Re: [NTB] Transferring settings from 4.95 to 5

  • Alec Burgess(g)
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 3, 2006
      Bruce:
      > Failed to create key Application
      Maybe this has something to do with how the key and registration security
      works?
      Is there any chance you have firewall etc. blocking Notetab from using the
      internet when it attemps to run first time?
      Regards ... Alec
      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 3, 2006
        Op vrijdag 4 augustus 2006 00:20 schreef Alec Burgess(g):

        > Bruce:
        >> Failed to create key Application
        > Maybe this has something to do with how the key and registration
        > security works?
        > Is there any chance you have firewall etc. blocking Notetab from
        > using the internet when it attemps to run first time?

        Notetab creates a key called Application in the registry:
        HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\EF Notetab\Application

        but why creation fails isn't clear to me...

        Alex.
      • Brian Mailman
        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 3, 2006
          Alex Plantema wrote:

          > Notetab creates a key called Application in the registry:
          > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\EF Notetab\Application
          >
          > but why creation fails isn't clear to me...

          The simple fix sounds like Start > Run > regedit and then when registry
          opens, copy/paste, add the key manually.

          B/
        • bruce.somers@web.de
          Message 4 of 21 , Aug 4, 2006
            Thanks Alec, Alex and Brian for actual support attemps. I appreciate them.

            > Notetab creates a key called Application in the registry:
            > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\EF Notetab\Application

            Ow! I note that I overlooked the upper-case A in "Failed to create key Application." Thanks.

            > Is there any chance you have firewall etc. blocking Notetab from
            > using the internet when it attemps to run first time?

            No. I normally establish an internet connection before I start any programs (other than those in the Startup) and it asks allow/deny if any program attempts to access the internet on its iwn. There is also no good reason for an editor to connect to the internet without asking. A setup program - yes, an editor - no.

            > Notetab creates a key called Application in the registry:
            > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\EF Notetab\Application

            Now it gets complicated! I find an entry
            HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\EF Notepro\Application
            in my registry. It has entries
            ab(standard)..........REG_SZ......no value set)
            abMainDirectory......REG_SZ
            abVersion...............REG_SZ......4950

            ab has the appearance of an icon, but clicking on it does nothing.

            This is obviously for version 4.95 -- how do I go about creating a separate entry for version 5 ?

            Thanks for the tips.

            Bruce
          • dave
            Message 5 of 21 , Aug 4, 2006
              Hi
              is this person the administrator sounds as though he is not.??
              THANKYOU DAVE M

              > Op vrijdag 4 augustus 2006 00:20 schreef Alec Burgess(g):
              >
              >> Bruce:
              >>> Failed to create key Application
              >> Maybe this has something to do with how the key and registration
              >> security works?
              >> Is there any chance you have firewall etc. blocking Notetab from
              >> using the internet when it attemps to run first time?
              >
              > Notetab creates a key called Application in the registry:
              > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\EF Notetab\Application
              >
              > but why creation fails isn't clear to me...
              >
              > Alex.

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • dave
              Message 6 of 21 , Aug 4, 2006
                Hi
                If this was me I would move the original version some where safe ,then
                install notetab where it wants once that's done, before you restart ntp5
                copy the libraries that Eric said to into the library folder then copy your
                favorites into the new C:\Documents and Settings\xx\Application Data\NoteTab
                Pro has got , then copy the contents of your old ini from [options] to the
                end and paste into the new one ,when you restart everything will be as it
                was before .
                THANKYOU DAVE M

                > Thanks Alec, Alex and Brian for actual support attemps. I appreciate them.
                >
                >> Notetab creates a key called Application in the registry:
                >> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\EF Notetab\Application
                >
                > Ow! I note that I overlooked the upper-case A in "Failed to create key
                > Application." Thanks.
                >
                >> Is there any chance you have firewall etc. blocking Notetab from
                >> using the internet when it attemps to run first time?
                >
                > No. I normally establish an internet connection before I start any
                > programs (other than those in the Startup) and it asks allow/deny if any
                > program attempts to access the internet on its iwn. There is also no good
                > reason for an editor to connect to the internet without asking. A setup
                > program - yes, an editor - no.
                >
                >> Notetab creates a key called Application in the registry:
                >> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\EF Notetab\Application
                >
                > Now it gets complicated! I find an entry
                > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\EF Notepro\Application
                > in my registry. It has entries
                > ab(standard)..........REG_SZ......no value set)
                > abMainDirectory......REG_SZ
                > abVersion...............REG_SZ......4950
                >
                > ab has the appearance of an icon, but clicking on it does nothing.
                >
                > This is obviously for version 4.95 -- how do I go about creating a
                > separate entry for version 5 ?
                >
                > Thanks for the tips.
                >
                > Bruce

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • dave
                Message 7 of 21 , Aug 4, 2006
                  Hi
                  copy you own libraries into the new version not what I said previously
                  sorry.
                  THANKYOU DAVE M

