properties it
              > >correctly says "Opens with NoteTab Pro".
              > >
              > >Also if I click on "Open With .... NoteTab Pro"
              > >the file does open correctly.
              > >
              > >It's just the double click which is failing
              > >
              > >I'm using NoteTab Pro 4.95
              > >

              > >Harvey
            • Stan Blazejewski
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 11, 2006
                On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 04:36:49 -0000, you wrote:

                >>>I've been running NoteTab Pro & SP2 for ages, haven't noticed any
                >>>problems, what problems are there supposed to be?
                >
                >The main problem was that 'View Source' in Internet Explorer
                >would revert to Notepad.
                >

                >>>Re: double clicking, did you set up the 'txt' association
                >>> manually or did you use the 'replace MS notepad' from
                >>> within NTP/help? If you set it assn' manually, you might
                >>> try via NTP/help & see if that fixes the problem.
                >
                >I did both
                >

                >*** NOTE ***
                >
                >I should have mentioned: when clicking on Replace MS Notepad
                >I get "feature may fail due to Windows File Protection"
                >
                >Previously Jody had said about this
                >
                >"When you get the warning click on Cancel and then you
                >will get another message from Windows. Click Yes in it."
                >
                >In this case I did not get the option to cancel.

                I get the same happening here. Actually is strange to watch ... delete or
                rename 'notepad.exe' and it magically reappears!

                Another thing you could try is go to Control panel and depending on what control
                panel view you are using, either go to 'Appearance & Themes/Folder options' or
                just 'Folder Options'. A window will pop up, click on the 'File Types' tab
                scroll down to TXT. If you have the option to delete (if not grayed) then do
                so, close & use NoteTab to 'Replace MS Notepad'. If you can't delete, try
                'change' to notepad & apply then change it back to NoteTab & apply again, that
                may fix the association.

                Let me know how it goes.

                PS, if you don't feel safe doing any of the above, the worst that can happen is
                that you may loose the TXT association, in which case you will be asked what you
                want TXT associated with the next time you double click on it so the world won't
                end.

                >Harvey
                >
                >--- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Stan Blazejewski <stanblaz@...>
                >wrote:
                >>
                >> 2 questions....
                >>
                >> I've been running NoteTab Pro & SP2 for ages, haven't noticed any
                >problems, what
                >> problems are there supposed to be?
                >>
                >> Re: double clicking, did you set up the 'txt' association manually
                >or did you
                >> use the 'replace MS notepad' from within NTP/help? If you set it
                >assn'
                >> manually, you might try via NTP/help & see if that fixes the
                >problem.
                >>
                >> On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 20:50:40 -0000, you wrote:
                >>

                >> >I've finally upgraded from SP1 to SP2 as in the past
                >> >I was aware of problems with SP2/NoteTab.
                >> >
                >> >All is fine except for one thing.
                >> >
                >> >In Windows Explorer if I double click on a txt file
                >> >nothing happens if NoteTab is already open. And if
                >> >NoteTab is not open it just opens it on a new empty file
                >> >(NoName01.txt).
                >> >
                >> >Note that I have added a NoteTab associated file
                >> >extension of txt - and when I click on Properties it
                >> >correctly says "Opens with NoteTab Pro".
                >> >
                >> >Also if I click on "Open With .... NoteTab Pro"
                >> >the file does open correctly.
                >> >
                >> >It's just the double click which is failing
                >> >
                >> >I'm using NoteTab Pro 4.95
                >> >

                >> >Harvey

                >Yahoo! Groups Links

                stanblaz@...
              • harvsegal
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 11, 2006
                  Problem solved !!!

                  >>Another thing you could try is go to Control panel and
                  >>depending on what control panel view you are using,
                  >>either go to 'Appearance & Themes/Folder options' or
                  >>just 'Folder Options'. A window will pop up, click on
                  >>the 'File Types' tab scroll down to TXT.

                  I did have the association 'NoteTab Pro' however it said
                  the default was 'NoteTab Pro txt File'

                  So I reverted to that and it works fine.

                  Thanks for your help