Re: [NTB] Transferring settings from 4.95 to 5

  • bruce.somers@web.de
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 4, 2006
      Thanks Alec, Alex and Brian for actual support attemps. I appreciate them.

      > Notetab creates a key called Application in the registry:
      > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\EF Notetab\Application

      Ow! I note that I overlooked the upper-case A in "Failed to create key Application." Thanks.

      > Is there any chance you have firewall etc. blocking Notetab from
      > using the internet when it attemps to run first time?

      No. I normally establish an internet connection before I start any programs (other than those in the Startup) and it asks allow/deny if any program attempts to access the internet on its iwn. There is also no good reason for an editor to connect to the internet without asking. A setup program - yes, an editor - no.

      > Notetab creates a key called Application in the registry:
      > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\EF Notetab\Application

      Now it gets complicated! I find an entry
      HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\EF Notepro\Application
      in my registry. It has entries
      ab(standard)..........REG_SZ......no value set)
      abMainDirectory......REG_SZ
      abVersion...............REG_SZ......4950

      ab has the appearance of an icon, but clicking on it does nothing.

      This is obviously for version 4.95 -- how do I go about creating a separate entry for version 5 ?

      Thanks for the tips.

      Bruce
    • dave
      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 4, 2006
        Hi
        is this person the administrator sounds as though he is not.??
        THANKYOU DAVE M

        > Op vrijdag 4 augustus 2006 00:20 schreef Alec Burgess(g):
        >
        >> Bruce:
        >>> Failed to create key Application
        >> Maybe this has something to do with how the key and registration
        >> security works?
        >> Is there any chance you have firewall etc. blocking Notetab from
        >> using the internet when it attemps to run first time?
        >
        > Notetab creates a key called Application in the registry:
        > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\EF Notetab\Application
        >
        > but why creation fails isn't clear to me...
        >
        > Alex.

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • dave
        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 4, 2006
          Hi
          If this was me I would move the original version some where safe ,then
          install notetab where it wants once that's done, before you restart ntp5
          copy the libraries that Eric said to into the library folder then copy your
          favorites into the new C:\Documents and Settings\xx\Application Data\NoteTab
          Pro has got , then copy the contents of your old ini from [options] to the
          end and paste into the new one ,when you restart everything will be as it
          was before .
          THANKYOU DAVE M

          > Thanks Alec, Alex and Brian for actual support attemps. I appreciate them.
          >
          >> Notetab creates a key called Application in the registry:
          >> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\EF Notetab\Application
          >
          > Ow! I note that I overlooked the upper-case A in "Failed to create key
          > Application." Thanks.
          >
          >> Is there any chance you have firewall etc. blocking Notetab from
          >> using the internet when it attemps to run first time?
          >
          > No. I normally establish an internet connection before I start any
          > programs (other than those in the Startup) and it asks allow/deny if any
          > program attempts to access the internet on its iwn. There is also no good
          > reason for an editor to connect to the internet without asking. A setup
          > program - yes, an editor - no.
          >
          >> Notetab creates a key called Application in the registry:
          >> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\EF Notetab\Application
          >
          > Now it gets complicated! I find an entry
          > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\EF Notepro\Application
          > in my registry. It has entries
          > ab(standard)..........REG_SZ......no value set)
          > abMainDirectory......REG_SZ
          > abVersion...............REG_SZ......4950
          >
          > ab has the appearance of an icon, but clicking on it does nothing.
          >
          > This is obviously for version 4.95 -- how do I go about creating a
          > separate entry for version 5 ?
          >
          > Thanks for the tips.
          >
          > Bruce

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • dave
          Message 4 of 21 , Aug 4, 2006
            Hi
            copy you own libraries into the new version not what I said previously
            sorry.
            THANKYOU DAVE M

            > Thanks Alec, Alex and Brian for actual support attemps. I appreciate them.
            >
            >> Notetab creates a key called Application in the registry:
            >> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\EF Notetab\Application
            >
            > Ow! I note that I overlooked the upper-case A in "Failed to create key
            > Application." Thanks.
            >
            >> Is there any chance you have firewall etc. blocking Notetab from
            >> using the internet when it attemps to run first time?
            >
            > No. I normally establish an internet connection before I start any
            > programs (other than those in the Startup) and it asks allow/deny if any
            > program attempts to access the internet on its iwn. There is also no good
            > reason for an editor to connect to the internet without asking. A setup
            > program - yes, an editor - no.
            >
            >> Notetab creates a key called Application in the registry:
            >> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\EF Notetab\Application
            >
            > Now it gets complicated! I find an entry
            > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\EF Notepro\Application
            > in my registry. It has entries
            > ab(standard)..........REG_SZ......no value set)
            > abMainDirectory......REG_SZ
            > abVersion...............REG_SZ......4950
            >
            > ab has the appearance of an icon, but clicking on it does nothing.
            >
            > This is obviously for version 4.95 -- how do I go about creating a
            > separate entry for version 5 ?
            >
            > Thanks for the tips.
            >
            > Bruce

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • hsavage
            Message 5 of 21 , Aug 4, 2006
              Alex Plantema wrote:
              > Op vrijdag 4 augustus 2006 00:20 schreef Alec Burgess(g):
              >
              >> Bruce:
              >>> Failed to create key Application
              >> Maybe this has something to do with how the key and registration
              >> security works?
              >
              > Notetab creates a key called Application in the registry:
              > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\EF Notetab\Application
              >
              > but why creation fails isn't clear to me...
              >
              > Alex.