                  > Thanks Alec, Alex and Brian for actual support attemps. I appreciate them.
                  >
                  >> Notetab creates a key called Application in the registry:
                  >> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\EF Notetab\Application
                  >
                  > Ow! I note that I overlooked the upper-case A in "Failed to create key
                  > Application." Thanks.
                  >
                  >> Is there any chance you have firewall etc. blocking Notetab from
                  >> using the internet when it attemps to run first time?
                  >
                  > No. I normally establish an internet connection before I start any
                  > programs (other than those in the Startup) and it asks allow/deny if any
                  > program attempts to access the internet on its iwn. There is also no good
                  > reason for an editor to connect to the internet without asking. A setup
                  > program - yes, an editor - no.
                  >
                  >> Notetab creates a key called Application in the registry:
                  >> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\EF Notetab\Application
                  >
                  > Now it gets complicated! I find an entry
                  > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\EF Notepro\Application
                  > in my registry. It has entries
                  > ab(standard)..........REG_SZ......no value set)
                  > abMainDirectory......REG_SZ
                  > abVersion...............REG_SZ......4950
                  >
                  > ab has the appearance of an icon, but clicking on it does nothing.
                  >
                  > This is obviously for version 4.95 -- how do I go about creating a
                  > separate entry for version 5 ?
                  >
                  > Thanks for the tips.
                  >
                  > Bruce

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • hsavage
                  Message 8 of 21 , Aug 4, 2006
                    Alex Plantema wrote:
                    > Op vrijdag 4 augustus 2006 00:20 schreef Alec Burgess(g):
                    >
                    >> Bruce:
                    >>> Failed to create key Application
                    >> Maybe this has something to do with how the key and registration
                    >> security works?
                    >
                    > Notetab creates a key called Application in the registry:
                    > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\EF Notetab\Application
                    >
                    > but why creation fails isn't clear to me...
                    >
                    > Alex.

                    Alex,

                    I became curious about this registry key and checked my own registry, it
                    isn't there. Could it be it's only created if one has allowed NoteTab
                    to write to the registry instead of an inifile? :-\

                    I've been using NoteTab for quite a while and the one thing I've avoided
                    is using the registry in place of NotePro/Tab inifile.

                    This is all to say with the error message 'Failed to create key
                    Application' one should probably look elsewhere. :-(

                    ºvº
                    06.08.04_08.43
                    "Chaos, Panic, & Disorder - My work here is done."
                    hrs ø hsavage@...
                  • Alex Plantema
                    Message 9 of 21 , Aug 4, 2006
                      Op vrijdag 4 augustus 2006 16:55 schreef hsavage:

                      > I became curious about this registry key and checked my own registry,
                      > it isn't there. Could it be it's only created if one has allowed
                      > NoteTab to write to the registry instead of an inifile? :-\

                      That's quite possible, as I marked Store settings in Registry, because using the ini file instead of the registry requires administrative permissions, which is considered unsafe practice, and doesn't allow separate user settings. Version 5 always uses the registry, there's no choice.

                      Message 10 of 21 , Aug 4, 2006
                        Alex:
                        >Version 5 always uses the registry, there's no choice.

                        I don't think that's correct. One of the big changes Eric made for V5 is to
                        support separate user files in C:\Documents and
                        Settings\{username}\Application Data\NoteTab Pro

                        In fact, AFAICT the Options/Advanced "store settings in registry" in the 4.x
                        series has been removed!

                        I haven't followed exactly what you're doing .... but maybe you could try
                        changing that option in your 4.96 version (at least temporarily). Possibly
                        there is some bug in ntb5 that is getting confused by leftovers from the
                        4.96 setting.

                        Hopefully changing the option in 4.96 will remove the detrius in the
                        registry allowing a clean install of ntb 5.

                        Regards ... Alec

                      • bruce.somers@web.de
                        Message 11 of 21 , Aug 6, 2006
                          Please - what should the version no. be in the ini-ile for NotePro 5 ? 5 or perhaps 5000 ?Mine has

                          [Application]
                          UseRegistry=0
                          Version=4950

                          Thanks Bruce
                        • hsavage
                          Message 12 of 21 , Aug 6, 2006
                            bruce.somers@... wrote:
                            > Please - what should the version no. be in the ini-ile for NotePro 5
                            ? 5 or perhaps 5000 ?Mine has

                            > [Application]
                            > UseRegistry=0
                            > Version=4950
                            >
                            > Thanks Bruce

                            Bruce,

                            My inifile has Version=5000. Although it is correct for V5 I don't
                            recall changing it so I guess it was auto-generated. I don't know if it
                            makes much difference but, you could edit it yourself if you're running V5.

                            Just load NotePro.ini into the edit window, change 4950 to 5000, save
                            that changed file as !NotePro.ini, with a leading exclamation mark in
                            the name, Shut down NoteTab completely and restart. NoteTab will pick
                            up and use the edited inifile overwriting the old file the next time you
                            close NoteTab.

                            ºvº
                            06.08.06_10.55
                            "Communication Skills I; Tears - The Last Resort, Not the First."
                            hrs ø hsavage@...
                          • bruce.somers@web.de
                            Message 13 of 21 , Aug 6, 2006
                              hsavage <hsavage@...> wrote
                              > My inifile has Version=5000

                              Thank you very much!
                              My ini-file consisted only of
                              [Application]
                              UseRegistry=1
                              Version=4950

                              I changed it to
                              [Application]
                              UseRegistry=0
                              Version=5000

                              Although I did not save it as !NotePro.ini, NotePro suddenly has created a much, much longer ini-file. And I no longer get the message
                              Failed to create key Application

                              I was just about to write that I cannot find the option to open the window always with the same size and position, when I remembered to right-click on the title bar. Good enough.

                              I copied the [History] section from my 4.95 ini-file into the new one. hoping to to retrieve my list of open files, but that doesn't seem to do the trick.

                              Thanks for the assistance.

                              Bruce