              Alex,

              I became curious about this registry key and checked my own registry, it
              isn't there. Could it be it's only created if one has allowed NoteTab
              to write to the registry instead of an inifile? :-\

              I've been using NoteTab for quite a while and the one thing I've avoided
              is using the registry in place of NotePro/Tab inifile.

              This is all to say with the error message 'Failed to create key
              Application' one should probably look elsewhere. :-(

              ºvº
              06.08.04_08.43
              "Chaos, Panic, & Disorder - My work here is done."
              hrs ø hsavage@...
            • Alex Plantema
              Message 6 of 21 , Aug 4, 2006
                Op vrijdag 4 augustus 2006 16:55 schreef hsavage:

                > I became curious about this registry key and checked my own registry,
                > it isn't there. Could it be it's only created if one has allowed
                > NoteTab to write to the registry instead of an inifile? :-\

                That's quite possible, as I marked Store settings in Registry, because using the ini file instead of the registry requires administrative permissions, which is considered unsafe practice, and doesn't allow separate user settings. Version 5 always uses the registry, there's no choice.

                > I've been using NoteTab for quite a while and the one thing I've
                > avoided is using the registry in place of NotePro/Tab inifile.

                Alex.
              • Alec Burgess(g)
                Message 7 of 21 , Aug 4, 2006
                  Alex:
                  >Version 5 always uses the registry, there's no choice.

                  I don't think that's correct. One of the big changes Eric made for V5 is to
                  support separate user files in C:\Documents and
                  Settings\{username}\Application Data\NoteTab Pro

                  In fact, AFAICT the Options/Advanced "store settings in registry" in the 4.x
                  series has been removed!

                  I haven't followed exactly what you're doing .... but maybe you could try
                  changing that option in your 4.96 version (at least temporarily). Possibly
                  there is some bug in ntb5 that is getting confused by leftovers from the
                  4.96 setting.

                  Hopefully changing the option in 4.96 will remove the detrius in the
                  registry allowing a clean install of ntb 5.

                  Regards ... Alec

                • bruce.somers@web.de
                  Message 8 of 21 , Aug 6, 2006
                    Please - what should the version no. be in the ini-ile for NotePro 5 ? 5 or perhaps 5000 ?Mine has

                    [Application]
                    UseRegistry=0
                    Version=4950

                    Thanks Bruce
                  • hsavage
                    Message 9 of 21 , Aug 6, 2006
                      bruce.somers@... wrote:
                      > Please - what should the version no. be in the ini-ile for NotePro 5
                      ? 5 or perhaps 5000 ?Mine has

                      > [Application]
                      > UseRegistry=0
                      > Version=4950
                      >
                      > Thanks Bruce

                      Bruce,

                      My inifile has Version=5000. Although it is correct for V5 I don't
                      recall changing it so I guess it was auto-generated. I don't know if it
                      makes much difference but, you could edit it yourself if you're running V5.

                      Just load NotePro.ini into the edit window, change 4950 to 5000, save
                      that changed file as !NotePro.ini, with a leading exclamation mark in
                      the name, Shut down NoteTab completely and restart. NoteTab will pick
                      up and use the edited inifile overwriting the old file the next time you
                      close NoteTab.

                      ºvº
                      06.08.06_10.55
                      "Communication Skills I; Tears - The Last Resort, Not the First."
                      hrs ø hsavage@...
                    • bruce.somers@web.de
                      Message 10 of 21 , Aug 6, 2006
                        hsavage <hsavage@...> wrote
                        > My inifile has Version=5000

                        Thank you very much!
                        My ini-file consisted only of
                        [Application]
                        UseRegistry=1
                        Version=4950

                        I changed it to
                        [Application]
                        UseRegistry=0
                        Version=5000

                        Although I did not save it as !NotePro.ini, NotePro suddenly has created a much, much longer ini-file. And I no longer get the message
                        Failed to create key Application

                        I was just about to write that I cannot find the option to open the window always with the same size and position, when I remembered to right-click on the title bar. Good enough.

                        I copied the [History] section from my 4.95 ini-file into the new one. hoping to to retrieve my list of open files, but that doesn't seem to do the trick.

                        Thanks for the assistance.

                        Bruce